Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:04   #151
silverfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
Yes.

I am a senior citizen and young hot women keep hitting on me.

you realize they think you have money and that your close to death right?
silverfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35   #152
nathanours
Texan

I'm 23, bike 4 miles to class twice a day, and lift weights twice a week. I weigh 150 and can bench 180. I can run for at least 5 miles, so I'd consider myself in decent shape.

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42   #153
nostalgiaguy

I came home from the doctor the other day and told my wife that the doc said I had the body of a 25 year old. She said.." Well you better give it back because you are getting it all fat and wrinkled"
nostalgiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 19:40   #154
vikingsoftpaw

I am in shape. Round is a shape.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33   #155
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfanbob View Post
Completely agree. Quite a large number of folks concern themselves about making sure they have 10,000 rounds for each firearm as SHTF preps but can't be bothered to even attempt to get in better shape. Let's face it, getting and staying in shape is a lifestyle and hard work therefore most people in general (in and out of the gun community) are not going to be willing to do so.

I consider myself in decent shape. Strength wise I am happy (but want more) but I need to do more cardio for sure.
I have seen older people try and lose a lot of weight and die from it. Common sense also has to be present in any exercise format. Just what is "in shape"? This is a subjective issue.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49   #156
AA_Khost

In my late fifties and into my sixties I roamed the mountainous region of Khost with men in their twenties,with a weapon and a ruck. I do okay.
Of course there were men my age and older than myself that did the same. Still very active in the outdoors today.

'Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty'-Thomas Jefferson
AA_Khost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:04   #157
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I have seen older people try and lose a lot of weight and die from it. Common sense also has to be present in any exercise format. Just what is "in shape"? This is a subjective issue.

"In shape" is not subjective. Only someone whose brain was out of shape would ever make that argument.

It may be different for different people, but there are well known guidelines for all ages, and folks with all sorts of afflictions (one kidney, no legs, etc).
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27   #158
amorican88

I can look down and still see "it". Good enough for me.

NRA & Iowa Firearms Coalition Member
amorican88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:42   #159
jeffb1911

Yes I am, but I'll never stop training.
jeffb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12   #160
Ralff

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfd View Post
you realize they think you have money and that your close to death right?
I was thinking something like this, but you put it so much more harshly than I ever could.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21   #161
GlockN

beach muscles look okay, but if you don't have it in the cardio department you will not make if very far. Please post marathon times.
GlockN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:26   #162
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

Well, I am 68 years old. The NFL, NBA, NHL, and all local law enforcement agencies have long since stopped knocking at my door. I understand that "fit" is a relative term but as I go through my day to day bidness and observe other men my age and even younger I feel pretty good about myself. I'm not in perfect health but none of my problem are obvious by my appearance or restrict me to any significant degree physically.

I still have a hard step in my walk and plenty of hard bark around the trunk so to speak. I don't know what tomorrow brings but I feel pretty good for now.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 14:28   #163
jim goose
"The Goose"

I am 6'4" 215, down from 260 when my kids were born 9 yrs ago. I am 41 now. I was 180 in high school, but i swam 10-15k a day back then, so I think 205 would be ideal for me.

I keep it simple now, I gave up the weights after shoulder sprains (swimming 15k in the day does not help) and run 5k 4x a week now, plus sit ups, push ups, and rows. SInce i quit the weights 4 months ago, ive dropped 10 pounds. I think to prevent injury, lightening the load is the first requirement before you start doing too much.
jim goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 14:56   #164
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN View Post
beach muscles look okay, but if you don't have it in the cardio department you will not make if very far. Please post marathon times.
There are various ways to measure fitness. Extended aerobic endurance is good, but people tend to overlook anaerobic endurance and strength. No one is going to argue that sprinters aren't in good shape. How much distance running do you think they do?

The problem with using middle- and long-distance running as a yardstick for fitness is that training for that kind of event necessarily decreases your capacity for a lot other athletic tasks. A track guy will smoke a football player in a 5k, but the football player will kill the track guy in the shorter stuff, and has a lot more functional strength.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 15:26   #165
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
"In shape" is not subjective. Only someone whose brain was out of shape would ever make that argument.

