GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 18:47   #1
MSims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 606
noticed cruciform flaking?

I went to clean my glock today and only 150 rounds thru it i see on top of the cruciform alittle bubbling so i went to rub it to think its oil but the bubble flaked off... Like alittle shaving came off the cruciform... Any ideas? Never seen in any of my glocks... only seen on the rail sometimes...


General Glocking

Last edited by MSims; 02-10-2013 at 18:53..
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 20:27   #2
spartanranger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 149
Yeah I had that problem too. Glock has played around with a couple different ways of coating/finishing the internal parts. One of the older ways (and we aren't talking about very long) was plating it. The quality of it is horrible though and on every single glock of mine that had that plating it came off. Now the new parts come in a gray finish that is easily polishable and wont flake since it is not plated. I would recommend going to the non-plated version, which is their current version. If you talk to glock cs they should send you a new one. I already replaced all of mine.
spartanranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 20:41   #3
MSims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanranger View Post
Yeah I had that problem too. Glock has played around with a couple different ways of coating/finishing the internal parts. One of the older ways (and we aren't talking about very long) was plating it. The quality of it is horrible though and on every single glock of mine that had that plating it came off. Now the new parts come in a gray finish that is easily polishable and wont flake since it is not plated. I would recommend going to the non-plated version, which is their current version. If you talk to glock cs they should send you a new one. I already replaced all of mine.

Is it a problem to carry and shoot couple more thousand rounds? Or i have to replace?
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02   #4
WayneJessie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by msims View Post
i went to clean my glock today and only 150 rounds thru it i see on top of the cruciform alittle bubbling so i went to rub it to think its oil but the bubble flaked off... Like alittle shaving came off the cruciform... Any ideas? Never seen in any of my glocks... Only seen on the rail sometimes...


General Glocking
wow...
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29   #5
lyodbraun
Senior Member
 
lyodbraun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,470
put your slide back on and shoot it.. nothing Id worry to much about...
lyodbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44   #6
MrVvrroomm
Senior Member
 
MrVvrroomm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Shakopee, MN USA
Posts: 3,282
stop using Hoppe's #9
__________________
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:51   #7
MSims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVvrroomm View Post
stop using Hoppe's #9
Never use hoppes in any of my Glocks and this has only 150 rounds shot since new actually just came from the range and shot it for the first time 150 rounds to go clean it when I discovered that...

And thats your best advice for a glock armorer?

Last edited by MSims; 02-11-2013 at 11:19..
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 13:11   #8
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
put your slide back on and shoot it.. nothing Id worry to much about...
This. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 13:30   #9
MSims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
put your slide back on and shoot it.. nothing Id worry to much about...

Ok will do... Was just curious if anybody else has that on there glocks...
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 13:32   #10
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: US
Posts: 31,917
Never seen that part do it, would suggest a plating error.
You can leave it as is, lightly polish or replace the trigger bar assy.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 13:57   #11
MSims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 606
I guess that area has no effect on the functionality... I guess the striker rides on it to lock in the rear... I guess if the rear was flaking where it holds the striker and was changing the dimensions then it would possibly be an issue...
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 15:08   #12
TheGlockTalker
Senior Member
 
TheGlockTalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVvrroomm View Post
stop using Hoppe's #9

Ok i gotta ask. Whay's wrong with Hoppes?
I've used it for years cleaning Glocks, 1911s, Sigs etc.
Never noticed any problems.
TheGlockTalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 16:05   #13
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSims View Post
Ok will do... Was just curious if anybody else has that on there glocks...
I have a G 22 like that,I noticed it about three years ago and haven't thought it again. So I just pulled it out of the safe and took a look,can't even see where it had flaked off to begin with,not to worry. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 16:08   #14
MSims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
I have a G 22 like that,I noticed it about three years ago and haven't thought it again. So I just pulled it out of the safe and took a look,can't even see where it had flaked off to begin with,not to worry. SJ 40

So yours was flaking like mine... How many rounds have you shot till it smooth out?
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 16:47   #15
intenseneal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSims View Post
I went to clean my glock today and only 150 rounds thru it i see on top of the cruciform alittle bubbling so i went to rub it to think its oil but the bubble flaked off... Like alittle shaving came off the cruciform... Any ideas? Never seen in any of my glocks... only seen on the rail sometimes...


General Glocking
Dude it looks like your ejector is dent pretty bad as well. I just had to replace mine after 20 years of service it broke.
intenseneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 16:50   #16
MSims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseneal View Post
Dude it looks like your ejector is dent pretty bad as well. I just had to replace mine after 20 years of service it broke.
Um thats how a 9mm ejector looks like...
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:29   #17
AgentM79
Platinum Membership
Senior Member
 
AgentM79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,004
DO NOT straighten the "bent" ejector. It's supposed to have a bend. I've seen flaking on Glock frame rails, trigger bars, and firing pin safety plungers. You'll also see flakes on your barrel for about 1000 rounds after a recoil spring assembly is replaced. On "original" Gen1 and Gen2 Glocks, frame rails were bare (surface-ground, actually) and had no coating. I think this also persisted sometime into Gen3, but I don't know at what S/N it changed. My GXX-prefix G17 never flaked, and it had a goodly number of rounds through it.

The "Hoppes" thing, I believe, was pretty-much solved a long time ago. It would damage some nickel-plated surfaces by attacking the copper layer underneath. There are horror stories about revolver finishes getting ruined, but I can't vouch from first-hand experience. In any event, they changed the formula. Hoppes is a good bore solvent - probably one of the best. But, it's not something I would use anywhere else on a Glock.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 22, 26, 37, 39
Glock Armorer (AC), Glock Instructor (IW)
Remington 870 Police Magnum, Benelli M1 S90
Smith & Wesson 13-2, 16-3, 36, 66-3, 681-3, 3000
Tactical Shotgun Club Member #3000
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 18:21   #18
WT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 1,369
IN THE BEGINNING .....

Glock internals had a black coating. It tended to flake off, allowed rusting, and various malfunctions.

On the 2nd day, after The Great Glock Recall, they coated the parts with nickel. Well, that sort of didn't work well either.

On the 3rd day, they coated the nickel plated parts with Teflon. That sort of worked, but still flaked off.

Nowadays, who the heck knows what they do with the parts.

My suggestion, clean it with Mother's Chrome Polish and reinstall it.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 18:48   #19
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSims View Post
So yours was flaking like mine... How many rounds have you shot till it smooth out?
Currently that G 22 has just over 8000 rounds through it. When I noticed it flaking and also on the sides of the trigger bar the gun had close to 1600 rounds out of it.
I also never use a ammonia based cleaner,some times with the nickel plating process it may flake more easily . It like most finishing procedures is all in the preparation. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 18:54   #20
intenseneal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 261
I just had mine replaced and it is straight, Glock brand trigger housing. Maybe it is like that on some Glocks.
intenseneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:31   #21
WayneJessie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,151
Well, I own a Glock so I guess I can say it: Regardless of who's name is on the slide, that's a pretty poor quality plating job to be fluffing off that soon. Even if it's "cosmetic" it still indicates a lack of build quality at least in the plating of certain components. Some estimate that it only costs about $50 to build a polymer handgun. Whether that's true or not I don't know. I suspect it's pretty close considering every Tom,Dick, and Harry is jumping into the polymer market. I know I must tread lightly here but Glock does not sit alone on a high mountain top away from all those that would cut a corner on quality here and there. If you really love your Glocks you'll let Glock Inc. know when you think they are dropping the ball somewhere. That's how we all get better at whatever it is that we do. Honest criticism is way better than misguided flattery. If it were my gun I would send Glock an e-mail and tell them it sucks and other gun makers plating is holding up quite well. Now I said it and I guess I am the red-headed stepchild now.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:35   #22
Inebriated
Senior Member
 
Inebriated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlockTalker View Post
Ok i gotta ask. Whay's wrong with Hoppes?
I've used it for years cleaning Glocks, 1911s, Sigs etc.
Never noticed any problems.
Nothing, really. Some polymer parts and certain finishes have problems with Hoppe's. I personally used it and CLP for YEARS, before switching to Frog Lube. I still use it once in a while, but it's rare.
__________________
التكبر يقللل قيمة الحكمة
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:49   #23
tonyparson
Senior Member
 
tonyparson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dayton, TN.
Posts: 5,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseneal View Post
I just had mine replaced and it is straight, Glock brand trigger housing. Maybe it is like that on some Glocks.
Is your Glock a 9mm?
__________________
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.......
Thomas Jefferson
tonyparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 20:57   #24
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseneal View Post
I just had mine replaced and it is straight, Glock brand trigger housing. Maybe it is like that on some Glocks.
Not all caliber Glock extractors are straight and of course the reverse is also true,depends on caliber. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 21:23   #25
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 8,801
All Glocks will start to di it sooner or later. It's not going to hurt anything. If your that worried about it replace it.





Or.........







Dump the Glock for a HK or Sig.
__________________
When we do hit it we hit it out of the park and send it over to China as quickly as possible to cheapen it and sell it.
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,256
373 Members
883 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42