HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

MN: Assault weapons, ammo bans off table in state Senate

http://www.startribune.com/politics/...1.html?refer=y
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:00   #2
fjrdc

Thank you to all the people that took action, apparently the politicians are afraid for their jobs.....
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50   #3
M2 Carbine

Quote:
But the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, which represents rank-and-file police officers, threw its support behind universal background checks rather than the guns and magazine bans.
There is no reason to celebrate. A loss is a loss.

It's nothing but the same tactics our anti-gun enemies have been using for 50 years and we stupidly fall for it every time.
Demand the Sun but "settle" for the Moon.

They want a paper trail trail to follow every gun. They want background checks on every gun transfer. Which even the dumbest of us knows is nothing but national gun registration.

So they scare everyone with the threat of a AWB, mag restrictions, confiscation, etc, etc.

Then when they "settle" for just manditory background checks, we dumb ass gun owners think we won something.

No, we never win anything. We just don't lose as much....this time.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45   #4
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
There is no reason to celebrate. A loss is a loss.

It's nothing but the same tactics our anti-gun enemies have been using for 50 years and we stupidly fall for it every time.
Demand the Sun but "settle" for the Moon.

They want a paper trail trail to follow every gun. They want background checks on every gun transfer. Which even the dumbest of us knows is nothing but national gun registration.

So they scare everyone with the threat of a AWB, mag restrictions, confiscation, etc, etc.

Then when they "settle" for just manditory background checks, we dumb ass gun owners think we won something.

No, we never win anything. We just don't lose as much....this time.
They can throw their support behind background checks, but even here in Liberal Lakes, I highly doubt opening up personal medical records and histories to a guy at a table at a gun show is going to pass.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46   #5
Ruggles

Compared to say NY state this was a HUGE victory.

But then I am a glass half full kinda of guy
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:50   #6
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Don't relax. My take from the start:

They didn't really think they could get those bills passed, they were just a red herring to what they are really after, universal background checks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:05   #7
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Universal background checks = registration = confiscation. I don't understand why so many gun owners don't realize that this is the ultimate goal of the antis. They don't really care about the AWB and "clip" nonsense - that's just to get us to accept registration. Once they have the registry all it will take is a couple more mass shootings and they'll move to confiscation.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:09   #8
larry_minn
Silver Membership

As said above. They call for everything. That way when they "settle" for a first step it looks like they are being reasonable.

I heard parts of testamony. There was a FFL who went on and on why this "loophole" must be fixed. He is seeing +$40 in business being lost EVERY time a guy sells his old shotgun to his neighbors kid. One neighbor kid wanted a shotgun. He worked feeding the other guys cattle, helping with milking, basicly being in charge when the farm owner was with his wife in premature delivery. Others helped but this young man KNEW the routine. "So we called him boss" He now owns a nice 870.
There have been hints (of language) to reguire background checks to LOAN or even hand a firearm to another. (other then in FFL's presence). So lets say you are deer, duck,etc hunting with others. One guys shotgun/rifle is damaged. You have a spare (or you twist your ankle so plan to take day off) YOu have to run into town, find a FFL, do transfer/pay then next morning do it again.....
The wording could be interperated that you couldn't even let another touch your gun. I have fired a wide variety of firearms at ranges. During break ask "What exactly is that?" or "Is that a ...." Very often I am offered to fire off a few (its dang good manners to offer to let him/her fire off a few of what you are shooting) And don't fire off whole mag. (and then ask for another one) :(
larry_minn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:10   #9
Ruggles

If they can't get a new AWB passed (and it appears they will not be able too) how would they get some confiscation bill passed? I really don't think we will see a new AWB but I am positive we won't see a confiscation bill passed.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:27   #10
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
If they can't get a new AWB passed (and it appears they will not be able too) how would they get some confiscation bill passed? I really don't think we will see a new AWB but I am positive we won't see a confiscation bill passed.
Incrementalism. They won't confiscate today. They'll wait for the next Riechstag fire and then say "We have 1500 assault rifles in Goober County alone - let's get them." The fired-up masses won't think to complain until it's all over.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:29   #11
paynter2
It ain't over

Here's the email I got back from my MN House member. He's a Democrat.

Dear Mr. G,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I received so many gun-related emails last week that I had to set them aside so that I could respond to them en masse and carry on the other correspondence related to this job. You should never hesitate to write or call me when you have issues or concerns.

Related to last week’s gun bills (of which none have been voted on), I am opposed to all measures that unduly infringe upon our 2nd Amendment rights. Specifically, I oppose restrictions to semi-automatic rifles, limits to magazine capacity, and while I think we need to make sure that the intent of current background check regulations are followed, I oppose any new regulation that makes a transaction between two private individuals more difficult or cumbersome.

I hope you and your family are well. Hopefully, I’ll see you around town soon. Don’t hesitate to get a hold of me!

Thank you,

Jason Metsa
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30   #12
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
Incrementalism. They won't confiscate today. They'll wait for the next Riechstag fire and then say "We have 1500 assault rifles in Goober County alone - let's get them." The fired-up masses won't think to complain until it's all over.
I understand and agree they would want too, just not that they could in reality. I just do not see it getting passed nationally. Nothing wrong with being overly cautious though, better than not being cautious enough.
Old 02-23-2013, 13:00   #13
RGbiker

NO Budge....NO Compromise. NOT one inch.

By the time legislation for Universal background check is written and passed, the Liberals will SNEAK in language for gun registration.
Old 02-23-2013, 13:36   #14
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGbiker View Post
NO Budge....NO Compromise. NOT one inch.

By the time legislation for Universal background check is written and passed, the Liberals will SNEAK in language for gun registration.
VERY possible. Its been done before. Sad how often votes are taken on bills that the folks doing voting have NEVER READ. (and staff that did look it over didn't get to see final version)

They waste time, again and again, then FORCE thru legislation as quickly as possible. Why not (with internet) have a rule. Any new bill MUST be posted for 48 hrs before it can be brought to a vote.
larry_minn is online now   Reply With Quote