SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 19:26   #1
JWG_34
TeamCarverMount

Guide rod question

CAn any of my GSSF brothers tell me where I can get A full length one peice tungsten guide rod for my G34 &35.

The last one I bought was from TopGlock(the accessories)But From what I have found out TopGlock is no longer in business.
I found one peice tungsten rods but they are captive,Im looking for the non-captive rod!

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Jeff
JWG_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 19:31   #2
njl

http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmei...tinfo/GMTGR17/

$52 though. Do you find the weight of the guide rod really makes a difference?
Old 02-02-2013, 19:40   #3
JWG_34
TeamCarverMount

To me it does,I use one in a G34 for 6yrs,in GSSF! It balanced the gun great for me,I also had a
the seattle slugplug in the grip!

Is that the one that extends to the end of the dustcover on the G35 34?

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by JWG_34; 02-02-2013 at 19:42..
Old 02-02-2013, 19:44   #4
UtahBassKicker

You could try GlockStore.com. Not sure if they'll have one or not but it might be worth a try.
UtahBassKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:18   #5
DannyR

I got mine, made by T.H.E. Accessories, about 10 years ago. It was full length.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43   #6
ede
Bama's Friend

Lone Wolf has captured, couldn't you leave the washer off and it would function as Uncaptured? My guide rods are T.H.E. like Dannys.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:41   #7
JWG_34
TeamCarverMount

CAnt find THE Acccesories guide rod,I have looked and The captive guide rod is G17 length,I want one that goes to the end ofthe dustvcover on the G35.

The guide rod in my G34 that was stolen a few years ago was a THE.

What happen to TOPGLOCK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
Lone Wolf has captured, couldn't you leave the washer off and it would function as Uncaptured? My guide rods are T.H.E. like Dannys.

Last edited by JWG_34; 02-03-2013 at 12:51..
Old 02-04-2013, 07:25   #8
mike g35

I have a tungsten guiderod from Glockstore.com that works pretty well but it's a Gen 4, I also have one from Glockmeister which is sitting in a box useless because the thing was horrible. I just ordered one from Glockworx the other day for a new build. Even though they show a captured guiderod online if you continue to read you'll notice they mention the extended guiderods are non-captured. The problem is they're back ordered.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-04-2013, 15:12   #9
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG_34 View Post
CAnt find THE Acccesories guide rod,I have looked and The captive guide rod is G17 length,I want one that goes to the end ofthe dustvcover on the G35.

The guide rod in my G34 that was stolen a few years ago was a THE.

What happen to TOPGLOCK?
Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but they got a lot of bad press about the Virginia Tech shooting.

The shooter bought some of his equipment there & the media rode that for all it was worth.

Last edited by Noponer; 02-04-2013 at 15:14..
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:26   #10
Comrade Bork

!

Quote:
CAn any of my GSSF brothers tell me where I can get A full length one peice tungsten guide rod for my G34 &35.

The last one I bought was from TopGlock(the accessories)But From what I have found out TopGlock is no longer in business.
I found one peice tungsten rods but they are captive,Im looking for the non-captive rod!

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Jeff
You understand it puts you in Unlimited for GSSF, right?

Back in my younger and stupider days, I made the mistake of using a gee-whiz-bang mercury-filled metalilic guide rod system in my then-new Glock G-21 at the USPSA Nationals in Reno, NV back in the early 1990's.

It caused the gun to malfunction & pretty much k-boshed the entire trip out there.

I took the aftermarket guide rod out, put a standard Glock spring in, and finished the match with no additional issues.

That pretty much soured me on aftermarket recoil spring systems.

There are a lot of people out there who think they are better engineers than Gaston Glock.

They are NOT better enginners. They are just after your money.

They ARE more than happy to sell you guano to install in your Glock and mess it up.

You are better off spending your money on good instruction, and ammo to practice with.

Gun gadgets are vain attempts to solve a software problem by vainly throwing hardware gimmicks at it.
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:06   #11
JWG_34
TeamCarverMount

Bork,
Not bashing you or nothing,But I shot GSSF for 6 yrs,I made Master Class shooter in 2.

One of the first things I did to my G34 was port the barrel,Lower the ejection port ,and put in a full length tungsten guide rod.Shot this combo for the next 4 yrs,No problems.As many here that know me,can tell you, I was on top of my game.
The other thing I did was to practice every sunday,rain or shine.
I would put a total of 400 to 600 rds down range every sunday ,not counting the rds shot at each match,and I shot at least 7 to 8 matches a yr

The only reaasonI drop out of the game is I got married to a wonderful woman and now have a great 6yr old son.

Hoping to get back into it soon!

Just a note,I had some great people here on GT and at all the GSSF matches I attended giving me advice on what works and what doesnt!.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Bork View Post
You understand it puts you in Unlimited for GSSF, right?

Back in my younger and stupider days, I made the mistake of using a gee-whiz-bang mercury-filled metalilic guide rod system in my then-new Glock G-21 at the USPSA Nationals in Reno, NV back in the early 1990's.

It caused the gun to malfunction & pretty much k-boshed the entire trip out there.

I took the aftermarket guide rod out, put a standard Glock spring in, and finished the match with no additional issues.

That pretty much soured me on aftermarket recoil spring systems.

There are a lot of people out there who think they are better engineers than Gaston Glock.

They are NOT better enginners. They are just after your money.

They ARE more than happy to sell you guano to install in your Glock and mess it up.

You are better off spending your money on good instruction, and ammo to practice with.

Gun gadgets are vain attempts to solve a software problem by vainly throwing hardware gimmicks at it.

Last edited by JWG_34; 02-10-2013 at 13:35..
Old 02-09-2013, 11:01   #12
Comrade Bork

Quote:
Bork,
Not bashing you or nothing,But I shot GSSF for 6 yrs,I made Master Class shooter in 2.

One of the first things I did to my G34 was port the barrel,Lower the ejection port ,and put in a full length tungsten guide rod.Shot this combo for the next 4 yrs,No problems.As many here that know me,can tell you, I was on top of my game.
The other thing I did was to practice every sunday,rain or shine.
I would put a total of 400 to 600 rds down range every sunday ,not counting the rds shot at each match,and I shot at least 7 to 8 matches a yr

The only reaasonI drop out of the game is I got married to a wonderful woman and not have a great 6yr old son.

Hoping to get back into it soon!

Just a note,I had some great people here on GT and at all the GSSF matches I attended giving me advice on what works and what doesnt!.

Jeff
It just bugs me to see new shooters, in particular, waste money on gadgetry where they would have been better off buying ammo/components and competent instruction and practice, practice, practice.

The shooter is always a bigger factor than the gun he shoots, and way more important than a bunch of cost-ineffective gun tweaks.

Old 02-10-2013, 13:46   #13
JWG_34
TeamCarverMount

comrade,DId you even read what I wrote.

Again,
I shot GSSF for close to 7 yrs.

MY practice consisted of Practicing shooting every sunday,
Thats 52 sundays a year, give or take a couple sundays,I would shoot 400 to 600 rds each sunday,Thats about 21000 rds each year.
Not to mention the rds shot at each match(7 a year)

I made master class shooter in 2 yrs of shooting my first match.All the bells and whistles were when I reached master class,And yes all the gadgets did help,maybe every so slightly,But if you take
a look at USPSA or IDPA. Those guys go for a lot more in the way of "gadgets".

Its the way the game is played.I will agree with you that Practice in the game of shooting sports is the #1 priority!

And the one thought to keep in mind is shooting is 10% physical and 90%mental.

I could go on explaining why I want the Tungsten guide rod for my G34,35 But I thing I have made it very clear,So if that is not good enough for you or any other members here ,then so be it!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Bork View Post
It just bugs me to see new shooters, in particular, waste money on gadgetry where they would have been better off buying ammo/components and competent instruction and practice, practice, practice.

The shooter is always a bigger factor than the gun he shoots, and way more important than a bunch of cost-ineffective gun tweaks.

Last edited by JWG_34; 02-10-2013 at 13:49..
Old 02-10-2013, 14:32   #14
Comrade Bork

My point, and yours is an example, is that gadgetry is only effective AFTER one has developed the skills.

New shooters, not knowing this, mistakenly believe that gadgets can substitute for skill.

Until they learn different they can waste a great deal of treasure trying to throw hardware at a software problem.

Old 02-10-2013, 22:40   #15
njl

Making the gun easier to shoot (lighter trigger, reducing recoil or muzzle rise) can definitely shave some time off your scores. Not as much as lots of practice...but it can certainly help. IMO, the biggest advantage you can get is from reloading lighter than factory loads. I feel kind of guilty shooting minor PF .45 in the matches...but the guilt was reduced when I found out some of the master class shooters are shooting weaker ammo than I've ever loaded.
Old 02-11-2013, 14:10   #16
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
I have one of the Mercury and BB guide rods in my G-21 with an XL serial number and it is still good after 17 years. Only thing I have changed is the spring every 4 years or so. I have 4 more springs for it. No it does not leak but I have heard of others that did leak and have issues. YMMV. Yes skill first then work on making the gun easier to function.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote