Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 17:29   #281
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
So, you are okay with the Westobro Baptists protesting soldier funerals then. Afterall, they are just making a politcal statement, right?
Actually, I am.

While their message sickens me, and I believe they are cowards and scumbags, I respect their 1st Amendment right. Just like I am supposed to respect everyone's 1st Amendment right.

It's not my place to agree with what a person says. It's my place to protect their right to say it.

It's called protecting and upholding the Constitution. We are even expected to do it for scumbags.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
Old 02-20-2013, 17:43   #282
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSNYPR View Post
That's a pretty big jump. Like saying that gun owners think children should die. It's a stupid comment you can't back up, and makes you look like an idiot.
They are saying they just want to disarm LEO's because they want to "make a political statement". So, for the folks that put their lives on the line everyday, and saying to them, we don't think you should have the tools you need to survive or do your job. I think it is pretty damn equivalent actually.

They are essetnially saying, "We hope you die."

Which, I don't see the difference between the concept of, "We're glad you're dead."
Old 02-20-2013, 17:58   #283
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
clancy, where did this happen?

What led up to the fight?

Was it right for them to not intervene? Not in my opinion.

Give us more about the incident, please.
I was working a a bartender in Liberty, NY, around '92 or '93. I had just started my shift one Monday night. I looked outside and saw 2 guys beating up on the doorman. I went outside, those 2 guys had 6 other guys in 2 cars who all got out when I walked out. I said to one guy that I wasn't looking for a fight and I just wanted to bring my coworker inide before he got hurt. I was told, "we aren't going to let you". And they didn't. I kept looking over my shoulder, hoping for someone, anyone, to come help us. I heard a siren, looked over my shoulder, and saw a Liberty PD car pull up. About then I got hit, hit the guy back, turned around again and the cop car backed up, turned around and then left us. About a minute later a single NYS Trooper pulled up, pulled out his nightstick and just waded in.

We went to the ER, got stitched up and patched up, and went to the PD. The sergeant at the desk heard what we had to say and then told us to "get the F!@# out and not waste anymore of my time". We tried to meet with the Police Chief, he refused to do so.

I lost all respect for the local PD after that. I also lost all respect for the bar full of guys who watched from the window of the bar as we got our asses kicked. But I really get ticked off when I hear how cops always "run to the sound of the guns". Most do, but not all.
Old 02-20-2013, 18:00   #284
WarCry

Quote:
They are saying they just want to disarm LEO's because they want to "make a political statement". So, for the folks that put their lives on the line everyday, and saying to them, we don't think you should have the tools you need to survive or do your job. I think it is pretty damn equivalent actually.

Which, I don't see the difference between the concept of, "We're glad you're dead."
The problem with your concept is that they're NOT saying "we want to disarm LEOs". I've not heard or seen one single company make a statement like that.

What they said is they don't want to do business with government agencies that are restricting the rights of citizens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this IS still a country where private companies can make their own business decisions, correct? How, pray tell, is this any different than a business in TX putting up a 30.06 "No Firearms" sign? And how is it any different than a consumer deciding "I'm not doing business with that company because they restrict my rights!"?

This is a business decision. Yes, it's crappy that LEOs are getting caught up in it. But NO ONE has said they want LEOs to not have the tools they need to do their job. And they are CERTAINLY not saying "I hope you die" or "We're glad you're dead!" You're turning it into something it very much is NOT and you're trying to make it more of an "Us vs Them" case, which it is not.

However, if I'm wrong and you can find a source for a quote even remotely like that, I'll be glad to rethink my position.

Last edited by WarCry; 02-20-2013 at 18:03..
Old 02-20-2013, 18:02   #285
countrygun

Quote:

They aren't "Disarming the cops" anymore than the politicians are disarming the citizens

Are you confessing that you are helpless without high capacity mag? Really? That does not speak well for your confidence level.
Old 02-20-2013, 18:11   #286
Pwhfirefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1975 View Post
"What are the reasons behind the difference in 1st, 2nd and 4th Amendment Rights. Explain them one at a time, please."

Our 1st Amendment right is limited in order to maintain discipline and not foster insubordination. Speaking out against your leadership can be punished by up to 9 months confinement.

The 2nd Amendment right doesn't exist if you live in the barracks. All firearms must be registered within 72 hours of being bought, or after moving to post and they must be stored in the unit's arms room. If you live on post housing, you may keep your firearms, but they still must be registered. If you live off post (thanks to that A-hole in FT Hood), your weapons still need to be registered on post and your command may come to your home to inspect them.

The 4th Amendment right does not exist on post. The Commander can direct searches of your vehicle, barracks or quarters at any time without a warrant, this includes having the dogs go through your living area. The command may conduct a "health and welfare" check of your residence off post as well.
I will just ad to what you said as far as the 4th goes, driving your vehicle onto a military post is giving consent to search your vehicle. Every base I have been to has a sign posting that you are "subject to search".

But, as far as your living quarters go, as an AF First Sergeant, I can INSPECT dormatories and barracks for health and safety, at the direction of the commander.. Anything in plain view is subject to be used as evidence if someone leaves something laying out. I CANNOT SEARCH, as in going through closets and drawers or personal items, that requires probable cause, and that involves direct involvement from the commander or JAG. Dogs can be used as they are on the civilian side as from what I understand, a "hit" or indication(whatever the term is when dog alerts) gives probable cause (LEOs correct me if I am wrong).

That is my understanding if I am remembering correctly and understanding the UCMJ Rule 312-316

Last edited by Pwhfirefighter; 02-20-2013 at 18:59..
Old 02-20-2013, 18:21   #287
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

Quote:
Horse ****. They are saying "we're not going to sell our products to you because of the political climate in your AO." You're making the other leap in your head.
Old 02-20-2013, 18:22   #288
dhoomonyou

Quote:
The police should not have access to weapons that are forbidden from the citizens. The police are civilians too and as such, any restriction for nonuniformed civilians should apply across the board. The politicians see the police as their personal army and often outfit them as such. The only reason I can think of why, is that they want the police to serve as a deterent against the citizens should the people finally decide that enough is enough.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I agree.
Btw
I predict this thread will end soon.
Smith & Wesson Club # 711
Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
Old 02-20-2013, 18:32   #289
rockapede

Quote:
The police should not have access to weapons that are forbidden from the citizens. The police are civilians too and as such, any restriction for nonuniformed civilians should apply across the board. The politicians see the police as their personal army and often outfit them as such. The only reason I can think of why, is that they want the police to serve as a deterent against the citizens should the people finally decide that enough is enough.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Seems to me the most logical choice for my "personal army" were I a federal politician would be the, um, Army? Therefore, applying your reasoning, it is a dangerous usurpation of power for the .mil to be armed beyond "ordinary" citizens.

For the record, though a LEO, I don't have a major issue with these companies' "stands".

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 02-20-2013 at 18:38..
Old 02-20-2013, 18:59   #290
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoomonyou View Post
I agree.
Btw
I predict this thread will end soon.

As a moderator I am amazed at the predictions of thread closures. Dhoomony, what is the basis for your prediction?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 02-20-2013, 19:08   #291
Will Beararms

Agreed: Law-abiding pro-gun Non-LEO's need to work with Law-abiding pro-gun LEO's to protect our Second Amendment. Do I get a motion and a second?

I will say it again, the current administration would love nothing more than to see rank and file officers of the law become at odds with law abiding firearms owners. In fact they are working to this end. Furthermore, the current administration would love to see the firearms industry reduced to a shell of its present standing that they would more closely control nay own.

Let's keep the baby when it comes time to change the bath water. The lack of integrity and leadership coupled with the blatant, biased political activism among the top brass Police and Military personnel is frightening these days. My prayers go out to those in the trenches whether they work out of a precinct or a fire base.
Old 02-20-2013, 19:10   #292
owl6roll

Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
I was working a a bartender in Liberty, NY, around '92 or '93. I had just started my shift one Monday night. I looked outside and saw 2 guys beating up on the doorman. I went outside, those 2 guys had 6 other guys in 2 cars who all got out when I walked out. I said to one guy that I wasn't looking for a fight and I just wanted to bring my coworker inide before he got hurt. I was told, "we aren't going to let you". And they didn't. I kept looking over my shoulder, hoping for someone, anyone, to come help us. I heard a siren, looked over my shoulder, and saw a Liberty PD car pull up. About then I got hit, hit the guy back, turned around again and the cop car backed up, turned around and then left us. About a minute later a single NYS Trooper pulled up, pulled out his nightstick and just waded in.

We went to the ER, got stitched up and patched up, and went to the PD. The sergeant at the desk heard what we had to say and then told us to "get the F!@# out and not waste anymore of my time". We tried to meet with the Police Chief, he refused to do so.

I lost all respect for the local PD after that. I also lost all respect for the bar full of guys who watched from the window of the bar as we got our asses kicked. But I really get ticked off when I hear how cops always "run to the sound of the guns". Most do, but not all.
Some guys are just scared.
Old 02-20-2013, 20:04   #293
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
I read a headline that several firearm/accessory manufacturers (Olympic arms and larue included) were supposedly refusing to sell to cops in states where politicians are passing stricter gun laws.

Is this true?

Why the hell are they punishing the cops who have nothing to do with these political games?
NONE of them have "refused to sell to cops". They have simply said that the State's law will be followed...uniformly. Heck, NY "screwed the cops" right of the git-go by writing the new law in such a way as for it to apply to everyone, including LEOs. I personally think that if the Police were to stand unified and tell the politicians that very reasons that make these firearms so exceedingly beneficial to the LEO, also make them beneficial to the responsible law abiding gun owner...the politicians would have a dang hard time passing any gun control measures. Many LEO's have done this...many more need to.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 02-20-2013 at 20:04..
Old 02-20-2013, 20:13   #294
Burns

Send a message via AIM to Burns Send a message via Yahoo to Burns
Quote:

You might feel like that is a logical sequence. It isn't.
"Liberals believe government should take people's earnings to give to poor people. Conservatives disagree. They think government should confiscate people's earnings and give them to farmers and insolvent banks. -- Walter Williams
Old 02-20-2013, 20:16   #295
Burns

Send a message via AIM to Burns Send a message via Yahoo to Burns
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSNYPR View Post
Horse ****. They are saying "we're not going to sell our products to you because of the political climate in your AO." You're making the other leap in your head.
Exactly.
"Liberals believe government should take people's earnings to give to poor people. Conservatives disagree. They think government should confiscate people's earnings and give them to farmers and insolvent banks. -- Walter Williams
Old 02-20-2013, 20:19   #296
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southswede View Post
Of course I don't!! How would I possibly answer an unasked question?
I asked you failed again..
Old 02-20-2013, 20:35   #297
Gryff

Send a message via AIM to Gryff
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
Heck, NY "screwed the cops" right of the git-go by writing the new law in such a way as for it to apply to everyone, including LEOs.
That's because New York cops (at least NYPD) are a bigger threat to citizens than psychotic shooters.

Last edited by Gryff; 02-20-2013 at 21:34.. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2013, 20:37   #298
Roering
Sorting nuts

A popular argument for having the same weapons is that the average citizen faces the same dangers of the criminal element that LEO's do.

Although maybe true in occurrence, it is certainly not in frequency. So yes, you can make a case for having weapons that the average citizen does not.

However, the civilian market is exponentially larger than the market for LEA's and they know where their bread is buttered. The general populace of gun owners do not believe that their should be exceptions to the law when it comes to any of our rights. Companies who would like the support of such people react accordingly.

I can understand your sentiment King, but it is the politicians doing the screwing here. Firearm companies are just reacting as they see fit.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Old 02-20-2013, 20:39   #299
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
I asked you failed again..
Seems reality is different in your world. Perhaps you would care to ask a question. As of yet, you have not.
Old 02-20-2013, 20:43   #300
Ohio Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
That's because New York cops (at least NYPD) is a bigger threat to citizens than psychotic shooters.

Let me just put my waders on and come on in here...

S*** happens, it's even worse when you have an active shooter in an area with a couple of hundred people. But let's not let that get in the way.

You have ricochet, you have background, you have people who panic and run right between the officers and the shooter. What more can you do?

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."

Closed Thread