Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:37   #1
uaengineer

"Cheap" 00 Buck Test for HD

Last edited by uaengineer; 02-25-2013 at 19:19..
uaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:49   #2
deputy tom

Nice results. Thanks for sharing. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:04   #3
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Nice work man, thanks! I love to see this kind of thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 13:15   #4
Buffering
The Cooler

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I'm curious to know what the max, min and median pattern diameters were, if avalaible.

I've shot most of those as well as the premium stuff and I remain of the opinion that at bedroom length any of those loads were be sufficient. It looks like the patters (kind of hard to tell) are within 6-8 inches at that distance.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 15:07   #5
countrygun

I just have to toss out the fact that the "1 inch per yard" estimate has been mis-quoted from what I recall reading the first time I saw it. IIRC the original statement I saw in print said that was the average spread PAST about 8 yards if I remember correctly, but it didn't imply "from the muzzle"
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 16:00   #6
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

This is why I tell people you need to pattern your shotguns.

Personally, I like the Rio and Winchester patterns the most. At 15 yards inside the house that's the kind of pattern that optimizes your ability to achieve a lethal hit with less than perfectly centered shots. But it also gives up very little to really tight patterns in terms of good pellet density in the center of the pattern.

You like tight patterns? Take a .410 shotgun to the skeet range one day and come back and tell me how good you are with tight patterns on moving targets.

Tight patterns suck--especially at close ranges!

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 02-17-2013 at 16:02..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 16:26   #7
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

I'm going to the range tomorrow. I'll try some other ammo and post pics.

I'm not the kind of poster who goes 20 pages trying to prove a point. I'll make my point with 1 or 2 replies and be done. I don't need your approval.
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 16:44   #8
uaengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I just have to toss out the fact that the "1 inch per yard" estimate has been mis-quoted from what I recall reading the first time I saw it. IIRC the original statement I saw in print said that was the average spread PAST about 8 yards if I remember correctly, but it didn't imply "from the muzzle"
This statement sounds more true when you think about it. I had just thought I'd heard something similar in the past. I think a lot of people have concerns about over penetration when they have kids in other bedrooms or have neighbors close by. In this case, I think most people want the tightest pattern possible without the fliers. I think any of these loads would get the job done up to this distance (25 yd test coming) but it's also the shooter's responsibility to be wary of collateral damage if the possibility exists.
Old 02-17-2013, 17:32   #9
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Buckshot is my SHTF round, meaning someone is in my home. A tight pattern at close distance holds more energy to be transferred to the target, to make him DRT and make his buddies the same or gone.

Everyone has their own viewpoint, but at 25 yards, how is that individual a threat? If he is, I have 6 slugs on the buttstock for that engagement.

I'm not the kind of poster who goes 20 pages trying to prove a point. I'll make my point with 1 or 2 replies and be done. I don't need your approval.
Old 02-17-2013, 17:41   #10
uaengineer

I don't have to waste anymore ammo for this thread. Some people are simply curious as to what their gun will do at that distance when the blue helmets show up.

In other words, this ain't meant to be scientific or grounds for a flame war and also why I don't post what ammo I use so someone can tell me how bad my choice is. TIFWIW

Last edited by uaengineer; 02-17-2013 at 17:42..
Old 02-17-2013, 18:01   #11
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

I don't think at 25 yards, buckshot is going to have much effect on blue helmets.

Something that would be interesting, would be a comparison of the patterns with a rifled barrel vs a regular barrel. I've always heard a rifled barrel would create a tighter pattern. I have an extra barrel I could cut, but ammo shelves are so bare, I couldn't find enough different brands to compare.

May be a thread for the future, when the Obama panic is over.

Last edited by Rooster Rugburn; 02-17-2013 at 18:02..
Old 02-17-2013, 18:07   #12
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
I don't think at 25 yards, buckshot is going to have much effect on blue helmets.

Something that would be interesting, would be a comparison of the patterns with a rifled barrel vs a regular barrel. I've always heard a rifled barrel would create a tighter pattern. I have an extra barrel I could cut, but ammo shelves are so bare, I couldn't find enough different brands to compare.

May be a thread for the future, when the Obama panic is over.
I don't know where you heard that about a rifled barrel but it is so wrong it's not funny.

the rifled barrel spins the shot cup and shot and produces a "donut" pattern much wider that a smooth bore with a hole in the center.

That is why the single shot .45/.410s have a device that attaches to the muzzle when firing shot loads. It isn't a "choke" as some think, it actually stops the spinning of the shot cup to prevent the effect.
Old 02-17-2013, 18:16   #13
xXxplosive

I'm not that picky at 15yds....I'd take any one of those.
xXxplosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 18:32   #14
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I don't know where you heard that about a rifled barrel but it is so wrong it's not funny.

the rifled barrel spins the shot cup and shot and produces a "donut" pattern much wider that a smooth bore with a hole in the center.

That is why the single shot .45/.410s have a device that attaches to the muzzle when firing shot loads. It isn't a "choke" as some think, it actually stops the spinning of the shot cup to prevent the effect.
That would make sense, but I'm not an expert. But would the rifling spin the rounds when the rounds are not in constant contact with the rifling?

I might just cut a barrel down after all. I don't have but a couple brands of ammo right now, but it might still prove interesting.

Old 02-17-2013, 18:54   #15
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
That would make sense, but I'm not an expert. But would the rifling spin the rounds when the rounds are not in constant contact with the rifling?

I might just cut a barrel down after all. I don't have but a couple brands of ammo right now, but it might still prove interesting.
If you think about it, the rounds only go the direction you want because they are forced to by the barrel, IE they have contact with the barrel and if there is rifling in the barrel, obviously with that s well.

I have tested it with .the aforementioned .45/410s
Old 02-17-2013, 20:42   #16
amd65

Send a message via Yahoo to amd65
I have been shooting S&B 00 9-pellet buck lately, and like it a lot. I just got some of their #4 buck, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 02-17-2013, 20:45   #17
Jeremy_K

Scored my 3 box limit of Winchester 00 at Wallyworld today. They had a bunch of it. Great field test!
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 21:09   #18
Fredder
TANSTAAFL

I like the results!

Sadly there was only 1 box of 00 at Wally when I was there.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32   #19
Aceman

Great post! Bottom line; ANY of them would work just fine. I don't think there is a practical bit of difference. PMC looks a little looser, Fed a little tighter.

I honestly like slightly loose for indoor work. But again - is there a practical difference? Not IMO. However - there are clearly differences.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 13:00   #20
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Buckshot in a rifled barrel:
Box of Truth #43

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote