Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:42   #1
TexasGlockster

Chrome lined or no?

My dad has decided to get into the AR world after I ended up buying my Colt 6920 right before world went crazy. Anywho, my dad is thinking of stepping it up into the Daniel Defense or LaRue realm for his purchase. I would say he's got somewhere between $1800 and $2400 to work with depending on how rich he's feeling that day . So first off, what recommendations do you have in that price realm?

My second question is the title of this thread. As I was doing some product research into the HK MR556A1, Daniel Defense ARs, and LaRue's ARs (which are in stock btw) I realized they do NOT have chrome barrels. As you are well aware the 6920 has a chrome lined barrel, which I understand to improve the life of the barrel and help prevent corrosion (not that I don't clean it frequently regardless). Is the chrome lined barrel necessary for a civilian market? My dad is not quite as good about cleaning his guns but still does it regularly. What are the pros and cons to having one and not having one?
TexasGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:13   #2
boomhower

Daniel Defense barrels are chrome lined. If I'm not mistaken LaRue uses stainless barrels which won't be chrome lined, it's just been blackened to not look stainless. Not sure about the HK but I'm going to guess it's chrome lined as well. Yes, you want a chrome lined barrel unless it's stainless.

As far as what gun, what is he going to use it for? If it's just punching holes in paper at the range then a $800 consumer grade rifle will suffice. If it's more serious work a $1300-$1500 Colt, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LaRue etc. would fit the bill. Just depends on what his goal is for the rifle.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37   #3
.50 cal

Stainless barrels will give you better accuracy and a shorter life span, where do you see Larue's in stock?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:42   #4
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

If the LaRue is in stock, he'd better snatch it up. There is around a year wait time from LaRue right now, and they have discontinued their dealer program until further notice.

LaRue barrels are LW50 stainless steel and, according to LaRue, have a 10k round life.

Last edited by Travclem; 02-14-2013 at 08:44..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17   #5
K. Foster

A chrome lined barrel will last longer and be less likely to have extraction problems. A more important determining factor than whether or not it is CL is barrel quality.
A good non-chromed barrel (commonly referred to as chrome-moly) may be very slightly more accurate, but a good chrome lined barrel is better than a mediocre non lined barrel and will be plenty accurate for 99% of the shooters out there.
I recommend chrome lining.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28   #6
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Seen plenty of tests to tell me that a Quality Chrome lined barrel will not apprciably outlast/outshoot a quality stainless barrel. Given a moderate level of care.

Doing a torture test now on two F/A agency 10.5 inch guns one LW50 stainless one CMV chromelined DD.

Stainless is still more accurate at 5K rounds.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29   #7
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
If the LaRue is in stock, he'd better snatch it up. There is around a year wait time from LaRue right now, and they have discontinued their dealer program until further notice.

LaRue barrels are LW50 stainless steel and, according to LaRue, have a 10k round life.
Buy it I have one they are tough as nails mine is the 1/8 polygonal Wylde chamber he will never find a better barrel.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:12   #8
cesaros

hmm...Didn't know barrels had a strict life span

my Colt M4 (at work) has seen tens of thousands of rounds and is still dead accurate and sparkling clean.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20   #9
mixflip

Just get chrome lined and be done with it. Chances are you and your dad will miss a cleaning far more often than you will need to put a hole inside a hole. I mean if you are an accuracy freak then maybe its important but if you lean more towards durability then just get what we have been using for the last few decades that has been proven in combat all over the world already.
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:32   #10
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaros View Post
hmm...Didn't know barrels had a strict life span

my Colt M4 (at work) has seen tens of thousands of rounds and is still dead accurate and sparkling clean.
The barrel life that LaRue gives with their rifles is approximate, and based on the sub MOA accuracy of the rifles. When the barrel has over 10k through it, it's not going to fall off of the gun, but the chances of it still being a sub MOA gun are less due to throat erosion. Your Colt is chrome lined and will have a longer barrel life than a stainless barrel, but it was probably never a sub MOA gun to begin with. When talking about a CQB gun, barrel(accuracy) life is sort of null, gas port erosion on the other hand is not. A barrel with 20-30K through it probably has a worn out gas port and is consequently severely overgassed. Chances are, most civilians will not wear out an AR barrel in their lifetime.

FTR I do have a CL RRA that has ~12k through it, I haven't noticed any accuracy loss in the rifle.

Last edited by Travclem; 02-14-2013 at 11:35..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:35   #11
MajorD

Chrome lining was developed after ww2 after issues of rusty chambers in the pacific causing functional problems. Realize they also used corrosive primed ammo back then. Chrome lining in a routine civilian use gun subjected to routine care is not needed. Most top tier ar makers do chrome line, but I have been very happy without it. Usgi match m14 barrels were NOT lined as it was found this was less accurate- not that it matters for 99% of what people use an ar these days for. If you go to camp perry for the national matches you won't see chrome lined barrels on the line
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 15:06   #12
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Foster View Post
A good non-chromed barrel (commonly referred to as chrome-moly)
Chrome-moly is the steel the barrel is made out of. It has nothing to do with whether or not a barrel has chrome lining. You can have a chrome lining for a chrome-moly barrel, or not.
Old 02-14-2013, 15:08   #13
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by .50 cal View Post
Stainless barrels will give you better accuracy and a shorter life span, where do you see Larue's in stock?
Where do you get this claim of stainless steel barrels giving you better accuracy from?

The mechanical accuracy of a barrel and/or a gun has nothing to do with which steel the barrel is being made out of.
Old 02-14-2013, 15:48   #14
cesaros

Quote:
The barrel life that LaRue gives with their rifles is approximate, and based on the sub MOA accuracy of the rifles. When the barrel has over 10k through it, it's not going to fall off of the gun, but the chances of it still being a sub MOA gun are less due to throat erosion. Your Colt is chrome lined and will have a longer barrel life than a stainless barrel, but it was probably never a sub MOA gun to begin with. When talking about a CQB gun, barrel(accuracy) life is sort of null, gas port erosion on the other hand is not. A barrel with 20-30K through it probably has a worn out gas port and is consequently severely overgassed. Chances are, most civilians will not wear out an AR barrel in their lifetime.

FTR I do have a CL RRA that has ~12k through it, I haven't noticed any accuracy loss in the rifle.
Thanks for clarification. Makes sense now.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 15:59   #15
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Chromelined guns existed in WW2, they just weren't common.

The round estimate from LaRue is more of 'we haven't seen anyone shoot one out yet?', or at most only a few.

All depends on what you're shooting, how fast you're shooting and in what conditions. Even heavily abused a LaRue will typically be a MOA gun far into it's barrel service life.

For a pure-accuracy gun, the stainless isn't bad, for a more service-rifle type, chrome will not heavily affect the accuracy of a typical shooter unless it's off a bench with a high powered scope and match ammo.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 16:21   #16
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Chrome-moly is the steel the barrel is made out of. It has nothing to do with whether or not a barrel has chrome lining. You can have a chrome lining for a chrome-moly barrel, or not.
Iím aware of that. Thanks for your valuable input.
Old 02-14-2013, 16:29   #17
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen

Chrome lining is a must have if you are going to use full auto and possibly shoot thousands of rounds before cleaning. Otherwise, unnecessary.
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 16:33   #18
K. Foster

Quote:

Good post.
Also, wearing out a barrel is really not something to concern yourself with. If you can afford to shoot enough to wear it out, you can afford to buy another one.
Current lack of parts not withstanding.
Old 02-14-2013, 16:47   #19
M&P15T
Beard One

Daniel Defense ARE chrome lined.
MR556s are not chrome lined.
I do not know anything about LaRue's.

You say you can find them in stock. I highly doubt that.

Your Father could not have chosen a worse time to try and get into an AR15.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 17:19   #20
.50 cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Where do you get this claim of stainless steel barrels giving you better accuracy from?

The mechanical accuracy of a barrel and/or a gun has nothing to do with which steel the barrel is being made out of.
I read it on an Internet forum, it has to be true if it's on the Internet