Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2013, 18:46   #1
deathrunner60

Interested in night sights

I'm interested in getting some quality night sights for my G21. I'm curious as to which color is easiest to see in the darkness and what product would give me the most value for the best price. Just fishin' for some opinions. Any and all info regarding night sights would be appreciated.
deathrunner60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 18:57   #2
Badwolf75

I went with XS 24/7 big dots for my 19. You aim by "doting the I". Dot front and line rear. So no issue with color ect. Really liking then so far.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Badwolf75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:10   #3
willieH

I agree with BadWolf. Having a few different types of night sights, I like the BigDot best for quick sight acquisition. However, I also equip my defensive handguns with lasers.

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Last edited by willieH; 02-11-2013 at 19:11..
willieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:20   #4
freezetime

Ive got a set of the classic Trijicon GL-01's on order.

Not my pic, but a good one for what sight picture looks like.
freezetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 20:10   #5
Scrappy

http://www.topgunsupply.com/ameriglo...een-green.html
Scrappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 20:14   #6
GRT45
Transform & Win

If your eyesight is typical, green is likely to be easiest to see in low light. The spectral sensitivity graph below tells the story.

Spectral Sensitivity Diagram of the Human Eye

There is a good reason that most night sight manufacturers use green tritium lamps on their front sight.

I've owned, tested and trained with a few configurations (five to be exact) of iron sights on a subcompact Glock pistol that serves double duty for conceal carry and home defense. The night sights I liked the most are AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro (green front, amber on the rear sight). They are excellent for use in varying lighting conditions at short range (under 15 yards) and still function effectively for target shooting at longer ranges.

You can read my review of the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro sights with some pictures at this link: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...73&postcount=5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 02-11-2013 at 20:23..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 20:43   #7
DASA

I can second the excellent advice from GRT45 and Scrappy. Ameriglo makes a very nice set of sights for not much money, and Top Gun Supply are really nice folks to deal with.

I have a set of these on a G17 and really like them as well:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/ameriglo...ack-green.html

The orange stands out in the daylight, and at night the green Tritium glows nice and bright.

Cheaper prices than buying direct from Ameriglo too!
DASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 20:44   #8
rdunk

TRUGLO Brite-Site Tritium Fiber Optic, Green/Green

Bright in daylight, as well as glow in the dark!
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 20:46   #9
copo9560

Take a look here for a couple different sight pictures.
http://imgur.com/a/KdjPQ#0
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 20:53   #10
Mr KV

I went with AmeriGlo Pro Operator rears with the Pro-Glo front. Pretty good imo.

I believe AmeriGlo still has there GSSF discount code active also.

Last edited by Mr KV; 02-11-2013 at 20:54..
Mr KV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:46   #11
SouthernBoyVA

I have tried four different sets of sights on several of my primary gen3 Glocks (two G23's and a G19), and have found that the Trijicon night sights (GL01) work the best for me and here's why.

First let me say which sights I have tried. The standard factory Glock sight, the factory Glock night sights, Warren Sevigny Tactical night sights, and Trijicon GL01 night sights. The standard factory sights let too little light around the front post to the rear aperture. For me, this makes sight alignment difficult in all but the most optimum conditions. The Glock factory night sights are pretty much the same as the standard sights when shooting in normal light conditions. The front post of the Warren Sevigny Tactical night sights is too thin which makes centering the post in the rear aperture more difficult plus the rear sight has sharp edges and the front post is too high.

The Trijicon GL01 night sights are low profile, snag free, and the lamps are small and don't take over in daylight conditions with big dots. Most important to me, the front post is near perfect for the compact G19 and G23 in its passage of light around it to the rear aperture. This makes sight alignment quicker and more accurate and improves the sight picture overall.

Just my opinion, but these sights are the best compliment to my primary carry Glocks.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:11   #12
danysw

I have the Tuglo TFO installed in almost all my handguns, perfect for day and night. More than 20'000 rounds between all of them without any failure.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31   #13
GicleeOne

XS big dots for me, my old eyes need all the help they can get picking up the front sight and these work very well for me in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GicleeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:48   #14
LUKY-DUDE

Truglo the TFO best day or night. Great service .
LUKY-DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05   #15
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

I've tried many sight set ups,.....keep going back to Meprolight
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:15   #16
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

My experience has shown that either Trijicon or Meprolites work best for me.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18   #17
eagle15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUKY-DUDE View Post
Truglo the TFO best day or night. Great service .
Saw the Tru Glo TFO in my LGS yesterday and they look nice. How do they hold up to oil or solvent.
eagle15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28   #18
Fen

I also prefer the trijicon 3-dots
Fen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:44   #19
deathrunner60

Excellent!! Thank you all for the replies. I do appriciate it. I will continue my search with the help of this added info and make my decision shortly. This is just one fine weapon.
deathrunner60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:53   #20
D.R.D.

While green is the easiest color to see most of the time (ambient light, colors, and contrast will affect this), our brains ability to perceive color and detail decreases significantly under stress. The same way we loose fine motor skills, and are left with gross motor skills when experiencing the an increased stress situation, our eyes shift from controlling the receptors for color variation to using contrast (black/white or black/green, like night-vision). So, green lamps are good, maybe for peripherally indexing a firearm when bringing it up to target, yet there are very few light conditions that will have them be useful when facing a threat.

In a threatened state, our focus will naturally and instinctual be drawn to the target, not on the sights. Moreover, the most important aspect of sights aligning your bore is going to be properly identifying the target! You can't do that very well in the dim/twilight conditions where tritium night lamps are best seen. What you need is a sighting system that will naturally align your sights while you identify and focus on the target...especially a set-up that uses contrast rather than color. This is best accomplished with some sort of tac-light source.

Here is an example of high color contrast (in daylight), which is great for specific aimed fire, or maybe competition (not too stressed ;-) in a well lit environment.

Here is what that same sight will likely look like in a low light situation, in the middle of the night, without your glasses or contacts on, focused on the target, unable to see details of color, nor tritium, but clearly able to identify the threat and align the sights using the contrast of their shape and cone of a good tac light.

I suppose a laser may be helpful here in a target focused situation, but only if the light you use to identify the target doesn't wash-out the laser. Again, a green-colored laser would likely be preferable.

Last edited by D.R.D.; 02-12-2013 at 19:56..
D.R.D. is offline   Reply With Quote