Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 20:45   #1
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Gatlinburg TN

Hey,
So my new gf and I are heading down soon, just for a visit. Curious if anyone has any advice or tidbits of info about the area. Food, shooting ranges, anything....

I've never been to the Smoky Mountains, so it should be fun. We rented a fairly deluxe cabin, with a great view, so it is going to be a blast no matter what.

And, unlike my ex, my new gf is totally fine with me packing heat at all times. G26 with Speer +P Gold Dots will be carried. Driving down in a Ford Mustang (gf's car). Good times coming soon....

Mostly just curious if anyone has been in the area and can give me a heads up on anything.

Thanks!

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 02-21-2013 at 20:48..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 20:48   #2
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

I was there a few years ago over thanksgiving. Spent it with my dad's side. We had fun. We went to the Ripley aquarium with the kids & cousins. Hiked the mountain side and the women went shopping at the outlet center.

if you are a Dukes boy fan, stop by Cooter's Place

http://www.cootersplace.com/museum/gatlinburg/

I didn't know it was there until our last night.

Last edited by stolenphot0; 02-21-2013 at 20:48..
stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 20:52   #3
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenphot0 View Post
I was there a few years ago over thanksgiving. Spent it with my dad's side. We had fun. We went to the Ripley aquarium with the kids & cousins. Hiked the mountain side and the women went shopping at the outlet center.

if you are a Dukes boy fan, stop by Cooter's Place

http://www.cootersplace.com/museum/gatlinburg/

I didn't know it was there until our last night.
Cool. I'll be there. I learned to drive muscle cars on an identical Dodge Charger (roommate's car - we drove it Portland to Chicago, it was matte black).....thanks for the tip!
Old 02-21-2013, 20:55   #4
nightstalker865

If your GF likes to shop, your in trouble. Lots of outlets and stores in pigeon forge area. TN is a very gun friendly state and you can carry most places. Just keep a watchful eye out for signs on private businesses. You can also carry in the park now so you don't have to worry about that while touring the smokies. I grew up in Knoxville and really miss the mtns. I fly over them all the time and hate having to come back to the Sandhills around Bragg. Smokey Mtn brewery is a great place on the strip in Gatlinburg to grab some lunch and try local beers. Lots of restaurants in and around the area. The aquarium in Gatlinburg is one of the best in the country. It's a great way to kill time and if your GF is like most girls she will love the penguin exhibit. Great way to score some points....

Last edited by nightstalker865; 02-21-2013 at 20:56..
nightstalker865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 20:58   #5
jknight8907

I've stayed in Gatlinburg twice. If we head that direction again we will stay in Pigeon Forge or Sevierville. Gatlinburg is 100% tourist trap with very little parking. The aquarium is awesome, but other than that it's a little disappointing. For me, the attraction is driving through the mountains. Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are equally tourist-trap, but at least they have enough parking and room to do what you want, and it's no further from the backroad attractions, and only 10 minutes from the aquarium.
jknight8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 21:00   #6
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

There's a chocolate store downtown that was there many years ago when I visited. I don't know if it's still there but it was awesome.

Gatlinburg is still a great place and people still flock there every year.
Black Rifle Club #270
rolltide_pisco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 21:09   #7
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker865 View Post
If your GF likes to shop, your in trouble. Lots of outlets and stores in pigeon forge area. TN is a very gun friendly state and you can carry most places. Just keep a watchful eye out for signs on private businesses. You can also carry in the park now so you don't have to worry about that while touring the smokies. I grew up in Knoxville and really miss the mtns. I fly over them all the time and hate having to come back to the Sandhills around Bragg. Smokey Mtn brewery is a great place on the strip in Gatlinburg to grab some lunch and try local beers. Lots of restaurants in and around the area. The aquarium in Gatlinburg is one of the best in the country. It's a great way to kill time and if your GF is like most girls she will love the penguin exhibit. Great way to score some points....
Yeah, she has already mentioned the outlet stores. But she makes double my income so I'll let her go for it if she wants to. Thanks for the Brewery tip. Aquarium will probably wait for when I bring the kiddos down. Adult trip this time....probably mostly hiking and cabin time....hot tub.....etc
Old 02-21-2013, 21:16   #8
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

She found some cabin in cobbly nob. Deluxe place. Yes, the city looks touristy. I'm going to have to look for places on the outskirts of town that are "normal." Like places where locals would eat. But we're just going there for a couple of days. Straight up romantic weekend.

I grew up with mountains, so yeah, just being in the Smokies is very thrilling for me on this trip!

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 02-21-2013 at 21:18..
Old 02-21-2013, 21:21   #9
jknight8907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
She found some cabin in cobbly nob. Deluxe place. Yes, the city looks touristy. I'm going to have to look for places on the outskirts of town that are "normal." Like places where locals would eat. But we're just going there for a couple of days. Straight up romantic weekend.
Cobbly Nob is great. We spent two nights in a crappy cabin there last week and still managed to have fun. It's about 10 minutes outside Gatlinburg.

Tip for people looking for a cabin, avoid Pioneer Cabin Rentals, at least the particular cabin we rented, "Deer Trail". Genius design features such as the hot tub located on literally the ONLY point on the porch where it would be in full view of the neighbors. A pool table upstairs, but no lights up there....when the sun goes down, no pool playing. Both bedrooms on the street side of the house instead of the mountain view side. Big jacuzzi tub upstairs off the 2nd bedroom, small bathroom & tub downstairs off the master bedroom. Just stupid little design flaws that made you say WTF.

The time before that we stayed in an Elk Springs cabin and it was absolutely perfect. Someone with a brain designed it!

Last edited by jknight8907; 02-21-2013 at 21:22..
jknight8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 21:34   #10
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Dollywood, South of the Border, See Rock City, & Ruby Falls if you enjoy scenic drives.

ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 21:52   #11
OneBigDude

Lots of great golf courses
OneBigDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 22:44   #12
toshbar
Timber Baron

Gatlinburg is the Myrtle Beach of the mountains.

South of the Border is EXTREMELY unfriendly to carrying.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:41   #13
Restless28

Prepare for traffic headaches. It is the most visited park. You'll find out why.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46   #14
spork
Caffeinator

Check out Smokey Mountain Knife Works while you are there.
http://www.smokeymountainknife.info/
Old 02-22-2013, 04:54   #15
spork
Caffeinator

For dining out, I am a big fan of these two restaurants:

http://www.applewoodfarmhouserestaurant.com

http://www.greenbrierrestaurant.com/#
Old 02-22-2013, 05:25   #16
camelotkid
non-believer

everything spork said. Applewood farms is amazing. And you have to stop by smokey mtn knife works. As far as gatlinburg itself the best thing to do is park and walk the strip you will find all kinds of cool little shops and food places.
camelotkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:34   #17
billkill

Put Cades Cove on your list.
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
billkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:43   #18
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Hey,
So my new gf and I are heading down soon, just for a visit. Curious if anyone has any advice or tidbits of info about the area. Food, shooting ranges, anything....

I've never been to the Smoky Mountains, so it should be fun. We rented a fairly deluxe cabin, with a great view, so it is going to be a blast no matter what.

And, unlike my ex, my new gf is totally fine with me packing heat at all times. G26 with Speer +P Gold Dots will be carried. Driving down in a Ford Mustang (gf's car). Good times coming soon....

Mostly just curious if anyone has been in the area and can give me a heads up on anything.

Thanks!
I love it down there - even walking the streets of Gatlinburg is OK, but most of the cool stuff is out of Gatlinburg. Be sure to check out the Smoky Mountain Knife Works store - ait's about 3-4 huge floors of knifes, knife-making supplies and various cutting instruments and outdoor gear.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...ag=eknifeworks

I think they call it the world's largest knife store.

If you like motorcycles, the Wheel's Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley is great.

I would have said "eat at the Apple Barn" but it changed ownership a few years ago, so I'm not impressed any more.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04   #19
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Thanks for all of the ideas, everyone. I think it's going to be a fun little weekend trip! Between a cabin, nature (Smokies!), and all of these things to do, I don't see how it can't be a blast.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06   #20
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

My son will enjoy a gift from the knife works....the girl may have to drop me off there for a bit. She can go buy some shoes or something....
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41   #21
phil evans

everybody must try the pan cake place.
do not know the name but look around mid town for the line way out the door till 10:30am. line moves ok.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:47   #22
NailShooter

Quote:
My son will enjoy a gift from the knife works....the girl may have to drop me off there for a bit. She can go buy some shoes or something....
Just got back from Gatlinburg with the wife (we stopped there for a few nights on the way back from FL). We have been there numerous times. Saturday is a pretty busy day--avoid that day if possible. Like others have said, parking and driving within Gatlinburg is not fun. There are a few lots where you can pay to park. We stay on the Gatlinburg "strip", leave our car parked at the motel and just walk--the place is kind of designed for that.

Smoky Mtn Knife Works is a MUST see (it is quite a distance north of Gatlinburg, go to it on your way home). I would allow 2-3 hrs to walk thru it on your first visit. There is also a HUGE kitchen knife and gadget area on the bottom floor of SMKW.

Cops are writing tons of speeding tickets just outside of SMKW because they are working on the road and it's a construction zone w/ a lowered speed limit.

Enjoy your trip!

Nail
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49   #23
deerslayer01

Applewood, Nascar Park and Cade's Cove. There are also a bunch of hiking trails to see. Take the motor loop above Gatlinburg. I almost always see a bear during that trip.
deerslayer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22   #24
Txnowtn

You mentioned shooting ranges - sevierindoorrange.com is the place to go.

As previously said - Smoky Mtn Knife Works is a must see. It's about 3 miles from I-40 exit 407.

Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg is where they line up out the door. Plenty of other good breakfast joints there, too.

Mexican - No Way Joses is about the best. It's in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

Seafood - not a lot of choices. Bubba Gump in Gatinburg is fun.

Chinese - forget it. Same crappy buffets you find in any town in America.

BBQ - not as much good stuff as you would expect. Calhouns may be best (Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge)

Steak - if you care to drive about 25 miles from Gat, there is a terrific road house style place called Ye Olde Steakhouse. It's between Knoxville and Sevierville on Chapman Highway. Excellent food, moderate prices, come-as-you-are dress.

Scenic - motor loop trail near Gat is closed in winter.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29   #25
harlenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil evans View Post
everybody must try the pan cake place.
do not know the name but look around mid town for the line way out the door till 10:30am. line moves ok.
http://www.pancakepantry.com/

Best pancakes I've ever had.
harlenm is online now   Reply With Quote