I hope not

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-21-2013, 12:19   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

It wouldn't surprise me if it is real.

It's about control, not about guns.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:20   #4
eb07
Sharkin'

I call major BS
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21   #5
CorkyE

Snopes doesn't know anything about it and I haven't got my letter yet... Sounds like some more internet scare tactics.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21   #6
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

You wouldn't think that background checks were geared towards vets?
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23   #7
kensb2
pistol n00b

I actually had a civilian doctor change my PULHES "S" -psychiatric from a 1 to a 2 because I told her that I had been seen (a couple years) prior for some depression/adjustment issues and had been taking meds, but had been off them over a year with no issues. Had I not been able to get this changed, I would've lost my gov't security clearance, which meant I'd lose my current job, plus my job in the Reserves, and could've been kicked out of the Army. All this after a 5 minute interview.
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:06   #8
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
I call major BS
What if you are wrong?
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:08   #9
Henry Kane
Reverend

Was looking at the site's sources and there are some not-so-credible ones. Inforwars for example.

Found the author of the story's website and blog (the same story is posted there). His resume is pretty interesting.

http://michaelconnelly.jigsy.com/our-constitution
Henry Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:08   #10
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

While like many here I cannot verify the authenticity of this, it does pass many of the smell tests. To believe that this cannot happen is to believe the TSA really keeps us safe and that the government has our best interest at heart. If this is proven valid/true... there is going to be some serious fallout from this and it may well be ugly.
Old 02-21-2013, 13:09   #11
TSAX
USAF Vet

I have not received a letter like this "yet" and neither has anyone one I have spoke with. I will be in contact with some one from IAVA and other veterans groups Im involved with/part of tomorrow to see if they know anything about this.

NRA Member http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:12   #12
KalashniKEV

It's fake.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:13   #13
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
I call major BS

Yep.

Author claims to have just such a letter "in front" of him as he writes - yet, with all the modern conveniences available, he neglected to include a copy of the letter.

I also work with a number of veterans, more than one of whom has been diagnosed with PTSD. None have approached me (I'm the resident gun nut/"what the hell does this law mean?" guy) to ask about a letter they received.

Seems like a simple exercise to scan a .pdf copy and post it on the webpage. Even my phone has a free app that allows me to do just that, and it's a piece of crap.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:16   #14
Henry Kane
Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
What if you are wrong?
If the story is credible, I would like to think it'd cause a lot of public outrage, and possibly open the public's eyes to the (obvious) control agenda. That's what I'd like to think.
Sadly, what people actually support is too evident, and in clear contrast with what I would like to think would happen.
Old 02-21-2013, 13:17   #15
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
What if you are wrong?
What if he is right?

Either way, it's not the end of the world. We still follow laws in this country. For all you naysaying Chicken Little types, I'll refer you to Heller, McDonald, and the ongoing fallout from both in Illinois regarding carrying of firearms.

Yes, Obama is antigun - no one questions that (at least, no one sane). But, some like to feed the frenzy (infowars, anyone?) and make money off the results. Don't buy into the hype..

That doesn't mean we don't need to be vigilant - it just means that 95% of the hype is just that. Valid threats DO exist to gun ownership, no doubt...but, to read this board, you'd think the helicopters are spinning up as we speak to come get us.

I hope they tell me when they leave - I'd hate to miss the fun!
Old 02-21-2013, 13:24   #16
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
What if he is right?

Either way, it's not the end of the world. We still follow laws in this country. For all you naysaying Chicken Little types, I'll refer you to Heller, McDonald, and the ongoing fallout from both in Illinois regarding carrying of firearms.

Yes, Obama is antigun - no one questions that (at least, no one sane). But, some like to feed the frenzy (infowars, anyone?) and make money off the results. Don't buy into the hype..

That doesn't mean we don't need to be vigilant - it just means that 95% of the hype is just that. Valid threats DO exist to gun ownership, no doubt...but, to read this board, you'd think the helicopters are spinning up as we speak to come get us.

I hope they tell me when they leave - I'd hate to miss the fun!
As a patriot we are not required to follow laws that violate the Constitution. To do so only validates the "law" and gives it power. I think many patriots forget this, don't want to make waves... anyhow.

Personally I am sitting on the fence on this particular article/event. Chances are pretty good it's BS, but what if it isn't. Do we just accept the arbitrary ruling of a government body? It kind of smells of the crap that is happening in CA. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1472991
Old 02-21-2013, 13:33   #17
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

I love that codeword, "patriot". It warns me stupid stuff is about to be spoken.

As I said, Chicken Little is alive and well - and represented nicely within the gun community. Every single day, I read yet another article in GT detailing how the meanies are coming to take my guns. Yet, every single day, my Ft. Knox safe goes untouched.

Go figure.

What you, and others like you, are doing is best explained by reading the following fable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf

You do no good by sounding the alarm on a daily basis; indeed, you do more harm than good. See above.
Old 02-21-2013, 13:37   #18
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Oh, and as to "what if's" -

What if my aunt had balls? She'd be my uncle, of course.

I can "what if" all day long. Usually, I try and weigh the likelihood of something being true before getting all worked up about it. Further, if said "what if" is a proposed law, I look at the chances of said proposal being passed before getting worked up. Generally, that's a good way to go - instead of reading webpages that claim to have sources, yet won't post them up.

I'm in college right now (yeah, yeah - almost 37 and in school, I know), and in a wildlife biology program. The biggest concern when writing is to cite sources...seeing no cites for this particular "alarm", I'm forced to dismiss it as yet another way to get hits on a webpage or make money for the author.
Old 02-21-2013, 13:45   #19
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic

I'm a disabled vet and I have not received the letter yet. I do not have PTSD, is it only for Vet's with mental issues?
aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:51   #20
TSAX
USAF Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
I'm a disabled vet and I have not received the letter yet. I do not have PTSD, is it only for Vet's with mental issues?
A buddy of mine who was stationed with me has had PTSD since 06 and has not received such letter.

NRA Member http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg

Last edited by TSAX; 02-21-2013 at 13:54..
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:56   #21
Henry Kane
Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
Oh, and as to "what if's" -

What if my aunt had balls? She'd be my uncle, of course.

I can "what if" all day long. Usually, I try and weigh the likelihood of something being true before getting all worked up about it. Further, if said "what if" is a proposed law, I look at the chances of said proposal being passed before getting worked up. Generally, that's a good way to go - instead of reading webpages that claim to have sources, yet won't post them up.

I'm in college right now (yeah, yeah - almost 37 and in school, I know), and in a wildlife biology program. The biggest concern when writing is to cite sources...seeing no cites for this particular "alarm", I'm forced to dismiss it as yet another way to get hits on a webpage or make money for the author.
Hmmm. Didn't look like anyone got worked up or alarmed to me. At worst, I see some "if it were true it'd be screwed up" comments. Looking at that site, yeah, the story definitely lacks credibility. BTW, I'm your age, also in college (Congrats, good work and stay strong! ), and also subject to the credibility of my sources. You can see that the first thing I did was look up the sources for the RedFlag site and note that they were dodgy. The discussion doesn't strike me as a "chicken little" scenario you see it as, and seems to weigh it with anything from healthy skepticism, to flat-out discredit.

I agree with you that anyone can "what if" all day, but to me, the possibility of the story doesn't seem far fetched. I mean, if I had heard someone "what if" our present state five years ago, I'd be less likely to believe that than I would this story here.

Take care.
Old 02-21-2013, 14:06   #22
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
You wouldn't think that background checks were geared towards vets?
I'd think just the opposite. No bigger problem to a corrupt administration than people who gave their best years and their health to defend the country over seas. Shown they're willing to die, willing to kill for their country. Know the tactics, have the training and experience, in most cases more than any of the police forces out there.

Back to the original point, I haven't gotten one. I don't buy that it's real either.
Old 02-21-2013, 14:22   #23
Ragnar

Very interesting that he not only doesn't present a scanned copy, but there is also no way to comment on the article or contact the author. Very fishy.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 17:19   #24
yellowhand

I'm at 80% and nothing from the VA has arrived at my location, more BS. and as others said, scare tactics.
Still takes a local court to rule on competency, if that ever changes, the whole world would know and the crap would hit the fan for many reasons other than just this one.
Old 02-21-2013, 17:29   #25
coastal4974

If not now, soon. What do you think the universal background check is for?

Tags
skyfall