Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2013, 20:24   #1
PlasticOwner

XS Big Dot Sights

I've got a question for those of you who have used the XS Big Dot sights on your Glocks.

I've read countless times that they're good for "close up" target acquisition, but not for longer distance precision.

About how for away are the Big Dots good for?

Thanks!
PlasticOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 20:34   #2
ronin.45

There's no set distance. They will work fine at any range you'll normally shoot a handgun. The only issue is lack of real precision. The design isn't meant for exact, consistent alignment. You will get groups, but not tiny bullseye groups. If you want to(and have the ability to) shoot ragged holes at 10 yards, you would be better served with a traditional setup. I've settled on the Ameriglo Pro for the best of both worlds.
Old 02-23-2013, 19:00   #3
RetailNinjitsu

I am using them again for the first time in 4 years. IMHO, they are great for "combat shooting"...not.so great for the range. I like them for duty/ force on force use. I would not buy them for a range gun. They really stand out in situations when you arent looking directly.at your sights. While do SIM training, my brain picks them up more often then a standard setup.
RetailNinjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 19:06   #4
wdp

I put one of the big XS dots on my S&W .38 Bodyguard and now I can actually see the front sight. Common Smith make em OEM on every snubbie. Awesome!
Old 02-23-2013, 23:23   #5
SoldMyHat

I feel that your range gun and your duty/carry gun should be the same gun. You have to practice with it. That said, I love the XS Big Dots on my G22 with tritium front. I shot a 5" group at 25 yards standing and slow fire. First time out with them. I love em. And easy to install. True, they are designed for fast target acquisition, but they are still accurate if you are. If you shoot just for fun, then get target sights. If you shoot to practice for self defense, get some xs big dots. They are cheaper than trijicon HDs by half almost. But I hear good things about them too. Whatever you pick, practice.
Old 02-23-2013, 23:27   #6
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

I don't get the best groups with mine on my G21, but I can hit my target out to 50 yards, and it does make close-up target acquisition pretty fast. If you're looking for a precise target sight, there are other options. If you want a good sight on a defensive weapon, they do pretty good.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-25-2013, 17:50   #7
Mr.Reignman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticOwner View Post
I've got a question for those of you who have used the XS Big Dot sights on your Glocks.

I've read countless times that they're good for "close up" target acquisition, but not for longer distance precision.

About how for away are the Big Dots good for?

Thanks!

For chest wounds, there's nothing like it, nothing imho unless you spring for a RMR setup.

For accuracy?...... Well, I flat out got discouraged using mine and they were quickly replaced for a set of TFO's.

I consider myself a better than average shooter having won IDPA SSP shoots against noteworthy competitors however with those sights, if someone had a knife to someone I care abouts throat, I wouldnt even ponder the idea of taking a shot, not for a moment. I had ZERO confidence in those sights.

(I don't recommend nor romanticize the idea of that scenario, just making a bold point)

I'm sure I'll get ripped for mentioning it but James Yeager can hit very accurately with em out to 50 yards and still can hit steel at 100 yards with em... ymmv, regardless your opinion of him he's an excellent shooter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Mr.Reignman; 02-25-2013 at 17:51..
Mr.Reignman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 18:37   #8
PlasticOwner

Guys, I appreciate all the responses. I think I'll settle on some more traditional night sights.
PlasticOwner is offline   Reply With Quote