Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2013, 14:54   #1
G27GenFour
American

Holding criminals at gunpoint when your life ISN'T in danger...

Wasn't sure how to search for this topic and I'm sure it's been covered here somewhere. I also know that local and state laws will be an obvious factors here, and they probably vary - but how do people hold a criminal "until law enforcement shows up" when that criminal could, in theory, turn his back and walk/run away? Surely the good guy's life isn't threatened in that case, and I think the common concept is that you're not supposed to shoot anyone unless your life is in danger, but you do hear occasionally (and here today, locally) about someone apprehending a criminal and holding them at gunpoint until a LEO shows up. Thanks for your feedback!
G27GenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 18:01   #2
BenjiEDF

Good question! Handcuff him and make a citizens arrest? Short of that I don't know. Might be a good question for the gentlemen in the cop talk forum.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45

Last edited by BenjiEDF; 02-11-2013 at 18:03..
BenjiEDF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 18:06   #3
The Fed

You better have plenty of evidence before you detain someone, gunpoint or otherwise. If you do have a video evidence or independent witnesses of a crime and it's on your property then you can detain someone, just like any business can in cases of theft.

No proof? You can be arrested for unlawful restraint, and sued.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 18:27   #4
WFBont7

I have been in law enforcement for almost 20 years. Over the years I have learned that the guy bad doesn't stop or stand still for you if you are holding a gun at him. They don't believe that you are going to shoot them.

Since I have been in K9, its a whole different story. A bad guy will stop, will turn around and will put his hands behind his back. LOL
WFBont7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:17   #5
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

If he wants to run away, that solves a big part of my problem.

If I can safely hold him at gunpoint, I might try, but I feel no obligation to do so.

It's much cheaper and simpler for me if I don't shoot anybody.
"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:18   #6
GlockFanWA

And what are you going to do if while holding a person at gunpoint they get up and walk/run away? Shooting a person in the back is usually a good way to end up in jail.
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:20   #7
soflasmg

The longer barrel of the model 17 is better for pistol whipping than a 19.
soflasmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:42   #8
The Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
If he wants to run away, that solves a big part of my problem.

If I can safely hold him at gunpoint, I might try, but I feel no obligation to do so.

It's much cheaper and simpler for me if I don't shoot anybody.
Reminds me of what a young neighbor Sgt. told me when I lived in Philly. I asked him if he ever shot anyone. He said, don't you know we're not allowed to shoot anyone? He clarified that cops who shoot people don't get promoted in Philly? He even avoided high crowd events in his off time because he would be obligated to act if there was a problem.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 20:29   #9
TK-421

I really think about all you can do is handcuff the guy, make a citizens arrest, and basically lay on him and pin him to the ground until cops show up. Most guys won't stand still when a gun is pointed at them because they believe that you won't pull the trigger, so pointing a gun at them generally won't do much to keep them there. Granted, there are exceptions, but I think a gun won't do as much as you think it will.

But you better have some damn good evidence as to why you're detaining him, because you don't get off easy if you detain the wrong person, or can't prove what happened that made you think it was a good idea to detain him.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 22:25   #10
G27GenFour
American

Great (and very obvious, in most cases) points, folks. This question was brought up by a report today in this area of a female jogger who was pulled into the bushes by an attacker. She managed to fight him off, and he ran away but was followed by a bicyclist who unfortunately lost the trail, so the bad guy got away. I just know that I'd want to detain some slimeball like this, but in reality, it's pretty clear that he's not likely to hang around even if I am pointing a gun at him, and of course I'm certainly not going to shoot someone running/walking away.... as much as he may well deserve at least losing a kneecap...

Thanks for the feedback, all.
Old 02-11-2013, 22:54   #11
KentuckyPatriot
No BS Here!

Here is a thought for you...if YOUR life, or the life of ANOTHER is not threatened, or either of you threatened with great bodily injury, you should leave your gun holstered.

The mere pointing of a loaded gun in the above instance transforms you into the criminal and the bad guy into the victim. You can (in most areas) be charged with reckless endangering, terroristic threatening, etc...all based on the whim of your local prosecutor and local police report.

If the BG wants to run...let him! Be vigilant, get somewhere else and call 911, and be a good witness. You are not the cops and you do not handcuff! Good Grief...have you ever tried to handcuff an unwilling person?

Keep it simple...keep it holstered until your life, or the life of another is threatened. Then bring your firearm into play.

Period!
Gen 4: G22, G27; Gen 3: G23, G26, G30s;J-Frames: Model 60 and M&P 340; S&W Bodyguard 380 x2; Ruger LC9 with Laserguard
KentuckyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 23:36   #12
Revvv

I live in GA. I will shoot you.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26   #13
G27GenFour
American

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyPatriot View Post
Here is a thought for you...if YOUR life, or the life of ANOTHER is not threatened, or either of you threatened with great bodily injury, you should leave your gun holstered.

The mere pointing of a loaded gun in the above instance transforms you into the criminal and the bad guy into the victim. You can (in most areas) be charged with reckless endangering, terroristic threatening, etc...all based on the whim of your local prosecutor and local police report.

If the BG wants to run...let him! Be vigilant, get somewhere else and call 911, and be a good witness. You are not the cops and you do not handcuff! Good Grief...have you ever tried to handcuff an unwilling person?

Keep it simple...keep it holstered until your life, or the life of another is threatened. Then bring your firearm into play.

Period!
Very well stated, sir. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49   #14
blk69stang

Detaining a bad guy at gunpoint, with handcuffs, or otherwise, is inviting a charge of unlawful detention or kidnapping.

Not saying it can't be done, but if you have to ask on an internet forum, then you are not knowledgeable enough of the law to be going around doing it.
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:49   #15
G27GenFour
American

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk69stang View Post
Detaining a bad guy at gunpoint, with handcuffs, or otherwise, is inviting a charge of unlawful detention or kidnapping.

Not saying it can't be done, but if you have to ask on an internet forum, then you are not knowledgeable enough of the law to be going around doing it.
No argument there at all. I wasn't necessarily contemplating doing it, but more just bringing up the aspects of doing so. Another local case here this week did involve someone holding a bad guy at the scene of a crime, but I have no idea how they were able to do so. Again, great and very clear insights posted here; thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 16:28   #16
Mr. Blandings

G27GenFour,

Know your applicable laws and regulations VERY well. Also be cognizant of the mood of the public/press, law enforcement, prosecutors and courts- but know that all of that can change without warning.

Florida went from being a strong pro-gun/pro-self defense state to shaky ground almost overnight based on one incident - Trayvon Martin. That incident resulted in states throughout the nation at least discussing "stand your ground" self defense laws.

The developments of that incident, the after effects and subsequent on-going prosecution provide valuable lessons in how cautiously one should approach situations that may result in a use of force.

Even law enforcement officers often find themselves criticized, investigated and even prosecuted for line of duty use of force incidents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Calibre Press, GLOCK,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Andy Stanford,
Mr. Blandings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 16:50   #17
Mr. Blandings

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27GenFour View Post
No argument there at all. I wasn't necessarily contemplating doing it, but more just bringing up the aspects of doing so. Another local case here this week did involve someone holding a bad guy at the scene of a crime, but I have no idea how they were able to do so. Again, great and very clear insights posted here; thanks.
I recall a few months ago there was some video of a group of "good samaritans" who tackled and held a criminal suspect until law enforcement arrived on the scene. (You should be familiar, it was in Seattle: http://www.king5.com/news/cities/sea...170724026.html) The group as a whole was generally given the public atta boy treatment afterward, but I wonder how different the reaction would have been if an armed citizen had intervened and been filmed holding the bad guy at gun point?

Further, when law enforcement did arrive to the scene one of the "good samaritans" briefly had a 12 gauge shotgun pressed into his back and a police officer was about to take him into custody until it was quickly explained that he was one of the good guy.

This is a demonstration of how law enforcement reacts when they arrive on the scene. Anyone not in uniform is a suspect until verified otherwise. Anyone holding a firearm is an armed suspect.

Also note from the news story that the initial "good samaritan" - a doorman - was shot by the badguy while tackling him. Who do you suppose covered the doorman's medical tab?
(Follow-up story notes a fund had been set-up, but doesn't say the bills are covered. Also, lost time from work, etc. The bills don't stop coming in.
http://www.king5.com/news/Hero-shoot...171439221.html)

Edited to add: Okay, now curious about this I applied some google-fu and discovered a later article where the Mayflower Park Hotel states that the doorman's wages, tips and expenses would be covered (http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...obbery27m.html). He is lucky. Compare this to many easily located articles about businesses (usually corporate chains) who fire employees that resist robberies or display firearms defensively.

, Calibre Press, GLOCK,
, Andy Stanford,

Last edited by Mr. Blandings; 02-16-2013 at 16:58..
Old 02-16-2013, 19:22   #18
Blaster
Hunc tu caveto

How many of you folks who suggested "Handcuffing" are trained in the art? Do you actually believe that putting handcuffs on a person is a simple and easy operation?

Those who would try are asking for Big Trouble! It is not a simple matter to handcuff a person, especially one who may have prison learned disarming skills or simple martial arts training. Police officers spend a significant amount of time learning how to handcuff a suspect. It is extremely dangerous to get that close and try to restrain a person even if you are armed.

Stay Away!

Since when is it your job to restrain anyone?

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Last edited by Blaster; 02-16-2013 at 19:23..
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:42   #19
Mr. Blandings

Here is another situation to consider: Homeowner Prosecuted for Shooting at Fleeing Burglar Forfeits Gun, Concealed Carry Permit & Pays Fine

, Calibre Press, GLOCK,
, Andy Stanford,

Last edited by Mr. Blandings; 02-17-2013 at 08:43..
Old 02-18-2013, 15:22   #20
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

It's a bad plan.

Here are some more points to ponder...

Suppose you do draw your firearm and tell the dude to halt, sit on the ground and wait for the cops.

What if he turns back your way and decides you're not serious and makes a go at you and your gun instead? Were you expecting that could be a possibility?

Now what's your plan? He didn't do what you said and is coming at you...tick-tock...times up...he has his hands on you and your piece...

What if "he" is actually "them?" Got any training or hands on experience in controlling multiple assailants?

Are you trained in handgun retention and spent a lot of time practicing it under the guidance of a competent instructor?

Me neither.

You in good enough physical condition to fight that fight hands on against someone or a group of someones that might be younger and stronger than you or prepared to take it to a level you are not or were not expecting?

You got a radio and backup on the way?

Me neither.

I always figure it like this, there are people walking around out there that are crazy enough or high enough to fight uniformed officers and try to get their gun from them and kill them. They aren't going to even think twice about trying that on little ole you and me.

I hope they do run away. Aside from never having found yourself in such a situation to start with, that would be ideal.

I refer you to another thread - things often don't work out the way people imagine:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1471337

Read the stickies here:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Read this:
http://www.stoppingpower.net/comment...tervention.asp

Read this web site:
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-18-2013 at 15:33..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote