Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 15:01   #26
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post

If you work for the government, you don't actually pay any taxes.
No, they pay taxes like anyone else. It's just that the govt doesn't get a net profit from our taxes.

Not really the same thing at all.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 15:05   #27
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
No, they pay taxes like anyone else. It's just that the govt doesn't get a net profit from our taxes.

Not really the same thing at all.
When someone says that they "pay their taxes" they typically mean to imply that the money they are paying is helping to fund the activities of the government. The "net" part is typically implied.

However, you're right and I amend my statement: If you work for the government, you don't actually pay any *net* taxes.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 15:12   #28
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
I flew for a living. Mostly instructing airplanes and helicopters and flying helicopters hundreds of miles out over the Gulf of Mexico.

No matter how much we pilots like to say how safe flying is, the fact is you are in a very complicated machine piloted sometimes by pilots that graduated at the bottom of the flight school class, flying sometimes in terrible weather that will easily kill you. (I can't count all the dead pilots I know of)

Usually when a passenger was scared I'd try to comfort them by telling them such as they are safer in the helicopter than in their family car, etc.
But sometimes I wasn't in the mood to hear the "I'm scared" stuff.

Years ago on one such morning at Galveston Texas, at Sunup, I was refueling my helicopter for a couple hundred mile trip off shore. I was tired.

A passenger came up to me and said, "I don't like this s***!

I said, "Just what s*** don't you like?"

He said, "I don't like this flying s***. It scares me".

I said, "Don't worry about it. Being scared just shows good sense. I have over 10,000 hours flying helicopters and this s*** scares me to".

The guy went to his car and drove away.
Old 02-21-2013, 15:30   #29
costanza187
I like Macs

Crop dusting.
Old 02-21-2013, 17:21   #30
texasglong
NRA Life Member

My favorite was when I had a boss that was full of himself(That means he was full of something else). I would make a game of asking a question that did not pertain to our company and see how long he would talk about it. My record was Two and a half hours.

Technically speaking, the bullets go inside the bad guy.
texasglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 17:35   #31
clancy

I work for an agency for people with disabilities. When no one is looking I sometimes let the air out of the tires on the wheelchairs.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 17:41   #32
fireguy129
NRA Member 2008

I took a call from one of our "sales people". I reset his voice mail password to 1+ his extension. I told him "1 plus your extension." I heard the pause, then "I don't have a plus key on my phone." I just put him on hold and went for a coffee.
fireguy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 17:54   #33
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Sounds like you're a great fit for the job of the taxman.

Taxes are a necessary evil, but the fact that you enjoy the job makes you... well I won't call you any names since you'll probably enjoy it.

If you work for the government, you don't actually pay any taxes.
I really do think you are a confused person. You like illegal aliens, and claims because they pay rent they pay property taxes.

Well, he pays taxes every year the same as you. Well, then again, maybe you don't, so perhaps that is why you don't like him.
Old 02-21-2013, 18:00   #34
M&P Shooter
Metal Member

Sadistic Pleasures You Get at Work

Butting in political debates at my work because the whole building is democrat and love Obama. I destroy Obama and the democrats extra special just to bust their chops
Old 02-21-2013, 18:03   #35
jfost11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
I work for an agency for people with disabilities. When no one is looking I sometimes let the air out of the tires on the wheelchairs.

jfost11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 18:12   #36
milje

I mostly crop dust people.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
milje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 18:16   #37
tadbart
duuuuude.

where to begin...? some nights it's good to be an ER nurse.

i drink. A LOT. and yet i never wind up tied to an ER bed drunk, cussing, hollering, spitting, and slinging blood. needles come in many sizes. and i have a whole box of em. go ahead and writhe about in the bed while i'm trying to start an IV. i won't run out of needles.

oh, you won't provide a urine sample? you realize you're Baker Acted and don't have a right to refuse? i'll be back with the urology cart. looky, seems catheters come in all sizes too.

G19
pointy stick
sharp wit
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 18:19   #38
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Narcan.
And Haldol. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 18:31   #39
thejellster05

Send a message via Yahoo to thejellster05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
I take random people off the street and tip them upside down for investment money. This whole "debit card" thing is killing my business.
What do you do? Sorry I don't get it but have enjoyed your posts for years
thejellster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 18:41   #40
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
I really do think you are a confused person.
Not at all.

Quote:
You like illegal aliens
You're the confused one--I have never said that I like illegal aliens. I challenge you to find a place where I said or implied this.

You insist on injecting emotional content into factual posts that I make. I have never expressed an opinion about whether I "like" or "dislike" illegals. I'd argue that makes you the confused one, not I.

Quote:
and claims because they pay rent they pay property taxes.
That's because it's true. It is a factual statement. When someone pays rent to their landlord, if their landlord pays property taxes, well that cost is passed through to the tenant.

Quote:
Well, he pays taxes every year the same as you. Well, then again, maybe you don't
I just did my taxes--last year I paid a bit over 39k in combined federal and state income, Social Security, and Medicare taxes. I don't know what your income is like, but statistically it's quite likely I paid more than you.

More to the point, the taxes I pay (as a privately employed citizen) get used by the government to fund its activities. That's what taxes are for. Private tax dollars go into government bank accounts, and then some of those dollars get paid as salaries to government employees. It's mathematically impossible for those government employees to then pay net taxes, regardless of what the boxes on their paychecks say. If you get paid from tax dollars, you don't pay taxes.

Quote:
so perhaps that is why you don't like him.
The man states that he enjoys using the powers of the government to interfere in the lives of others and make them unhappy. I hope it's fairly obvious why I don't like him.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 18:48   #41
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbart View Post
where to begin...? some nights it's good to be an ER nurse.

oh, you won't provide a urine sample? you realize you're Baker Acted and don't have a right to refuse? i'll be back with the urology cart. looky, seems catheters come in all sizes too.
Ouch!
Old 02-21-2013, 18:55   #42
tadbart
duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Ouch!

"And here's the one we use for black fellas."

"OK man. I'll pee."

works every time.

G19
pointy stick
sharp wit
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 19:16   #43
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I was gonna say just grab the biggest ET tube you can get your hands on.....
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 19:21   #44
Gray_Rider

This is a reason I don't screw with people who I need a service from. They know how to get you back, and they usually don't hesitate to pay you back.

Years ago I owned and operated a business and the city charged me a 1% tax for the privlidge of doing business in their town. For a time I added the 1% to my reciepts making the tax total 7% instead of 6%. Customers complained like I had just taken their child's lunch money, and demanded a refund, even after I explained the city tax situation to them. Soooooo kindly old Uncle Gray dropped the 1% and added about one dollar to each service. Problem solved. The taxes got paid, and the business got a small much needed boost in income. All because people overreacted to a penny extra on the dollar.

Same thing happened with a former part time model who made every effort to cause trouble for me on a particular photoshoot. Sometime later we were to a nice resturant and guess who was our waitress?
I usually tip quite well as I believe service people deserve every dime they can get. This time I made an exception. Had I thought fast enough, I would have left the above mentioned dime. Actually she got exactly ten cents less than that.

Gray_Rider

Last edited by Gray_Rider; 02-21-2013 at 19:34..
Gray_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 19:30   #45
Omologato

Quote:
...some of those dollars get paid as salaries to government employees. It's mathematically impossible for those government employees to then pay net taxes, regardless of what the boxes on their paychecks say.
Having my own business, it is incredibly easy for my boxes to be checked the same as yours, and my paying taxes on my own derived income.

I understand your assumption on net tax, but money I earn is money I earn. It is taxable yet won't be due until 4\15\20xx. Sure it goes into the same pot, but it was still at one point, my money. The government relinquished it to me for my use and I do use it. I then have to pay my earned money to the government. My tax dollars and the tax dollars I collect both go to my paycheck, sure.

Don't pretend the roads you drive on aren't provided by the tax dollars along with the many other services your government provides to you. It's all from the same pot. You earn your money from their support just as much as I do. We both pay taxes, we both do work to earn money. I'm sorry you envy government employees.

Quote:
If you get paid from tax dollars, you don't pay taxes.
Read above again, something might sink again.

Quote:
The man states that he enjoys using the powers of the government to interfere in the lives of others and make them unhappy. I hope it's fairly obvious why I don't like him.
You're right. I enjoy helping people like you, individuals who are employees in the private sector, get their money.

I enjoy sticking it to employers who like to steal YOUR money. Without my job, you would have to sue your employer for your tax money they weren't sending in to the government for you.

Like the previous analogy, if a bank finds a representative of theirs pocketing your money, one of their investigators goes in, takes that money back (in your cloudy eyes, you call this screwing people's lives) and applies it to YOUR account and removes YOUR penalties because HE was a jack*** that stole (embezzled) your money.

I am the equivalent of that investigator. I get your money back. Do you understand that? That's the 3rd time, in the least, that I've said this.

Did I mention withholding tax, not personal income? If so, where's your beef?

A Happy tax filing season to you, I hope the folks like me didn't have to talk to your employer to get your money. If they did, I hope they got it for you from them. If not, have fun in litigation.

Rogue Nation

P.S. Your tax liability is more than I make in a year. Count your blessings and stop harassing people in the service industry. You're welcome for the public service. If you served for this Country, then thank you for yours.

Last edited by Omologato; 02-21-2013 at 20:00..
Omologato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 19:33   #46
DoubleWide

Sadistic pleasure at work - doing what the boss told me to do

Are you sure that's what you want me to do?
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 19:39   #47
Gray_Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P Shooter View Post
Butting in political debates at my work because the whole building is democrat and love Obama. I destroy Obama and the democrats extra special just to bust their chops
Priceless. And. Thank you!

Gray_Rider
Old 02-21-2013, 19:48   #48
Gray_Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omologato View Post
Having my own business, it is incredibly easy for my boxes to be checked the same as yours, and my paying taxes on my own derived income.

I understand your assumption on net tax, but money I earn is money I earn. It is taxable yet won't be due until 4\15\20xx. Sure it goes into the same pot, but it was still at one point, my money. The government relinquished it to me for my use and I do use it. I then have to pay my earned money to the government. My tax dollars and the tax dollars I collect both go to my paycheck, sure.

Don't pretend the roads you drive on aren't provided by the tax dollars along with the many other services your government provides to you. It's all from the same pot. You earn your money from their support just as much as I do. We both pay taxes, we both do work to earn money. I'm sorry you envy government employees.

Read above again, something might sink again.

You're right. I enjoy helping people like you, individuals who are employees in the private sector, get their money.

I enjoy sticking it to employers who like to steal YOUR money. Without my job, you would have to sue your employer for your tax money they weren't sending in to the government for you.

Like the previous analogy, if a bank finds a representative of theirs pocketing your money, one of their investigators goes in, takes that money back (in your cloudy eyes, you call this screwing people's lives) and applies it to YOUR account and removes YOUR penalties because HE was a jack*** that stole (embezzled) your money.

I am the equivalent of that investigator. I get your money back. Do you understand that? That's the 3rd time, in the least, that I've said this.

Did I mention withholding tax, not personal income? If so, where's your beef?

A Happy tax filing season to you, I hope the folks like me didn't have to talk to your employer to get your money. If they did, I hope they got it for you from them. If not, have fun in litigation.

Rogue Nation
There's a chilling little warning to employers stealing their workers'/servants' salaries over in the Bible. It's in James I think, but I'm not sure of the chapter and verse. Will add it to this post as soon as I confirm it.

Gray_Rider
Old 02-21-2013, 19:48   #49
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

As a Paramedic for the past 18 yrs, 12 as a Flight Medic, I've had the guilty pleasure of knowing some of my patients deserve to be patients.
Old 02-21-2013, 19:53   #50
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Narcan.
Had a junkie running around with a Medicalert bracelet saying he was "allergic to narcan." He wasn't and we'd draw straws to see who got to give the iv dose, watch him turn from blue to pink, angry look on his face, rip out the iv and run out the door. Hard to get better entertainment than that!

A truly jaded ER nurse no longer rolls their eyes when a patient says "I have no idea how that got in there!" Vegetables seem to be the most common. Helped a guy deliver a foot long cucumber once.

Last edited by Paul53; 02-21-2013 at 20:00..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote