GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:18   #1
Aceman

Fill out this battery; What is needed here?

1 AK-47

1 12g Mossberg 500 HD
1 12g Mossberg 535 22"/28"

1 .22 S&W M&P 15-22
1 .22 Henry Survival

1 9mm Browning HP
1 9mm HK USP
1 .45 Springfield XD

What would you round out this set with? Please prioritize the top three guns you would add, and why.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05   #2
SFCSMITH(RET)

How many people are you arming?

What is the terrain in your AO?

Bug in plan? or out?

How much ammo do you have now?

Do you "like guns" or are they "tools"?

What is your time frame for acquisition?

I would add another AK for redundancy, based on what you listed. I would drop the nines or the .45, IF your plan is based on only having what you need for a SHTF event. Use the $$ for the second AK and a second .45 if you drop the nines.

In my AO a long range/hard hitting rifle is handy, I have several. Those that I plan to use in SHTF, I have multiples. M1A, Garand, etc.

I don't believe in spare parts. I believe in spare weapons.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59   #3
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Bolt gun.

AK/SKS.'08.b

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09   #4
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Good bolt gun, something like .308, open sights.
Old 02-13-2013, 13:19   #5
blk69stang

Ditch the M&P 15 .22 and buy a Ruger 10/22 with the money. Get a bunch of butler creek "steel lips" 25 round mags, and a butler creek mag loader (it's awesome... dump in loose 22 ammo, shake it, turn the crank, and you have a loaded 25 round mag in less than 30 seconds). Replace the extractor in the 10/22 (a known weak point) with a Volquartsen extractor (best in the biz), add an extended/tactical type magazine release, and possibly a modified bolt hold-open. Put an inexpensive 3-9x zoom scope on see-thru rings on it, and add a sling. If you need volume of fire, get a BMF activator (a "crank fire" gatling-style trigger assembly). Reasoning: 10/22 is way more common than the M&P (for parts and mags), way less expensive, plenty accurate, and plenty customizable without gunsmithing tools/ability. Also lighter and less bulky. IMHO there's no need to tote around a 223 sized rifle and 223 sized mags if it's firing anything less than 223. Why carry all the bulk when you don't need it? Plus, the wood stock, lack of pistol grip, and the "deer scope" will put the idiots at ease (by making them fail to realize you are toting a package that is just as, if not more deadly than the "scary" M&P .22), thus making you "stand out" less and be a bit more of a "gray man". You should be able to get this setup done for about $300 total if you shop around and/or buy used. Reason: there shoul be a law that every household own a 10/22. They just plain WORK, and they are cheap enough that there is no excuse not to have one.

A good quality .357 magnum revolver, 4-6" barrel. Stainless preferred. A nice Smith & Wesson would fit the bill. Same reasons as above, plus ammo availability and versatility. Shoot 38spl or 357mag out of the same gun. Could *possibly* take medium game up to white tail size if needed AND using hot 357 hunting loads.

A good bolt or gas gun in 308 or 30-06 with a quality scope. Right now everything in your arsenal is limited in range. If you ever need to make a 500+ yard shot, you have nothing listed that will do it. My current piece that fits the bill is a Norinco M-14 clone with a QUALITY scope mount. Not *quite* as accurate as a good bolt gun, but does good enough. AND it can fill in for my AK if needed. Kinda a double-duty setup. Mine is a "standard" length barrel, but it's pretty long. A shorter barrel would be nice, but IMHO the SOCOM 16 is too short; it loses too much potential from the 308 cartridge PLUS it takes a specialized "proprietary" gas system to function at such a short length. I would go for the "Scout Squad" model with the 18" barrel (or 20" would work too if they even make one). This is long enough to get decent velocity out of the 308 AND also still use a standard USGI gas system and op-rod. Only thing different is the barrel, so parts availability would not be as much of an issue. Same as the 10/22, it looks less scary (especially with flush-fit mags) and will arouse less suspicion from the ignorant... it looks more "Fudd" and less "Rambo" than an AR-10 or Dragunov clone, but is every bit as deadly. Another option for this category would be the M1 Garand. Hard hitting, long range, reliable, common, and not "scary looking". Available from the CMP (www.odcmp.org), ships to your door without needing to go through an FFL, and you can get started in one for the current price of $525 for a field grade piece (Which is still a steal for a full-power Main Battle Rifle).

I'd also get rid of probably the Hi-Power, as I don't see the need for more than one 9mm pistol. The HP is a great collector piece, but I think there are so many more "practical" 9mms out there to choose from. Instead, I'd reccommend a good .22 revolver. I have an NAA .22 mag mini-revolver and love it (it carries so easy I forget it's there... it gives you ZERO excuse to ever be unarmed). A nice smith or ruger single- or double-action revolver would also fit the bill. Any of the quality .22 semi-autos would also work fine. Reason: handy toter for dispatching snakes, close range varmints, and taking small game. Very quiet with the right ammo (some of the Aguila stuff is down in the BB gun volume range). Snake-shot loads available. If you MUST have two 9mm pistols, I'd make one a Gen 2 or 3 Glock 17 or 19... reliable, less prone to rust / dirt, higher mag capacity, much more common, less expensive, less likely to make you cry if you damage it.

If you're going minimalist, I also don't see the need for two 12ga pumps. I'd get rid of the 535 and put the cash toward a Saiga 12 with an 18" barrel, pistol-grip conversion, and some hi-cap mags/drums. Add a Slide Fire Solutions stock, and you have a man-portable artillery piece.

Or instead of swapping your stuff for these suggestions, you could keep what you have and just buy these "in addition to" what you already have and REALLY have some options.

Last edited by blk69stang; 02-13-2013 at 13:31..
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 13:21   #6
carbuncle
is not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
Good bolt gun, something like .308, open sights.
Yup, this is the first thing I thought. Otherwise, looks good!
Old 02-13-2013, 14:16   #7
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

What's the list for? Without that, it's impossible to do more than generalize your collection.

You are lacking a good distance rifle and a good revolver.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 14:23   #8
quake

My first thought is to reiterate this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post

Bug in plan? or out?

As a lot depends on your specific situation.

That said, it looks like you've got shotguns for two, .22's for two, CF pistols for three, but only carbines for one. I'm a carbine guy at heart and I'd add another in that category. Even though I personally prefer ar's, I'd probably go with another ak to start, since it would simplify parts, ammo, mags, training, etc.

After that, I'd really want a concealment-oriented handgun; likely a very small 9mm since you're already heavy into that caliber, or else even a micro .380 or such.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 14:45   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

Looks like you need a rifle - you have one, relatively small caliber and usually inaccurate rifle in the whole bunch. If you are only going to own one rifle, that's not the one.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 15:15   #10
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
1 AK-47

1 12g Mossberg 500 HD

1 .22 S&W M&P 15-22
1 .22 Henry Survival

1 9mm Browning HP
1 9mm HK USP
1 .45 Springfield XD

What would you round out this set with? Please prioritize the top three guns you would add, and why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post

Bug in plan? or out?

I would add another AK for redundancy, based on what you listed. I would drop the nines or the .45, IF your plan is based on only having what you need for a SHTF event. Use the $$ for the second AK and a second .45 if you drop the nines.

In my AO a long range/hard hitting rifle is handy, I have several. Those that I plan to use in SHTF, I have multiples. M1A, Garand, etc.

I don't believe in spare parts. I believe in spare weapons.
As SFCSMITH(RET) said we need more information.

If you are planning for multiples guns of the same caliber then get the same gun.

More info ...
Old 02-13-2013, 17:15   #11
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
1 AK-47

1 12g Mossberg 500 HD

1 .22 S&W M&P 15-22
1 .22 Henry Survival

1 9mm Browning HP
1 9mm HK USP
1 .45 Springfield XD

Many good previous comments....

Personally....I would like commonality on your sidearms & magazines.

As far as the rest....really depends on you & your situation.

There is no "one size fits all"!

I would consider fast/low light optics for the AK & the M&P.

Here are some of the directions me & mine have gone..

..it may give you some ideas!

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpr...hp?f=32&t=3298

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpr...hp?f=32&t=3370

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpr...php?f=32&t=700

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpr...php?f=32&t=813

And for the fodder.....

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpr...hp?f=32&t=2153

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 17:53   #12
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
1 AK-47

1 12g Mossberg 500 HD

1 .22 S&W M&P 15-22
1 .22 Henry Survival

1 9mm Browning HP
1 9mm HK USP
1 .45 Springfield XD

As previously noted, a bolt gun would be great. Don't over look mosins, its an effective round, and ammo is cheap (well, used to be anyway...).

I like your pistol choice, but I think it would be a good idea to pick up a 22lr revolver, such as the Ruger SP101.

A Ruger 10/22 would be a good addition here as well, simply because it provides a ton of options and its very reliable.

Look into a 357 mag revolver, or a 38. Most people just shoot 38s anyway, so picking a magnum isn't your only choice here.

Something small would be nice for carry, and back up. NAA mini in 22lr would be a decent choice. Sometimes deep concealment is the best choice. Ruger LCP wouldn't be a bad choice either.
Old 02-13-2013, 17:59   #13
Contact

Send a message via AIM to Contact Send a message via Yahoo to Contact
Quote:
Training.
Contact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 19:33   #14
pistachio

Browning BL .22 or Ruger 10/22
Ruger GP100 4"6"
Remington 870 12ga
Marlin 30-30
pistachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 19:36   #15
Aceman

I would have asked all that too!

Quote:
2 adults, 2 youth

Quote:
Florida bay area; Water, flat, suburban between urban/rural

Quote:
Bug in plan? or out?
Bug in first, bug out if necessary/prudent

Quote:
Lots

Quote:
All guns are tools to be shot, but I like them

Quote:
None specific

Not sure why i listed the Browning. Not really part of my SHTF family...too nice for the Apocalypse, not that I wouldn't use it.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:28   #16
inzone

howdy!

good thread!.....i agree, how many folks are ya arming? I am a huge believer in small groups, and i think a small group is the key to survival, ideally, they will all be well armed , but in the real world we know otherwise, so we have to be leaders and planners and also armorers!....I would add some inexpensive mil surp bolt actions and several sardine cans of surplsu ammo, easy to teach folks to use in a hurry and rugged, almost idiot proof.....
inzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 21:07   #17
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

I'd standardize.

Another AK.

Pick the .22 you like the best, sell the other one and buy a second. Pick the handgun you like best and buy more.

Standardize calibers.

Pick a medium to long distance bolt gun or sub-moa semi-auto and stock that caliber.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 23:22   #18
Stevekozak
Returning video

In general, for 3 guns to add, the first thoughts I had were:

A scoped bolt gun in a magor caliber (ie: .308, 30.06, .270)
A .22 pistol, either a revolver (which I prefer) or something like a Ruger Mark series'
A good 4 inch .357 revolver such as SW 66 or 686.

Now, me personally, I would drop the MP 22 and add a 10-22, maybe the takedown model. If the takedown model, you could maybe drop the Henry survival as well and double up with another 10-22.

Other than that, I think you have a fine start. I am not an AK guy myself, but a good carbine is a good carbine, as long as you are comfortable with it and can shoot it well.
Old 02-14-2013, 23:42   #19
FireForged
Millenium #3936

If this is self defense / *survival hunting, I would select (1) rifle such as a AK or AR and (1) sidearm. Heck with half a dozen differnt cals and weapons... heck with a shotgun if I have a rifle.

*survival hunting as oppsed to practical hunting under non disaster circumstances.

Last edited by FireForged; 02-14-2013 at 23:43..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:20   #20
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
if hunting for food, is a realistic use (dunno, never been outside the florida airport) A scoped bolt 308 would be a good addition. As you lack a "game getter" and it could also double as a rifle giving you the ability to make hits outside the effective range of your AK.

If not, a second AK would probably be a good choice. Being your primary long arm, its also most likely to be lost/damage/stolen/misplaced. So having a spare could end up being handy.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote