SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:34   #26
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Guess I'll add a picture.

If anyone is interested in what the grip safety does on the XD, here's a little video showing a cutaway close-up. IMO, blocking a sear on something with a light trigger pull is a pretty good thing. Since it has a striker block, pinning down the XD grip safety would be like removing the thumb safety on an 80 series 1911 which I never see anyone do.

General Firearms Forum
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58   #27
Chuck66
Traveling Man

I had a bi-tone XD9 back when they were new to market, and I liked it a lot. Matter of fact, it's the only pistol I've ever sold that I'd like to have back. It was flawless while I had it, and I loved the ergos.
Freemason's Lodge #66

Behold! How swiftly the sands run, and how rapidly our lives are drawing to a close.
Chuck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:11   #28
glocktecher

Point great, shoot good, like metal mags, like standard sights, like grip safety.
glocktecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33   #29
bac1023

I love the entire XD line, but especially the XDms.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40   #30
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple7 View Post
Love the gun overall....kinda hate the trigger.
I don't hate the trigger, but it is definitely lame.
Old 02-21-2013, 13:00   #31
bklynpete
Viet Nam Vet

I love Glocks and 1911's, that being said, the XD's are the best of both worlds FOR ME. I have small hands, and looking at the G21 and G30, they were just too fat in my hand. A friend suggested that I look at the XDm45, and with the adjustable backstraps, it felt really good in my hands. I also had a chance to rent and shoot one, and it shot very well for me. I really don't understand the issue with the grip safeties. I shot IPSC with a 1911, and never heard anyone with a 1911 have a stoppage because their grip safety failed. I now use it for my nightstand weapon. I put on Tru Glo TFO's, and a Streamlight, and that's it. The only issue I have is trying to get a holster for it, it seems no one makes one for a XD with a light. I'm sure it would be easier to find one for a G21 w/light on it. I also bought a XD45C for carrying. Again, the grip is slimmer, the slide is thinner, and it holds 10 rds with a 13rd mag and a sleeve. Really nice setup. On that weapon, I put on TFO's, And a rubberized grip decal. That's it. If you are looking at the G30S and have smaller hands, look at the XD45C. The XDm45C, for some reason has a 9rd mag, but it comes with a 13rd mag with a sleeve on it. I do love my XD's.
bklynpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:13   #32
Jim85IROC

I love the idea of the XDm compact with the extended magazine. When you need the small size, you can use the standard magazine, but for those of us with hands that are as wide as they are long, the extended grip length that comes with the extended magazine is a great addition. If I ever decide to do concealed carry, or when I decide to get a 9mm, I think the XMm9 compact will be my choice.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 13:59   #33
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

I want to like the XD, but the grip safety really turns me off. Its the one thing I don't like about 1911's either.

The only reason grip safeties are on 1911s is because the Army insisted. It wasn't Browings idea IIRC.
Old 02-21-2013, 14:07   #34
deputy tom

I owned an XD9 Service maybe ten years ago and regret trading it off. I bought an XD45 Compact a few months ago and love this gun. They fit my hands much better than any of my Glocks ever did. I'm saving up to buy an XDs. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 14:14   #35
countrygun

We started out with an XDm .45 because my wife liked it and wanted something with a large capacity and bigger than a 9mm or .40 on the nightstand.

We both took to it better than our Glock 22 and it shot far better for both of us.

A couple of months ago she came home with an XDs and a used XD Tactical .40. Both of them are just great and we spend time arguing over which one is who's gun. For striker fired poly guns the triggers are not bad and neither of us are bothered by the grip safety at all. I don't know much about the tacticals or the history of my used one, but it has the nicest trigger. I have shot older SA autos that weren't as nice. It has become easily my favorite, out of 4, platform to shoot the .40 out of.

The XD series is favorite around here
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 16:50   #36
Kalmah
Supreme Member

I have an XD-45 Tactical as my nightstand gun, and an XD-9 Subcompact I use in my CCW inventory. I love them both, and the subcompact is quickly becoming my favorite winter carry piece.

Last edited by Kalmah; 02-21-2013 at 16:50..
Kalmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 17:55   #37
Magus
Deo Vindice

They're very well made handguns. I had a couple very minor gripes with the XDM I owned. Just didn't suit me so I traded it out.

Performance wise, it was excellent. No complaints there.

Can't say much bad about them really.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 18:13   #38
I'M Glockamolie

XdM 4.5 9mm owner here. I'm better with it than a G17 or 19. 100% reliable, and 19rd magazines. It's one of my top go-to handguns. I'm looking to pick up another one or two, probably in .45.
Old 02-21-2013, 20:51   #39
hogship
It's MY Island

If the XD line had been introduced at the same time as the original Glock 17........

.......there would be a lot of people today asking what the heck a Glock is!

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link
www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 21:20   #40
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
If the XD line had been introduced at the same time as the original Glock 17........

.......there would be a lot of people today asking what the heck a Glock is!

ooc
BLASPHEMY, HERASY to say such a thing HERE of all places. I am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!

But I agree
Old 02-21-2013, 21:51   #41
mr00jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
If you do you will hate yourself for years to come.
I figure I might, but any particular reason why?
Old 02-21-2013, 22:25   #42
InsaneGorilla
Hello

Send a message via AIM to InsaneGorilla
Bought my first ever springfield xds and now wondering why I didn't buy one sooner! Traded in my glock 26, 19, and 23 for HKs. I might get an xdm in .45 in a few months.

The xds is more accurate. I just bought a holster from deep concealment. The xds is now my primary conceal pistol. I also carry my hk p2000 under a big jacket.
InsaneGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 22:48   #43
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I like'em a lot better when they were known as the HS2000 and costed half the price.
Old 02-21-2013, 23:16   #44
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Xd's are not for me...
Old 02-22-2013, 10:38   #45
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
I figure I might, but any particular reason why?
Accuracy for one. They are (to me) a far better home-defense pistol. More weight= less recoil plus a great club to smack an intruger over the noggin with. Second, CZ 75 prices are soaring and not just because of the craze of late. The 75C I purchased new two years ago is selling for $150 more used than what I paid for it new then. Tell you what, if you still feel the trade/sell urge PM me with what you may want for your CZ. If I were you, I would wait for this craze to subside, then if I still wanted a XD, I would go lay me one away and keep my CZ. Just about every gun I have sold or traded to get another gun I have regretted. Only a couple lemons I had are the exception. XDs are decent guns; but not worth trading a good gun to get a decent gun.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44   #46
mgs
Always Carrying

Grip safety is not needed and dumb looking feature....jut my two cents.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 14:28   #47
DEADEYEGUY

I bought my 4" model during the dark days of the ban. It has been excellent. Like it so much I bought a 3" model. Same as it's bigger brother. For me their is no reason to go with the XDM. The standard model does everything I need it to.
DEADEYEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 14:36   #48
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADEYEGUY View Post
I bought my 4" model during the dark days of the ban. It has been excellent. Like it so much I bought a 3" model. Same as it's bigger brother. For me their is no reason to go with the XDM. The standard model does everything I need it to.
I thought so too until I got my mitts on the XDm with the small sized backstrap installed. For me it made a world of difference over the stock size.
Old 02-22-2013, 14:44   #49
CBennett

I think they are real nice I like the (m) line even better than the "stock" XD's. I prefer them over Glocks but not over the M&P line. well maybe the XD(S) as M&P has the shield in 9mm but I dont think(i could have missed it) they dont have a slimline .45 like Glock or XD). But if offered id love a XD(m) compact in 9mm or .45 ACP.

oh think I like most about them is the grip safety

Last edited by CBennett; 02-22-2013 at 14:45..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 14:47   #50
L Pete

I bought an XD40 when they were first put out. I wouldn't feed......ball, HPs, anything. The mags were changed, the gun was checked closely, and we couldn't figure out why it wouldn't feed. Traded it, and haven't been back there since.

Don't want another....
L Pete is offline   Reply With Quote