SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:54   #61
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfect 10 View Post
exactly the reason I bought a Glock 20 10mm IMO it can't be beaten GREAT pistol for most hiking situation We only have black bear here. I love the power & range of my G20
Just checking. You are aware black bears are responsible for the most attacks, statistically speaking?
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 20:48   #62
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Well, you won't regret it.

You can only load 10mm up so far... but it's easy to load .44 mag down.

I wouldn't dismiss a Blackhawk in .45 Colt. With the strength of the frame, you can load 200 grain cowboy loads going 750 fps to 300 grain bullets doing over 1,000 fps. A personal favorite is a 250 grain XTP going 1,200 (and that's leaving some room in the reloading data). Just don't try those loads in a Colt Single Action Army or a clone.

I love that you can load a 10mm so far but you can always down low a 44mag. Same for 45colt and both of the latter would be more suited for a bear that's trying to kill you.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:27   #63
Mountain10mm

Here's a used one for sale locally.

http://cologunmarket.com/firearms/pr...w-29-3-4_i2322
Mountain10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 21:58   #64
Ak.Hiker

Right on CanyonMan,

Even after I got your name wrong,
Trust me he has been called worse.

Since you are looking for a one gun combination for all of your outdoor needs there is no better all round outdoorsman handgun than a 4 inch Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum. Elmer Keith carried the 4 inch and stated that for a belt gun and ease of carry there was no need to go below 4 inches. The key here is a good high quality belt and high quality holster. Carried in a proper holster you won't notice the weight. You also want a rig that you can draw quickly. Check out the Cattleman by Simply Rugged. They also make a great pancake holster that rides the gun up higher and is still easy to draw quickly. Don't even think about carrying hollow points or even softpoints. With the 44 it is hardcast all the way. I would suggest the low recoil 250 grain Buffalo Bore Keith. Double Tap also loads a similar load. No real need to go with the heavyweights in the S&W. For recoil control a good set of grips is important as well. My new favorite is the Pachmayr Grippers. A good 4 inch double action 357 Magnum properly loaded with hardcast would be a step down but still another good all round woods walking handgun. In fact I have found that a hot hardcast 200 grain 357 Magnum will out penetrate those heavy 10mm loads that some folks compare to the 41 Magnum.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 23:10   #65
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak.Hiker View Post
Right on CanyonMan,

Even after I got your name wrong,
Trust me he has been called worse.

Since you are looking for a one gun combination for all of your outdoor needs there is no better all round outdoorsman handgun than a 4 inch Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum. Elmer Keith carried the 4 inch and stated that for a belt gun and ease of carry there was no need to go below 4 inches. The key here is a good high quality belt and high quality holster. Carried in a proper holster you won't notice the weight. You also want a rig that you can draw quickly. Check out the Cattleman by Simply Rugged. They also make a great pancake holster that rides the gun up higher and is still easy to draw quickly. Don't even think about carrying hollow points or even softpoints. With the 44 it is hardcast all the way. I would suggest the low recoil 250 grain Buffalo Bore Keith. Double Tap also loads a similar load. No real need to go with the heavyweights in the S&W. For recoil control a good set of grips is important as well. My new favorite is the Pachmayr Grippers. A good 4 inch double action 357 Magnum properly loaded with hardcast would be a step down but still another good all round woods walking handgun. In fact I have found that a hot hardcast 200 grain 357 Magnum will out penetrate those heavy 10mm loads that some folks compare to the 41 Magnum.
EXCELLENT.
I love it.

BTW a 200 gn .357 has a much higher BC and SD than even a 200 gn 10mm bullet
Old 03-07-2013, 00:17   #66
HollowPoint .45
NRA Member

Well first let me point out that an active shooter situation is vastly different that personaly protection from dangerous animals.

You should also understand that no handgun not even a 500 S&W is going to offer the stopping power of a rifle or shotgun.

So my suggestion to you is to think long and hard about what role you want the handgun to play. Because even as a woods carry, we can go several different directions. Do you want a trail gun for collecting small game for the cookpot. Or do you want a defensive pistol, which has different requirements for 2 and 4 legged predators.

But here are my suggestions:

All holds barred best gun you could carry for both protection and collection of small game while on the trail is a 12 ga shotgun, go for a short barrel pump with a folding stock. Slugs for the 4 legged nasties, 00 buck for the 2 legged kind, and #6 birdshot for squirrels and rabbits.

But you did say a pistol....

Trail gun - Ruger Single-10 .22 LR Why? Same capacity as most semi auto .22 pistols, revolver is more reliable, no magazines to loose or break. Get the 5 1/2 inch model and head shots on small game at 20 yards will be no problem if you practice.

Woods gun (4 legged) - S&W 629 .44 mag. Why? Well they make bigger and they make badder but in all reality a stout 44 load generates more recoil that the avarage shooter can control. Master a 4 inch 629 and you are in alot better shape than the guy with the 454 who can't hit $h*t!

Woods gun (2 legged) - Glock 17. Why? Tough as nails high capacity 9mm. Cheap to practice with and easy to shoot. Like it or not, 9mm has a proven track record of stopping 2 legged threats. Why do you think that every military in the world issues fullsize 9mm sidearms? Look at the G19 if you have small hands and/or want to keep it concealed.

MOLON LABE Come and get them!
HollowPoint .45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:42   #67
noway

All good points, but in reality we end up with a compromised. What's good for the trail, woods, predator,etc.... is far and between.

If you go back to the OP concerns and the dangerous situations he proposed. We could probably rule out a 22 or any variant of such, or any g17 or similar caliber/model/size handguns.

If their's a real concern of death, injury or being eaten, trampled by a moose or whatever, than he/she should select the best and defensive weapon for that purpose.

Also don't be mistaken that in whatever weapon choice you decide on, the proper ammo must be selected.

e.g

a 44mag loaded with FMJ would not be wise for SD against a 1K+ lb moose

Be safe

Old 03-07-2013, 07:45   #68
Bluebearbevis

Thanks again everyone,

The volume of good information I am receiving here knows no bounds. All things considered, I am now looking for a .44 mag. with a 4" barrel made of steel. The S&W 629 "Mountain Gun" is/was? being remanufactured for Cabela's as the "Outfitter" for $899/$849. Looking at the prices online for used guns, baring a great deal from a pawn shop or gun show, I might as well buy new. Problem is, nobody at Cabela's seems to know when they will have more of them.

And what about those shot gun shell type rounds for trail game?

Search continues,
Richard
Bluebearbevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54   #69
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebearbevis View Post
Thanks again everyone,

The volume of good information I am receiving here knows no bounds. All things considered, I am now looking for a .44 mag. with a 4" barrel made of steel. The S&W 629 "Mountain Gun" is/was? being remanufactured for Cabela's as the "Outfitter" for $899/$849. Looking at the prices online for used guns, baring a great deal from a pawn shop or gun show, I might as well buy new. Problem is, nobody at Cabela's seems to know when they will have more of them.

And what about those shot gun shell type rounds for trail game?

Search continues,
Richard
The real problem with the shotshell rounds is that they get a spin from the rifling and tend to throw a donut pattern with a big hole in the middle, and the shot size if fine for snakes up close but that's about it. If I ever get the time I am going to mess with loading some with large shot for slaps and grins.

Of course, since you can use .44 specials it's a nice option and reloaders like me can come up with a lot of loads.

For a non-reloader, look at some of the "mousefart" .44 special Cowboy Action loads.

To tell the truth I have been surprised that no factory has developed some kind of lighter, lower velocity "gallery/small game load, using a (probably) non-lead bullet for the .44 mag.
Old 03-07-2013, 22:23   #70
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
The real problem with the shotshell rounds is that they get a spin from the rifling and tend to throw a donut pattern with a big hole in the middle, and the shot size if fine for snakes up close but that's about it.
Why would you using a rifle barrel with shot? A standard smoothbore barrel should hold a pattern 12-20" @ 25yards.

Quote:
To tell the truth I have been surprised that no factory has developed some kind of lighter, lower velocity "gallery/small game load, using a (probably) non-lead bullet for the .44 mag.
A big bore revoler would not be adequate for small games. Why would a mfg'er load such a load? That what the 410 and 22LR/SR is for.
Old 03-07-2013, 22:49   #71
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Why would you using a rifle barrel with shot? A standard smoothbore barrel should hold a pattern 12-20" @ 25yards.

