Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:17   #1
CaptainXL

I'm cutting back

I'm seriously cutting back on my range time due to the lack of primer availability!!!

I'm down to less than 1000 Federal SPP's (which are my favorite) and have under 5000 CCI's & Win. Down to 1000 Federal LPP's.

Seeing as how there does not seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel as far as primer availability is concerned, I have decided to shoot drastically less than I normally do. I plan on going to the range as often as normal but will shoot far less ammo during each range session.

I did stock up on primers and powder before things got really bad but obviously I screwed up and should have made sure that I had a larger stock pile. Isn't hindsight wonderful?

Has anyone else had to modify their shooting habits?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38   #2
DoctaGlockta

I have been to the range twice since Nov 2012. I used to go at least once a week on my way home from work.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51   #3
motorcyclist

I would go every other week before "armsagedon" struck. I've skipped a bunch of weekends to save up for next week. I'll be on vacation and plan on expending a lot of rounds. Of course I'm hoping some day to be able to replace all the powder, primers and bullets I blow off!
motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:53   #4
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainXL View Post
I'm seriously cutting back on my range time due to the lack of primer availability!!!

Has anyone else had to modify their shooting habits?
I enjoy shooting rifle and 50 rounds is a big day. So, I will shoot rifle if this thing goes on beyond another couple of years.

I have enough pistol fixin's for a couple of years, maybe more, so I'm not desperate yet.

While I realize the LGS is overpriced on primers and powder, if push comes to shove, I'll pay the difference. Really, does $0.02/round really matter? Still, it will be a long while before I'm in that situation.

Right now, TJ Conevera's has some Berry's bullets and some .30 cal Sierra Match King. I'm not a fan of plated bullets but, hey, I'm just poking holes in cardboard. How good do the bullets have to be?

Richard
Old 05-21-2013, 09:17   #5
Murphy's Law

I used to shoot 2 or 3 times a week but for lack of components, I've cut my range time down to once a week until things get better ( which is hopefully soon).
Old 05-21-2013, 09:42   #6
fredj338

I shoot someplace every weekend, so not much has changed for me. Then again, I have always maintained a 5K min per size since Clinton. When Obama got elected in 08, i upped that to 1yr supply min each size. SO even though I was fine, I added to my position in primers in Dec, I knew this was coming. So at least for this year, I am not changing my shooting habits at all. The price of gas has more of an affect on me than primers or availability.
Being self sufficient & casting for my handguns helps too, no need to hunt bullets either. SO after this, I suggest everyone do the same. If you find primers @ a decent price today, buy 10-15K, need them or not. Plan for the worst case scenario, you'll never get caught short.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-21-2013 at 09:43..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56   #7
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I enjoy shooting rifle and 50 rounds is a big day. So, I will shoot rifle if this thing goes on beyond another couple of years.
Yup, that's what I'll be doing to get my fix if the worse drags on... I really enjoy shooting out to up to 600 yards with my .223 bolt gun and AR's. Especially ringing steel.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:30   #8
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Yup, that's what I'll be doing to get my fix if the worse drags on... I really enjoy shooting out to up to 600 yards with my .223 bolt gun and AR's. Especially ringing steel.
I stumbled into a group that shoots Metallic Silhouette with vintage military rifles - like the Swiss K31, Mausers, that kind of thing. They will let me shoot my M1A in a different class (Open). It's a fun league, nothing serious. Serious meets on a different weekend.

I don't know if my battle grade M1A is up to the task but I'm about to put my new Leupold ER/T 4.5-14 on the rifle and make up some loads. How much worse can it be than a WWI battle rifle?

As I understand it, the scope is a little light for the application. I also have a Weaver T24 but it has the thin reticle and the 1/8 MOA dot. I'd rather not use it but, what the heck, I'm just starting out. Wind is going to be the real problem! There is always wind at that range and it's usually significant at 500 meters.

My prone position has suffered enormously over the last 30 years of abstinence. No part of my body is flexible enough. I have work to do.

I also have 3 other bolt guns to feed and shoot. There's plenty of shooting to do even without Action Pistol.

Richard
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42   #9
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

What distances Richard? We have F-Class competitions a few hours east of us as well. It's fun showing up at those with my .223 R700 blowing the large rifle caliber boys out of the water
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:08   #10
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
What distances Richard? We have F-Class competitions a few hours east of us as well. It's fun showing up at those with my .223 R700 blowing the large rifle caliber boys out of the water
Chickens at 200 meters, pigs at 300 meters, turkeys at 380 meters and rams at 500 meters.

I have a Savage F-Class 6.5x284 Norma that is superbly accurate. I just need more quality time with the trigger.

For the silhouette shooting, no FMJ, no steel jacket, no magnum anything. The good news is that BTHP are allowed so all of the Sierra Match Kings are fair gme.

That's why the 7.5x55mm Swiss K13 rifle is so popular. They were typical Swiss quality (including especially the barrels) and the bullet is .308. Sierra Match King here we come! 168 gr is popular in these rifles.

They also shoot the targets with AR-15s on a different weekend. Some folks use optics, others don't. I think I am a wee bit old to try 500 meters with a post sight. Still, the little .223 has run up 40/40 scores at least 4 times.

Maybe after I get some glasses...

Richard
Old 05-21-2013, 15:05   #11
norton

Quote:
I stumbled into a group that shoots Metallic Silhouette with vintage military rifles - like the Swiss K31, Mausers, that kind of thing. They will let me shoot my M1A in a different class (Open). It's a fun league, nothing serious. Serious meets on a different weekend.

I don't know if my battle grade M1A is up to the task but I'm about to put my new Leupold ER/T 4.5-14 on the rifle and make up some loads. How much worse can it be than a WWI battle rifle?

As I understand it, the scope is a little light for the application. I also have a Weaver T24 but it has the thin reticle and the 1/8 MOA dot. I'd rather not use it but, what the heck, I'm just starting out. Wind is going to be the real problem! There is always wind at that range and it's usually significant at 500 meters.

My prone position has suffered enormously over the last 30 years of abstinence. No part of my body is flexible enough. I have work to do.

I also have 3 other bolt guns to feed and shoot. There's plenty of shooting to do even without Action Pistol.

Richard
Richard
Are you loading for the K31? I saved up a bunch of factory ammo cases then realized they are berdan primed.
Old 05-21-2013, 15:12   #12
norton

I still make my weekly trip to the range, but I shoot fewer rounds then before.
I now shoot my airguns and blackpowder front stuffers as a substitute. I have always done this, but my shooting of these other then cartridge bangers has increased.
I am already seeing an increase in powder and bullet availability. I even saw shelves with .40 s/w, .45acp/.38 special, .357 and .45 colt factory rounds at a G/M store in Lafayette In last week.
My job requires my travel all around Indiana, and this gives me a chance to check out components in a large geographic area.
I am hopeful that things will return to normal-whatever that is-in the future. You know the component mfg's want to supply all that is demanded.
Old 05-21-2013, 15:12   #13
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Richard
Are you loading for the K31? I saved up a bunch of factory ammo cases then realized they are berdan primed.
No, I don't currently own a K31. I will start the sport with my M1A. If I have a long term interest, I'll start looking for something. It might be a K31, because it uses the .308 bullets I already have and for which brass is available, or the Mosin-Nagant because I think there is a surplus market in 7.62x54mmR ammo. I'll have to check on that when the 'market' recovers.

Almost anything built on a Mauser action is allowed AFAICT so that might be a better way to go. I suspect it is possible to come up with a .308 Win on a Mauser action.

Richard
Old 05-21-2013, 15:42   #14
Colorado4Wheel

How you can say the M1A is not as good as the others...... Zombie is going to start shaking and cursing. It may get ugly.
Old 05-21-2013, 15:53   #15
shotgunred
reloading nut

I have cut back to half of what I used to. The funny thing I have several years worth of primers. So I shouldn't have to worry about it. But I do So I shoot less.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 15:54   #16
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
How you can say the M1A is not as good as the others...... Zombie is going to start shaking and cursing. It may get ugly.
Must have come out backwards. I was suggesting that it could be no worse than some WWI barrel.

Actually, using German NATO surplus ammo, I was able to hit the 5 gallon paint buckets at Gunsite - 800 yards from a treehouse. It just had to be luck, consistent luck, to be sure, but still luck. I had no idea how far to hold over but the 3-9 scope I was using had some hash marks on the vertical line. I just used the bottom one and it worked out. As I said, just luck.

The rifle used to shoot very well with that ammo. I have found nothing that works nearly as well. I have read that the 'answer' is 41.5 gr of H4895 with a 168 gr HPBT. I'll be loading some later this week.

The other fellow that uses an M1A has a super barrel, super stock, superb optics and a National Match action. Somehow, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up. Maybe there is still some 'luck' running around.

Richard
Old 05-21-2013, 16:02   #17
Colorado4Wheel

I have 60K primers and I am shooting less. Some because of time, some because i don't know when i will be able to buy 16lbs of Solo1000 at a fair price again. I just don't push as hard to go to the range as a result. I still go but I just don't make it as much of a priority.
Old 05-21-2013, 16:03   #18
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Must have come out backwards. I was suggesting that it could be no worse than some WWI barrel.

Actually, using German NATO surplus ammo, I was able to hit the 5 gallon paint buckets at Gunsite - 800 yards from a treehouse. It just had to be luck, consistent luck, to be sure, but still luck. I had no idea how far to hold over but the 3-9 scope I was using had some hash marks on the vertical line. I just used the bottom one and it worked out. As I said, just luck.

The rifle used to shoot very well with that ammo. I have found nothing that works nearly as well. I have read that the 'answer' is 41.5 gr of H4895 with a 168 gr HPBT. I'll be loading some later this week.

The other fellow that uses an M1A has a super barrel, super stock, superb optics and a National Match action. Somehow, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up. Maybe there is still some 'luck' running around.

Richard
Zombie is very touchy about M14's and 1911's. Just be aware. And 9 Major, He loves 9 Major.
Old 05-21-2013, 16:42   #19
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Zombie is very touchy about M14's and 1911's. Just be aware. And 9 Major, He loves 9 Major.
Don't know anything about 9 Major but the 1911 and M14 were my issued weapons in the Army.

I'm still a 1911 fan although I am branching out into Sigs and Glocks. My favorite 1911 at the moment comes from Sig but my Colt Gold Cup shoots pretty well. It's an IPSC commemorative model with lots of engraving and gold leaf. Too pretty to shoot from a holster - hence the Government Combat.

I only have the one M1A. If I were rich, I'd probably try to buy a National Match or Super Match. But I'm not...

Richard
Old 05-21-2013, 19:20   #20
michael e

I have been shooting my bolt actions alot more. A few hours at the range is 20-40 rounds.
When handguns a good range trip was easy 300 rounds.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammo, pistol primers, primers