Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:27   #1
arthur007

Blackhawk Serpa Sportster Paddle Holster Glock 19/23 (Pros and Cons)

GlockTalk is the best destination for your Trip with Glock Holsters

If you are appearing for the engagement of manufacture of your Glock pistol, the very well people at GlockTalk.

Carry Issues
Hi Friends I am use the Blackhawk Serpa Sportster Paddle Holster Glock 19/23. I am wondering if someone in addition has understanding with this holster and what may be the pros/cons of the user.
arthur007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44   #2
Hyena

I carry one on duty. Pros: It's fast, easy to use. Cons: if you don't practice with it in a high stress situation you may shoot yourself. And for a LEO it's easy to use for other people I don't like going hands on with it.

I had a Glock rep as a firearms instructor at the academy. He told us never ever carry with the serpa. He said that when the serpa came out that accidental officer shootings increased 100%. I don't have a choice I have to use what my department issues. I have used it for some of our force on force training and so far haven't shot myself.
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:53   #3
arthur007

Yes i agree with your statement that It's fast, easy to use.

Thanks Hyena!

Last edited by arthur007; 02-13-2013 at 04:56..
Old 02-13-2013, 06:53   #4
yellowlabsrule

I have one... I would not trust it 100%...There are stories of the gun getting stuck, because a piece of debris or rock getting stuck in the lock.
yellowlabsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:15   #5
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Your glock rep was fabricating information. In the real world, it's as safe as the average holster. Anyone who has problems with them really doesn't need to be carrying a gun, or at least needs additional training. The position of the release button is such that it requires the finger to be properly indexed, not near the trigger. They are in use by the thousands by law enforcement for casual or 5.11 use. Safety is not one of the downsides of this holster in real world use, at least in the hands of LE or other trained shooters. Now, let's talk about actual downsides of the holster (not to be confused with the fictional deathtrap depiction posted from so many grandmother's basements): They stick out, and just aren't good for concealment except under a bulky cover garment. They simply aren't priced or manufactured to be used as a police duty holster. Costing a third or a quarter of what a good safariland duty holster costs, they're about a third or a quarter as strong if you're dealing with a concerted effort to remove the holster from the bearer and the weapon is not protected.

In summary- not a bad budget holster. This holster in no way causes or contributes to AD/ND. Unfortunately for some, this holster in no way prevents or safeguards against users drawing their gun and pulling the trigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
I carry one on duty. Pros: It's fast, easy to use. Cons: if you don't practice with it in a high stress situation you may shoot yourself. And for a LEO it's easy to use for other people I don't like going hands on with it.

I had a Glock rep as a firearms instructor at the academy. He told us never ever carry with the serpa. He said that when the serpa came out that accidental officer shootings increased 100%. I don't have a choice I have to use what my department issues. I have used it for some of our force on force training and so far haven't shot myself.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17   #6
bug

If something goes wrong it can be a nightmare to get gun out, like if you are ground fighting with someone and it get filled with dirt.
Also as other said there have been a lot of cases of folks shooting them self when using it...
I know a top notch professional shooter personally that had this happen.
It was his fault but the holster made the mistake easier.
I also hear that if pulled on from the side in a quick motion down and away they will break in half allowing a thug a path to your weapon if you are using it for duty use.
I have one and have used it without incident but only for range duty when no stress is involved.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50   #7
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

the only place "a lot of people" have shot themselves using serpas is on the Internet. And the guy you know is far from a "top professional" if he shot himself with this holster. Or any other holster, for that matter. You were, however, accurate when you stated that its not the absolute sturdiest option available. Not any less safe than the average budget holster. But far from top of the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
If something goes wrong it can be a nightmare to get gun out, like if you are ground fighting with someone and it get filled with dirt.
Also as other said there have been a lot of cases of folks shooting them self when using it...
I know a top notch professional shooter personally that had this happen.
It was his fault but the holster made the mistake easier.
I also hear that if pulled on from the side in a quick motion down and away they will break in half allowing a thug a path to your weapon if you are using it for duty use.
I have one and have used it without incident but only for range duty when no stress is involved.

Last edited by Ryobi; 02-13-2013 at 08:51..
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49   #8
21GlockStreet

Front Sight academy does not allow Serpa style holsters.
http://www.frontsight.com/courses/de...ing-course.asp
21GlockStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53   #9
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Neither does the FLETC basic (read newbie) academy firearms program. Folks with no skill just learning to shoot fast, particularly under pressure, need every edge to compensate for their inadequate weapon handling skills. The counterterrorism side, and advanced firearms courses still allows them. If you're unsure of your ability to safely handle a loaded firearm, no holster which requires skill or dexterity to release the weapon is suitable for you. But then, you'd probably be too busy putting corks on the end of all your dinner forks to get around to shooting.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 02-13-2013 at 10:53..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 15:02   #10
bug

Quote:
<b>the only place "a lot of people" have shot themselves using serpas is on the Internet. And the guy you know is far from a "top professional" if he shot himself with this holster. Or any other holster, for that matter. You were, however, accurate when you stated that its not the absolute sturdiest option available. Not any less safe than the average budget holster. But far from top of the line. </b>
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug<br />
If something goes wrong it can be a nightmare to get gun out, like if you are ground fighting with someone and it get filled with dirt.<br />
Also as other said there have been a lot of cases of folks shooting them self when using it...<br />
I know a top notch professional shooter personally that had this happen.<br />
It was his fault but the holster made the mistake easier.<br />
I also hear that if pulled on from the side in a quick motion down and away they will break in half allowing a thug a path to your weapon if you are using it for duty use. <br />
I have one and have used it without incident but only for range duty when no stress is involved.<br />
<br />
Fair enough... I know 2 people (that's a lot to me)that its happened to and they are both good safe shooters.
They are both good men... I am willing to bet money both are better shooters than most here.