It may be different for different people, but there are well known guidelines for all ages, and folks with all sorts of afflictions (one kidney, no legs, etc).
I'd like to know what those 'well known' guidelines are.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 15:27   #166
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaguy View Post
I came home from the doctor the other day and told my wife that the doc said I had the body of a 25 year old. She said.." Well you better give it back because you are getting it all fat and wrinkled"

Hey nos, I think my Grandfather was born in Lenoir. All my family is from that area - Wilson

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-27-2013, 15:34   #167
jakebrake
cracker

i am physically phhhlllltttt. is that close enough?
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 17:14   #168
domin8ss

Short answer: No.....

However, I have been taking my physical fitness more seriously over the last year. I was over 300 lbs. and couldn't run for 60 seconds to save my life even if I had a donut hanging in front of me like a donkey with a carrot. For the record, I hate junk food, including donuts. Always have. My problem has always been portion control. A year ago my doctor told me everything except my HDL (good cholesterol) was good. He said if we didn't address that I would be lucky to see 35 without having a heart attack. He wanted to put me on pills. Pills are not a practical solution for me, so I asked him what were my other options. He said I needed to get off the couch and workout. So I did. I began with Couch to 5K. It was tough, but I did complete a 5k that I ran (slowly) the entire way. Total time was 37:44. At the same time I was weightlifting. Total workouts were 3 hours 3 times per week. Then I moved to another state in the summer and stopped working out until I got a job and was more familiar with my new area. Once I started again I got injured. Doctors told me to stop for a few weeks. Once I was healed I started again, only to get stopped by the cold weather (lack of access to treadmill). I finally have access to a treadmill now and started working out again last month. I'm doing c25K again, but using the treadmill to improve speed. I hope to complete a 5k in under 28 minutes in the spring.

So, no I am not in great shape, but I'm making strides in acheiving that. My wife is finally on board too. Good, because I need her to survive should shtf. She's a Navy Nurse and has combat casualty care training.
domin8ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 17:39   #169
pugman

I got hooked on obstacle racing (Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, etc) last year.

My maintenance routine is half my weight workout one night; the other half the following, run a 5 miles the next, then do an hour of yoga on night 4

Once I ramp up for the race in a few months its weights one night; run the next with increments to 12 miles, then yoga.

Repeat with one day off a week.

Am I super fit-probably not. Am I in the best shape of my life as I type this-yes
Old 02-27-2013, 19:38   #170
EPTSSP
Vigilante

In the end of 2011 I was around 205lbs and was boxing 4-5 days a week, I am 5'8". In January 2012 I was diagnosed with Stage IVB Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I stopped boxing, gained 40lbs moved 1500 miles across America and wen through 6 months of chemo. I quit chemo in August 2012. I started a weight training program in the end of November/ beginning of December.

I am now 227 lbs. My BMI is 25.75. (not great I know) I have 168lbs of lean mass and bone. With 58lbs of fat. I need to lose about 27lbs. I do strongman style weight lifting 5 days a week and run 3 days a week. The BMI was done by a doctor so it's not just the internet calculations. I would ideally like to be around 190-200. We shall see how it goes. I am no marathon runner, but I can survive.
Old 02-27-2013, 19:57   #171
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPTSSP View Post
In the end of 2011 I was around 205lbs and was boxing 4-5 days a week, I am 5'8". In January 2012 I was diagnosed with Stage IVB Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I stopped boxing, gained 40lbs moved 1500 miles across America and wen through 6 months of chemo. I quit chemo in August 2012. I started a weight training program in the end of November/ beginning of December.

I am now 227 lbs. My BMI is 25.75. (not great I know) I have 168lbs of lean mass and bone. With 58lbs of fat. I need to lose about 27lbs. I do strongman style weight lifting 5 days a week and run 3 days a week. The BMI was done by a doctor so it's not just the internet calculations. I would ideally like to be around 190-200. We shall see how it goes. I am no marathon runner, but I can survive.
Since you are lifting heavy weights, that BMI is not a real concern. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2013, 19:59   #172
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Yes, for my age.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 21:41   #173
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaguy View Post
That is a good one.
Old 02-27-2013, 21:44   #174
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPTSSP View Post

I would say you are lucky to be alive and there have been studies that have shown that people with a little extra weight live longer than skinny people. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2013, 21:47   #175
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorican88 View Post
I can look down and still see "it". Good enough for me.
That is what matters.