Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2013, 21:05   #101
Rick C
affiant

Oh hell no, after 63 years of abuse, who knew..
If I wasn't still thin and good lookin', I'd probably be long gone.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39   #102
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
I just weighed an empty Hofbrauhaus mug.

47.5 oz. empty. That is almost 3 lb. Add 1.1 liters of beer ....
Too heavy for me to lift. I limit myself to twelve ouncers. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:37   #103
Dan_ntx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
I can see my willy without a mirror. I can also see (the tips of) my shoes and I can walk into McDonalds to pick up my order instead of using the drive thru. I also don't believe in the "Carside to go" deal at the chain restaurants. My job involves a long day of sitting in front of a computer, so any physical activity I do, is on my own. I take my dog for a walk every night (about 1/2 mile), I've been working on the couch to 5k program to get my cardio going and I'm still waiting for the NY resolutioners to leave the gym.

Sidebar... I did the C25k last Summer. I've NEVER been a runner, I do not enjoy running. I had to repeat a couple of workouts because I didn't feel like I could honestly say I did them correctly...but I got through it and did run a 5k...so did my then 11 year of son who is also not much of a distance runner.

He used to dread "mile day" at school but now it doesn't phase him. I left running and went to swimming, but I credit C25k for teaching me a regimented training program that can be applied to other physical activities.

Stay with it!
Dan_ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44   #104
Dirknar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona2004 View Post
35, 6'2" & 200lbs. Best shape of my life but still looking to improve. I'm running 30+ miles, doing 3-4 hours on the elliptical and lifting 3-4 days/week. Currently training for a half marathon in May.
Nice!! Keep up the hard work..

A year ago,i decided i was way to fat.. 35, 5-11" @ 225lbs.. I'm a HVAC commercial construction installer so my job is very physical but that isn't enough.. I do a lot of physical stuff on the weekends but that still want enough.. I quit drinking alcohol, joined a gym and changed my eating habits bigtime.. It took a few months of 4-5 days a week of elipticals, treadmills, free weights and clean eating, i initially lost 40 lbs.. I was weighing in at 182-185.. Since snowboarding season started, I've been up at the mountain 2 days a week and no gym time but still weigh in at 188-190.. I'll never get fat again, unless i get injured our something..
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04   #105
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I'm in good shape. I workout 4 days a week lifting weights, doing cardio and jogging on the treadmill. The treadmill thing I've been doing for about a year but I've been working out for years. I'm about 6'1" and weigh almost 270 lbs, but I'm pretty quick and it's mostly muscle. I could probably stand to lose about 15 lbs, but overall I'm in a lot better shape than most 32 year olds.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:13   #106
klmmicro

Send a message via Yahoo to klmmicro

Uuugh, I had to read that post title...Easiest answer is "not the shape I would like to be in".

At 40, I started gaining around the middle. I am strong enough, it is not that. Just too many "extra pounds" and they are harder to get rid of than when I was younger. Guess a little bit harder work is required.

*10 Ring, MBR and Reloading Clubs: #436*
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25   #107
jucs

A lot can be done for your health with no exercise. In fact, diet makes up 85% of the problem people have. Here's an example of someone I have been helping.

Results in THREE months with 37 yr old male:
Before: Cholesterol: 272, Triglycerides: 419, LDL: 160
After: Cholesterol: 155, Triglycerides: 93, LDL: 86
Bodyweight - down 30lbs
Blood Pressure - down 30pts.

It does not have to be complicated. No counting calories, no fancy workouts, no buzz word bingo....it's simple stuff.

I guess I would not have expected this topic to come up here but for those more interested here is the one time shameless plug:
http://www.transformyourphysique.com/

Last edited by jucs; 02-23-2013 at 08:27..
jucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 16:57   #108
RoughTexturedTrav
Spenser4Hire

I feel like i'm in better shape since leaving the military. So much downtime to concentrate on a decent diet and get plenty of sleep. Also i'm not around a bunch of lovable alcoholics so my metabolism isn't completely screwed. Right now i'm running 4-5 miles every day or so and working out and boxing in the garage. Life is good.

Chesty Puller USMC
RoughTexturedTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 17:06   #109
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I have to be. If I wasn't, I'd never be able to keep up with the physical demands of my job. Besides, I never want to be a fat slob.
Old 02-23-2013, 17:08   #110
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Drinking beer makes you lose a few pounds?? I'M IN!
If that was the case, then I'd be in the best shape of my life. I guess my wording was a little off, drinking beer will do that to ya.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 17:33   #111
Jakestir

I was literally about to make a thred about this. It drives me crazy seeing all these prepers who get winded walking from one side of the gun store to the other. My favorite are the people who are fat and say stuff like "even though im fat im still in shape."

To answer the question, yes I am in very good shape. I lift 5 days a week and run 3 or 4 times a week.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Jakestir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 18:58   #112
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

Id say yes and no, at 51 I can still bench 300lbs six times. I've been into lifting since I was a kid and still keep in pretty good shape. I really need to eat better and start doing some cardio. I snapped my knee back in high school (football) and have had surgery on it twice over the years so running is out of the question. My job keeps me on the move a lot but I need to take up some sort of cardio exercise, maybe bike riding or something easy on the knees.
Old 02-23-2013, 18:58   #113
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotback View Post
If you are doing something like running or lifting weights...basically anything, you are ahead of a lot of folks.
Sad but true.

The majority of Americans are a bunch of fatties. It is shameful. Our nation seems to be comprised of a bunch of fatties who just are herded together and we take no shame in it. I remember speaking a few Europeans and they were shocked at our portion sizes and the amount we eat. They told me they can always spot the American because the American is the fattest in the room.

I do remember reading it is primarily in the South Just another reasons to end Medicaid and Medicare. We can't afford to treat them.

Studies have shown that the the more rural the area, the more obesity is a common trait of its characteristics. Just something that I found interesting.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 19:51   #114
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
Sad but true.

The majority of Americans are a bunch of fatties. It is shameful. Our nation seems to be comprised of a bunch of fatties who just are herded together and we take no shame in it. I remember speaking a few Europeans and they were shocked at our portion sizes and the amount we eat. They told me they can always spot the American because the American is the fattest in the room.

I do remember reading it is primarily in the South Just another reasons to end Medicaid and Medicare. We can't afford to treat them.

Studies have shown that the the more rural the area, the more obesity is a common trait of its characteristics. Just something that I found interesting.
Sad but very true. And so many seriously obese people think it's no problem. We also have the fattest poor people in the world. Part of it might have to do with education. If they don't have the intelligence, education or skills to achieve any level of success, they probably have never learned how to eat right, either.

Whether it's laziness or dumbness, there is rarely an excuse for it. The man who will not work out has nothing on the man who cannot work out.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 19:58   #115
jucs

It's a food addiction and it's all around us. Eat healthy and avoid the processed crap and you will start to drop bodyfat without even exercising. There are a lot of people exercising like crazy and yet look like they never stepped foot in a gym. It's because of what they eat. There isn't that many calories burned compared to stuffing one's face with food.
Old 02-23-2013, 20:09   #116
Jakestir

I do I agree that eating healthy is important but a person can be skinny and in terrible shape. Both are important but from what I have seen working out and being active is more so. When I say working out I don't mean a 10 minute bike ride. A person must push themselves to stay in shape.

Old 02-23-2013, 20:29   #117
jucs

I never said not workout. There are lots of people working out like hamsters. And, they look like crap because they don't eat the proper foods and/or eat too much period.
Old 02-23-2013, 20:42   #118
Chuck66
Traveling Man

Meh. I'm not going to be on the cover of Men's Health anytime soon, but I'm willing to bet I'm doing better that most. I'm a gym-goer, mix cardio with weights, and I'm active outdoors, all despite a painful chronic back problem. I have a serious carb thing that I can't kick and I'm carrying the extra weight because of it. Goes back to what the couple fellas above me are saying, and I agree. If I could lay off the sodas and breads I'd be doing a lot better. But I'm strong, and have stamina. I'd rather have the extra weight and still be fit under my insulation than skinny-fat.
Freemason's Lodge #66

Behold! How swiftly the sands run, and how rapidly our lives are drawing to a close.

Last edited by Chuck66; 02-23-2013 at 20:51..
Chuck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 21:37   #119
AKR
GAP'r

I'm 58. I swim 2/3 of a mile non-stop, 3 times each week. I can swim twice that distance non-stop if someone will bet me enough. (I've been swimming regularly since 1989.) I walk my dog 30 minutes each day, no matter the weather. (She insists.) We hike steep mountain trails during the warmer months for hours at a time. I work out with weights and do floor and ball exercises several hours each week. I maintain my own yard, shovel my own snow, wash and wax my own vehicles, and maintain my own house. I have a great doctor who put me on a very healthy diet about 7 months ago. I weigh the same as when I started, but I've taken off 10 lbs of fat and replaced it with 10 lbs of lean body mass. My blood tests were normal for the first time in years. I had to buy suspenders for my pants. I've had a few serious health issues in the past couple of years, but everything seems to be under control now.
Old 02-23-2013, 21:51   #120
Jakestir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jucs View Post
I never said not workout. There are lots of people working out like hamsters. And, they look like crap because they don't eat the proper foods and/or eat too much period.
Well obviously u can't eat McDonalds everyday, for most people. Haha There are guys that I have played baseball with would eat crap like that everyday. Hit the gym and be all good. :banghead:

Old 02-23-2013, 22:01   #121
FLGatorFan

Nope. No excuse, just lazy. Really need to make a change.
FLGatorFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 23:44   #122
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Heck no. I had to climb a 60' ladder today with @ 15lbs of tools. (and of course winter jacket/insulated coveralls/gloves/pac boots)
I didn't get 30' before I had to stop for 3 breaths, then every 10' I took a pause. I claimed I didn't want to overheat... I just wanted to catch my breath. Had one ladder rung "fail" Was able to hold myself/pull up with ease.
I keep toying with having my busted up knee replaced. It took over 10 hrs to bolt this together.. They do claim new knees last better... Thing is this is still my bone (with @ 27 SS screws, 3 plates...) (best we could guess from x-rays Dr. claimed he had no idea how many as he was too exhausted to ask)
10k was my distance. Endurance not speed. Last summer I broke a tendon from my finger to elbow. Can still feel it to some extent. (Dr. said if I had come in same day 50% they could have attached it. After couple weeks nothing)
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:35   #123
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakestir View Post
I do I agree that eating healthy is important but a person can be skinny and in terrible shape. Both are important but from what I have seen working out and being active is more so. When I say working out I don't mean a 10 minute bike ride. A person must push themselves to stay in shape.

In my experience it is more about diet than working out. If you live a somewhat active lifestyle and eat reasonably, you should be OK. It is just most Americans cannot stop themselves from stuffing their faces and just eating garbage all day.

Our nation has its priorities backwards. We subsidize corn and essentially subsidize sugar (HFCS) rather than vegetables. We don't force corporations to put proper labels on food and allow them to escape putting real nutritional values. Under Reagan we called Ketchup a vegetable along with French Fries.

When schools in some states tried to get kids to eat right and stop selling junk food, parents showed up with candy and cookies to protest. We are sick. It is an addiction of sorts, but we allow it to go on and it threatens our nation and national security.

We spend more money subsidizing unhealthy food while we are forced to pay for the healthcare of fatties all across the nation. I believe Illinois is the only state where Physical Education is still a requirement for students, or Illinois is one of the very few. We cut those programs in the name of austerity but yet we don't realize in the long run the cost it will have on us. Our quality of life is declining. This is a very sad and disturbing trend.

Last edited by ChiTownPicaro; 02-24-2013 at 02:39..
Old 02-24-2013, 02:38   #124
GVFlyer

Moderately - there's always room for improvement. I always maxed the APFT in the military - think I could come close today. I just did a 15 day boot camp. At course completion, I won the run and the "who can stay in the "plank" position the longest" as well as the "who can hold up the wall the longest" competition where you put your back against the wall and slide down to where your legs are at a 90 degree angle to the wall and hold it . FWIW, I was the oldest person in the class. <Sux.

I try to continuously surprise my body with what I have in store for it - I do cardio and weight training, yoga sculpt and have been doing "Insanity" and "Physique 57" lately.

I wish I could find the motivation for an Iron Man like Herr Glock, but I'm going to have to make do with a "Mad Mudder" in May.

http://www.specialops.org/

Last edited by GVFlyer; 02-24-2013 at 02:42..
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:51   #125
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Moderately - there's always room for improvement. I always maxed the APFT in the military - think I could come close today. I just did a 15 day boot camp. At course completion, I won the run and the "who can stay in the "plank" position the longest" as well as the "who can hold up the wall the longest" competition where you put your back against the wall and slide down to where your legs are at a 90 degree angle to the wall and hold it . FWIW, I was the oldest person in the class. <Sux.

I try to continuously surprise my body with what I have in store for it - I do cardio and weight training, yoga sculpt and have been doing "Insanity" and "Physique 57" lately.

I wish I could find the motivation for an Iron Man like Herr Glock, but I'm going to have to make do with a "Mad Mudder" in May.
Well you sound like you are doing well. How is "Insanity" working for you? I have P90X and the original P90 but was curious about the newer program.