HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Gun-rights group negotiates with lawmakers on background checks

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...dcheckxml.html
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00   #2
Chiefret

Where did these people learn to compromise?

Quote:
Alan Gottlieb, of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, said Tuesday night he has offered to support mandatory background checks for all firearm purchases if state lawmakers agree to end what some see as a de facto database of handgun owners.
I thought a compromise is you get something and I get something. All we're getting is more background checks and the other side is giving up nothing. Next year they will go for more restrictions. What's the compromise then? Okay you can create a firearms database but you can't confiscate.

How about this compromise: You can add mental health records to background checks but you have to agree that any further gun control measures put forward, ever, will be considered a felony with a mandatory 10 year federal prison term.
Chiefret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07   #3
Roering
Sorting nuts

Sounds more like surrendering with conditions.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13   #4
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

You ever notice that whenever there's a pro-gun organization mentioned that's NOT the NRA, it's because that group has agreed to the gun grabber's terms?
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29   #5
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefret View Post
Where did these people learn to compromise?

I thought a compromise is you get something and I get something. All we're getting is more background checks and the other side is giving up nothing. Next year they will go for more restrictions. What's the compromise then? Okay you can create a firearms database but you can't confiscate.

How about this compromise: You can add mental health records to background checks but you have to agree that any further gun control measures put forward, ever, will be considered a felony with a mandatory 10 year federal prison term.
You had the compromise in your Gottlieb quote, Universal Backgroud Check in exchange for elimination of transaction records that would be a form of registration.

I would think this would be better than the alternative that Feinstein, Biden, etc. would come up with which would undoubtably include registration.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51   #6
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Gun grabbers promising to destroy the records after the background check sounds suspiciously like someone promising not to do something in someone else's mouth.

You cannot compromise on your rights. You can only surrender them.
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55   #7
humanguerrilla

It is never enough. Look at NY. After passing the strongest antigun laws and magazine and semi-auto ban they are continuing to go after guns, looking to require a $1-2k/year insurance policy to own a gun or face confiscation.
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:22   #8
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

I don't see how that is a compromise. "Universal background checks" and gun registration are synonymous. Sounds like folding to me.

Have you ever heard "we don't negotiate with terrorists"? I'm about a few thoughts away from classifying liberals as terrorists at this point.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:54   #9
Chiefret

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMan View Post
You had the compromise in your Gottlieb quote, Universal Backgroud Check in exchange for elimination of transaction records that would be a form of registration.
I see what you're saying. I misunderstood that in my first reading of the article. Yes eliminating the current data collection that is going on now is a consolation, albeit a small consolation IMO.

Humangorilla said it: "It is never enough."
Chiefret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43   #10
SunsetMan
Proud Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanguerrilla View Post
It is never enough. Look at NY. After passing the strongest antigun laws and magazine and semi-auto ban they are continuing to go after guns, looking to require a $1-2k/year insurance policy to own a gun or face confiscation.
Believe me, I can relate to "It is never enough." This new round of California legislation is depressing.

I had a discussion with a moderate democrat friend. He didn't understand why we resisted the universal background check. I think most that are on the gun control fence feel similarly. I explained to him that we feared registration, extra fees and inconveniences. He seemed to get it.

I told my friend, Enough! I said we'd given up enough already. Like what?, he said. My friend has a inherited revolver. He is smart and probably representitive of a lot of democrats. They don't think we have given up anything yet (he was talking on the national level). These are the people we need to educate.

If universal background checks are inevitable, I'd rather see us word the legislation.

If we refuse to compromise, we should do a good job of explaining why. The fence sitters don't understand "What part of "Shall not be infringed." don't you understand?" or "From my cold dead hands.". The main steam media has made them immune to these statements.

Last edited by SunsetMan; 02-20-2013 at 13:07..
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote