Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 21:00   #1
Neocon

7.62 X 39mm out of bolt guns

CZ and Ruger make compact bolt guns that shoot the 7.62 X 39. I'm thinking of purchasing one for my son for his first deer rifle. My thinking is that he could burn up cheep ammo practicing and then use some good stuff when in the deer stand.
Today I asked the counter guy about the CZ he said. "You don't want to do that. 7.62 X 39mm is so inaccurate that your son won't be able to get affective practice?"
So my question is. REALLY the boy is ten. Is that round so inaccurate that at 50 yards its going to be not worthy to shoot?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Neocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 22:05   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

With the right ammo it would be fine. There is nothing inherently inaccurate about 7.62x39mm.

Would probably make a decent little deer gun with minimal recoil.

My dad deer hunts with his AK on occasion just for kicks.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 22:18   #3
bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neocon View Post
CZ and Ruger make compact bolt guns that shoot the 7.62 X 39. I'm thinking of purchasing one for my son for his first deer rifle. My thinking is that he could burn up cheep ammo practicing and then use some good stuff when in the deer stand.
Today I asked the counter guy about the CZ he said. "You don't want to do that. 7.62 X 39mm is so inaccurate that your son won't be able to get affective practice?"
So my question is. REALLY the boy is ten. Is that round so inaccurate that at 50 yards its going to be not worthy to shoot?
I can hit a 9 in steal plate at 100yds all day with a SKS standing off hand
I think your gun shop guy sucks at shooting and is trying to pass it off on you,
I never owned the CZ but I hear they are very nice shooters.. buy what you want. your boy will be ecstatic.
will you adopt me?
Old 02-12-2013, 22:25   #4
AsSeenOnTV

Better off getting him a 30-30 then. Same ballistics, and easier to find loads made for deer than the 7.62x39. But there is so much better choices one could make for a dear rifle that doesn't have a lot of recoil, but can shoot much flatter at longer distances to make it a more versatile gun. But its your money, so enjoy

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 02-12-2013 at 22:28..
AsSeenOnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 22:26   #5
dkf

I am not seeing why the 7.62x39 in a bolt gun would not have decent accuracy. Will be more than good enough for deer hunting. There are some better brass cased rounds available for hunting also. Rem Express 125gr PSP, Win Super-X 123gr SP, fed Power Shok 123gr SP, Corbon "Hunter" Line and several others.

The SKS I have would have no problem placing an accurate shot on a deer.

Last edited by dkf; 02-12-2013 at 22:31..
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 22:47   #6
den308
NOT A COOK

In my 56-s; AK semi, Chinese ammo won't hold the eight ring at 200 yards. With Russian ammo the rifle will hold the nine ring at the same range. Makes your rifle a two minute rifle, with hand loads or some factory loads you should be in good shape.
Old 02-13-2013, 00:37   #7
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Neocon,

Quote:
7.62 X 39mm out of bolt guns

Amigo,

You do what ya wanna do with this, but the "counter Guy" at the store is sadly mistaken about the 7.62x39 being inaccurate.

Out of all the guns we got out here, my son will "sometimes" grab the Chineese SKS. He has shot more deer even at 100yds in the neck, yes, I said the neck. We do shoot a great deal out here and always have. Lead flys pretty much every day with several calibers.

Point being, even with Russian soft point ammo, he cleanly takes deer with lung and neck shots from close to far, with this caliber, and out of an SKS.

I grabbed the gun a few times and found I shot it with the standard open sights at 100yds, almost (not quite) as well as i do with my long time old buddy Remington 7mm rem mag with a Zeiss scope ! I can cover three shots out of the 7mm rem mag at 100yds with a dime/nickel, and with a poker chip out of the SKS.

This is a very good caliber for deer, aout like a 30-30. I have never shot one in a bolt action, but bolts usually being more accurate than semi's, I would think it would be a very accurate rifle for ya. If my son can do what he does with a SKS and Russian ammo, I see no reason a good bolt rifle and even better ammo (like winchester soft point) wouldn't do just fine.

Good luck to ya, and don't listen to anyone tell you this caliber out to 100yds is not accurate... that is total bull. It is very accurate.

We have, as we do all our guns, rifle and handguns, shoot out to 600yds at the back side of the ranch in the lower canyon fingers. This caliber does great at even several hundred yards with open SKS sights. I hold a pretty decent group at 300yds with it plenty tight enough for a lung shot deer.

Good luck pard.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 00:43   #8
unit1069

I can't tell you the number of times I've been at the range with my SKS when someone walks up to me to say he loves his SKS for hunting, mostly deer.

And the times I've been in the deep woods and encountered others I'm given to understand that the SKS or variants like the AK-47 are great for wild hogs and black bear.

I just look on it as a great woods self-defense rifle against all two- and four-legged predators for the times I'm out and about in the forest.

Last edited by unit1069; 02-13-2013 at 00:46..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 00:55   #9
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post

Amigo,

You do what ya wanna do with this, but the "counter Guy" at the store is sadly mistaken about the 7.62x39 being inaccurate.

Out of all the guns we got out here, my son will "sometimes" grab the Chineese SKS. He has shot more deer even at 100yds in the neck, yes, I said the neck. We do shoot a great deal out here and always have. Lead flys pretty much every day with several calibers.
I have to go with you here, amigo.

I have a good friend who owns a Chinese SKS and he can hit bullseye all day long at 50 yards without any effort or hesitation and at 100 yards comes pretty close to his accuracy at 50 yards without any major adjustments in his sighting.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22   #10
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I have to go with you here, amigo.

I have a good friend who owns a Chinese SKS and he can hit bullseye all day long at 50 yards without any effort or hesitation and at 100 yards comes pretty close to his accuracy at 50 yards without any major adjustments in his sighting.

Yes sir. They are far more accurate (most of the SKS's) than folks are willing to give them credit for. Makes a great little deer rifle, especially as here in the OP's case for his 10 year old boy. Good start with that caliber, and again, I have found the EL Cheapo ammo has been killing deer by my older sons hand since he was a little kid with it, and now he's a daddy and still likes using out here 'at times.'

Be safe !

CanyonMan

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39   #11
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Here's a video review of the CZ:

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:32   #12
390ish

I have a Remington 799 in 7.62x39 that is just as accurate as any other basis factory bolt action I own --
390ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 19:26   #13
K.Kiser

If you have other firearms in that caliber and would like to kepp cartridge commonality, then I say it would be a solid purchase... The 7.69x39 will certainly kill deer out to 100+yards easily with the right load in the right placement, will minimal recoil..

In regard to accuracy, I'll bet with a good shooter and quality ammo either rifle will easily near 1" groups @ 100 yards...

As said there are other calibers that will fill this void more efficiently with lil' bit cheaper hunting ammo and better availability, but like I said if you already own this caliber I say do it.. I love those little Rugers and CZ's..

Last edited by K.Kiser; 02-13-2013 at 19:28..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 16:42   #14
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
Here's a video review of the CZ:

CZ 527 (7.62X39) - YouTube
Good video! Hickock 45 comes thru again.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 02-14-2013 at 16:53..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 19:24   #15
banjobob

I may be wrong but if memory serves the 7.62x39 and the winningest round in benchrest history, the 6 ppc, shares a common lineage the 220 Russian. I don't know if this means anything.
banjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:15   #16
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I may be wrong but if memory serves the 7.62x39 and the winningest round in benchrest history, the 6 ppc, shares a common lineage the 220 Russian. I don't know if this means anything.
Like its foreign cousin the .223 Remington, the 7.62x39 mm can be a very accurate round in the right rifles.