SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:01   #1
JBnTX
None

NRA President Thinks Automatic Weapons Should Be Illegal

This statement by National Rifle Association President David Keene is very disturbing.

Is he not aware that about 31 states allow the private ownership of fully automatic weapons, or does he really think they should be banned?

The NRA has never supported machine gun owners and now we know why.

In the future will the NRA agree to the banning of semi-auto weapons too?
It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2729865.html

He also took questions from students at the sold-out event.

One asked which kinds of weapons Keene thought should be illegal. Keene answered "fully automatic weapons," which are already illegal for private citizens.

Last edited by JBnTX; 02-22-2013 at 08:02..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

So don't join, hold a press conference to tear up your NRA card and hold your breath until you turn blue.

Or run for NRA president and then the NRA president would hold the same views you do.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:05   #3
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
So don't join, hold a press conference to tear up your NRA card and hold your breath until you turn blue.

Or run for NRA president and then the NRA president would hold the same views you do.
That's your response?

In the current gun control debate there's a very thin line between full auto
and semi auto. A lot on non gun people don't even know the difference.

Does the NRA president actually think full auto weapons are illegal,
or does he know they're legal and thinks they should be banned?

Either way, it's cause for concern.

Last edited by JBnTX; 02-22-2013 at 08:13..
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06   #4
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:

You're actually a, 'Fifth Column' sleeper agent; aren't you!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:08   #5
Psychman
NRA Life Member

The OP has a point. I wonder if this is the NRA policy on the subject or just Keene's. One would also think that the NRA President would know that private citizens can and do own automatic weapons.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15   #6
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
You're actually a, 'Fifth Column' sleeper agent; aren't you!
I don't see as I'm the one pushing wedge issues at a time when we should be banding together.

Perhaps the NRA president believes they should be illegal. Maybe I missed the part where anyone, anywhere, is trying to pass such a law. Since there isn't a bill out there doing this that I'm aware of I put it in the same category as those who want to ban firearms that can go through metal detectors, a non issue to be taken up internally after this cluster screw is survived.

Just what we need, a whole bunch of help for those trying to divide and conquer pro-rights people. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:17   #7
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

It is confusing and cumbersome to explain NFA weapons and rules; if you say they have been illegal since 1934 (sort-of-true) you short cut the conversation for the lefty who believes every black gun is full-auto and has an endless Hollywood magazine and available almost anywhere over the counter with no background check to anyone with a criminal record.

Is the 1934 NFA an unconstitutional travesty? Yes. Am I willing to drop that issue for a moment to have a meaningful conversation with an ignorant sheep in the pubic setting? Of course!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Last edited by Cali-Glock; 02-22-2013 at 08:18..
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19   #8
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
That's your response?

In the current gun control debate there's a very thin line between full auto
and semi auto. A lot on non gun people don't even know the difference.

Does the NRA president actually think full auto weapons are illegal,
or does he know they're legal and thinks they should be banned?

Either way, it's cause for concern.

So let the NRA know you are a member and you do not like Mr. Keenes comment.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20   #9
voyager4520
-----

I can understand why they take that stance, it's a safe stance to take. Honestly though a full-auto MP5 is no more effective than a semi-auto 12-gauge loaded with buckshot.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:25   #10
Redheadhunter21

I'm ok with that statement most of the general public have no clue that you can own full auto weapons so let them think you can't. I think it's more of a blanket statement. If you say there legal all hell would break loose.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32   #11
JBnTX
None

Quote:

I don't see as I'm the one pushing wedge issues at a time when we should be banding together.

Just what we need, a whole bunch of help for those trying to divide and conquer pro-rights people. Thanks.
I agree with you.

The NRA president is pushing a wedge issue at a time when we should be banding together.

His statement alienates machine gun owners and kind of throws them under the bus at a time when we all need to work together to keep our gun rights.

You'd think the president of the NRA would know better?

Machine gun owners are gun owners too.

Last edited by JBnTX; 02-22-2013 at 08:33..
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41   #12
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
I agree with you.

The NRA president is pushing a wedge issue at a time when we should be banding together.

His statement alienates machine gun owners and kind of throws them under the bus at a time when we all need to work together to keep our gun rights.

You'd think the president of the NRA would know better?

Machine gun owners are gun owners too.
Perhaps he doesn't want to get caught up in a detailed discussion about a topic that's not even on the agenda anywhere when it detracts from discussions about what is actually happening here/now? So he takes the easy answer way out to get that off the topic list and moves onto stuff that actually matters.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45   #13
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

I kind of think by "illegal" he meant "not able to be purchased as easily as semi-automatics" but I could be way off.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:57   #14
Jim85IROC

They are illegal for the vast majority of Americans. I took his statement to reflect upon that and nothing more. I don't see it as a call for tighter restrictions on automatic weapons. Tin foil hats anybody?
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02   #15
Roger1079

Saying they are illegal is much easier than trying to explain the requirements for ownership and the restrictions on the full auto firearms that can be transferred to civilians.

You can't even explain the difference between an AR-15 and an M16 to the average person not educated on the subject in most cases. Why go into detail about the NFA, transferrable machine guns, and the process to obtain them only to confuse people further?

I guess he could simply revise his statement to say "Machine guns manufactured or imported after the first part of 1986 are illegal for civilian ownership already and are also illegal for ownership at the state level in many states as well." to pacify the people complaining about his general statement. Either way, I don't think it makes much difference as machine guns are not currently the target of this legislation, just as they were not in 1994.

Last edited by Roger1079; 02-22-2013 at 09:03..
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05   #16
KalashniKEV

Maybe he meant just for his son- who's serving ten years in prison for shooting up someone's car in a Road Rage incident???
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:08   #17
eagle359

At least this time the NRA is out strongly against the AWB. Last time they kind of sat in the corner and watched. I think they were just interested in saving hunting firearms. This time they are trying to save the ARs and mags. It is an improvement.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10   #18
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post

They are illegal for the vast majority of Americans.
No, the vast majority of Americans can legally possess a full automatic weapon. However, most don't for many reasons.

Ostracizing machine gun owners is no different than Jim Zumbo's comments about AR-15 and AK-47 owners.

If you're content to have machine gun owners hide in the shadows and let everyone think that full auto weapons are illegal just for the sake of convenience, will you be just as content when AR-15 owners have to do the same?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14   #19
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Quote:
They are illegal for the vast majority of Americans. I took his statement to reflect upon that and nothing more. I don't see it as a call for tighter restrictions on automatic weapons. Tin foil hats anybody?
I hardly think anything stated in this thread rises to the "Tin foil hat" level. If you do then perhaps you haven't been here long enough.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59   #20
Jim85IROC

Quote:
No, the vast majority of Americans can legally possess a full automatic weapon. However, most don't for many reasons.
The vast majority of Americans do not have the credentials to legally own those weapons. To own them you need an FFL, which most do not have.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02   #21
KalashniKEV

Quote:
The vast majority of Americans do not have the credentials to legally own those weapons. To own them you need an FFL, which most do not have.
False.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:20   #22
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
No, you don't.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29   #23
Roger1079

Quote:
Somebody misinformed you sir.

A civilian CAN own a machine gun without an FFL. The requirements for such are first that it is not illegal to possess in your state. Second, the machine gun needs to have been registered prior to May 19, 1986. Third, a BATFE Form 4 needs to be filled out and either signed off on by a CLEO in your jurisdiction and submitted with fingerprints or filled out and submitted with a Trust or under a corporation. A check for the $200 tax stamp must also be submitted. Fourth, wait a minimum of 5 months for the paperwork to be processed and returned.

That's all there is to it. If you can afford the ridiculous prices for a 25+ year old gun, and feel like waiting for the paperwork to process, you can own one as long as your state doesn't prohibit it at that level. Hope this helps.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33   #24
G26S239
NRA Patron

I would like to know exactly what was said not what the Huffington Post decided to go with. Arriana is besties with scumbag Al Franken.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37   #25
kiole

I wish the NRA would push to challenge NFA and the post 86 machine gun ban in court. This will never happen and I accept that. I am a member of the NRA not because I'm happy with their stances on certain issues but because it's the best lobbying group we've got.
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote