Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 20:08   #1
mlk3454
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
Washer for captured guide rod

I got an ISMI captured guide rod to mate with a 22lb recoil spring for my G20. The package came with a plastic/rubber type of washer and when installed with with the screw the spring bends it out almost around the screw. The screw by itself seems to hold the spring just fine....is this washer needed, it doesn't seem to be very effective as it is pliable with the spring in place.

The instructions do not note anything about a washer but they really are not very in depth instructions other than to put the spring on - add purple or blue loctite and screw in the screw at the end of the rod...any help is appreciated!
mlk3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10   #2
cciman
Senior Member
 
cciman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,543
Not all rods are made the same. Depends on the specs of the rod and washer. Best to call the maker, wan what springs they rec.

Sounds like you need the washer to hold the spring on, otherwise use a non-captive system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk3454 View Post
I got an ISMI captured guide rod to mate with a 22lb recoil spring for my G20. The package came with a plastic/rubber type of washer and when installed with with the screw the spring bends it out almost around the screw. The screw by itself seems to hold the spring just fine....is this washer needed, it doesn't seem to be very effective as it is pliable with the spring in place.

The instructions do not note anything about a washer but they really are not very in depth instructions other than to put the spring on - add purple or blue loctite and screw in the screw at the end of the rod...any help is appreciated!
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 13:27   #3
mlk3454
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
Makes sense and I'll probably end up calling but was curious if anyone had any experience with the ismi rod and sprung combo. It's the only one available from midway if I remember correctly.
mlk3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 14:11   #4
Pistolpete2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 35
I'm pretty sure the washer is for gen4 and u don't use the washer for gen3 or its the other way around
Pistolpete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 22:51   #5
cciman
Senior Member
 
cciman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
I'm pretty sure the washer is for gen4 and u don't use the washer for gen3 or its the other way around
There are dish-washers, car-washers, faucet washers, Gen3 washers, and then there are Gen4 adapters.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 22:53   #6
cciman
Senior Member
 
cciman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,543
The washer is only holding the spring on when the RSA is out of the gun. When installed, the slide will push on the spring in the opposite direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk3454 View Post
Makes sense and I'll probably end up calling but was curious if anyone had any experience with the ismi rod and sprung combo. It's the only one available from midway if I remember correctly.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 19:20   #7
mlk3454
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
The washer is only holding the spring on when the RSA is out of the gun. When installed, the slide will push on the spring in the opposite direction.
^ ^ ^ This is true.

Just an FYI for anyone that may end up with the same question as me...

I called the tech line for ISMI and spoke with a very nice gentleman regarding that washer. He told me that he personally doesn't use the washer in his guns and that they are there more for the use with non ISMI springs that have an inner diameter bigger than the ISMI bretheren. He did mention that Wolf springs most likely will need the washer. Furthermore, he noted when installing the spring there will always be a side with a tighter inner diameter and that side should be installed on the screw end.
mlk3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 19:41   #8
GRT45
Transform & Win
 
GRT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk3454 View Post
I called the tech line for ISMI and spoke with a very nice gentleman regarding that washer. He told me that he personally doesn't use the washer in his guns and that they are there more for the use with non ISMI springs that have an inner diameter bigger than the ISMI bretheren. He did mention that Wolf springs most likely will need the washer. Furthermore, he noted when installing the spring there will always be a side with a tighter inner diameter and that side should be installed on the screw end.
Thanks for contacting ISMI and posting the explanation. It's unfortunate that ISMI doesn't include that in the instructions shipped with the product. For such a critical part as the RSA, it makes no sense to leave customers wondering if the washer is required. If it's not required, I would definitely opt to leave it off.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:31.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 836
202 Members
634 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31