SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:26   #126
rugercat78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
I grew up a NASCAR fan. The 80s and 90s were the apex of the sport. Bobby and Davey, Ernie, Kyle, Rusty, Dale, Rudd, Waltrip, Gant, Martin, Terry Labonte, etc.

Those guys were NASCAR to me. Today's drivers are boring and the great tracks are gone, replaced with cookie cutter tri ovals.
Me too. I only listened to the last 20 laps on the radio while I was quilting and was really bored.

The cars aren't stock and most of the drivers are pretty boys.

I remember my dad reading the paper on Sunday afternoon with the race on the tv. Gosh, I miss those days...

Last edited by rugercat78; 02-27-2013 at 07:27..
rugercat78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:30   #127
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
I hope that's sarcasm.

I think there was around 30 lead changes in 200 laps during the Daytona 500 this year. That's a lead change every 6 laps on average only counting who was in lead at the start/finish line. And this is considered not much passing in NASCAR.

I read during one particular formula 1 race there were 2 lead changes.
Yep, Formula One races are not generally characterized by a lot of lead changes (unless it's Michael Schumacher [winner of 72% of all F1 races in 2004] mounting a charge from 16th to win in the 1995 Belgian Grand Prix, Kimi Raikkonen coming from 17th to win the 2005 Japanese Grand Prix or Fernando Alonso starting 15th to win the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix).

The following attachment is a University of Redlands statistical graphical analysis that compares NASCAR to Formula One from a standpoint of factors related to the race.

For those not into methodology - just read the abstract, the Physical Variables: Similarities and Differences Between NASCAR and F1 Racing table, the conclusions and the Performance Variables: Similarities and Differences Between NASCAR and F1 tables.

http://newton.uor.edu/FacultyFolder/Silva/NASCARvF1.pdf

http://www.specialops.org/

Last edited by GVFlyer; 02-27-2013 at 17:52..
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 14:13   #128
larry starling
SIG and Glock

Nascar lost me along time ago to local dirt track racing. Much better action and the drivers aren't premadonna's.
- Sigmund Freud

Last edited by larry starling; 02-27-2013 at 14:13..
larry starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 14:56   #129
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry starling View Post
Nascar lost me along time ago to local dirt track racing. Much better action and the drivers aren't premadonna's.
They didn't come before Madonna?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prima_donna

Last edited by 686Owner; 02-27-2013 at 14:57..
686Owner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 15:10   #130
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

I thought Prima Donna was a song by Stevie Nicks.
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 17:56   #131
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686owner View Post
they didn't come before madonna?
lololol

Old 02-27-2013, 18:46   #132
boozer

V8 Supercars = Nascar on a road track.

Throwing the top twenty in each series onto a track like Watkins Glen would be awesome.
boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 18:56   #133
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
The answer is, as it always should be, if there are women in the field, the command is "Drivers, start your engines." Don't try to be cute and fancy and you won't insert your foot in your mouth like he did.
This 686owner. This was my point. Thanks WarCry.

Rubbin is racin,(I took that from "Talledaga Nights").It
doesn't matter what restroom you use (I made that one up myself.) The only thing I can add is if I used proper punctuation in this post.

Danica has a great future in NASCAR.
Old 02-27-2013, 19:04   #134
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
This 686owner. This was my point. Thanks WarCry.

Rubbin is racin,(I took that from "Talledaga Nights").It
doesn't matter what restroom you use (I made that one up myself.) The only thing I can add is if I used proper punctuation in this post.

Danica has a great future in NASCAR.
Using her name was over the top, but obviously it had to change from "Gentlemen, start your engines" which is what I have always heard.
Old 02-27-2013, 20:10   #135
napp32

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Dale Earnhardt is the distant past. Get over it.
Not actually. Dale Earnhardt, Daryl Waltrip, Bill Elliot, and other drivers of the eighties were really the beginning of the modern NASCAR drivers. The real forerunners of NASCAR that built the fan loyalty were guys like Fireball Roberts, the Pearsons, the Flock brothers, Lee Petty, Buck Baker, and Junior Johnson.

Dale Earnhardt (the senior) was unique in that he could have fit into the NASCAR mold for drivers of any era. Winning was important to him; but he also understood the need for marketing skills.
Old 02-27-2013, 20:33   #136
WarCry

Quote:
Using her name was over the top, but obviously it had to change from "Gentlemen, start your engines" which is what I have always heard.
"Drivers" has always been used whenever a woman was in the field, in all racing series' I've seen, including when Patrick was running Indy.
Old 02-27-2013, 21:25   #137
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
I thought Prima Donna was a song by Stevie Nicks.
You're saying stevie nicks is a prima donna?
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 21:51   #138
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
"Drivers" has always been used whenever a woman was in the field, in all racing series' I've seen, including when Patrick was running Indy.
Ladies and Gentleman @ Indianapolis Motor Speedway at least.

Would have been fine with me. I think he just flubbed it, but meant to say Danica and Gentlemen.
Old 02-27-2013, 21:56   #139
WarCry

Quote:
Ladies and Gentleman @ Indianapolis Motor Speedway at least.

Indianapolis 2008 - Start your Engines - YouTube

Would have been fine with me. I think he just flubbed it, but meant to say Danica and Gentlemen.
Huh, I'll be damned! I honestly don't recall seeing the "Ladies and Gentlemen" used....
Old 02-27-2013, 22:02   #140
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Yep, Formula One races are not generally characterized by a lot of lead changes (unless it's Michael Schumacher [winner of 72% of all F1 races in 2004] mounting a charge from 16th to win in the 1995 Belgian Grand Prix, Kimi Raikkonen coming from 17th to win the 2005 Japanese Grand Prix or Fernando Alonso starting 15th to win the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix).

The following attachment is a University of Redlands statistical graphical analysis that compares NASCAR to Formula One from a standpoint of factors related to the race.

For those not into methodology - just read the abstract, the Physical Variables: Similarities and Differences Between NASCAR and F1 Racing table, the conclusions and the Performance Variables: Similarities and Differences Between NASCAR and F1 tables.

http://newton.uor.edu/FacultyFolder/Silva/NASCARvF1.pdf
You're comparing apples to moon rocks when it comes to the imposed racing sanctions for the vehicles/team owners in NASCAR as opposed to F1.

Seriously, you fail to mention that NASCAR officials haven't been able to force restricted carburetor intakes and dozens of other USELESS rules/regulations/policies into F1 racing.

If they put NASCAR officiating, AS IS, into F1 racing, we all would probably start watching hockey or going fishing on the weekends instead.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 02-27-2013 at 22:12..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 18:44   #141
wrenrj1

Quote:
I agree 686. My bad if there was confusion. "Drivers" needs to be the word to use. Surprised that since Janet Guthrie that this issue hasn't been addressed.
Old 02-28-2013, 21:25   #142
SDDL-UP

NASCAR is a joke.

Really. It's "Chevrolet" racing that allows others to participate as long as they "dumb down" their technology. There is a reason there isn't a "flathead racing series" - are you listening NASCAR? At BEST it is IROC - at BEST.

Formula 1 is real racing, the American Le Mans Series, SCCA, World Rally, all real racing.

NASCAR introduced restrictor plates because of Bill Elliot and his Ford Thunderbird. NASCAR introduced the 350 cu.in. MINIMUM because of Yates and his fuel effiecient smaller engines (perhaps Roush too). NASCAR has kept pushrod engines because of CHEVROLET pure and simple - and it's NOT to keep costs down - it's to ensure Chevy stays competative.

I quit watching NASCAR in the late 1990's.
Old 02-28-2013, 21:36   #143
railfancwb

Speaking of engine design, I was surprised that Toyota, when it joined the game didn't offer a short stroke high reving 350ci pushrod engine. Might not have been successful, but seems it might have been worth a try.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-28-2013, 22:00   #144
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
You're comparing apples to moon rocks when it comes to the imposed racing sanctions for the vehicles/team owners in NASCAR as opposed to F1.
I'm comparing nothing. Perhaps you're referring to the comparisons in Professors Kathleen M. Silva and Francisco J. Silva's scientific study that was attached in my original post.

Quote:
Seriously, you fail to mention that NASCAR officials haven't been able to force restricted carburetor intakes and dozens of other USELESS rules/regulations/policies into F1 racing.
I mentioned nothing other than the easily verifiable fact that lead changes are reasonably common in NASCAR and relatively rare in Formula One. However, to reply to your remark - NASCAR has no standing with F1's Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA.

Quote:
If they put NASCAR officiating, AS IS, into F1 racing, we all would probably start watching hockey or going fishing on the weekends instead.
Fortunately, there is no chance that that could occur.

Old 02-28-2013, 22:46   #145
Bow Commander

I did NOT grow up in a NASCAR household, the sport has grabbed me as an adult and made me a fan. I think it's great fun to watch. I can only imagine how much better it is live.
Bow Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:42   #146
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Commander View Post
I did NOT grow up in a NASCAR household, the sport has grabbed me as an adult and made me a fan. I think it's great fun to watch. I can only imagine how much better it is live.
You're in for a real treat. Drunks, drunks, and more drunks and some racing.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:15   #147
norton

I have attended Nascar races at Michigan, Texas, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Martinsville, and don't see any more drunks there then at a typical baseball game.

Oh and if you think the typical F1 fan is a wine sipping bon vivant you are fooling yourself. F1 stands are full of European drunks with bad teeth.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:25   #148
Restless28

I take it you've never been to Talladega. That was the largest assembly of belligerent drunks that I have ever seen. I saw cans flying in the stands and thrown at cars on the backstretch parking area. I will never take my family to a NASCAR event again. That was almost 13 years ago.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57   #149
Bow Commander

I've been to the local small town race tracks where the beer flows like water and the meth is not far off. Never had anything but a good time (those two things never seemed to have an influence on our experience). I do see what you're saying, though. And will factor that into my decision if to go see a race live.
Bow Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15   #150
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
Reckon NASCAR will ever get rid of the 350ci push rod V-8s and rear wheel drive in favor of setups currently in production - quad cam V-6 crosswise with front wheel drive? Might get rid of the restrictor plates and thus open up the packs and make it more interesting.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Front wheel cars make LOUSY race cars. Pushed to the limits today's cars are, they would be impossible to drive.

Any loss of traction results in both throttle and steering controls to be useless. When you spin a drive wheel at 200MPH, you'd really better have your steering work properly, which won't happen if the steered wheels are busy spinning.

(From experience, you overcook a corner in a rear wheel car, or motorcycle, hang the rear wheels out some and power your way back into the corner. In a front wheel drive car, you just slide out of the corner into whatever is off the side of the rode)