Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:54   #41
bha0198

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1361026038.789664.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	231245

Just checked the thread since I posted, sorry for the delay, didn't get off work until 1am.

This is the only wording that was returned with the firearm besides shipping info. That's why I was confused, so I CALLED Glock and they put me through to one of the "armorers".

He asked me for the serial #, pulled up the notes on my account, and said that they test fired 4 magazines through it, fired fine. I already had all the updates parts, so they put a shipping label on it and sent it back.

So that's when I asked him if he had any suggestions, because one if the main reasons I bought a Glock was because many said its the most reliable handgun in the world, and that it will never fail on you.

That's when he said that it should only take 124+ grain ammo.

So I told him thanks for the suggestion, and that was it.

For those who say it is "limp wristing", I will tell you this. This is my first firearm so it could've been possible. So I had my friend fire it who has done GSSF competitions, owns and carries Glocks consistently. He had the EXACT thing happen. Then, I fired his Glock 23 and it did not happen to me. So it can't be that. He was the one that suggested I send it in.

So now I have called a local gunsmith who specializes in Glocks. He said he can modify the ejector for $50 and it'll be perfect. He says he gets the new Glocks all the time brought to him for this same reason. I am debating taking it over there this week.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
bha0198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:15   #42
DocWills

I . The most common handgun i see is rugers and glocks. A fair mix of smiths and a few hk, caracal, fn, 1911 etc.

All of them show issues.

Most common is bad ammo, (read low or inconsistent pressure)

Second is weak shooting skills.

there is range ammo and for real ammo. Ball 9mm is range ammo. Weak ejection is common and who cares. Extraction is fine and shooting is fine.

Shoot the range ammo to polish your skills and learn the gun.

Buy the real $1 a round stuff for self defense.

Avoid reloads from an unknown source.( read someone who doesnt see you at dinner each night.)

Last edited by DocWills; 02-16-2013 at 09:19..
DocWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:25   #43
ColdSteelNail

Glock should have gotten ahead of this problem a long time ago. They didn't and still haven't and their reputation is paying a price.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35   #44
jdw174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain8768 View Post
My Gen 4 G19 has only seen 115 grain ammo of all types. I have not had a BTF yet...
What he said ^^^^

I'd also add that I've been going thru a case of Sellier & Bellot 115gr that ejects like crazy. Listed at 1280FPS, slightly hotter than WW and Federal. Hard to get right now though.

Last edited by jdw174; 02-16-2013 at 09:40..
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:21   #45
Slalom.45

I recently purchased a VERY lightly used Gen 4 G 19. I picked up 500 rounds of WWB ammo labeled 124 gr. NATO at the same time. (Had not seen that before BTW).

Anyway, I have had a good number of brass to head hits from it with this ammo. The ejection pattern is also all over the place. It is feeding reliably and the BTH doesn't really bother me, but it is odd. My G21 and XD9 SC never do this.
Slalom.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:39   #46
DEADEYEGUY

Most NATO spec amo is 124gr. that's true enough. But their is a NATO Spec for 115gr. ammo also. If the 124gr. +P ammo thing is true why isn't this reflected in a change in the owners manual saying that only 124gr. +P/NATO spec ammo should be used? Rght now it says SAMI (SAMMI) or NATO spec. Nothing about the other nonsense.

Last edited by DEADEYEGUY; 02-17-2013 at 10:01..
DEADEYEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44   #47
cesaros

Ive only had one BTF incident, and that was when my wife fired my G17 for the first time and had a poor grip. Never happened again after that.

All i shoot at the range is 115gr

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:48   #48
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bha0198 View Post
Attachment 231245

Just checked the thread since I posted, sorry for the delay, didn't get off work until 1am.

This is the only wording that was returned with the firearm besides shipping info. That's why I was confused, so I CALLED Glock and they put me through to one of the "armorers".

He asked me for the serial #, pulled up the notes on my account, and said that they test fired 4 magazines through it, fired fine. I already had all the updates parts, so they put a shipping label on it and sent it back.

So that's when I asked him if he had any suggestions, because one if the main reasons I bought a Glock was because many said its the most reliable handgun in the world, and that it will never fail on you.

That's when he said that it should only take 124+ grain ammo.

So I told him thanks for the suggestion, and that was it.

For those who say it is "limp wristing", I will tell you this. This is my first firearm so it could've been possible. So I had my friend fire it who has done GSSF competitions, owns and carries Glocks consistently. He had the EXACT thing happen. Then, I fired his Glock 23 and it did not happen to me. So it can't be that. He was the one that suggested I send it in.

So now I have called a local gunsmith who specializes in Glocks. He said he can modify the ejector for $50 and it'll be perfect. He says he gets the new Glocks all the time brought to him for this same reason. I am debating taking it over there this week.

I'd take it to him and see exactly what he does to it and if it corrects it. I'd love to know myself. What do you have to loose?
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 13:17   #49
Zelesnik G17

I have a 17 Gen 4 and I couldn't be happier with its performance out of the box. I'm at about 600+ rounds, all cheaper ammo. No issues at all. I am no expert by any means, but I point, squeez, bang, and repeat. No more drama than that, other than actually finding the ammo to shoot. I have just been shooting the cheaper stuff while familiarizing myself with my new/1st Glock. 75% has been 115gr....
Zelesnik G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 13:49   #50
TSAX
USAF Vet

Try shooting it with 124 or higher first to see if the guy at Glock was right about YOUR specific gun. Many can shoot 115 with no issue I know it would suck if your Glock was one that could only shot 124 or higher without BTF issues.

I would do some checking on a gunsmith before giving him my gun. How reputable is he and does he have a money back or warranty or insurance on his work, many places that do work is bring it to us at your own risk. Lets say as an example only he does something like cutting into the frame (which voids factory warranty) to lower where the ejector sits and then you still have the same problem or worse yet. Is he an accredited gunsmith or at least a Glock Armorer. In every occupation there are good and bad workers.

If he claims he's only messing with the ejector make sure he is only messing with the ejector or find out exactly what else he touched in case something else goes wrong. Be careful with magical fix all claims. Someone saying they get new Glocks in all the time and fixes them 100%, is he the only guy in the states that can fix this issue. Either way, I wish you the best and hope your problem gets fixed.

It would suck if you had a lemon/rare unfix able or maybe you offended some person on your block that studies witchcraft cursing your Glock forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 15:02   #51
SCmasterblaster

I have a gen 3 G17 and I shoot 115gr FMJRN reloads - no BTF at all.
Old 02-16-2013, 16:51   #52
Whazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bha0198 View Post
I recently got my G17 gen 4 back from Glock because of a BTF issue. They didn't fix it, and said I need to be shooting 124 grain ammo.

"The gen4 Glocks are made to be a military pistol and are built to handle a higher pressure load. The reason you are getting BTF is because you are shooting Winchester 115 grain." (Of which I have a bulk pack of 1000 of...)

Seriously?

I think you could say this about all 9mm's the 124 grain high pressure Euro load is the envelop around which they were all designed. I have not had issues with shooting lighter or heavier rounds - but to be completely squared away, selecting a 124 or 127 +p+ round is likely to be a smidgen more reliable than other selections... which is to say a 45acp is best fed a diet of 230 grain ammo vs 165/185etc..to be a self confessed hypocrite..., my P7 - with me now is holding BLP 115 +P+... never had a failure with this HP design over several cases of ammo in several different 9mm's... my guess is that Gen 4's are more sensitive to limp wristing than the earlier designs...
Whazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:01   #53
bha0198

Again, I had a very experienced Glock shooter shoot a few magazines through it and the EXACT same thing happened.

And then I shot HIS Glock and it DIDN'T happen. So limp wristing is out.

Jesus.

Old 02-16-2013, 18:15   #54
Buckshot Barry

I feel for you. Please check out my thread and how I cured my BTF. With pictures.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1450148
Buckshot Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:23   #55
Beretta92guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLglockdude View Post
That's a bunch of BS. There are too many other guns out there that are as good and better than a Glock to have to put up with that crap. Sell it and buy something from a company that stands behind their product.

Sent from my Obama phone.
no truer words have been spoken
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 20:25   #56
TTex
Cannon Fodder

While I know the brass to the face is a problem I cant say I blame the employee for saying "use better ammo" after all if they shot 4 full mags through it and didn't have a problem then exactly what were they supposed to fix? From their point of view there are a lot of people out there that will read something on the internet and all of the sudden they have a problem. I'm not saying the OP falls into this category, but none-the-less there are a ton of people out there that are that way. This is why I usually go the fix-it-yourself route. I am the one that sees the problem, and I know how bad it is. I put a White Sound H.E.R.D. extractor spring and a factory nondipped LCI extractor. That combination seems to have taken care of my problems with the wife's G19g4. After reading some of the advise posted here I took it upon myself to fix the issue. I prefer to work on the problem myself to trying to explain an intermittent problem to some guy that's just trying to satisfy as many customers as possible in the shortest amount of time possible.
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 20:29   #57
bha0198

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTex View Post
While I know the brass to the face is a problem I cant say I blame the employee for saying "use better ammo" after all if they shot 4 full mags through it and didn't have a problem then exactly what were they supposed to fix? From their point of view there are a lot of people out there that will read something on the internet and all of the sudden they have a problem. I'm not saying the OP falls into this category, but none-the-less there are a ton of people out there that are that way. This is why I usually go the fix-it-yourself route. I am the one that sees the problem, and I know how bad it is. I put a White Sound H.E.R.D. extractor spring and a factory nondipped LCI extractor. That combination seems to have taken care of my problems with the wife's G19g4. After reading some of the advise posted here I took it upon myself to fix the issue. I prefer to work on the problem myself to trying to explain an intermittent problem to some guy that's just trying to satisfy as many customers as possible in the shortest amount of time possible.
Thanks for the info. I would like to take the same route. But, this is my first firearm. I don't know if I feel comfortable modifying it myself. That's where I run into a wall. Maybe I will try.

Old 02-16-2013, 20:36   #58
TTex
Cannon Fodder

Well I respect that. I'm a mechanic by trade so I do have some confidence in fixing things myself, but really the Glock is such a simple design you shouldn't have to much problems trying a couple of simple parts swaps. Also it will give you confidence that you can disassemble the entire assembly should the need arise.
Good luck

P.S. I stuck with Glock because the design is simple and sound, and in the scheme of things erratic ejection does not shut the pistol down.
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 23:31   #59
glocktecher

Trying to figure out where the heck I can get some FMJ 124 gr +p to practice with?
glocktecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:40   #60
Tree Rat
CRB original

Send a message via Yahoo to Tree Rat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Glock employer? Who employs Glock?

Seriously, Winchester USA 115-gr should do fine in any 9mm Glock. Federal Champion 115-gr FMJ is questionably in any new 9mm pistol regardless of make or model.
FAIL. None of the ammo is questionably in my pistols.......

TR

Last edited by Tree Rat; 02-17-2013 at 01:54..
Tree Rat is offline   Reply With Quote