Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:51   #1
Mr981

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr981
Spousal health coverage going away?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why...ife-2013-02-22

While this represents a small % of families under a group plan, the article indicates it's a growing trend, which may accelerate if the health exchanges ever get off the ground.

Has this happened to anyone on this board?
Mr981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:22   #2
hal8000

My company has a variation of that policy. If an employee's spouse is employed and their spouse's employer offers health insurance they can't be covered under our company's plan. I don't like that policy but but I can see the reason for it.
hal8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:35   #3
G17Jake

I haven't seen this.... yet, but I am waiting to see how things change in the next year or two.

Not very long ago, my employer added insurance benefits for same-sex partners of employees.

I'm not gay and I don't have a stay at home wife, so none of this applies to me.

Anymore, I consider it a win if I still have a job.
G17Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04   #4
M2 Carbine

obama care will be so costly and a health care killer, in the next few years companies will be doing everything they can to avoid being put out of business.

There will be a lot of changes and no one, except the freeloaders, will like it.
My Blue Cross is going up next month.

The only up side is the people that voted for obama will be badly screwed to, just like the rest of us.

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 02-23-2013 at 08:06..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:08   #5
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
obama care will be so costly and a health care killer, in the next few years companies will be doing everything they can to avoid being put out of business.

There will be a lot of changes and no one, except the freeloaders, will like it.
My Blue Cross is going up next month.

The only up side is the people that voted for obama will be badly screwed to, just like the rest of us.

Yep. Ameritopia is a disaster in the making.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31   #6
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal8000 View Post
My company has a variation of that policy. If an employee's spouse is employed and their spouse's employer offers health insurance they can't be covered under our company's plan. I don't like that policy but but I can see the reason for it.
I work in IT doing health insurance auditing. We typically have some of the best insurance around. We just got a similar policy added for 2013.

The working spouse can be covered, but there is an extra $150 per check surcharge in addition to the other addition costs of going up from just covering yourself.

Oddly enough, even if your spouse also works for the company this applies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-23-2013, 09:40   #7
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

I have the surcharge as well for my wife as she has insurance offered by her employer. This would be not so bad, but her employer offers a poor disaster-type policy and doesn't offer any coverage for anyone but her.
If it was apples to apples a surcharge wouldn't be so bad.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:50   #8
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWyandotte View Post
I have the surcharge as well for my wife as she has insurance offered by her employer. This would be not so bad, but her employer offers a poor disaster-type policy and doesn't offer any coverage for anyone but her.
If it was apples to apples a surcharge wouldn't be so bad.
That is what health ins was back in the day. People paid the small bill and only had 'major medical' for hospital stays.

Part of the problem today is that people expect health ins to pay for all health related costs.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:07   #9
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
That is what health ins was back in the day. People paid the small bill and only had 'major medical' for hospital stays.

Part of the problem today is that people expect health ins to pay for all health related costs.
When they charge $800 or more bucks for routine blood work that's part of a yearly physical I can't blame them.

Until insurance started covering most things the majority of people never went except for emergency care.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:19   #10
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Not to mention they'll bounce you to as many drs as possible to charge you again and again.
Torn rotator cuff I was required to get a shoulder x ray, then a cervicle spine MRI. Then they wanted me to do PT for months before they'd even MRI the injured shoulder.

Sons aid screw it, went to the VA and told them the problem, scheduled my shoulder MRI right then, diagnosed and started treating the problem.

No bouncing around from golf buddy to golf buddy so they could all charge and never treat you

Nobody can afford all the crap the medical industry is setup to run you through

Last edited by Snaps; 02-24-2013 at 01:20..
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:44   #11
ChiTownPicaro

I read an article that suggested that Obamacare was meant to fail as it is what Obama and the creators of the plan wanted. It was suggested that as more employers moved to take employees from Full time workers to part time workers, eventually the burden would shift from the private sector providing healthcare in the form of an employment benefit to a single payer system and we would get national healthcare. Once that happens more jobs would go from part time to full time and more people would be hired to work.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:50   #12
ChiTownPicaro

As a single unmarried person, I have no skin in the game. And I have no real sympathy. I personally think that people should provide their own health insurance and dislike when some employers cover spouses and family of the married employees. I don't get an extra bonus for not costing my employers extra money to care for my family.

Health insurance should not necessarily be for everyone, and as people are losing it we will see more parasites take Medicare and Medicaid stealing from us productive folks. It is a shame really.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:47   #13
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"we will see more parasites take Medicare"

It's not really voluntary. Between the government and the insurance companies you have to do it their way when you turn 65.

People are nearly forced to take it. A person cannot receive Social Security retirement without taking it. Many health care plans won't continue to insure a person at age 65 if they don't sign up for it. Some private plans drop people at 65 and force them onto Medicare.

http://healthinsurance.about.com/od/faqs/f/retirees.htm

I'm only 62, but I retired from the state last year after 37 years and I've been studying the health insurance rules. I haven't applied for SS retirement yet, but Medicare will be mandatory for me at 65 unless I want to do without insurance because the state will drop me. Right now I'm paying $510/month for just me. At 65 I'd be paying $250 to the state and about $105 for Medicare Part B. Part A is 'free'.

That's the way it is.

John
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20   #14
Hicksville Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal8000 View Post

My company required that if a spouse was covered on her job, she would be covered only as a secondary on my insurance and her insurance was primary for her. That seemed fair. This was over 15 years ago.
Hicksville Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:34   #15
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Marraige is becoming obsolete, destroyed by common law marraige rights, gay marraige rights, palimony rights, and extending the various legal & financial benefits of actual marraige to those who are not in fact married.

Just having roommates is becoming the new marraige, at least as far as laws and regulations are concerned.

Pets are people too.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:34   #16
RonS

If my wife had access to other health insurance it would cost me an extra $350 a month.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:24   #17
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Shoot, if i tried to get my wife on my insurance it would wipe out one of my checks per month, I couldn't live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYsX1YGiGA
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34   #18
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post

Exactly right and returning to this (and eliminating Medicare) is the only thing that will fix the problems.

It is supposed to be "insurance" not "prepaid medical".
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35   #19
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
When they charge $800 or more bucks for routine blood work that's part of a yearly physical I can't blame them.

Until insurance started covering most things the majority of people never went except for emergency care.

The fact that people are insulated from the true cost of their healthcare is the REASON why routine bloodwork costs $800

Its a bit of a catch 22
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55   #20
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
I read an article that suggested that Obamacare was meant to fail as it is what Obama and the creators of the plan wanted. It was suggested that as more employers moved to take employees from Full time workers to part time workers, eventually the burden would shift from the private sector providing healthcare in the form of an employment benefit to a single payer system and we would get national healthcare. Once that happens more jobs would go from part time to full time and more people would be hired to work.
That's an interesting theory. I could see this being true.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03   #21
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Exactly right and returning to this (and eliminating Medicare) is the only thing that will fix the problems.

It is supposed to be "insurance" not "prepaid medical".
Great, I can't afford to insure my wife so take away all I have and get rid of medicare too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYsX1YGiGA
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36   #22
Mr981

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
If the plan was to make the masses more dependent on the federal government, Obama care makes perfect sense--give incentives to the private sector not insure their employees and create a defacto single pay system that will come when the private system evaporates.
As the people become reliant on the government, they become more aligned with the directives/goals of the government (out of necessity) and will be less likely to be beating the drum for smaller government or vote for an opposition party promoting such an idea.

Look at Europe--once the idea of government taking care of the masses sets in, government changes happen less often and their agendas are more status quo, rather than right turns. France votes in a "conservative" a few years back"--Zarkozy--but despite his conservative foreign policy views, he didn't stray too much on the home front, knowing workers would be in the streets and there would be national strikes.

This is a great strategy to marginalize your opposition and create a voting block that continues to keep the same corrupt group in power--until the creditors turn the lights off.
Mr981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 20:41   #23
John B

My wife is on a private health plan, it got way too expensive to have her on my company health plan. When Obamacare first started, my wife and I received notices in the mail the same week announcing rate increases at around 30% each " due to new federal health care regulations". I do believe that the goal is to drive us to the doorsteps of the federal government. for our health care
John B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 20:51   #24
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
Great, I can't afford to insure my wife so take away all I have and get rid of medicare too.
Its a matter of whether we want to fix it or not. Continuing down this road it will only get worse.

There is a fix but no one wants to talk about it.
Old 02-24-2013, 22:05   #25
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
Steal my money to pay for your wife's healthcare because you are not able to do it yourself.

Why should I pay for your wife's healthcare when I have my own bills to pay? I am sorry you two cannot afford healthcare, but that really is not my problem and it should not be my responsibility? Why not ask the Church, charities, family, and friends to help out?