Hey, Sherlock, did you see the question I was responding to?

"And what about those shot gun shell type rounds for trail game?"

A big bore revoler would not be adequate for small games. Why would a mfg'er load such a load? That what the 410 and 22LR/SR is for.

Did you not notice that the OP has apparently decided on his choice and it wasn't a "410 and 22LR/SR ".?.

I don't know how you hunt but none of the rabbits or squirrels I head shot with a .44 special tasted funny in any way.

And BTW I can tell you, that if need be, a 240 gn .4 cal LSWC will punch right through a rabbit at anywhere from 750 -1,300 fps and you can eat right up to the hole because it doesn't meet hardly any resistance to expand, upset, deform or sidetrack it.

I just think a nonlead bullet of very light cmaterials coud be usefule by limiting range and quite possible be a bit frangible on the first harder-that-a-rabbit surface it hit. might even give a Splatter effect for "barking" a squirrel.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:48   #72
Bluebearbevis

Hey countrygun,

Given I've decided that, thanks to much good advice from this thread and elsewhere, that a DA .44 mag. w/ 4" barrel is the best choice for Wilderness Protection for myself, I'd like to hear more about this reloading business. A good friend has a reloader, I'd just have to get the .44 special die? (I'm asking, not stating.)

I have my rifles and shotgun for hunting various game, but it seems like some of the places I go, armed with the proper load I could shoot Ptarmigan, Rabbit, Squirrel, Antelope, Mule Deer, whatever (almost), with the revolver?

Let's face it, I pray the situation I want the weapon to be able to handle never occurs. 99.999% (hopefully 100%) of the time I'll be enjoying other activities like practice and plinking. Maybe hunting?

Thanks everyone for listening,
Richard
Bluebearbevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:51   #73
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebearbevis View Post
Hey countrygun,

Given I've decided that, thanks to much good advice from this thread and elsewhere, that a DA .44 mag. w/ 4" barrel is the best choice for Wilderness Protection for myself, I'd like to hear more about this reloading business. A good friend has a reloader, I'd just have to get the .44 special die? (I'm asking, not stating.)

I have my rifles and shotgun for hunting various game, but it seems like some of the places I go, armed with the proper load I could shoot Ptarmigan, Rabbit, Squirrel, Antelope, Mule Deer, whatever (almost), with the revolver?

Let's face it, I pray the situation I want the weapon to be able to handle never occurs. 99.999% (hopefully 100%) of the time I'll be enjoying other activities like practice and plinking. Maybe hunting?

Thanks everyone for listening,
Richard
.44 special and . magnum are loaded with the same die set on the same equipment. There is quite a bit about it in the "Reloading" forum here at GT. and in "Caliber Corner" here as well.

In "Big Bore: revolvers, I load for the .41 magnum, .44special/magnum, and .45 colt. IMHO for a lot of reasons factories did not improve those rounds over the predecessors like they should have, with heavier bullets, they just threw more powder behind the previous "standard" weight to get more velocity as a sales point. "Look-- twice the velocity" is easier to sell than "Better sectional density and a higher ballistic coefficient" the latter phrase just doesn't roll of the tongue as well.

The fairly "Stock weights" in the .44 (240-250) and .45 (250)work well enough for 99.9% of most people's uses at just over 1,000 fps up to a bit over 1,200 IMO. If you want "more" a heavier bullet is better idea than more velocity, unless you are shooting at over 100 yds and even then it's debateable.

Use the search feature in "reloading" and 'Caliber corner" and enjoy the debates you find.
Old 05-06-2013, 17:33   #74
gringogigante

Option 1 - bear mace
Option 2 - (a very close second, btw) - 10mm Glock (Glock 20 full size preferable & Glock 29 baby G if you don't want the full size).

You can kill anything in North America with the 10mm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- North Texas CHL HQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

CHL class Dallas, TX
CHL class Plano, TX
gringogigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49   #75
sourdough44

I'll be out in the bush next week. I decided to take my H&K P2000sk in 40 since weight is a factor.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote