Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 20:38   #1
Lone Kimono

Snow Boots

I have a few cheap pairs of snow boots, but always seem to wear my work boots to shovel. I'm tired of slipping around and hope you all could give me some suggestions. Does someone make a durable pair of snow boots that will hold up working outside?

Last edited by Lone Kimono; 02-07-2013 at 20:40..
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:01   #2
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
What kind of temps and what kind of uses and how much snow?

I typically wear my sorels when it's really snowy (8+ in) and I'm going to be out for long periods of time.

If its just shoveling, or hiking etc in 2-3 inches, I wear Danners, and merrells

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:03   #3
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Sorels did me just fine through several Alaska winters and are by far the boot of choice up there. They're plenty durable, but not a full on work boot for kicking shovels and the like. (Not that you'd get anywhere trying to kick a shovel into ice.) But they won't fall apart on you.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler

Last edited by Bushflyr; 02-07-2013 at 21:04..
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:18   #4
wdp

I've done the Pac boot thing and they're good but a pain to get on and off till I found Muck Boots. Bought a pair of Artic Pro this year for the hunting season and you can't beat the step in and out neoprene comfort. Wish I had these 20 years ago, warm as toast. There's a few companies making neoprene boots today but I recommend Muck Boots. I even bought a pair of Lawn & Garden slip on shoes for round the back yard chores. Trust me you'll love them.
Old 02-07-2013, 21:27   #5
minnshooter

I have these and they are wonderful. I wear them most of the winter for hunting in extreme cold weather and ice fishing.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat103959180
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

James Madison
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:42   #6
Akita
gone

Sorels.
And they dont have to look like the traditional style. Sorel makes a LOT of diffferent boots.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:23   #7
Lone Kimono

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
What kind of temps and what kind of uses and how much snow?

I typically wear my sorels when it's really snowy (8+ in) and I'm going to be out for long periods of time.

If its just shoveling, or hiking etc in 2-3 inches, I wear Danners, and merrells
This year I've mostly been getting 3-6 inches every other day with a few larger storms mixed in. Temperatures -5 to 32 for the past month or so. The constant snow mixed with low temperatures has been making it really slippery.
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:24   #8
NecoDude

If you like your boots you might try cleats:

Several styles and they work pretty well.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33   #9
SFCSMITH(RET)

I have 12" insulated/goretex Danners the Army issued me in '94. Still love them for everything except late season stand hunting (Jan-Feb archery) then I use a slip pn "over boot" in the stand.. Above 35 degrees or so they are to warm.. but below For everyday wear in the winter, I have been wearing Merrels for years.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:28   #10
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdp View Post
I've done the Pac boot thing and they're good but a pain to get on and off till I found Muck Boots. Bought a pair of Artic Pro this year for the hunting season and you can't beat the step in and out neoprene comfort. Wish I had these 20 years ago, warm as toast. There's a few companies making neoprene boots today but I recommend Muck Boots. I even bought a pair of Lawn & Garden slip on shoes for round the back yard chores. Trust me you'll love them.
Listen to this ^^^^ person. Also don't rule out insulated Xtra Tuffs. The gummy sole gives good traction on ice. Try to find American made ones. Love my Muck Arctic Pro's for riding the snow scoot back into the wilderness.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32   #11
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

On glare ice, I wear a pair of insulated rubber logger boots with the replaceable caulks (spikes) You can find them in the chain saw catalogs such as 'Baileys".
Old 02-08-2013, 17:08   #12
pugman

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/perf.../winter/boots/

I can't really say how the new ones wear since I've had my original set of Icemans since 1981. The only real "problem" with them is the eyelets have rusted a little.

I can't even tell you the last time I water proofed them but they are very warm and dry.

My single complaint is the weight. Boot technology has come a long way in 30+ years and I can't imagine the newer Icemans are as heavy as mine.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15   #13
Jim85IROC

I wear my Klim snowmobile boots when dealing with snow chores like shoveling and snowblowing. They're warm, dry, comfortable and very supportive due to the stiff sidewalls.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 13:08   #14
rppnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Kimono View Post
I have a few cheap pairs of snow boots, but always seem to wear my work boots to shovel. I'm tired of slipping around and hope you all could give me some suggestions. Does someone make a durable pair of snow boots that will hold up working outside?
'Kamik Men's Workday 3 Cold Weather Boots' available on Amazon. They are non-slip, fully insulated, have a steel toe and can be tightened around your calf so no snow gets in...I have them...they're great!

'Integrity is who you are and what you do when no one is watching.'
-rppnj
rppnj is offline   Reply With Quote