Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2015, 14:37   #1
GLOCK22JUNKIE

Best shirt types for warm weather CCW

Hello. I'm a recent CCW holder (although not new to ccw), and I was wondering what types of shirts everyone uses for warm weather CCW. I typically throw on a tee with a wide cut button up where the first few buttons are snapped to avoid a breeze exposing my weapon, but I'm trying to get some other ideas, as my full time carry choice will be my G22, which is a bit more difficult not to print with. Holster choice is usually a high ride belt slide or a pancake, both with thumb break. Any suggestions?
GLOCK22JUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 14:45   #2
John Biltz

Its hard to beat a Hawaiian shirt when it comes to concealment.
Old 02-28-2015, 14:48   #3
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK22JUNKIE View Post
Hello. I'm a recent CCW holder (although not new to ccw), and I was wondering what types of shirts everyone uses for warm weather CCW. I typically throw on a tee with a wide cut button up where the first few buttons are snapped to avoid a breeze exposing my weapon, but I'm trying to get some other ideas, as my full time carry choice will be my G22, which is a bit more difficult not to print with. Holster choice is usually a high ride belt slide or a pancake, both with thumb break. Any suggestions?
I never have a problem wearing T-Shirts, personally. Staying away from whites and light solid colors doesn't hurt. Heavier fabric also helps, for those days when its not ridiculously hot.
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 15:04   #4
craig_o
CLM Number 288
Charter Lifetime Member

All I need is an untucked polo shirt or a short-sleeved button-up. T-shirts call for pocket carry IMO.
Old 02-28-2015, 15:21   #5
Lt Scott 14

Unless extremely hot, I prefer a pocket tee(holds my glasses), and a plaid or work style with flapped pockets is a norm.

Blue Denim, or khaki tan, unbuttoned, can easilybe removed in a Gun Friendly Zone. Others will offer light concealability.

If T shirt mode only: Pocket carry rules. (like cargos FYI). If out in public. also wear a shoe, no sandals or flip flops. Low cut ankle socks keep sweat from ruining the inside of your shoes.(smelly-rank)

Usually a ball cap also: no gun theme, or LE insignias. Ball teams are great, sometimes a camo/ OD green military style. Boonies for yard chores.(desert or khaki are cooler than dark ones in the sun)
Good luck.

Last edited by Lt Scott 14; 02-28-2015 at 15:23..
Lt Scott 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 15:55   #6
BrentC

Some golf shirts are made of thin elastic material to prevent moisture build Up. That stretchy material can really amplify printing so be careful with some golf shirts. Otherwise, polo type shirts work great.
BrentC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 16:04   #7
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biltz View Post
Its hard to beat a Hawaiian shirt when it comes to concealment.
Yep!

The big blocky patterns really hide any printing.
Old 02-28-2015, 16:16   #8
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

I'm in Florida. I wear an undershirt (tucked in), IWB holster, and a Duluth Trading Company "Long-T" shirt over it (untucked). The DTC Long-Ts have an extra 3 inches in length, so they don't ride up over your gun. And, they are a fairly heavy weight cloth. I'm plenty comfortable, year-round, wearing this combo in Florida. The Long-Ts are reasonably priced, too. I buy them through the DTC website.
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 16:26   #9
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Bowling shirts like Tony Soprano or that the drunk guy that played on 3 men and a baby.... or whatever that t.v. show is...

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 16:46   #10
Ermytraining

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150228_172422-1-1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	245073I live in Florida and a dark colored hawaiian shirt is my go to. I prefer a solid but design textured fabric to break up any printing. Not a big fan of bright touristy colored shirts. Windy day I wear a t shirt underneath.
Ermytraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 18:56   #11
Bruce M

Even a light colored shirt will work if it has that little something to break up potential printing

Carry Issues
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 20:09   #12
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

But, I don't want to be a pirate!

Old 02-28-2015, 20:54   #13
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
But, I don't want to be a pirate!

Or a flamingo dancer. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 21:12   #14
ranger1968

Quote:
I'm in Florida, where it's "warm weather" all year (it was 86 today, in February) and I'm carrying a G-23 IWB (HH Holsters Ranger Rig) with a t-shirt, (black/brown/dark gray/blue/etc, no white or light tan) with excellent concealment, all year....

If you have a good rig, and you set it up the right way, you can conceal a lot better than you may think you can.....
Old 02-28-2015, 22:48   #15
GLOCK22JUNKIE

I'm almost thinking a slanted or vertical shoulder rig might be a better holster option for me, as me wearing a Hawaiian shirt is something akin to a midget in a gorilla suit. I would stand out in a crowd. As I'm more accustomed to OWB holsters, can anybody recommend a COMFORTABLE IWB rig, suitable for all day wear. I realize a G22 isn't the smallest gun to CC with, but I'd prefer to carry that vs. my compact Taurus given the choice. I'm thinking long tee tucked in, with a lightweight buttonedy short sleeve over it. I'm thinking something more square cut, similar to a bowling shirt, but not quite as loud. Haven't found anything yet. Anyone have any experience good or bad with the holster tees? I was looking at them, but I'm not sure how hot they would be, given that they're a polyester blend. I also have two extra mags to carry as well.

Last edited by GLOCK22JUNKIE; 03-01-2015 at 06:09.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2015, 22:58   #16
HarleyGuy

My favorite shirt for warm weather concealed carry is a shirt that has an elastic (banded bottom) waist line, preferably with a dark, patterned fabric to help "break-up" the outlines of what lies beneath.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 00:24   #17
Confederado

I wear fishing shirts like Magellan untucked and often unbuttoned or mabee just the bottom few buttons buttoned http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mage...en&N=316660615 They dont have the prints and are light colored, but they are light weight and hang loose.
Confederado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:36   #18
k7ant

Summer, I first wear a flexy shirt like a Under Armor
tucked in. I hate a gun/holster rubbing against my bare skin. Then I either wear a dark long T or a button up open over my
belt. I am vary suspicious of any Hawaiian shirts and so are
the police and store security people.

Winter, the same UA shirt and whatever else I want because
I usually have a vest or coat on.

BTW, I caryy either a XDs9 or a G26 IWB.

Last edited by k7ant; 03-01-2015 at 01:37..
k7ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:16   #19
ewetstone

Quote:
Right there. I always carry a full size gun from a 5" 1911 Kimber Warrior to a FnFive Seven to the Glock 21 gen2.

My standard attire is jeans or a pair of the cotton/ripstop polyester cargo pants along with a basic 100% cotton in one or another color. Then generally a short or long sleeve button down shirt with just the bottom two buttons done so the wind wont inadvertently blow a shirt tale up. So I can either where the OWB TTgunleather slide holster or a shoulder rig I have.
ewetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:22   #20
GLOCK22JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confederado View Post
I wear fishing shirts like Magellan untucked and often unbuttoned or mabee just the bottom few buttons buttoned http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mage...en&N=316660615 They dont have the prints and are light colored, but they are light weight and hang loose.
These shirts look like they might fit the bill. Do you know if these are cut looser in the midsection (untailored)? I've become a little larger in the midsection over the years...

I would normally wear a large, but if these are as lightweight as the reviews state, I'm thinking maybe an X-large would give me some extra for concealment, and still conceal my weapon. At that price, I can't go wrong, I suppose. Wish they had more colors available. White is out of the question. Thanks for the link.