PA: Three county legislators back bill that would make it easier to CCW

http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...ed-weapon.html
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:45   #2
g23rob

finally a sensible gun law
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01   #3
md2lgyk

I thought PA was shall-issue, but I guess it's not? It's already pretty easy to get a permit there - I applied for my PA non-rez online, and it came in the mail. I've since renewed it twice through the mail.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14   #4
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I thought PA was shall-issue, but I guess it's not? It's already pretty easy to get a permit there - I applied for my PA non-rez online, and it came in the mail. I've since renewed it twice through the mail.
PA and AL are permissive May Issue states. They generally act Shall Issue but there is a character statement requirement in each of the laws that is completely subjective.

Philly abuses that character determination and refuses to issue for traffic fines and whatnot.

Biggest argument against trying to get the character statement taken out is the legislators might push for more restrictions on where someone can carry in order to pass it. It's just been less painful to live with permissive may issue and grumble at Philly so far.

I hope they just take the one line out of the law and eliminate the subjective character stuff.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:20   #5
SCmasterblaster

Those three guys would get my vote.
Old 02-15-2013, 14:24   #6
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Love the comment from the local gun control group:

"We respect the Second Amendment," she said. "But to say this is an inalienable right is just an effort to subvert the local authorities and the attorney general."

That thar 2A is "icky" and uncomfortable ain't it?

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-15-2013 at 14:24..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51   #7
jthrelf

Hmm. My county sheriff didn't ask for a character statement and there was no interview. Then again my record is 100% perfect.
jthrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:21   #8
Toetag
Wannabe

How would a Cop on the street know whether or not that the gun that he found in your possession is/was yours?

Doesn't this get us started down the road to registration?

I hope to be wrong on this.........

Last edited by Toetag; 02-16-2013 at 10:23..
Toetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16   #9
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toetag View Post
How would a Cop on the street know whether or not that the gun that he found in your possession is/was yours?
Irrelevant. I would agree with the cop checking the serial number against NCIC to see if the gun was reported stolen, though.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:17   #10
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
Hmm. My county sheriff didn't ask for a character statement and there was no interview. Then again my record is 100% perfect.
Move to Philadelphia and see if that's the case.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:48   #11
Toetag
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
Irrelevant. I would agree with the cop checking the serial number against NCIC to see if the gun was reported stolen, though.
Beg to differ....How would you prove that you're the rightful owner of the firearm in question?
Old 02-16-2013, 13:43   #12
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Beg to differ....How would you prove that you're the rightful owner of the firearm in question?
Perhaps I'm missing something. That is a completely irrelevant question. Not only irrelevant but there is no way to answer it right now.

I move into PA with pistols and go get a CCW. How would I "prove" I'm the owner? Not my problem. It's up the the police to prove I'm not if they believe it so.

Besides, there is no registration in PA

Quote:
18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4: Registration of firearms Notwithstanding any section of this chapter to the contrary, nothing in this chapter shall be construed to allow any government or law enforcement agency or any agent thereof to create, maintain or operate any registry of firearm ownership within this Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section only, the term "firearm" shall include any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
So, I'll ask you the same question. Right now, today, how do you prove you're the owner? You don't. You don't have to. There is no requirement to do so, either.
Old 02-16-2013, 13:46   #13
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
You do know that in 40+ states face to face purchases are perfectly legal without any paperwork at all, right?

You also do know if someone moves to PA, not a single one of their firearms is in the PA system, right?

Hell, MD is a serious anti state and getting worse and even there if you move into the state there is no record of your firearms, there is no registration nor is there any way for the police to have any idea you have them.

If the police believe you to not be the owner, it's up to them to prove it, NOT up to you to prove you are.
Old 02-16-2013, 13:53   #14
Steve in PA

Quote:
Firearms have been illegally seized by police because the "data base" search either came back with no record or the name on the transfer was not the name of the individual stopped.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 14:25   #15
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
Firearms have been illegally seized by police because the "data base" search either came back with no record or the name on the transfer was not the name of the individual stopped.
Hmm. That reminds me of TBO's thread of a "lost" gun found in the John.

So maybe having a PDF scan of the papers for your carry gun saved on your phone would be a good idea.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 19:38   #16
jdpst20

It's been 27 business days since I've applied for my permit in Pittsburgh, Allegheny county. IDK what is taking this long unless they are just massively swamped by applicants. Been like 37 total days. I submitted my app by email. I didn't get any initial response saying they received it or it was being processed. Is there a way to call or stop by the office and see when the heck my app will be done? I Def have clean record too.
jdpst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 21:07   #17
Lee-online
Mul-ti-pass

The Constitutional Carry bill HB 2176 died in committee last year. It had 23 sponsors at that time and we are trying to get more this year.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...r=2176&pn=3292

PA has a pretty good permit process if it not abused. Most sheriffs issue on the spot, no wait, no training, no fingerprints and only $20 for 5 years. Alot of other states could follow this and not have any ill effects.

—Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Lee-online; 02-22-2013 at 21:08..
Lee-online is offline   Reply With Quote