GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:01   #26
Adjuster

So far I am very impressed with my new Chromebook. I especially like the on/off switch built into the lid closure. If the book is turned off when you open the lid it is booted and online in 20 seconds. If the book is on and you close the lid it goes to sleep and when you open the lid it is up and running instantly. It is a dream for web surfing, web shopping and email. So far appears to be great for watching movies on Amazon Prime and Crackel. I have only had it for a single day but if I am forced to come up with one complaint it would be the low volume speakers. They just don't seem to be loud enough for my liking but it is possible I haven't figured out how to adjust them correctly yet. The biggest benefit of my Acer Chromebook is its simplicity and ease of use. I took it out of the box, opened the lid, entered in my Google account email and password, entered my wifi password and that was it. Up and running, there are essentially no settings other than the normal Chrome browser settings. So far I am very pleased.

/
Adjuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 18:35   #27
wcarter4

Thanks for the update. I think I'm pretty much sold.
wcarter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36   #28
naskdn

chromebook is cheap and it can help you get things done faster and easier. some chromebooks models here, have a look, see the specs
naskdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57   #29
Adjuster

I'm loving my Acer C7. One of my newly discovered favorites is the touch mouse pad. I had a 10 year old laptop prior so maybe all new laptops come with this better touch pad. 1 finger tap is a left click, 2 finger tap is a right click and a 2 finger hold is left, right, up, down scroll. No more mouse buttons.

/

/
Adjuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58   #30
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

I've downloaded Chrome OS a couple of times. Both the CD and the flash memory versions. I'm trying to get it to run from an SD flash memory card in my 2008 netbook. No luck so far. I did try the CD but my USB CD drive is a bit funny sometimes. I do want to try it out. It is based on OpenSuse Linux. Some people have gotten it to run on full power laptops but they say it's really not designed for that and may not work. Right now I'm just having trouble getting it in bootable form on the flash memory.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54   #31
tuoinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
I've downloaded Chrome OS a couple of times. Both the CD and the flash memory versions. I'm trying to get it to run from an SD flash memory card in my 2008 netbook. No luck so far. I did try the CD but my USB CD drive is a bit funny sometimes. I do want to try it out. It is based on OpenSuse Linux. Some people have gotten it to run on full power laptops but they say it's really not designed for that and may not work. Right now I'm just having trouble getting it in bootable form on the flash memory.
Have you tried one of the vanilla chromium builds? I was able to get one of the OS images to run in a virtual environment such as virtualbox or vmware. They have download options on their site: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

To answer the OP question, I also recently purchased the Samsung chromebook. I would consider myself a power user... so I need particular software, performance, etc. For what the Chromebook does, I love it. Fast-booting, great browser, downloadable "apps" which are basically just web HTML5 apps. You can access any of them you'd like to try before you purchase a chromebook by simply getting them through your chrome browser. One thing I was somewhat disappointed in was that you cannot stream Netflix yet. It uses a microsoft silverlight plugin that is currently not compatible with Chrome OS. As others have mentioned, Hulu works great.

In conclusion. It's not a do-all super computer (of course). It's a greatly priced portable laptop to do what it is advertised to do well. Access the web, web apps, google suite through the cloud easily. For your purpose, I would say do it... press the trigger and love it!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50   #32
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuoinside View Post
Have you tried one of the vanilla chromium builds? I was able to get one of the OS images to run in a virtual environment such as virtualbox or vmware. They have download options on their site: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

To answer the OP question, I also recently purchased the Samsung chromebook. I would consider myself a power user... so I need particular software, performance, etc. For what the Chromebook does, I love it. Fast-booting, great browser, downloadable "apps" which are basically just web HTML5 apps. You can access any of them you'd like to try before you purchase a chromebook by simply getting them through your chrome browser. One thing I was somewhat disappointed in was that you cannot stream Netflix yet. It uses a microsoft silverlight plugin that is currently not compatible with Chrome OS. As others have mentioned, Hulu works great.

In conclusion. It's not a do-all super computer (of course). It's a greatly priced portable laptop to do what it is advertised to do well. Access the web, web apps, google suite through the cloud easily. For your purpose, I would say do it... press the trigger and love it!
I got the downloads here.

https://sites.google.com/site/chromeoslinux/home

http://getchrome.eu/download.php

Oh and it isn't based on OpenSuse Linux. Thought I had read that it was at some time.

Tags
budget, chromebook, laptop, windows