Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2013, 15:40   #1
OhioGlock90

Remington 700 VS Ruger American ( both in 308)

I have been looking at the Remington 700 in 308 recently as my possible next gun. I don't plan on hunting with it, at least not often, and All I really want it for is to have a rifle with further range. Well today I was at my LGS and was looking at the rem 700 and then noticed the Ruger American for half the price, not on sale. Same length barrel, both had synthetic stocks. So I guess my question is , is the Remington 700 worth double the Ruger? Any one on here have a Ruger American? Any info would e great. Thanks guys!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:51   #2
Will Beararms

Why do you think the price is less for the Ruger?
Old 02-19-2013, 16:08   #3
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGlock90 View Post
I have been looking at the Remington 700 in 308 recently as my possible next gun. I don't plan on hunting with it, at least not often, and All I really want it for is to have a rifle with further range. Well today I was at my LGS and was looking at the rem 700 and then noticed the Ruger American for half the price, not on sale. Same length barrel, both had synthetic stocks. So I guess my question is , is the Remington 700 worth double the Ruger? Any one on here have a Ruger American? Any info would e great. Thanks guys!

The Ruger American was made to compete with Savage and Marlin in the low-priced Bolt gun market. All reports on the Ruger are that it's accurate and well-made. I'd buy it over a newer Remington 700. The late Remington 700s are not near the gun they were years ago. The advantage of the 700 is aftermarket stuff for it. Everyone sells triggers, stocks,ect. for it.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:27   #4
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

As much as I respect the Ruger, the quality, solidly built Remington 700 is still superior.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:38   #5
I Shooter

I had a Ruger bull barreled 26" long. The best I could get out of it was 1.5" at 100 yards.

I picked up a Remington 700 with a sporter 22" barrel and it wold shoot 1" groups with cheap factory stuff.

With hand loads I was able to get just over .5" groups. I will stick with the Remington or Savage. I sold the Ruger.

The Savage that replaced the Ruger will shoot as good as the Remington if not better. It also cost less. If it was me and I was looking to spend less I would get a Savage Hog Hunter.

Last edited by I Shooter; 02-19-2013 at 16:43..
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:45   #6
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
As much as I respect the Ruger, the quality, solidly built Remington 700 is still superior.
It should. It's almost twice the price. You cannot compare Ruger's low-priced gun to Remington's flagship model. Older Rugers from the 80s were sometimes spotty in accuracy. That's no secret. Ruger began hammer-forging their own barrels and they shoot very well. Rugers are hunting guns. They were not made for bench work. If I were looking for a bench gun it would not be a Ruger or a Remington.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:50   #7
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
It should. It's almost twice the price. You cannot compare Ruger's low-priced gun to Remington's flagship model. Older Rugers from the 80s were sometimes spotty in accuracy. That's no secret. Ruger began hammer-forging their own barrels and they shoot very well. Rugers are hunting guns. They were not made for bench work. If I were looking for a bench gun it would not be a Ruger or a Remington.
I have a pre-64 Savage that can kick the ass of most newer "stamped" rifles, but I would not put it up against a pre-64 Remington.

It's all relative. And so are in-laws.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:51   #8
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGlock90 View Post

they just did a test on it in I think in Guns magazine...low cost very accurate. They got theirs in 30-06 they were shooting sub 1 MOA groups at 100 yards trigger is adjustable between 3-6 pounds I think and the got some bedding system that they use thats supposed to be why its so accurate.

I USE my guns...I dont have show guns or guns to "show off" cause they are so nice..if I wanted a nice showy/fancy gun id get the 700 if I wanted something to use and not worry about getting a scratch on it id go with the American.

Ok it was the March 2013 issue(Has the S&W shield on the front cover)

a few highlights from the article:

30-06, Polymer stock with its "power bedding" system supposedly 2 V blocks of stainless steel that when everything is snugged down gives full metal to metal contact to maintain accuracy

Trigger out of box was set at 4 pounds but can be adjusted from 3-5 with a wrench supplied. They say its good enough trigger system to be on a much more expensive rifle

Safety is on the tang(love that feature)

70 degree bolt throw looks like a push feed system

Barrel was hammer forged 22"

They used Hornady 168 grain Garand load for most of the test

first 5 shot(not 3 shot ) group at 100 yards measured .75"

wind picked up during test when moving from 100 to 200 and then 300 but groups stayed under 2"

seems they were shooting from prone with a bipod in the tests

they then started shooting at "gongs" all the way out to 1000 yards but I wont get into that as a lot of that talk was more about doping and windage than the gun its self.

They then ran some hunting loads through it Cor-Bon Hunter 180 grain, Federal 165 grain trophy bonded, and Black Hills 168 BTHP

They said none of those grouped over 1.55" at 100 yards and(as i figured) the Black hills took home the gold star with a 5 shot group of .65" looking like one big hole.

Oh all of this was done with a 3X9 scope..a nice one the Conquest by Zeiss but still just a 3X9 not anything more fancy.

It should come in calibers .308, 30-06, 7mm-08, 22-250, .270 and .243...supposedly .223 also but unconfirmed in article though they said hopefully.

Im thinking of going with the .243 for a Varmint/Woodchuck gun.

Last edited by CBennett; 02-19-2013 at 17:22..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:53   #9
Bigpoppie50

Let me put it this may, I would not take 2 Ruger American rifles for my Rem Model 700 I bought about twenty years ago and it is in mint condition inside and out.
Bigpoppie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 17:02   #10
RonS

In terms of modern American made bolt action .308s with sane prices my order of preference would be:

Winchester Model 70
+Forged action, Mauser extractor, 3 position safety locks the striker, fixed ejector, hammer forged barrel.
-Not cheap.

Savage with fixed magazine
+Accuracy and ease of rebarreling at home, parts and accessories are common.
-Ugly trigger, many small parts in the action and for me unattractive lines.

Ruger Hawkeye
+Mauser extractor and solid, one piece bolt
-Investment cast, some of the Rugers I have seen had an unfinished look to them, 4 round magazines.

Remington 700
+Easy to find parts, barrels, stocks etc.
- Safety design and the design of the extractor and ejector. I also do not like taking down the bolt.

I can't think of too many other than those but I rule out bolt actions with detachable magazines. I am in the minority on that but it is a strongly held prejudice based on my CZ where magazines cost $8.00 per shot for a 5 shot magazine. IMHO for the price of two or three magazines I can upgrade either the rifle or the scope by a good amount.
Old 02-19-2013, 19:34   #11
Walter Bishop

The Ruger American costs around $370. You can buy a Remington 700 ADL with scope for $440. A CDL might cost double but the ADL is inexpensive.
Walter Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 19:47   #12
byf43
NRA Life Member

Don't own a Ruger centerfire, and won't own a Ruger centerfire.

I own one (1) Savage centerfire (.243 Win) and it's a tackdriver.

I own a few Remington 700s, and they are all tackdrivers.

"And that's all I have to say about thay-yut."

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:06   #13
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Remington 700 is a pretty darn broad term.

I'd rather have an old ADL than one of the new SPS'. A 700 Sendero or VLS is a world apart from both, even though it's the same action. I have 2 BDL's and would call them somewhere in the middle.

Apparently, the Ruger can shoot. A Ford Fiesta can get me from point A to point B, but I don't want one of those either.

General Firearms Forum
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:38   #14
CU4X4N
5th of November

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post

Apparently, the Ruger can shoot. A Ford Fiesta can get me from point A to point B, but I don't want one of those either.

General Firearms Forum

I'd sure take this Fiesta though!

General Firearms Forum
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46   #15
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

That ain't a Fiesta. Someone took a Fiesta, jacked up the radiator cap and replaced everything else.

Kinda like the "thousand yard AK" they built on one of those tv gun shop shows.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17   #16
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Remington 700 is a pretty darn broad term.

I'd rather have an old ADL than one of the new SPS'. A 700 Sendero or VLS is a world apart from both, even though it's the same action. I have 2 BDL's and would call them somewhere in the middle.

General Firearms Forum

Daggone, Steve!!!!!
That thing looks like a re-badged Yugo!!!!!

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 20:15   #17
FH Alum

I know folks lament the quality of some modern guns but we are really in the golden age. "Bargain" guns are shooting out of the box what custom guns a generation ago could only dream of. Yeah, the wood or metal may not be as pretty or hand polished but the actual design and function is improved.

Shot one of the American's at the range last month. A father/son team got matching rifles for Christmas. With off the shelf Remington ammo they were making 1 moa groups off sandbags/bench. The triggers were comparable to the Savage Acutrigger with a bit less creep. The rifles had a very nice balance and the actions were smoother than expected. Guys said they picked them up for ~310. The glass on each was more than the rifles. They appeared to be a very good value.

I like my M77 MK II better, but to get a comparable trigger I had to get a Timney installed which puts that rifle almost 3 times the price of the American. This would be hard to justify again with the new budget options available now. As it's a bolt reliability shouldn't be an issue.

My daughter turns 12 in May and likely will get one of these in .243.
Old 02-21-2013, 21:58   #18
slumpmaster
Amateur

I would buy the Ruger, assuming you are looking at new production 700s. I picked up an unfired 700AAC .308 from a buddy trying to fund snowmobile parts. The price was right, bu it isn't up to the quality standards 700s are known for. Fit and finish was sloppier than my old Ruger 77 mark II ( b. 1992. Not a good era for Ruger rifles). I had to take a stone to the cocking piece to get the bolt to open and close without snagging on the tang. Will see how it shoots once the snow melts, but as of now, it is relegated to "brother in law gun" loaner status. I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to field rifles, by the way.

If you are interested in used guns, the older 700s are very nice.

If I were shopping for an economical bolt action, Savage and Ruger would be my picks.
slumpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59   #19
mgs
Always Carrying

I have a 700VS and the Ruger American is not in the same class at all. The stock on the Remington is twice the price alone. The trigger on the Ruger is not even close to a 700. I almost bought the New Ruger Scout Rifle and the trigger was terrible and the magazine was flimsy and cheap....no Pmag or M14 quality. My 700VS is also 26" and runs a 155 Sierra Palma/H380 at 3,000fps with no pressure and sub inch groups at 200M. The Ruger is just not going to do that. Savage Barrels are also superior to past Ruger barrels. Hope the new ones are better.
mgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:11   #20
CU4X4N
5th of November

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs View Post
I have a 700VS and the Ruger American is not in the same class at all. The stock on the Remington is twice the price alone. The trigger on the Ruger is not even close to a 700. I almost bought the New Ruger Scout Rifle and the trigger was terrible and the magazine was flimsy and cheap....no Pmag or M14 quality. My 700VS is also 26" and runs a 155 Sierra Palma/H380 at 3,000fps with no pressure and sub inch groups at 200M. The Ruger is just not going to do that. Savage Barrels are also superior to past Ruger barrels. Hope the new ones are better.

You do realize the OP meant a 700 (he never stated which model) "versus" a Ruger American and not a "700VS" versus a Ruger American?

No, the Ruger doesn't compare to the higher end 700's but for a $300 rifle the Ruger American is a great bang for the buck.

Question for the OP - Which 700 are you looking at?