Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 00:11   #1
phoenixg23

Re-sizing G23 Gen 3 Grip

I love my G23 Gen 3 but am not happy with the grip size should I need to one hand fire it.
I saw a company in Arizona that offers resizing services, wondering if anyone has sanded or reshaped the polymer grip themself. Have you had such a service performed, if so, did it make a differece in handling and firing one handed for you?

I considered trading for a G19 Gen 3 but really do like carrying the .40 cal as my primary with my .38 snub-nose in an ankle holster (back-up).

Thanks for any feedback.
phoenixg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42   #2
Mark Housel

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixg23 View Post
I love my G23 Gen 3 but am not happy with the grip size should I need to one hand fire it.
I saw a company in Arizona that offers resizing services, wondering if anyone has sanded or reshaped the polymer grip themself. Have you had such a service performed, if so, did it make a differece in handling and firing one handed for you?

I considered trading for a G19 Gen 3 but really do like carrying the .40 cal as my primary with my .38 snub-nose in an ankle holster (back-up).

Thanks for any feedback.
The grip on y our Glock can be "resized", typically called a grip reduction.

Also the finger grooves can be removed and the trigger guard relieved. All of this is easy enough to do. This grip has those operations performed and the grip textured.

Gunsmithing

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."
Mark Housel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12   #3
Chesafreak

I felt the same way about my Gen 3 G23. The finger humps didn't fit my hand, but everything else was perfect. I used a sander to remove the humps and then smoothed it out with sandpaper of increasingly finer grit. Finally I used a soldering iron with a straight slot tip on the frontstrap in X patterns until it finally looked like rough sandpaper. The grip feels like it had a slight grip reduction. I also sanded the part of the trigger guard above where the middle finger rests to allow for a slightly higher grip.

If I wanted to reduce it more, I could heat the hollow area at the bottom of the backstrap and press it in against a flat surface. If you choose to do this, make sure you insert an empty mag before pressing the backstrap so that you don't go too far and the mag doesn't fit.

If you DIY, don't use a dremel tool, and take your time. Its better to take off too little and the job take longer than to take off too much and you can't undo the damage. I started out filing it by hand, then I used a flat sander (very gently), and then took days to finish it with sandpaper.

I wish I had a better picture but my phone's camera isn't very good.

Gunsmithing

Last edited by Chesafreak; 02-14-2013 at 08:25..
Chesafreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:26   #4
Mark Housel

Actually removing the hump on the back strap isn't always necessary

Just removing the stock molded in texture and finger grooves is often enough to reduce the grip enough for many folks.

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27   #5
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Housel View Post
The grip on y our Glock can be "resized", typically called a grip reduction.

Also the finger grooves can be removed and the trigger guard relieved. All of this is easy enough to do. This grip has those operations performed and the grip textured.

Gunsmithing
That's one of the best looking Glocks I have ever seen! Is that a milled Glock slide, or aftermarket?
Chesafreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31   #6
Mark Housel

That is a lone wolf slide with the front cocking serrations removed.

The same sort of 'single cocking serration' cut could be done on a factory slide as well. It would need to be sized to accommodate the Logo and other stampings.