GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 17:29   #281
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up
 
txleapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
So, you are okay with the Westobro Baptists protesting soldier funerals then. Afterall, they are just making a politcal statement, right?
Actually, I am.

While their message sickens me, and I believe they are cowards and scumbags, I respect their 1st Amendment right. Just like I am supposed to respect everyone's 1st Amendment right.

It's not my place to agree with what a person says. It's my place to protect their right to say it.

It's called protecting and upholding the Constitution. We are even expected to do it for scumbags.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919


"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 17:43   #282
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSNYPR View Post
That's a pretty big jump. Like saying that gun owners think children should die. It's a stupid comment you can't back up, and makes you look like an idiot.
They are saying they just want to disarm LEO's because they want to "make a political statement". So, for the folks that put their lives on the line everyday, and saying to them, we don't think you should have the tools you need to survive or do your job. I think it is pretty damn equivalent actually.

They are essetnially saying, "We hope you die."

Which, I don't see the difference between the concept of, "We're glad you're dead."
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.
Kingarthurhk is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 17:58   #283
clancy
Senior Member
 
clancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
clancy, where did this happen?

What led up to the fight?

Was it right for them to not intervene? Not in my opinion.

Give us more about the incident, please.
I was working a a bartender in Liberty, NY, around '92 or '93. I had just started my shift one Monday night. I looked outside and saw 2 guys beating up on the doorman. I went outside, those 2 guys had 6 other guys in 2 cars who all got out when I walked out. I said to one guy that I wasn't looking for a fight and I just wanted to bring my coworker inide before he got hurt. I was told, "we aren't going to let you". And they didn't. I kept looking over my shoulder, hoping for someone, anyone, to come help us. I heard a siren, looked over my shoulder, and saw a Liberty PD car pull up. About then I got hit, hit the guy back, turned around again and the cop car backed up, turned around and then left us. About a minute later a single NYS Trooper pulled up, pulled out his nightstick and just waded in.

We went to the ER, got stitched up and patched up, and went to the PD. The sergeant at the desk heard what we had to say and then told us to "get the F!@# out and not waste anymore of my time". We tried to meet with the Police Chief, he refused to do so.

I lost all respect for the local PD after that. I also lost all respect for the bar full of guys who watched from the window of the bar as we got our asses kicked. But I really get ticked off when I hear how cops always "run to the sound of the guns". Most do, but not all.
clancy is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 18:00   #284
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
They are saying they just want to disarm LEO's because they want to "make a political statement". So, for the folks that put their lives on the line everyday, and saying to them, we don't think you should have the tools you need to survive or do your job. I think it is pretty damn equivalent actually.

They are essetnially saying, "We hope you die."

Which, I don't see the difference between the concept of, "We're glad you're dead."
The problem with your concept is that they're NOT saying "we want to disarm LEOs". I've not heard or seen one single company make a statement like that.

What they said is they don't want to do business with government agencies that are restricting the rights of citizens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this IS still a country where private companies can make their own business decisions, correct? How, pray tell, is this any different than a business in TX putting up a 30.06 "No Firearms" sign? And how is it any different than a consumer deciding "I'm not doing business with that company because they restrict my rights!"?

This is a business decision. Yes, it's crappy that LEOs are getting caught up in it. But NO ONE has said they want LEOs to not have the tools they need to do their job. And they are CERTAINLY not saying "I hope you die" or "We're glad you're dead!" You're turning it into something it very much is NOT and you're trying to make it more of an "Us vs Them" case, which it is not.



However, if I'm wrong and you can find a source for a quote even remotely like that, I'll be glad to rethink my position.
__________________
"I'm your priest, your shrink, your main connection to the switchboard of souls. I'm the Magic Man, the Santa Claus of the Subconscious. You say it, you even think it, you can have it." - Lenny Nero

Last edited by WarCry; 02-20-2013 at 18:03..
WarCry is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 18:02   #285
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
They are saying they just want to disarm LEO's because they want to "make a political statement". So, for the folks that put their lives on the line everyday, and saying to them, we don't think you should have the tools you need to survive or do your job. I think it is pretty damn equivalent actually.

They are essetnially saying, "We hope you die."

Which, I don't see the difference between the concept of, "We're glad you're dead."
They aren't "Disarming the cops" anymore than the politicians are disarming the citizens

Are you confessing that you are helpless without high capacity mag? Really? That does not speak well for your confidence level.
countrygun is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 18:11   #286
Pwhfirefighter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1975 View Post
"What are the reasons behind the difference in 1st, 2nd and 4th Amendment Rights. Explain them one at a time, please."

Our 1st Amendment right is limited in order to maintain discipline and not foster insubordination. Speaking out against your leadership can be punished by up to 9 months confinement.

The 2nd Amendment right doesn't exist if you live in the barracks. All firearms must be registered within 72 hours of being bought, or after moving to post and they must be stored in the unit's arms room. If you live on post housing, you may keep your firearms, but they still must be registered. If you live off post (thanks to that A-hole in FT Hood), your weapons still need to be registered on post and your command may come to your home to inspect them.

The 4th Amendment right does not exist on post. The Commander can direct searches of your vehicle, barracks or quarters at any time without a warrant, this includes having the dogs go through your living area. The command may conduct a "health and welfare" check of your residence off post as well.
I will just ad to what you said as far as the 4th goes, driving your vehicle onto a military post is giving consent to search your vehicle. Every base I have been to has a sign posting that you are "subject to search".

But, as far as your living quarters go, as an AF First Sergeant, I can INSPECT dormatories and barracks for health and safety, at the direction of the commander.. Anything in plain view is subject to be used as evidence if someone leaves something laying out. I CANNOT SEARCH, as in going through closets and drawers or personal items, that requires probable cause, and that involves direct involvement from the commander or JAG. Dogs can be used as they are on the civilian side as from what I understand, a "hit" or indication(whatever the term is when dog alerts) gives probable cause (LEOs correct me if I am wrong).

That is my understanding if I am remembering correctly and understanding the UCMJ Rule 312-316

Last edited by Pwhfirefighter; 02-20-2013 at 18:59..
Pwhfirefighter is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 18:21   #287
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.
 
SPDSNYPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 6,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
They are essetnially saying, "We hope you die."
Horse ****. They are saying "we're not going to sell our products to you because of the political climate in your AO." You're making the other leap in your head.
__________________
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only matched by your zest for Kung Fu treachery!" - Black Dynamite
SPDSNYPR is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 18:22   #288
dhoomonyou
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: florida
Posts: 5,137
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1975 View Post
The police should not have access to weapons that are forbidden from the citizens. The police are civilians too and as such, any restriction for nonuniformed civilians should apply across the board. The politicians see the police as their personal army and often outfit them as such. The only reason I can think of why, is that they want the police to serve as a deterent against the citizens should the people finally decide that enough is enough.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I agree.
Btw
I predict this thread will end soon.
__________________
Big Dawg # 1190
40SW # 259
Florida Glockers Club # 711
Smith & Wesson Club # 711
Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
dhoomonyou is online now  
Old 02-20-2013, 18:32   #289
rockapede
Senior Member
 
rockapede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1975 View Post
The police should not have access to weapons that are forbidden from the citizens. The police are civilians too and as such, any restriction for nonuniformed civilians should apply across the board. The politicians see the police as their personal army and often outfit them as such. The only reason I can think of why, is that they want the police to serve as a deterent against the citizens should the people finally decide that enough is enough.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Seems to me the most logical choice for my "personal army" were I a federal politician would be the, um, Army? Therefore, applying your reasoning, it is a dangerous usurpation of power for the .mil to be armed beyond "ordinary" citizens.

For the record, though a LEO, I don't have a major issue with these companies' "stands".
__________________
“Do you like being a cop?"
"I love it, when it doesn't suck, sir.”

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 02-20-2013 at 18:38..
rockapede is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 18:59   #290
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 45,462
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoomonyou View Post
I agree.
Btw
I predict this thread will end soon.

As a moderator I am amazed at the predictions of thread closures. Dhoomony, what is the basis for your prediction?

__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 19:08   #291
Will Beararms
Senior Member
 
Will Beararms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,576
Blog Entries: 1
Agreed: Law-abiding pro-gun Non-LEO's need to work with Law-abiding pro-gun LEO's to protect our Second Amendment. Do I get a motion and a second?

I will say it again, the current administration would love nothing more than to see rank and file officers of the law become at odds with law abiding firearms owners. In fact they are working to this end. Furthermore, the current administration would love to see the firearms industry reduced to a shell of its present standing that they would more closely control nay own.

Let's keep the baby when it comes time to change the bath water. The lack of integrity and leadership coupled with the blatant, biased political activism among the top brass Police and Military personnel is frightening these days. My prayers go out to those in the trenches whether they work out of a precinct or a fire base.
__________________
"Without a rifle you are nothing, worthless, you are waiting for death, any minute, any second." -- Aron Bielski.
Will Beararms is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 19:10   #292
owl6roll
Senior Member
 
owl6roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ALABAMA
Posts: 903
Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
I was working a a bartender in Liberty, NY, around '92 or '93. I had just started my shift one Monday night. I looked outside and saw 2 guys beating up on the doorman. I went outside, those 2 guys had 6 other guys in 2 cars who all got out when I walked out. I said to one guy that I wasn't looking for a fight and I just wanted to bring my coworker inide before he got hurt. I was told, "we aren't going to let you". And they didn't. I kept looking over my shoulder, hoping for someone, anyone, to come help us. I heard a siren, looked over my shoulder, and saw a Liberty PD car pull up. About then I got hit, hit the guy back, turned around again and the cop car backed up, turned around and then left us. About a minute later a single NYS Trooper pulled up, pulled out his nightstick and just waded in.

We went to the ER, got stitched up and patched up, and went to the PD. The sergeant at the desk heard what we had to say and then told us to "get the F!@# out and not waste anymore of my time". We tried to meet with the Police Chief, he refused to do so.

I lost all respect for the local PD after that. I also lost all respect for the bar full of guys who watched from the window of the bar as we got our asses kicked. But I really get ticked off when I hear how cops always "run to the sound of the guns". Most do, but not all.
Some guys are just scared.
__________________
The fight will not be the way you want it to be. The fight will be the way it is. You must be flexible enough to adapt. -- Unknown
owl6roll is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 20:04   #293
dosei
Senior Member
 
dosei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 4,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
I read a headline that several firearm/accessory manufacturers (Olympic arms and larue included) were supposedly refusing to sell to cops in states where politicians are passing stricter gun laws.

Is this true?

Why the hell are they punishing the cops who have nothing to do with these political games?
NONE of them have "refused to sell to cops". They have simply said that the State's law will be followed...uniformly. Heck, NY "screwed the cops" right of the git-go by writing the new law in such a way as for it to apply to everyone, including LEOs. I personally think that if the Police were to stand unified and tell the politicians that very reasons that make these firearms so exceedingly beneficial to the LEO, also make them beneficial to the responsible law abiding gun owner...the politicians would have a dang hard time passing any gun control measures. Many LEO's have done this...many more need to.
__________________
Big Dawg No. 1431
Carolina Glocker No. 1431
"Freedom is a system based on courage" (Charles Peguy)
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 02-20-2013 at 20:04..
dosei is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 20:13   #294
Burns
Senior Member
 
Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via AIM to Burns Send a message via Yahoo to Burns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
They are saying they just want to disarm LEO's because they want to "make a political statement". So, for the folks that put their lives on the line everyday, and saying to them, we don't think you should have the tools you need to survive or do your job. I think it is pretty damn equivalent actually.

They are essetnially saying, "We hope you die."

Which, I don't see the difference between the concept of, "We're glad you're dead."
You might feel like that is a logical sequence. It isn't.
__________________
"Liberals believe government should take people's earnings to give to poor people. Conservatives disagree. They think government should confiscate people's earnings and give them to farmers and insolvent banks. -- Walter Williams
Burns is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 20:16   #295
Burns
Senior Member
 
Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,113
Send a message via AIM to Burns Send a message via Yahoo to Burns
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSNYPR View Post
Horse ****. They are saying "we're not going to sell our products to you because of the political climate in your AO." You're making the other leap in your head.
Exactly.
__________________
"Liberals believe government should take people's earnings to give to poor people. Conservatives disagree. They think government should confiscate people's earnings and give them to farmers and insolvent banks. -- Walter Williams
Burns is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 20:19   #296
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus
 
Mayhem like Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,620
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southswede View Post
Of course I don't!! How would I possibly answer an unasked question?
I asked you failed again..
__________________
How do you establish intent?
Well when a naked man is chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he's not collecting for the red cross...Inspector H. Callahan
Mayhem like Me is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 20:35   #297
Gryff
Senior Member
 
Gryff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 265
Send a message via AIM to Gryff
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
Heck, NY "screwed the cops" right of the git-go by writing the new law in such a way as for it to apply to everyone, including LEOs.
That's because New York cops (at least NYPD) are a bigger threat to citizens than psychotic shooters.
__________________
My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

Last edited by Gryff; 02-20-2013 at 21:34.. Reason: typo
Gryff is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 20:37   #298
Roering
Sorting nuts
 
Roering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,758
A popular argument for having the same weapons is that the average citizen faces the same dangers of the criminal element that LEO's do.

Although maybe true in occurrence, it is certainly not in frequency. So yes, you can make a case for having weapons that the average citizen does not.

However, the civilian market is exponentially larger than the market for LEA's and they know where their bread is buttered. The general populace of gun owners do not believe that their should be exceptions to the law when it comes to any of our rights. Companies who would like the support of such people react accordingly.

I can understand your sentiment King, but it is the politicians doing the screwing here. Firearm companies are just reacting as they see fit.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Warranty voiding

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 20:39   #299
Southswede
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
I asked you failed again..
Seems reality is different in your world. Perhaps you would care to ask a question. As of yet, you have not.
Southswede is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 20:43   #300
Ohio Cop
Senior Member
 
Ohio Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
That's because New York cops (at least NYPD) is a bigger threat to citizens than psychotic shooters.

Let me just put my waders on and come on in here...

S*** happens, it's even worse when you have an active shooter in an area with a couple of hundred people. But let's not let that get in the way.

You have ricochet, you have background, you have people who panic and run right between the officers and the shooter. What more can you do?
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Cop is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 926
258 Members
668 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31