GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 23:15   #21
Ak.Hiker

My .45 is loaded with the Hornady 230 grain TAP +P. I have tested this load out and I like the combination of penetration and expansion. A good all round load.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 23:23   #22
ksmedman

Federal HST JHP, 230gr. Regular strength.
ksmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 00:35   #23
9mm +p+

Federal HST 230 +P in my HK 45C.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:01   #24
Bluescot

Fed HST 230g +P
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:23   #25
Batesmotel

Golden Saber. Just because I still have some and they have been reliable in the past. Next might be Win. SXT or Fed. HST
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39   #26
Kentguy

Happyguy,

Although I do not have a 1911 I do have a G21 and I'd have to go along with CanyonMan's recommendations "...I like 230gr GD's bonded, and 230gr Ranger T, Bonded, and then the 230gr XTP Tap."

you really can flip a coin with those three - all really good rounds. Another recommendation of mine would be...

Hornady "Custom" Ammunition
230g XTP HP +P
Velocity - Box listed @ 950 fps / 887.6 fps my 6 shot average @ 75 degrees
OAL - 1.230"

Out of my G21 it does not kick at all like +P ammo so reacquiring your target is fast, more than adequste expansion and I can hold a decent pattern out to 25 yards.

Good luck and be safe
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32   #27
WinterWizard

Winchester Ranger-T 230gr +P
Federal HST 230gr +P
Speer Gold Dot 230gr
Hornady TAP 230gr +P
Hornady Critical Duty 220gr +P

I'd be happy with any of these out of a 3.5" barrel or longer.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54   #28
SCmasterblaster

255gr LSWC at 850FPS.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01   #29
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
255gr LSWC at 850FPS.
That is some serious artillery!

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:24   #30
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Why the XTP over the others? I have a good supply of the +P version and the box says 950 fps.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Yeh, right on there with what you said about your +P's. But remember, those were tested out of a 5" barrel of some sort. Hornady usually uses a 'real gun' to test with, so at least that helps.

Just simply put... The XTP. Because of "greater penetration", over some the other 'rapid expanding bullets out there.' Like I said, I like GD really well also...

BTW... that XTP @ 907-ish FPS, is out of the little 3.78" tube in the G36. It is a tad faster out of my M1911's of course, not that it has to be, but I created that load to get a little something out of 'the G36'. Factory loads were dropping to low for MY personal liking.

Good luck.
Stay Safe..

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01   #31
digilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Yeh, right on there with what you said about your +P's. But remember, those were tested out of a 5" barrel of some sort. Hornady usually uses a 'real gun' to test with, so at least that helps.

Just simply put... The XTP. Because of "greater penetration", over some the other 'rapid expanding bullets out there.' Like I said, I like GD really well also...

BTW... that XTP @ 907-ish FPS, is out of the little 3.78" tube in the G36. It is a tad faster out of my M1911's of course, not that it has to be, but I created that load to get a little something out of 'the G36'. Factory loads were dropping to low for MY personal liking.

Good luck.
Stay Safe..

CanyonMan
As loaded by Hornady, will the 230 XTPs expand from the 3.78" barrel of a Glock 30?

Last edited by digilo; 02-22-2013 at 11:01..
digilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:16   #32
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by digilo View Post
As loaded by Hornady, will the 230 XTPs expand from the 3.78" barrel of a Glock 30?

The quick answer is, that XTP's aren't the greatest expanders, but are really great penetrators, with some expansion, and that depends on cal/& vel and bullet weight.

Out of the G36/G30 (Same thing), no they are not going to be 'super expanders', but I choose the penetration over the expansion, and if I get some (expansion) great!

What good is it if it does not get through all it has to get through (which can be a great deal depending on the senerio) and not get where it needs to go ...

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse by saying the following 'again', but folks tend to forget that the 'senerio' may involve an oblique angle, and then through a big thick arm with a leather jacket, and may hit the bone, then has to still get to the torso and go "again" through the same clothing, and skin, and more bone and solid and hollow organs, and still make it to the vital point to stop the threat.

Heck, it might even have to go through auto glass or metal. You never know what can happen out on the road, or in a city or town. Cops ain't the only ones that may have the need to shoot through parts of an auto. Anything can happen, anytime any where. I would rather know I got a bullet that penetrates very well, and works well in 'all types of media' and still at least 'has the chance' to get where it needs to go....

Hand guns ain't that great for SD in the first place.

Again, depending on the senerio, 'and there are a million of them', I want at least (if we're going to talk denum covered Gel) of 14" and rather see 18" penetration.

Some bullets look very appealing in Gel test, with their massive expansion characteristics, but they usually have lousy penetration qualities. (even in the Gel) Plus, Let those same rapid expanders get into the "real world,' hit bone, or other hard objects, and your now loosing even more penetration.

From just the "stuff" I've shot into, the Gold dot, and XTP's and the factory Ranger T's, have proved to 'me', I do not need to look any further, and I am settled in on those three in 45acp, and most other calibers as well frankly from 9mm to 45acp. Plus.... Drum roll, I stil like 230gr RNFP FMJ's 'only' in the 45acp.

Well, be safe!

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:40   #33
digilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
The quick answer is, that XTP's aren't the greatest expanders, but are really great penetrators, with some expansion, and that depends on cal/& vel and bullet weight.

Out of the G36/G30 (Same thing), no they are not going to be 'super expanders', but I choose the penetration over the expansion, and if I get some (expansion) great!

What good is it if it does not get through all it has to get through (which can be a great deal depending on the senerio) and not get where it needs to go ...

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse by saying the following 'again', but folks tend to forget that the 'senerio' may involve an oblique angle, and then through a big thick arm with a leather jacket, and may hit the bone, then has to still get to the torso and go "again" through the same clothing, and skin, and more bone and solid and hollow organs, and still make it to the vital point to stop the threat.

Heck, it might even have to go through auto glass or metal. You never know what can happen out on the road, or in a city or town. Cops ain't the only ones that may have the need to shoot through parts of an auto. Anything can happen, anytime any where. I would rather know I got a bullet that penetrates very well, and works well in 'all types of media' and still at least 'has the chance' to get where it needs to go....

Hand guns ain't that great for SD in the first place.

Again, depending on the senerio, 'and there are a million of them', I want at least (if we're going to talk denum covered Gel) of 14" and rather see 18" penetration.

Some bullets look very appealing in Gel test, with their massive expansion characteristics, but they usually have lousy penetration qualities. (even in the Gel) Plus, Let those same rapid expanders get into the "real world,' hit bone, or other hard objects, and your now loosing even more penetration.

From just the "stuff" I've shot into, the Gold dot, and XTP's and the factory Ranger T's, have proved to 'me', I do not need to look any further, and I am settled in on those three in 45acp, and most other calibers as well frankly from 9mm to 45acp. Plus.... Drum roll, I stil like 230gr RNFP FMJ's 'only' in the 45acp.

Well, be safe!

CanyonMan
As far as expansion, as long as it doesn't exit the body, or ricochet around if I miss, then teh HP has done it's job. I'm not an expansion junkie.

As far as bullet weight I've read many of your posts on the matter and I'm in total agreement. I prefer teh heavier-for-caliber loads for just the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks for the info on the XTPs!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51   #34
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
As far as expansion, as long as it doesn't exit the body, or ricochet around if I miss, then teh HP has done it's job. I'm not an expansion junkie.

As far as bullet weight I've read many of your posts on the matter and I'm in total agreement. I prefer teh heavier-for-caliber loads for just the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks for the info on the XTPs!

You are welcome sir !

I sure can't 'Guarantee' the bullet won't ricochet on a 'miss,' given just the right media an angle... haha. As for pass through's with a G30/M1911, with a 230gr XTP 'factory load..' I would not, and do not, loose sleep at night, and allowing 'this' to be the furtherest thing from my mind, it is 'not likely', anything 'can happen,' but it's not likely with this we're talking about amigo !

Was passin buy, and the much needed rain is about over here, and I need to get back out and tend to things...

Stay safe out there pard.
Adios...

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 02-22-2013 at 12:53..
Old 02-22-2013, 12:55   #35
John_NJ

Hornady 230 gr XTP +P in my G21 house gun.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Don’t respond to the stupidity of a fool; you’ll only look foolish yourself. Proverbs 26:4
John_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 14:09   #36
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
That is some serious artillery!

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
It pushes a 3.5lb bowling pin back four feet.
Old 02-22-2013, 14:09   #37
fastbolt

Quote:
What SD ammo is loaded up in your .45?
I am going to start carrying a .45 1911 again and I have 230 grain Gold Dot, 230 +P Corbon w/the old Sierra bullet, Hornady 230 +P TAP FPD, 230 +P Gold Dot, 165 +P Power Ball, 230 +P HST, and 230 grain Winchester Ranger available to choose from.

I am not opposed to buying something else if it comes more highly recommended than what I have on hand.

Help me narrow it down please.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Dunno what to tell you. I usually reach for whichever box of some of the better quality "premium" loads may be within easy reach on any given day.

For me, this means my .45's are usually loaded with either Rem Golden Sabre HPJ (non-bonded), Win RA45T or RA45TP, or Speer 230gr Gold Dot. Just depends. (I prefer to restrict the use of the RA45TP +P loads to some of my larger/heavier .45's.)

I use the same .45 loads in all my .45's, which include barrel lengths of 3.25", 3.5", 3.75", 4.25", 4.5" & 5".

I have some other .45 ammo in my training/practice ammo collection, but I don't typically use any of it for dedicated carry use (Speer 200gr +P, Win USA 230gr JHP & FMJ, that I can remember) ... and I'm pretty sure I've used up all of the Win 185gr STHP, Fed 185gr +P Hydra-Shok, Rem Express 230gr JHP I collected several years ago.

I might have a few hundred rounds of Fed 230gr Hydra-Shok put back in some plastic cases I found while moving last year, but it promptly got mixed up in the seldom-used ammo stock after I "found" it.

If the Fed HST were as commonly seen in LE use in my area of the state as the other loads, making them more easily available and affordable, I'd try them and probably add them to my commonly used loads. They aren't, though.

Hornady? I haven't used their .45 ACP loads for some years, not since I could buy a 20-rd box of the 200gr XTP +P for less than $10/box. Again, not a company's offerings you tend to see in any significant quantities in LE use in my area, or on dealer shelves, so not something I typically go out of my way to find.

I dislike limiting myself to hard-to-find, excessively expensive loads for everyday use, anyway.

Something to keep in mind, though, if you're talking 1911 ammo selection, is whether whatever ammo you select will work in the magazines that you intend to use.

I typically use 3 types of 1911 mags (both 7 & 8-rd) that all run well in my 1911's (5 of them), and I have a couple of other potential makes/models I'll eventually get around to testing (after having seen them do acceptably well in other instructor's 1911's).
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 02-22-2013 at 14:15..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 14:18   #38
dougader

Quote:
I prefer the heavier-for-caliber loads for just the reasons you mentioned.
The old standard for years has been the 230 grain fmj. But I wouldn't go so far as to refer to this as a "heavy-for-caliber load in 45 Auto.

Compare the sectional density of the 230 grain fmj (0.161) to another caliber, like 357 magnum. In 357, the equivalent SD gets you a 140-145 grain bullet.

Now, I don't know anyone who would consider a 140 grain jhp in 357 a heavy-for-caliber bullet.

I consider 230 grain bullets as my minimum in 45 auto. If I'm hunting deer, I load up 45 Super with a Beartooth 265 grain WFNGC at 1,000+ fps. This gives an SD of 0.185, which is similar to only a 240 grain 44 caliber bullet.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 14:25   #39
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
The old standard for years has been the 230 grain fmj. But I wouldn't go so far as to refer to this as a "heavy-for-caliber load in 45 Auto.
I would 'cause it is. (heavy for caliber, that is)

Not too many bullet weights are offered above 230 gr. for the .45ACP. I think the only one out there at this time is a specialty load by Buffalo Bore (a 255 gr HCFN). For the .45ACP, 230 gr is heavy for caliber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
Now, I don't know anyone who would consider a 140 grain jhp in 357 a heavy-for-caliber bullet.
That is why the term "heavy for caliber" specifies "for caliber"- the .357 isn't a .45- the .357 has a greater usable case capacity and can push bullets of higher sectional density than the .45. It is a different caliber afterall.

Last edited by M 7; 02-22-2013 at 14:29..
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 14:35   #40
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 7 View Post
I would 'cause it is. (heavy for caliber, that is)

Not too many bullet weights are offered above 230 gr. for the .45ACP. I think the only one out there at this time is a specialty load by Buffalo Bore (a 255 gr HCFN). For the .45ACP, 230 gr is heavy for caliber.

That is why the term "heavy for caliber" specifies "for caliber"- the .357 isn't a .45- the .357 has a greater usable case capacity and can push bullets of higher sectional density than the .45. It is a different caliber afterall.

^^^^^^^^ Alll this.

Howdy old friend.
your tu tu much man !

CanyonMan