They both admitted it was there fault and said as much
Everyone makes mistakes, everyone... I am not so cocky as to think it can't happen to me.
I simply stated my thoughts and experiences with the holster take and do what you want with info.
Its poor design and there is a reason many schools and PD around the country have banned it use...
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:18   #11
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

This. At the average interagency training/advance/etc. where 5.11's or jeans are worn (in other words- not blues, not concealment), 7 out of 10 guys will be wearing a serpa. Extremely widespread use. But I think the folks that point out that a total mouth breather might manage to shoot themselves regardless of the holster are posting good info- novices need to know when there are safety problems. In this case, they have nothing to do with the holster and everything to do with the user, but if someone cooks one off in their leg, I still want to know what holster they were using. This concludes the broacasting day of TGBN (the Tex Grebner Broadcasting Network)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
the only place "a lot of people" have shot themselves using serpas is on the Internet. And the guy you know is far from a "top professional" if he shot himself with this holster. Or any other holster, for that matter. You were, however, accurate when you stated that its not the absolute sturdiest option available. Not any less safe than the average budget holster. But far from top of the line.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36   #12
Hedo1

I own a few of them and like them. I've used them for years with the G19 in lot's of different conditions. I can say with sincerity that I've not experienced the problems that are reported on the internet. I find it quick to use and it provides moderate retention which is more then most will need.

I took a retention class with a Serpa in belt carry configuration. Class was 8 hrs. The holster survived no problem despite dozens of attempted grabs. One of the features that I like is that engaging the release by someone other then the shooter is difficult. From the front or side it's a two handed proposition. From the back it requires the grabber to be right next to you. This features aids in retaining your pistol a great deal. My class was mostly LEO. I would say as a group we all shared that opinion of the Serpa.
Old 02-14-2013, 18:16   #13
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur007 View Post
GlockTalk is the best destination for your Trip with Glock Holsters

If you are appearing for the engagement of manufacture of your Glock pistol, the very well people at GlockTalk.

Carry Issues
Hi Friends I am use the Blackhawk Serpa Sportster Paddle Holster Glock 19/23. I am wondering if someone in addition has understanding with this holster and what may be the pros/cons of the user.
Nice-looking rig. The G19 works.
Old 02-14-2013, 21:06   #14
garebel

Anyone who has one in a LH Glock 9/40, or a Beretta 92, and wants to unload it for a decent price can pm me.
I love livin' dangerously
Old 02-15-2013, 05:10   #15
arthur007

Fobus Paddle Holster Left Hand Black 5" Beretta 92F BR2LH

Love it....

Fobus Standard Left Hand Holster Beretta 92, 96 (Except Brig & Elite), Taurus 92, 99, 101, CZ75B 9mm

Carry Issues

> Beretta 92 next to Bianchi Nylon Belt Holster

Carry Issues Carry Issues Carry Issues
Old 02-15-2013, 05:33   #16
cesaros

Love mine. Light/Fast

Learn to index your weapon (if you don't already), and there will be no cons.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:49   #17
Southswede

Some people should not be armed with anything more dangerous than a box of color crayons.......
Southswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26   #18
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southswede View Post
Some people should not be armed with anything more dangerous than a box of color crayons.......
So true!
Old 02-16-2013, 14:46   #19
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Lots of haters of the SERPA. Lots of places do not allow it as they also train "lowest common denomater" If you mate SERPA with a gun like Glock (that goes bang every time you pull trigger on loaded gun) and folks who can't keep finger off of trigger. (esp when reholstering/touching trigger on draw)
Practice unloaded slow, finger does NOT bend in to push button. It should be basicly flat on release. You MUST push release before you are lifting up. If you expect to roll in sand/dirt consider another holster. If you are not going to practice (starting unloaded, moving to range use) consider another holster.
Its a very reasonably priced holster. Many people buy/use them. Everyone from new gun owner to high speed folks. Like the Glock (in many ways) for similar reasons.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 14:51   #20
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
Lots of haters of the SERPA. Lots of places do not allow it as they also train "lowest common denomater" If you mate SERPA with a gun like Glock (that goes bang every time you pull trigger on loaded gun) and folks who can't keep finger off of trigger. (esp when reholstering/touching trigger on draw)
Practice unloaded slow, finger does NOT bend in to push button. It should be basicly flat on release. You MUST push release before you are lifting up. If you expect to roll in sand/dirt consider another holster. If you are not going to practice (starting unloaded, moving to range use) consider another holster.
Its a very reasonably priced holster. Many people buy/use them. Everyone from new gun owner to high speed folks. Like the Glock (in many ways) for similar reasons.
The 8-pack of crayons. You know, the fat ones so the kids can get a good hold on them?
Southswede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glock holster, holsters, leather holster, leather slide holster