GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 09:15   #1
fendertele87
Senior Member
 
fendertele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 184
Hollow points?

I've searched the threads and couldn't find anything.....

I've noticed there are a lot of different hollow points out there. What would be the best or the most common preference be. Just looking to have somethig good for home defence and of course somethig for when I start to carry. Any input would be nice.
fendertele87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33   #2
bigtimelarry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 370
Speer Gold Dot is one of the most popular and Hornaday Critical Defense too
bigtimelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:02   #3
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 586
I recommend the modern bullet designs used by main stream law enforcement made by the major ammo manufacturers: Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T, Speer Gold Dot, and Remington Golden Saber. I carry the Federal HST in all the pistol calibers I use. Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:33   #4
firefighter4215
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,039
It's hard to go wrong with Federal HST. Speer Gold Dots are good as well.
firefighter4215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 18:28   #5
AZson
Senior Member
 
AZson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3,146
Also Winchester PDX1 a FBI favorite.
__________________
G17 G27 G29 G35 G38 NRA GSSF
NEED A GOOD GUN? See your local ATF (AKA F-troop) agent. He will get you one fast and furiously.
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 00:39   #6
GlockPistola
Senior Member
 
GlockPistola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 467
Another vote for the Federal HST.
__________________
The 2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
GlockPistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 00:53   #7
Gun Shark
Senior Member
 
Gun Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,061
Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark


I use Federal HST, Hornaday Tap, and Critical Defense.
__________________
It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

Last edited by Gun Shark; 08-19-2012 at 00:53..
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:35   #8
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Sam Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,104
The reason you're getting so many answers is that there isn't much difference in modern premium ammunition. (Eventually GD or Ranger will pull ahead in the thread, based largely on the effectiveness of their advertising.)

Doc Gary Roberts has made it simpler---he's tested and seen the results of more ammunition than any three posters in this thread (any two if Mas Ayoob chimes in). He doesn't bother to rank or assign values to loads. Instead, he provides a list of loads in the common calibers that get the job done well. Pick anything off his list, make sure it feeds and use the time you would have spent worrying in training instead.

I'd give you the lists, but you don't specify gun/caliber. So go google "Doc GKR ammo oracle" and pick what's applicable to you.
__________________
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:54   #9
fendertele87
Senior Member
 
fendertele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
The reason you're getting so many answers is that there isn't much difference in modern premium ammunition. (Eventually GD or Ranger will pull ahead in the thread, based largely on the effectiveness of their advertising.)

Doc Gary Roberts has made it simpler---he's tested and seen the results of more ammunition than any three posters in this thread (any two if Mas Ayoob chimes in). He doesn't bother to rank or assign values to loads. Instead, he provides a list of loads in the common calibers that get the job done well. Pick anything off his list, make sure it feeds and use the time you would have spent worrying in training instead.

I'd give you the lists, but you don't specify gun/caliber. So go google "Doc GKR ammo oracle" and pick what's applicable to you.
Thanks.. I'll check it out. I'm looking for 9mm tho. Just got a glock 19
fendertele87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 16:31   #10
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Sam Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,104
From http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De.../index.htm#9mm



If you take all of these criteria into account, the lists should come as no surprise. Please note that all of the recommended pistol loads listed below have been personally tested and vetted by Dr. Roberts. THEY ARE NOT IN ORDER OF PERFORMANCE, SO ANY BULLET ON THE LIST IS CONSIDERED ACCEPTABLE.
*

9mm
Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP** (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP** (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+** (RA9TA)
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP** (RA9T)
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP** (RA9B/Q4364)
Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P** (53617)
Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP** (53619)
Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Federal Tactical 124gr JHP** (LE9T1)
Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P** (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147gr JHP** (P9HST2)
Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)
__________________
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Last edited by Sam Spade; 08-19-2012 at 16:32..
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 13:43   #11
frizz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
From http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De.../index.htm#9mm



If you take all of these criteria into account, the lists should come as no surprise. Please note that all of the recommended pistol loads listed below have been personally tested and vetted by Dr. Roberts. THEY ARE NOT IN ORDER OF PERFORMANCE, SO ANY BULLET ON THE LIST IS CONSIDERED ACCEPTABLE.
*

9mm
Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP** (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP** (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+** (RA9TA)
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP** (RA9T)
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP** (RA9B/Q4364)
Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P** (53617)
Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP** (53619)
Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Federal Tactical 124gr JHP** (LE9T1)
Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P** (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147gr JHP** (P9HST2)
Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)
I think someone mentioned that you should fire the rounds to make sure that your gun eats them without jamming, and fires with good accuracy.

Then, you should consider how well YOU shoot a particular one.

This can be an expensive process because good HP ammo runs around $1/round, and you need to run a lot of rounds in your testing. I don't know how many is enough, but maybe someone here can offer a minimum quantity needed to test feeding.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 18:56   #12
FMF Doc
Member
 
FMF Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 36
I am using Remington Golden Saber 124gr standard pressure. I like BIG holes in my hollow points. That being said, I also started using Hornady TAP in 124gr standard pressure, and really like it. I think the 124gr standard pressure shoots point-of-aim/point-of-impact better than any other weight out of a Glock19. Another bonus with Hornady is that they come 25 to a pack, no just 20 like most premium JHP. That means 2 boxes fill your gun and the two spare mags with 4 left over. The really nice thing about it all is that any big name JHP is probably going to perform as advertised, and the Glock 19 is so reliable, I can't find something it won't shoot. Try out a couple different types and pick the one that you like best based on PIA/POI, recoil, flash, price and maybe most importantly...AVAILABILITY.
__________________
"A veteran is someone, who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check, 'Payable to the United States of America' for any amount 'Upto and including his life'."

If you want to thank a Veteran...GIVE HIM A JOB!

Last edited by FMF Doc; 08-22-2012 at 18:57..
FMF Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 21:10   #13
rednoved
NRA Member
 
rednoved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,275
I carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in my G19.
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 21:17   #14
rednoved
NRA Member
 
rednoved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Eventually GD or Ranger will pull ahead in the thread, based largely on the effectiveness of their advertising.
I can't remember the last time I've actually seen advertising for GD. Hornady is probably the most effective in their advertising, that or Winchester with their PDX line up. At least in my area. None of my local shops or big box stores even stock the GD 9mm +P 124gr.
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 18:30   #15
yamen1999
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 199
Buy a box of 2 or 3 different S\D ammo and run it threw you gun to see how it handles. I went with speer gold dot over dpx because the recoil on my G21 felt better. I than ran 2 more boxes of gold dot to make sure they feed reliably. It's expensive, but I'm betting my life on them, so I want to make sure it works.
yamen1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 18:59   #16
BuzznRose
Senior Member
 
BuzznRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 339
These folks always carry a great selection of the best ammo at excellent prices: http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol...ition/9mm-9x19
__________________
"The wolf cares not, how many the sheep be." Plato
BuzznRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 19:07   #17
PettyOfficer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznRose View Post
These folks always carry a great selection of the best ammo at excellent prices: http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol...ition/9mm-9x19
I've found SGAmmo to have the best prices when I shopped them 3 weeks ago.
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 13:22   #18
stillborn86
Member
 
stillborn86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 65
Send a message via AIM to stillborn86 Send a message via Skype™ to stillborn86
I tend to gravitate to bonded rounds. Speer makes the Gold Dot, and Winchester makes the PDX1. Better barrier penetration with zero jacket separation. They both offer GREAT expansion in just about all calibers and I always carry the PDX1 in .40 S&W in my G23. I also look for something that has a low muzzle flash so the first shot doesn't ruin my "purple vision" when shooting at night. The PDX1 seems to be great at that.

If you want to actually see backyard-ballistics tests, I'm going to suggest tnoutdoors9. He does a TON of tests with a BUNCH of rounds in a BUNCH of calibers. His older tests are in wet-pack, but his SIMTEST media shows a TON of info about expansion and stretch cavities. He is very thorough and smart about how he does his tests. I watched ALL of his videos trying to decide what I wanted to carry...
stillborn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 13:35   #19
PettyOfficer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,008
Temporary 'stretch' cavities caused by semi-auto pistol calibers are not statistically significant in the capability of a round to damage human organs.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 17:59   #20
fendertele87
Senior Member
 
fendertele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillborn86 View Post

If you want to actually see backyard-ballistics tests, I'm going to suggest tnoutdoors9.
Ya.. Watch his videos all the time.

Right now I'm using Hordany Critical Duty
fendertele87 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,046
283 Members
763 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42