Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2014, 23:15   #1
Mountainview

Help picking which of my knives to take

I'm a bit of a knife junky and could use advice on which to keep in my bag. My plan is to keep three in there.

First: Esee 6
I own all of the large Esee knives and this is by far my favorite. It can do any task needed both large and small and weight isn't an issue for me.

Second: Mora SS
Food prep, wont' rust, backup for my 6.

The last one is where I'm having problems.

-EDC
-Leatherman Wave
-Swiss Fieldmaster

My EDC would be great, but I'm already taking two straight edge knives. Nice to have, but worth the weight without the versatility? 5 oz

The Leatherman Wave is fantastic, but it weights 8.5 oz. I could take the other two for the same weight.

I love the Swiss Fieldmaster which is only 3.5 oz and has a nice saw blade for emergencies, but would I be missing needed features from the Wave?
Mountainview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:31   #2
Protus

take where to do what?
woods only- leave multitool at home
mix/rural/urban-ghb- keep multitool

pick the fixed blade you like the best/does what you'll need it to do. dont take a 9 inch super knife if your gonna be cleaning tree rats and small brook trout ...and dont take the 3 inch folder if your gonna be dressing out a moose..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Protus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:38   #3
quake

I'm a fan of good multitools, especially the wave and the 300. But agree on needing info on "take" where, before making much recommendation..?

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56   #4
Mountainview

I hesitate to name the bag after the discussion in another thread, so I'll call it an emergency bag.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:00   #5
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainview View Post
I hesitate to name the bag after the discussion in another thread, so I'll call it an emergency bag.
I hear ya... but dont let some troll alter your presentation. The people who are likely to give you the best honest info are not likely to poke fun.

If it were me, I would carry the mora and a folding pocket knife. The RAT6 is a tank of a knife and weighs about as much. I have one and have carried it on several 3day camping trips and have never used it. I do however use my mora each and every time.

Last edited by FireForged; 02-12-2014 at 11:06..
FireForged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40   #6
Mountainview

I'm taking a Mora any place I go. I can't agree more.

Outside of the pliers is there much of an advantage of the Wave over a Swiss even in an urban environment? I could add a pair of needle nose pliers (.8 oz) and still almost save 1/4 of a pound.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:14   #7
itstime

If you have the 6 and Mora in the pack. And a good folder on you I would add the Multitool. You will have everything covered.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:42   #8
FireForged
Millenium #3936

more than 2 cutting tools is just overthinking it, in my humble opinion. I would pick (2) that will perform most thing fairly well and just deal with it.

I do believe in the right tool for the right project when you are talking about what you keep in the garage but I have a slightly different philosophy when it comes to mobile preparedness.
Old 02-12-2014, 14:41   #9
quake

Personally in my ghb, there's a sog seal pup and a leatherman supertool 300. I prefer a larger fixed-blade knife than that; but don't really believe a person needs larger, I just prefer it.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 14:47   #10
fastbolt

Since I don't have a 1-type-fits-all-jobs philosophy for screwdrivers, pliers or hammers ... I don't try to do so when it comes to blades.

I typically keep a 2 or 3 blade small/medium folder on me if I expect to be doing more general small-scale cutting, not needing a screwdriver, leather punch, scissors or light saw blade. Something like a 2, 3 or 4-blade folder (penknife, Congress, stockman, trapper, etc).

If I expect those other tasks? I have a useful collection of SAK's that may be pocketed, instead.

Regardless of whether I'm carrying a small/med folding knife or a SAK, I'll also be carrying a lockblade folder. Daily activities, clothing and other factors ... and often a simple preference ... have an influence on which LB folder I'll slip in my pants or jacket. Sometimes a couple of them of difference sizes are carried in colder weather.

My car (in both console/glovebox and an "overnight" bag in the trunk) carries larger folders, a couple extra SAK's and a couple different size fixed blades. If driving somewhere overnight or out-of-state? Then, my luggage will usually contain an optional LB folder and a fixed blade.

Often, 1 or more good quality multi-tools (different sizes) are somewhere in the veh mix, especially when traveling on the road.

I also travel with one or another DMT sharpening system. Knives are dangerous, but dull knives can present another type of danger that can be avoided.

I don't do any light day hikes anymore (well, maybe yet), but I'd not overdo things. I'd still carry a fixed blade of practical size (circumstances permitting), but the quality & availability of newer 2-action cutting (push/pull), lightweight folding & locking hand saws (as well as lightweight hatchets) means I won't be trying to make knives do tasks they don't need to do. I'd also have a small SAK or other pocket knife, and a decent LB folder.

If there was room and carry weight left over? A multi-tool, but probably one of the medium-sized combinations that's useful, without trying to stuff an entire toolbox into a cargo or backpack pocket.

Knives can suffer breakage or damage, or even become lost.

Ditto "emergency bags", or whatever you might wish to call them. (Doesn't matter to me, so suit yourself. )

I once had someone break into one of my cars and steal a backpack & waist pack from the trunk that contained almost a thousand dollars worth of equipment, tools & supplies, including a fixed blade knife and at least 1 SAK.

So, nowadays my normal daily activities and road time see simpler & less expensive "bags" & kits left in the cars (or motorcycle saddlebags). For longer roadtrips I put in the better gear & more complete bags, and they usually get removed from the car when parking overnight.

FWIW, over the years of driving marked patrol cars & unmarked plainclothes cars, I noticed my ideas of what was considered as necessary "equipment" to have in the trunk evolved quite a bit (both LE and non-LE specific stuff).
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 02-13-2014 at 13:16..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 14:47   #11
Lone Kimono

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Personally in my ghb, there's a sog seal pup and a leatherman supertool 300. I prefer a larger fixed-blade knife than that; but don't really believe a person needs larger, I just prefer it.
I own a Junglas, so it goes without saying I do as well

Randall said on the ESEE board once he likes SOG a lot, so the Pup is a good choice. He also said all anyone really needs is a folder and a machete.
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 17:55   #12
collim1
Shower Time!

I vote Mora, I now have two and have carried one around my neck when hunting for two seasons now. I have field dressed several deer with them and used them for many smaller tasks. They are scary sharp and while they don't hold an edge as long as some more robust knives, they are stupid simple to touch up in the field.

I vote Mora, they are good little knives.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:57   #13
RichJ

Mora 780 for the win.
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:05   #14
Aceman

I am a fan of "more knives" is more! And you can't have too many. It's the ONE tool I never want to be without.

I generally carry (not ddc, but when 'out'): Swiss Climber (x2), medium/large folder, and a large utility knife.

IN ADDITION - I also carry a multi-tool.

The mixture environment is a great comment. I am looking to upgrade my folder to a Gerber Supension with the screwdriver bit set.

If we are talking for BOB, 72hr, 150 mile bag or whatever, I think EDC and tool is the answer.

If I were "minimally" on my way out I'd have this:

- Swiss Climber (Stayglow) in survival pouch in cargo pocket
- Swiss CLimber in Left pocket
- Gerber Armor clipped somewhere (right pocket, belt, bag strap, etc...)
- Glock Field Knife on belt
- Multi-tool in Maxpedition Jumbo

Unless I end up naked without a bag, I'm not going to be without a knife.

- One is none
- Two is one
- Three is for me
- Four is even more
- Five to stay alive!

Add another pack, and there will be a knife of some sort in it.

Last edited by Aceman; 02-13-2014 at 11:13..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote