SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:35   #1
FloridaGun
-> 10mm <-

"Pocket" Glock .40 or .357???

I was going to buy a J-frame .357 for pocket carry, but I have not been able to find the MP340ct that I want. Or I souls say, did want. Since I haven't been able to find a j frame I have been considering other avenues. And in reconsidering the j frame I decided that I am loosing so much power from a 1.85" barrel and a lot is being wasted in mussle flash that the actual power I would be getting from the .357mag would prob be no more than a .40 loading. And on top of that I am limited to only 5 rounds.

So now I am considering a Glock 27 or 33 instead. Talon Tactical makes a G26/27/33 pocket holster. I will not consider the G26 as I am a believer that the 9mm is woefully inadequate at taking down BGs.

I have a G29 gen4 on order for primary CCW duty, but even though the G29 is only just a bit larger in every way I don't think it would be good at all for pocket duty. If they made an even smaller 10mm I would be all over that though!!

Is what I am trying to achieve is find the biggest pocket carry pistol that is as effective as possible in the sense of (Balistics/Capacity).

Enters the G27/33

Now I have allways thought of the .357sig as better than .40 in every way. Until I found underwood has a .40 loading that is 135gr. 1500fps/675ftlbs!!

Does that load make the .357sig irrelevant?

-FloridaGlockers #500 -Kalashnikov Klub #51

GOA and NRA Lifetime Member
FloridaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44   #2
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGun View Post
I was going to buy a J-frame .357 for pocket carry, but I have not been able to find the MP340ct that I want. Or I souls say, did want. Since I haven't been able to find a j frame I have been considering other avenues. And in reconsidering the j frame I decided that I am loosing so much power from a 1.85" barrel and a lot is being wasted in mussle flash that the actual power I would be getting from the .357mag would prob be no more than a .40 loading. And on top of that I am limited to only 5 rounds.

So now I am considering a Glock 27 or 33 instead. Talon Tactical makes a G26/27/33 pocket holster. I will not consider the G26 as I am a believer that the 9mm is woefully inadequate at taking down BGs.

I have a G29 gen4 on order for primary CCW duty, but even though the G29 is only just a bit larger in every way I don't think it would be good at all for pocket duty. If they made an even smaller 10mm I would be all over that though!!

Is what I am trying to achieve is find the biggest pocket carry pistol that is as effective as possible in the sense of (Balistics/Capacity).

Enters the G27/33

Now I have allways thought of the .357sig as better than .40 in every way. Until I found underwood has a .40 loading that is 135gr. 1500fps/675ftlbs!!

Cor Bon and others make 135 gr S&W 40 SD rounds that
approximate 357 Sig performance.
Why not get 40 and 357 barrels for either gun?
Shoot both and make a choice.

Last edited by barth; 02-16-2013 at 06:44..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:45   #3
ede
Bama's Friend

I'd make sure they fit in a pocket before you buy one. The Kahrs are the only .40s that would fit in a pocket for me. I know the sub sized Glocks don't. Do you have .40 or 357 Glock now? If so I'd buy the sub size in same caliber so you could use same ammo. As for .40 or .357 I like the .357 but ammo may be harder to find.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:02   #4
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
As for .40 or .357 I like the .357 but ammo may be harder to find.
+1
With ammo shortages and the specter of a possible online ammo sales ban.
I've bought 40 S&W barrels for most of my 357 Sig guns.

It's good to have options these days.

Last edited by barth; 02-16-2013 at 07:02..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16   #5
Beanie-Bean

.357SIG is my vote. I reload my ammo, and the .357SIG cases stick out like sore thumbs when collecting and later sorting the brass. If you're shooting 10mm, I hope that you're loading your own as well!

If you have the G33, you can covert to either .40S&W or 9x19 by just swapping barrels and magazines. Ask Barth about that!

I find .357SIG more fun to practice with, too. Much louder, and huge fireballs, depending on what load you're running. SD/carry/duty ammo is pretty easy to find, and despite what you read in certain forums on the internet, the cartridge is not difficult to load at all.

I've recently picked up a G29 Gen4, and am hoping to take it out to the range tomorrow for a spin. I've always liked 10mm, especially through the G20SF, and am excited to break this one in so I can start carrying it.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25   #6
Globetruck

I love my Glock 27, but don't consider it as a pocket gun. M&P Shield makes a 40, but even that one is a bit big for pocket carry -- and it only holds 6+1 rounds I think.
Globetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25   #7
DevilDocsGlocks

Depends on your other guns and ammo suppl. we have kept it simple. Walther PPQ, G22 and G27 all in .40. I can even run my G22 -22 and 30 round mags in the g27 when I'm feeling froggy..
DevilDocsGlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:32   #8
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

.40's are fine but for some reason I seem to get back on target quicker with the 357 sig.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43   #9
Vartarg

Depends....

I'd say it also depends on your pockets....

I've got a DeSantis pocket holster for the G26/27/33 and it works well with some khakis and "cargo" style pants.....but forget about jeans. It's also a bit "weighty"...

That being the case, I rarely pocket carry, and prefer IWB or OWB, and generally have little difficulty with that.

For me, more comfortable pocket carry works with a S&W 642 in an Uncle Mike's holster.....
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17   #10
Adamz04

I have a g33 which is my Edc. I cannot pocket carry it. It is just to heavy and bulky for me. I carry mine iwb. If you want a true pocket gun look at a kahr pm40. Unless you wear gangsta pants you may be able to pull it off.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31   #11
Saberman

My best pocket carry gun is a S&W 640 Pro Series. in .357 Magnum All Stainless Steel. I carry it in a Galco Horsehide Pocket Holster and it totally dissapears. I cant even feel it in my pocket.
Saberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:56   #12
FloridaGun
-> 10mm <-

Quote:
I'd make sure they fit in a pocket before you buy one. The Kahrs are the only .40s that would fit in a pocket for me. I know the sub sized Glocks don't. Do you have .40 or 357 Glock now? If so I'd buy the sub size in same caliber so you could use same ammo. As for .40 or .357 I like the .357 but ammo may be harder to find.
I am in Florida, and its not illegal to print your gun. It just has to be conceled. I have measured my pockets and a 27/33 will fit into my pockets, it may "print" but I don't care about that. No I don't have one now at all.

-FloridaGlockers #500 -Kalashnikov Klub #51

GOA and NRA Lifetime Member
FloridaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29   #13
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

I don't settle for pocket carry. It's less stable and accessible than a proper belt mounted holster. Fine for going to the mailbox or getting something out of the car, but that's about it. Regarding caliber- you're overthinking it. .357sig does not have functional benefit that justifies its extra cost. It's a perfectly viable caliber, but no more so than a hot 9mm or standard .40S&W. Even from a 27/26/33. Any of the three is more than adequate for permittee carry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGun View Post

Enters the G27/33

Old 02-16-2013, 09:46   #14
ADK_40GLKr

If you like the G29, but think it's too big, how about the G39? - shorter, smaller frame, (Same dimensions as 26/27/33) bigger bullet with same ballistics as ACP - (though the SLIDE may be the same width as 10mm & .45 ACP)

Last edited by ADK_40GLKr; 02-16-2013 at 09:49..
ADK_40GLKr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:48   #15
dbarn

I carry the Glock 31 on duty in a blackhawk level 3 holster.

Should the BG attempt a weapon grab, while fending off with my right hand, I will slip my left hand into the pocket of my Propper Tactical pants and pull out my S&W model 340SC .357 stoked with Hornady Critical Defense .357 ammo. This pistol fulfills the back-up pocket carry, emergency use pistol role very well. The holster is a RKBA pocket holster.

It must be lightweight, comfortable, and easily accessible or it will get left at home. Especially with all of the other required carry gear. This one goes with me on every call.

General Glocking

Last edited by dbarn; 02-16-2013 at 10:16..
dbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:02   #16
1canvas

for me my 27 is too large for most pocket carry. for my 27 I stay with the 180grn HST. the sig has a little to much blast for me in a sub but I do carry a 23 with a 32 barrel.
for pocket carry I carry the 640 with Speer .357 Short Barrel which is a good in putting it between a .38 and .357mag. pocket carry has its limitations in size, caliber, shootability, and effectiveness. thats why most people pocket carry as a back up or on a very limited basis. no mater what, if the shooting starts and you are defending youself with a true pocket gun you are at a severe disatvantage.
you need to look into ballistics a little more, you will find its not all about speed. the 135gn .40 is seriously lacking in sectional density which is why most knowlegable people dismiss this for SD.
I looked into a 29 at one time but found the ballistics from major ammo manufactures lacking out of a 29. its large and heavy, thats why I pick compacts in 357sig or .40 for capacity and my carry comfort. in both calibers I rely on Gold Dot and HSTs
Old 02-16-2013, 10:19   #17
seaswol
NRA Life Member

Exactly

Quote:
Tried 6 different pocket holsters for my G26. Ended up buying a PM9 and after 525 rounds with no problems, it is now my pocket carry. Otherwise it is my G29 IWB.
Chris
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37   #18
4095fanatic

I pocket carried a G27 when I lived in a state that permitted CCW. Never had any issues.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:41   #19
pt6998

I've been carrying a 27 with Winchester 180gr PDX1s in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for nearly three years now. It works very well in loose fitting Ralph Lauren khaki shorts and dress pants using a belt. Anything a little tight on the waist is really a no go. Blue jeans (mainly Ralph Lauren and American Eagle brand) can work but the 27 prints in the pocket. If the fit isn't just right or it prints the 27 will go to my Crossbreed Supertuck on my waist or ankle holster.

It's tough to say if pocket carrying the 27 works for everybody. I don't use any magazine extensions just the GAP floor plate and Talon grip to aid shooting. It's key to make the 27 as small as a package as possible to pocket carry. It is definitely harder to do than with my wife's Ruger LCP. I can get it to work most of the time. I usually pocket carry the 27 on really hot days when I am wearing shorts and a thin t-shirt because I don't have to worry about the 27 being seen if I have to bend over or stretch like it could if it is IWB.

If you can find a 27 at a LGS, see if they will let you slide it in to your pocket to see what you think. Of course I would ask permission first!
pt6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12   #20
9mm +p+

Have you ever fired a 27? Miserable little beast, I pocket carry a 23, GASP?!? Yep a 23, I've pocket carried since the early 90's, all day everyday. I'd strongly suggest firing a G27 before buying one, 40 is not a pleasant rd to fire even out of a 23. I had a 27 as an OTB backup briefly but sold it, i found it too hard to control.