Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2013, 19:35   #1
ERASER
Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

Reply from PA State Senator Farnese and my response...

Senator Farnese:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

While your subject-line states that you support gun rights, your statement:

"As a law-abiding gun owner, please know that many of the initiatives before the PA General Assembly including an assault weapons ban, lost and stolen firearms reporting, and other legislation are meant to curb illegal gun use."

leave me with doubts.

It would seem that you are in favor of an "assault weapons ban" and, presumably, the banning of "high-capacity magazines" as a means "to curb illegal gun use". If you recall, this country had an "assault rifle" ban for 10 years. Not even anti-gun advocates cab say that it had a positive effect on the violent crime rate. It didn't work then, it won't work now. All that it will do is make it easy for you legislators to say, "See, we've done SOMETHING." And, of course, when that doesn't work, you'll say: "We just didn't go FAR ENOUGH...we need MORE laws!" Yes, more laws that turn law abiding citizens into criminals and reduce their ability to defend themselves from REAL criminals.

I fail to understand how a law-abiding citizen who happens to own an evil-LOOKING rifle or a STANDARD capacity magazine would NOT become a criminal if the possession of those items are "illegal" or how the banning of so-called "assault weapons" would have any appreciable impact on crime.

As you may be aware, according to the FBI, deaths caused by ALL rifles in 2011 were exceeded by deaths by hammers, clubs, and even fists.

Chicago has VERY tough gun laws.......yet 506 of its citizens were murdered last year.
Connecticut has VERY strict gun laws. Adam Lanza TRIED to purchase a weapon a week before he killed his mother and 26 children and teachers---he was REJECTED. The current laws WORKED. Instead, this CRAZY person COMMITTED CRIMES to acquire those weapons. Criminals, by definition, do NOT obey laws. People, like Lanza, who are CRAZY should be treated as a potential threat to society.

Afterall, if they aren't mentally stable enough to responsibly own a firearm (part of the background check performed when a firearm is purchased involves a check on mental health), why the heck are they walking the streets?? Are they not a danger to society? Why not concentrate on the MENTAL HEALTH aspects? Or is it that we, as a society, would rather prescribe pills for their ills and hope-and-pray that they religiously take these medications and that the medications actually work? Heaven forbid that we hurt their self-esteem/self-worth/ego by labeling them as having a mental disorder. Political-correctness is a dangerous thing at times.

How would an "'assault rifle' ban, lost and stolen firearms reporting" or magazine size have any effect on the deaths in Chicago, Newtown, or anywhere else?

We don't have a "gun-control" problem........we have a "thug-control" problem. Stop blaming the tools and start holding the people who misuse those tools accountable for their actions.

Please keep in mind the negative effects that future legislation will have on the GOOD people of this country and the lack of any effects on the BAD people when you look at proposed legislation.

Passing bad laws that effect good people is bad policy.

Thank you, again, for your time and your consideration,

Very Truly Yours,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:02:41 -0500
To: XXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Re: I Support Gun Rights

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding legislation concerning the ownership and use of firearms, I appreciate your concern. This issue is undoubtedly prominent in today’s discourse, but it concerns my constituents every day and is an issue I have worked on my entire time in office.

As a law-abiding gun owner, please know that many of the initiatives before the PA General Assembly including an assault weapons ban, lost and stolen firearms reporting, and other legislation are meant to curb illegal gun use.

I do agree that addressing gun violence cannot be a solitary approach. I will also continue to support legislation and other means in order to address mental health issues and the enforcement of our current laws in curbing gun violence in our city, Commonwealth and our country. For example, the Senate recently adopted Senate Resolution 6, which I co-sponsored. It was a bipartisan bill that sets up a study of violent crime, including mass shootings and issues of mental health, in PA.

Thank you again for your correspondence on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance with any other state-related matters.

Sincerely,

Larry Farnese

1st Senatorial District

www.senatorfarnese.com

Form submitted on January 22, 2013, via: /contact/email-me [IP 63.251.90.24]
Contact Larry
Subject I Support Gun Rights
First Name
Last Name
Address
Address 2
City
State PENNSYLVANIA (PA)
Zip Code
Email
Phone Number

January 18, 2013

The Honorable Lawrence Farnese
Senate Box 203001
Harrisburg, PA 17120-3001

Dear State Senator Farnese,

I am a law-abiding citizen and responsible gun owner.

I am saddened by the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut, but I believe that efforts to impose new restrictions on me and other lawful and responsible owners like me are misguided. Did you know that violent crime with firearms has declined since the Federal "assault weapons ban" expired in 2004?

Your focus should be on strengthening mental health care and improving the quality of data supporting NICs checks (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). Do NOT pass more gun laws; instead, work to enforce the more than 20,000 gun laws already on the books.

I am your constituent and I vote. Please represent me.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXX