Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2013, 16:57   #101
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Sorry bromigo, maybe I can get to you tomorrow. Why don't you hold your breath and see?
Seems like Austin would have been a better choice for you.
Old 02-19-2013, 17:00   #102
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I am married, but I understand well that men stand to lose so much while women only stand to gain.
That's simply not true. Women who earn more than their husbands can be ordered to pay support, for example. Women who bring assets to the marriage can lose those assets. Saying women "only stand to gain" is insane.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 17:13   #103
Gixxerjoe04

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
That's simply not true. Women who earn more than their husbands can be ordered to pay support, for example. Women who bring assets to the marriage can lose those assets. Saying women "only stand to gain" is insane.
Well hell then, I need to get married ASAP haha. Of course i don't want to inherit all of my woman's debt she has accrued so quickly after coming out of debt, that isn't helping her cause of getting married.
Gixxerjoe04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 17:15   #104
G23c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
I can't help but notice you live in Texas. If you are co-habitating Texas says you're common-law married.
thats one, but there are two other requirements, (1) intent/agreement to be married, and (2) holding out to others that you are married.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 17:15   #105
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Seems like Austin would have been a better choice for you.
Absolutely, I plan to move back down that way someday. Maybe Fredericksburg...
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 17:16   #106
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
According to the law, just yes. Read up on it some time.
I have, which is apparently more than you can say.
For the last time
Old 02-19-2013, 17:30   #107
yam

Send a message via Yahoo to yam
Quote:
I can't help but notice you live in Texas. If you are co-habitating Texas says you're common-law married.
Not true!
yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 17:56   #108
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
The Okie Corral
Old 02-19-2013, 17:58   #109
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
Not true!
Live with a woman a year in Texas, the state considers you common-law married.
Old 02-19-2013, 18:07   #110
devildog2067

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Family Code
2.401. PROOF OF INFORMAL MARRIAGE. (a) In a judicial, administrative, or other proceeding, the marriage of a man and woman may be proved by evidence that:
(1) a declaration of their marriage has been signed as provided by this subchapter; or
(2) the man and woman agreed to be married and after the agreement they lived together in this state as husband and wife and there represented to others that they were married.
(b) If a proceeding in which a marriage is to be proved as provided by Subsection (a)(2) is not commenced before the second anniversary of the date on which the parties separated and ceased living together, it is rebuttably presumed that the parties did not enter into an agreement to be married.
I don't see anything in there about living together for a year. I'm no expert, but all of the Texas divorce lawyer websites say you need the three things mentioned in subsection (a)(2), namely:

1) The two parties have to explicitly agree to be married
2) The two parties must live together
3) The two parties must represent to a third party that they are husband and wife

No idea what the burden of proof is like for any of these three.

Last edited by devildog2067; 02-19-2013 at 18:09..
Old 02-19-2013, 18:19   #111
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
I don't see anything in there about living together for a year. I'm no expert, but all of the Texas divorce lawyer websites say you need the three things mentioned in subsection (a)(2), namely:

1) The two parties have to explicitly agree to be married
2) The two parties must live together
3) The two parties must represent to a third party that they are husband and wife

No idea what the burden of proof is like for any of these three.
When you get her pregnant, good luck proving that you weren't married and don't be suprised to see a judge granting alimony and child support.

As it is said quite often in Spanish, "Union Libre".
Old 02-19-2013, 18:23   #112
devildog2067

Quote:
When you get her pregnant, good luck proving that you weren't married and don't be suprised to see a judge granting alimony and child support.
Again, I'm not from Texas and I'm not familiar with Texas law... but child support obligations typically have absolutely nothing to do with marital status. From the way the law reads, you don't have to "prove" you're "weren't married"--it's the other way around. The person who is attempting to prove the marriage has to meet the three listed criteria.
Quote:
It says nothing about living together for a year.
Old 02-19-2013, 18:27   #113
Diesel_Bomber

I don't blame them - blame anyone - for not wanting to get married. Of all the people I know my age or younger, my wife and I are the only ones who have stayed married and think that marriage was a positive choice.

We are also the only ones who were good friends for years before we got together. We are the only ones who were together for years before we got married.
Old 02-19-2013, 18:47   #114
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Bomber View Post
I don't blame them - blame anyone - for not wanting to get married. Of all the people I know my age or younger, my wife and I are the only ones who have stayed married and think that marriage was a positive choice.

We are also the only ones who were good friends for years before we got together. We are the only ones who were together for years before we got married.
Yeah, having a long term relationship before getting married really helped to last the marriage pretty long.

Mine was only for a year and it didn't worked out. We should have stay as a friend because it worked out for us.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 19:40   #115
yam

Send a message via Yahoo to yam
Quote:
Just stop. You are making a fool of yourself. Just because you say it, does not make it true. Internet information is worth what you pay for it.

DevilDog got it with a quick Google search. Try it sometime before you spout misinformation.
yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 19:51   #116
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
Just stop. You are making a fool of yourself. Just because you say it, does not make it true. Internet information is worth what you pay for it.

DevilDog got it with a quick Google search. Try it sometime before you spout misinformation.
Go easy on him, it's hard to break long standing habits.
For the last time
Old 02-19-2013, 20:03   #117
vikingsoftpaw

Quote:

How many women that you know will tolerate a relationship where their husband make significantly less than they do? Think cash and prizes here.

Many females desire a partner at least on the same financial plane as they are.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:06   #118
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw View Post
How many women that you know will tolerate a relationship where their husband make significantly less than they do?
Off the top of my head, 40 or 50. I could probably come up with more if I thought hard. I work in a consulting firm where almost 20% of the partners are women, I know a lot of women making 7 figures. Most of their husbands do not.

Quote:
And many others do not. And many men are looking for a meal ticket as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 20:08   #119
devildog2067

Quote:
How many women that you know will tolerate a relationship where their husband make significantly less than they do?
In fact, just thought of a couple who were both consultants at a fairly senior level (they made ~400 each, I'd guess). The husband just quit to open a bar, the wife is still at the firm and is about to make partner.
Old 02-19-2013, 20:19   #120
wayne

Send a message via ICQ to wayne
I think men don't wan't to get married these days because they hear the horror stories from friends and relatives whose marriages were epic failures. If I knew then what I know now, I would have never gotten married way back when or had kids for that matter. I've been divorced for a little over eight years. I was married for about 14 1/2 years with us being together for 17 years. I still remember all of the emotional BS I had to put up with from her behavior and is what is holding me back from getting married again.

I'm currently engaged to someone I've been dating since my first marriage was over. She is ready to get married but I'm really not. I still think about the negative aspects of being married the first time and all of the money I lost getting divorced, losing a big portion of my 401K, and all of the money I spend each month on CS for kids that could care less if they see/talk to me at all. To say the least, I'm a little bitter about marriage/divorce/kids and the entire institution that is a relationship/marriage. I will eventually get remarried but my experience with the entire marriage/divorce thing has scarred me on the subject.
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 21:07   #121
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
How many women that you know will tolerate a relationship where their husband make significantly less than they do? Think cash and prizes here.

Our farrier is married to the local anesthesiologist.
The realtor who sold us our house decades ago has no moved to seven+ digit ranches exclusively. Her husband collects our garbage.
The county attorney's husband works in a paint and body shop.

HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 21:19   #122
brisk21

I am married, but I asked a buddy why he would never get married. His answer is as follows: "Because women don't know their place anymore, and thats why there is so many divorces. Once they (women) started voting, burning their bras, and invading the workplace, marriage stopped working. Marriage was designed when the man was the head of the household, the provider, the one in charge. Now that is all gone."
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 21:22   #123
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Again, I'm not from Texas and I'm not familiar with Texas law... but child support obligations typically have absolutely nothing to do with marital status. From the way the law reads, you don't have to "prove" you're "weren't married"--it's the other way around. The person who is attempting to prove the marriage has to meet the three listed criteria.

It says nothing about living together for a year.
For an observation, In Texas, if you have lived together for "a while" if one party contests assets, the courts will look at it pretty much the same as if you had a government document.

And you are right, there is no timeframe in Texas law. It is realy more of an joint asset issue than any timeframe.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 21:22   #124
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
I am married, but I asked a buddy why he would never get married. His answer is as follows: "Because women don't know their place anymore, and thats why there is so many divorces. Once they (women) started voting, burning their bras, and invading the workplace, marriage stopped working. Marriage was designed when the man was the head of the household, the provider, the one in charge. Now that is all gone."
I'd find new buddies. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 21:37   #125
Kurly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
I need to ask if your decision to marry was made by your big head, or your little head.
Little bit of both....I take full responsibility for my stupid, stupid decision.

We only dated 6 months but for a lot of reasons and her ability to distort the truth, she made it seem like she was the one (we were supposed to have gone out 3 years ago when I was on Match.com, her Mom had breast cancer and she carried the Bracca-1 gene and had just recently had a double mastectomy so there was a lot of "commonality" there). I had just lost my Mom due to breast cancer, had to put my dog down after 13 years and lost my job. So yeah, I wasn't exactly in the right frame of mind. But I was financially solvent with no worries about making ends meet and in fact improved her lifestyle GREATLY while we were married.

Little did I know what the entitled, narcissistic princess she was until after we got hitched. But thankfully I got out quickly when she falsely accused me of DV and said she was in 'fear of her life because I had guns in the house'. She took me for over $50k in just 14 months.

I've chalked it up to an expensive learning experience but truth be told, when she went off birth control without telling me and wound up miscarrying, I could have been on the hook for a lot, lot more.
Kurly is offline   Reply With Quote