GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2013, 22:02   #176
Triple7

I guess it depends on what you call "fit".
I'm not a runner by any means but can run for about 1 1/2 miles at a pretty good pace, I'm pretty strong, not very fast anymore.

Gen 2 Glock 17
Gen 4 Glock 17
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 22:19   #177
domin8ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I would say you are lucky to be alive and there have been studies that have shown that people with a little extra weight live longer than skinny people. Good luck.
That study all depends on whether the fat is subcutaneous or visceral. Subcutaneous fat would make you correct. Regardless, you are correct about him still being alive.
domin8ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 22:26   #178
VonHoffmann

In shape enough I believe.

I'm 42 years old 5'9" and weigh 166 lbs.

I run 5k every other day and on the days I don't run I do 120 sit ups and 100 push ups.

I started this routine last September to get ready for 6 days in a row at Disneyland with my 3 and 5 year old this February. When I started I weighed 183.

I am pleased to say I did all six days with one of the kids on my shoulders for most of the day and was ready to keep going.

I am back from the trip now but am really enjoying feeling fit. I am starting kettle bells next week and am in the best condition since college when I was scuba diving the channel islands off California.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
VonHoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 23:02   #179
jadmt

No not really. I am 54 yoa have a crappy diet. I have run 9 marathons pr is 2:48 (slowest 3:00:05 at Boston). more 1/2's then I can count, once did a certified 10 miler in 59 minutes. 40K TT in 57+ minutes. Did a 1/2 Ironman in just over 4 hours and I am a poor swimmer, fortuneately I had a fast bike and decent run (sub 90) I can do 75 pushups rest for 1 minute and pop out 50 more. I am on no medication. I keep telling myself this is the year that I clean up my diet stop drinking beer and get in shape but it does not happen lol Seems like I am getting older and the younger guys are getting younger.
jadmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 00:22   #180
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I'm in decent shape. Could definitely be better, but don't care enough to hit the gym anymore than I have to.

I'm ok with myself.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 00:49   #181
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
I'd like to know what those 'well known' guidelines are.
The Presidents Physical Fitness Test is a good start.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 00:50   #182
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
I would say you are lucky to be alive and there have been studies that have shown that people with a little extra weight live longer than skinny people. Good luck.
Got a link to some of these studies?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:23   #183
dugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Ironman is an eating contest. You know that.

:-)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Are we talking about THE Ironman? If so, I don't know... after working in the medical tent, I think there might be a little bit more to it than that.

Me, having been in fairly decent shape for a good number of years, I don't consider myself to be in good shape now. While I still do some physical training, no use kidding myself.

Compared to peers, that evaluation might be different, but in relation to a real-time fighting situation the severe stress/shock the system has to work within demands a different comparison. I would not consider being able to get through a rough day more easily than the next "regular" guy as any kind of a measure of fighting shape.

Last edited by dugo; 02-28-2013 at 06:04..
dugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00   #184
dugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4691 View Post
Round is a shape!

I'm unhappy because I eat... I eat because I'm unhappy. ITS A VICIOUS CYCLE!

lol I need to hit the gym, or get out when it warms up. My cardio is almost non-existent. I would like to work back up to 5 miles on the elliptical again, but took the summer/fall/winter off completely after I hurt my knee last year but I still walk 2.5 miles a day 4 days a week.
Interesting note: I understand that authoritative studies have shown that fat people generally have MORE will power (not less) than slim or "normal" folks.

I'd guess that your two-and-a-half miles is good for now. I'd be careful of the knee and try to gradually increase my speed.

Hope this is not a hyjack, but FYI: I went with my wife to a race-walking seminar with an olympic contender and an 87 year old that could walk faster for longer than most serious competitive runners in his age group (and did it). Very enlightening few days.

In spite of the butt-wagging technique that makes people want to laugh, Race-Walking is very efficient (and fast -- the olympic guy could do 8-minute miles for a marathon), while actually producing LESS shock/stress to the legs and joints than regular fast walking -- and WAY less than running. It can be much easier on the joints while still getting the heart rate well up into conditioning levels.

For comparison, to me, it is very much like a refined version of the "pioneer-walk"/aka "woodsman's-walk" that back-country hikers do to reduce effort going long distances.

That kind of technique can be great for saving knees while walking for exercise.

Last edited by dugo; 02-28-2013 at 06:02..
dugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27   #185
pjva04
Snub Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to pjva04
This is a real eye opener of a post. I wouldn't consider myself a survivalist, though I really would like to learn more about being prepared without it overtaking my life as it is. I do place a considerable amount of importance in my life on fitness and health.

I am 40 now, and a few years ago I came across something called MovNat. It focuses on the importance of natural movement and using the mind and body together to complete tasks/obstacles/etc...While I don't fully invest myself in the MovNat regimen, I do rely on its principles quite heavily when exercising, playing, etc...

Yes, I do own guns and feel if whatever you choose to call the dissolution of society happens, they will be a very helpful tool. I think knowledge, wisdom, mental and emotional toughness, and physical fitness/health are more important tools should that day come. I guess I better start working on the part I am lacking most, which is the knowledge portion.
Old 02-28-2013, 14:32   #186
Shockem841

Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
Old 02-28-2013, 16:02   #187
Never Nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfd View Post
you realize they think you have money and that your close to death right?
That's funny right there.

NN
Old 02-28-2013, 18:25   #188
GlockN

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
There are various ways to measure fitness. Extended aerobic endurance is good, but people tend to overlook anaerobic endurance and strength. No one is going to argue that sprinters aren't in good shape. How much distance running do you think they do?

The problem with using middle- and long-distance running as a yardstick for fitness is that training for that kind of event necessarily decreases your capacity for a lot other athletic tasks. A track guy will smoke a football player in a 5k, but the football player will kill the track guy in the shorter stuff, and has a lot more functional strength.
You are sadly mistaken about this. Go look up the top 5k runners in the world and see how they train. Then get back to me.
GlockN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 18:49   #189
EPTSSP
Vigilante

Quote:
Thanks JB, I think so too. Not quite out of the woods yet, but I am still vertical, so I shouldn't complain too much.
Old 02-28-2013, 18:53   #190
EPTSSP
Vigilante

Quote:
Since you are lifting heavy weights, that BMI is not a real concern. Good luck!

Thanks Detectorist. The strongman stuff is fun, it is interesting to get a new personal best on atlas stones or log press. Just non conventional stuff that could equate to real world things. Once there is no longer 3-4 feet of snow on the ground and we start flipping tires and dragging a sled then I think the weight will come off more.
Old 02-28-2013, 20:32   #191
sputnik767

Quote:
Since you are lifting heavy weights, that BMI is not a real concern. Good luck!
Not exactly. Just because you're lifting heavy weights does not necessarily mean that you have enough muscle mass to throw off the BMI calculations. You also have to define "heavy," because it is not exactly an objective measure. BMI is certainly an imperfect measure and should be interpreted by the physician instead of just being taken at face value. Having said that, it is the best correlation we have with weight without doing costly and time consuming tests, and is accurate for the vast majority of people.

Last edited by sputnik767; 02-28-2013 at 21:43..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 21:16   #192
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugo View Post
Are we talking about THE Ironman? If so, I don't know... after working in the medical tent, I think there might be a little bit more to it than that.

Me, having been in fairly decent shape for a good number of years, I don't consider myself to be in good shape now. While I still do some physical training, no use kidding myself.

Compared to peers, that evaluation might be different, but in relation to a real-time fighting situation the severe stress/shock the system has to work within demands a different comparison. I would not consider being able to get through a rough day more easily than the next "regular" guy as any kind of a measure of fighting shape.
You worked the medical tent at kona?

It's a triathlon joke. Assuming athletes are equally conditioned the one who can get the most calories in without negative effects, wins.

For everyone else it's funny because they aren't nearly that fit or talented.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 21:56   #193
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8ss View Post
Short answer: No.....

However, I have been taking my physical fitness more seriously over the last year. I was over 300 lbs. and couldn't run for 60 seconds to save my life even if I had a donut hanging in front of me like a donkey with a carrot. For the record, I hate junk food, including donuts. Always have. My problem has always been portion control. A year ago my doctor told me everything except my HDL (good cholesterol) was good. He said if we didn't address that I would be lucky to see 35 without having a heart attack. He wanted to put me on pills. Pills are not a practical solution for me, so I asked him what were my other options. He said I needed to get off the couch and workout. So I did. I began with Couch to 5K. It was tough, but I did complete a 5k that I ran (slowly) the entire way. Total time was 37:44. At the same time I was weightlifting. Total workouts were 3 hours 3 times per week. Then I moved to another state in the summer and stopped working out until I got a job and was more familiar with my new area. Once I started again I got injured. Doctors told me to stop for a few weeks. Once I was healed I started again, only to get stopped by the cold weather (lack of access to treadmill). I finally have access to a treadmill now and started working out again last month. I'm doing c25K again, but using the treadmill to improve speed. I hope to complete a 5k in under 28 minutes in the spring.

So, no I am not in great shape, but I'm making strides in acheiving that. My wife is finally on board too. Good, because I need her to survive should shtf. She's a Navy Nurse and has combat casualty care training.
Keep up the good work. You will make your goals if you commit to them.
Old 02-28-2013, 23:10   #194
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN View Post
You are sadly mistaken about this. Go look up the top 5k runners in the world and see how they train. Then get back to me.
First, I was responding to a post about using Marathon times for a measure of fitness. A 5k runner sort of walks the line between the Marathoner's "slow twitch" and the sprinter's "fast twitch" specializations.

However, if 5k runners are better at short distances than football players, then why do elite sprinters look like NFL receivers, running backs, and cornerbacks, rather than elite distance runners?

In a 100m, I'd take Chris Johnson or Devin Hester over the world's best 5k man, any day.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 23:40   #195
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Not exactly. Just because you're lifting heavy weights does not necessarily mean that you have enough muscle mass to throw off the BMI calculations. You also have to define "heavy," because it is not exactly an objective measure. BMI is certainly an imperfect measure and should be interpreted by the physician instead of just being taken at face value. Having said that, it is the best correlation we have with weight without doing costly and time consuming tests, and is accurate for the vast majority of people.
The guy is only 1 point over the 'normal' range. So yea, with the added muscle he's probably put on, I'd say he's more than OK in the BMI area. He's also running 3 times a week. I don't see a problem with his BMI.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 23:43   #196
Detectorist

Quote:
First, I was responding to a post about using Marathon times for a measure of fitness. A 5k runner sort of walks the line between the Marathoner's "slow twitch" and the sprinter's "fast twitch" specializations.

However, if 5k runners are better at short distances than football players, then why do elite sprinters look like NFL receivers, running backs, and cornerbacks, rather than elite distance runners?

In a 100m, I'd take Chris Johnson or Devin Hester over the world's best 5k man, any day.
Yea, comparing 5k runners and football players is.... no contest. Many football players are also track men..up to 100m sprinters... folks just don't realize how fast the fast players are.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:50   #197
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Yea, comparing 5k runners and football players is.... no contest. Many football players are also track men..up to 100m sprinters... folks just don't realize how fast the fast players are.
About twenty years ago, when Herchel Walker was thinking about being an FBI agent, a friend of mine took him to Quantico to see the FBI academy. While he was there, they ran Walker through the standard physical fitness test. He was maxing out every event until he got to the last one, the two mile run. He couldn't make the time (16:30).

He said his running training consisted of doing fifty yard sprints over and over and over again. He never did any aerobic conditioning.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21   #198
M&P15T
Beard One

Absolutely not, but I'm working on it.

I did a big lower body work out yesterday. Today, my ass is so sore I can barely sit, and I still did 40 mintues of cardio.

I'm in pain....LOL!!
M&P15T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 14:28   #199
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
About twenty years ago, when Herchel Walker was thinking about being an FBI agent, a friend of mine took him to Quantico to see the FBI academy. While he was there, they ran Walker through the standard physical fitness test. He was maxing out every event until he got to the last one, the two mile run. He couldn't make the time (16:30).

He said his running training consisted of doing fifty yard sprints over and over and over again. He never did any aerobic conditioning.
I absolutely believe it. However, this does not mean Walker was not fit, it just means that he never bothered to train his body for longer, steady state cardio. Even with an abysmal 2 mile time, he was probably healthier than anyone else in Quantico. More and more research is showing that high intensity training does more to lower resting heart rate and blood pressure than traditional steady-state cardio, in addition to burning fat much more efficiently by altering the body's hormonal state and caloric requirements for many hours after the workout.

Walker, at 6'1" and something like 225, had a vertical jump of 40.5" (about 6" above the NBA average). He ran 100 yards in 9.3 seconds. I don't remember the times, but he also had very good 200 and 440 times.

Decades of using miles of running as a yardstick have ingrained the idea that you have to run far to be fit, but that is not the case. It will certainly make you healthy, but it's not the only way to get healthy. A well conditioned distance runner will have good blood pressure and cardiac health. The same is true for a well conditioned sprinter. However, looking at law enforcement work, which is more likely to be useful: being able to run pretty fast for a couple of miles after a suspect, or going like a bat out of hell for a couple of hundred yards to chase down a suspect? I don't have any numbers handy, but I'd wager not many foot chases go much over a quarter mile.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Last edited by crazymoose; 03-01-2013 at 14:29..
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 14:30   #200
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
I don't have any numbers handy, but I'd wager not many foot chases go much over a quarter mile.
They sure wouldn't go that far with Walker or any other speed demon chasing you.