Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 20:42   #26
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_serpent View Post
So the excuse is that he was "uneducated" about the uses of a particular rifle?
So what happens the next time he takes a position on an issue that he is uneducated about?
Well that's the issue isn't it. He wasn't pure before. So he'll never be pure again.

OK, have it your own stupid way. Kick him out of our club. Got any ideas how to grow the group with only pure thinkers? We are going to need a couple hundred million. But first--lets get rid of as many people who might have once held a different opinion. That will teach em!

Way to make friends and influence people there guys...some of you need to take a Dale Carnegie course...

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 21:38   #27
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
So, why are you canceling your membership if you agree that semi-autos have no place in the hunting fields? Kind of a contradiction, don't you think?
I'm cancelling because he said semi-autos have no place in private ownership for any reason. I could care less about what he says about their use in hunting. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 22:05   #28
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPX View Post
Many clubs around here do not allow military style (AR or AK) rifles to be used. I have two leases. The landowners specifically specified in writing that they did not want military assault looking weapons on their property.
I agree with them. I do not allow them on my land for hurting Such rifles have no place in the hunting world.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I own over 200 guns. The most accurate one is a Remington AR15 in 223/5.56. It's first three groups when I first sighted it in were .250".

It out shoots two Remington 700 heavy barrel rifles.

My Rock River LAR8 (AR10 style M4 carbine in 308 Win) shoots as well a most bolt action rifles. So well I ordered a Rock River Varminter in 308. It will come with free floating handguard and I am willing to bet it will hold it's own with any bolt action if not beat them.

My friend you are prejudiced against rifle because of looks. In my gun world I accept all responsible gun owners. I judge guns by how well they shoot not how they look. I own several pretty guns such as Political Correct O/U's that the President shoots.

If I ever had to sell some of my guns because of age or need of money I would save at least one " military assault looking weapons" till I died.

The right to own and bear firearms is not about my right to hunt, it is about my right to defend myself against evil and tyranny.
Old 02-21-2013, 22:16   #29
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Since military pattern rifles "have no place in the hunting world," can you tell me the difference in these two scenarios?

1) I send a 7.62x51mm NATO round downrange through a scoped AR-10 and take an elk.

2) I send a .308 round downrange through a scoped Remington 700 and take an elk.

'Cause, to me, they seem about the same.

What goes on in this magic "hunting world" that the laws of throwing little lead rocks from slightly different metal tubes get so complicated?
Old 02-21-2013, 22:16   #30
c01
Crazy Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
I own over 200 guns. The most accurate one is a Remington AR15 in 223/5.56. It's first three groups when I first sighted it in were .250".

My Rock River LAR8 (AR10 style M4 carbine in 308 Win) shoots as well a most bolt action rifles. So well I ordered a Rock River Varminter in 308. It will come with free floating handguard and I am willing to bet it will hold it's own with any bolt action if not beat them.

My friend you are prejudiced against rifle because of looks. In my gun world I accept all responsible gun owners. I judge guns by how well they shoot not how they look. I own several pretty guns such as Political Correct O/U's that the President shoots.

If I ever had to sell some of my guns because of age or need of money I would save at least one " military assault looking weapons" till I died.

The right to own and bear firearms is not about my right to hunt, it is about my right to defend myself against evil and tyranny.
Quoted for truth and
c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 22:24   #31
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post

I sometimes wonder if it's jealousy. Modern black rifles can do everything all but the most highly-tuned bolt guns can do. The bolt gun is a one-trick pony, though, while the black rifles accept scopes AND optics, and lights, and lasers, and big, cheap magazines, and are lighter, and have much higher rates of fire.

Fudds don't like black rifles for the same reason horsemen didn't like cars.
Old 02-21-2013, 22:27   #32
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Many clubs around here do not allow military style (AR or AK) rifles to be used. I have two leases. The landowners specifically specified in writing that they did not want military assault looking weapons on their property.
I agree with them. I do not allow them on my land for hurting Such rifles have no place in the hunting world.

I'm speechless.

I hunt West Texas varmints jack rabbits, coyotes, hogs, unbalanced deer populations etc. with ARs all the time and have for years. There is no better platform for this duty IMO, with just a little TLC field grade ARs are accurate, dependable, light, tough, almost recoilless, and the ammo is light enough that I can carry several loaded 30 round mags around the ranch. Try that with your .270 or whatever.

You post is so dumb it makes me mad.
Old 02-21-2013, 22:30   #33
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
I agree 100%, but Mr. Zumbo said they had no place anywhere, period. HH
Next time you are in Texas give me a day and I'll change your mind.
Old 02-21-2013, 22:31   #34
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpleyg View Post
Are you serious?
Greg we've stepped straight into an episode of "The Twilight Zone"!
Old 02-21-2013, 22:36   #35
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Gee, I guess all that hunting I did, (when I could afford only one rifle) with my M-1 didn't count, what with it being a military semi-auto, with a bayonet lug no less.
And I bet she served you just fine.
Old 02-21-2013, 22:36   #36
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
About what? HH

Old 02-21-2013, 22:44   #37
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post

having met his type before i doubt that. but good luck anyway.
Old 02-21-2013, 22:45   #38
kiole

The Okie Corral
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 22:47   #39
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
having met his type before i doubt that. but good luck anyway.
And what type would that be? HH

Old 02-21-2013, 22:47   #40
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post
I sometimes wonder if it's jealousy. Modern black rifles can do everything all but the most highly-tuned bolt guns can do. The bolt gun is a one-trick pony, though, while the black rifles accept scopes AND optics, and lights, and lasers, and big, cheap magazines, and are lighter, and have much higher rates of fire.

Fudds don't like black rifles for the same reason horsemen didn't like cars.
Reminds me of a true gun story.

When the Army ask John Browning to design a bolt action rifle to shoot their new caliber to be used against tanks in the 1920's, he asked them why they wanted to go backward?

He design the M2. It is still being used today.
Old 02-21-2013, 22:50   #41
2bgop

Quote:

Are you quoting someone or is this clueless dribble all your own?
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 22:54   #42
BEER
bad example

Quote:
And what type would that be? HH
the ignorant type that believes the style of weapon has any impact on the ability to administer a quick clean kill. the ignorant type that thinks a .308 round is somehow less effective or somehow inhumane if it's coming out of an assault weapon instead of a bolt gun. the ignorant type that believes just because a weapon is capable of taking a 30 round mag that we're automatically going to use one, and even if we do we're going to load and use all 30 rounds to take down an animal.

that type.
Old 02-21-2013, 23:02   #43
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
the ignorant type that believes the style of weapon has any impact on the ability to administer a quick clean kill. the ignorant type that thinks a .308 round is somehow less effective or somehow inhumane if it's coming out of an assault weapon instead of a bolt gun. the ignorant type that believes just because a weapon is capable of taking a 30 round mag that we're automatically going to use one, and even if we do we're going to load and use all 30 rounds to take down an animal.

that type.
What does any of that have to do with this thread. As I've tried to make clear to the less astute, I chucked my membership because this clown doesn't want you or I to own "assault weapons." My apologies if this is simply beyond your grasp. HH

Old 02-21-2013, 23:02   #44
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
About what? HH
You seemed to agree with JeepX that ARs and similar have no place in hunting.

1. I'm here to tell you that tens of thousands of serious Texas hunters will be surprised to learn that the platform they reach for most often is actually not viable for varmint control and general hunting duties.

2. No joke if you have time we'll go to my ranch and varmint hunt. I'll bring two ARs - one for me and the other for you when you get tired of carrying whatever you currently use.

3. I killed a 450 lb. Nilgai Antelope with an AR some years ago - best kill of my life but an easy shot truth be told. Nilgai have crazy good eye sight and hearing making them super tough to hunt. Somehow I basically walked straight at this guy not seeing him until I was not more than 135/40 yards out to his port side.

4. I killed a 350 wild hog with an AR two years ago. And I've dispatched somewhere around 2,000 hogs - although lots of those were juveniles - over the years. I've killed untold numbers of coyotes and 10x that number of jack rabbits 95% of all those kills with ARs.

I simply and fully reject the notion that the AR is no good for hunting.
Old 02-21-2013, 23:09   #45
BEER
bad example

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with this thread. As I've tried to make clear to the less astute, I chucked my membership because this clown doesn't want you or I to own "assault weapons." My apologies if this is simply beyond your grasp. HH
apparently you got your wires crossed somewhere. somebody brought up zumbos old attitude towards assault weapons in the hunting world, then somebody in this thread agreed with that attitude, then somebody else offered to change that man's mind. i replied to that guy wishing him luck at which point you asked 'what type is that?" and i responded.

so to summarize, it had quite a bit to do with this thread, but little to nothing to do with you personally until you asked me a direct question and i answered it.

so my astute grasp of the situation and discussion indicates that i was in my lane on this one.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:02   #46
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy129 View Post
Yup, right here among us. It's all fun and games until they come for your fancy "high powered sniper rifles". Hope there's enough of you left.

The kommies will get to them too in due time.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39   #47
jboy

Hold on, there are people that actually believed Zumbo had a change of heart, and wasn't just protecting his meal ticket?
jboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:02   #48
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post
Since military pattern rifles "have no place in the hunting world," can you tell me the difference in these two scenarios?

1) I send a 7.62x51mm NATO round downrange through a scoped AR-10 and take an elk.

2) I send a .308 round downrange through a scoped Remington 700 and take an elk.

'Cause, to me, they seem about the same.

What goes on in this magic "hunting world" that the laws of throwing little lead rocks from slightly different metal tubes get so complicated?
There is no difference, but idiots are, well... Idiots.

The bolt action rifle these two probably prefer was and still are a military rifle.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:54   #49
HiddenEyes
It can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy View Post
Hold on, there are people that actually believed Zumbo had a change of heart, and wasn't just protecting his meal ticket?

If you find one let me know.

I can believe that maybe he changed his mind after it blew up in his face. I'm willing to give a guy a second chance if he earns it. I've not heard of him since, so I've yet to see him earn it. We got the mia culpa thing and then he has just been working on getting back into the same groove he was in, replacing sponsors etc.

I have a neighbor that is a hunting guide that knows Jim and he says that he's real careful what he says in public, but is bitter over what happened and still feels the same way about black rifles. I hope that isn't the case, Jim would be better off with the black rifle crowd as friends, and we don't need another enemy. But I'm not too sure, I don't like getting stuff second and third hand and another hunter friends said Jim it truly sorry and wishes he could take it back.

Anybody know of anything conrete he has done? In public?

Mr. HE

Moi Нет sprechen español
HiddenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 13:12   #50
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Quote:
Jim "I Hate Assault Weapons" Zumbo is back. HH

http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/Pre...nsRMEFBOD.aspx
Quote:
February 11, 2013

Respected Hunter, Writer, TV Host Joins RMEF Board of Directors

MISSOULA, Mont.—A familiar face known to many as the country’s most prominent big game hunter is joining the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation board of directors. Jim Zumbo is actually set to begin his third term on the board.
Public relations liars.
Did he just join the Board, or is he starting his third term?

Zumbo will probably join Biden on his balcony, shooting at skeets next.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote