SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:00   #21
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertuck View Post
Yesterday I had the privilege of training with a member of the State Police who is also a former Marine weapons instructor. He stressed something that made perfect sense, but something I have not practiced to this point. He said that we should choose ONE gun and holster combination (excluding a BUG) and devote the majority of our defensive training to that combination. He told us to "train as you fight and fight as you train!"

Although I agree with his philosophy, I have not practiced it in the past. In an effort to carry EVERY day in a well concealed manner, I have 3 or 4 weapons I use for EDC with a variety of holsters. I usually choose my gun and holster combination based largely upon my daily activities and clothing requirements. Most days I have to wear "business casual" clothing, but sometimes I wear a suit.

I would love to hear your thoughts and your practices on this matter. Thanks.
Since I do not feel I'm in a monetary position to be able to afford several handguns...I have always carried/trained/competed with the same handgun in the same holster carried in the same place/position. I have not had any problem finding ways to "dress around the gun" and still look perfectly proper for whatever the required dress code may be. I think too many people take the route of "gun around the dress"...and spend a LOT of money on guns & holsters...when for a LOT LESS money they could have simply bought an outfit that worked with the gun they already have. If/when I am able to afford owning several handguns, I fully intend on all of them having as much "platform commonality" as possible (most likely it will be several S&W M&P handguns).
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10   #22
fuzzy03cls

Agree I carry 1 & only 1. I don't know how people car rotate guns & not only rotate guns but platforms. 1911, sig, glock....All different safeties, grips, triggers....
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:21   #23
Filhar

Of course with practice I can draw out of whatever holster I've got on and put rounds downrange in a reasonable manner, but in a stress situation, the gun you train with the most is going to get out there faster and more accurately. Drills at the range are good, but any kind of competition is better, cause it puts a little more stress on you.
Filhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:02   #24
OldLincoln

I have two identical guns that share the same holster, set of ammo and reloading stuff, half the training as two different guns, and all is good. One is with me and the other is my bed gun and I rotate them when I think about it. But then I'm not really a gun guy, more of a self-defense guy instead, and that's what I practice. I don't just toss lead down range but work on my own little defense drills.
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 18:37   #25
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Same gun all the time. The best back up to your EDC in the event your primary carry should ever go down is a duplicate of it.

Consistency is a good thing especially when it comes to a defensive firearm. Train with what you carry and carry what you train with. It's better to master one gun than be a jack of all guns but the master of none.

YMMV but it's what's worked best for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 20:55   #26
MLittle

Two Sig P220 Carry's.......one on my hip and the other in my pistol safe under my bed.
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 23:40   #27
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

I kinda carry only one...I carry a G26 24/7/365...but at times I will strap on a G17...and my HD gun is a G17L.

I spend most of my practice time with the G26...the sytems are so similar, almost exact trigger, I start with the 17L, move to the 17 and I always finish my practice sessions with the G26.

Very similar, almost the same.

HR
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41   #28
SCmasterblaster

I'd carry my G17 for an EDC. My G17 is good for most any situation here in rural VT.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04   #29
FL-obiwan

agreed. one gun, one location. regardless of how many that you own.

Caption on Avatar: "Jihad this!"
FL-obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:33   #30
failsafe

Do you wear clothing that would aid in the concealment of your carry pistol ? Or do you do the reverse and carry an appropriate pistol for what you are wearing..
Different clothing, different climate conditions, different needs...Short's, slacks, speedo's, bib's ?
yep, I will carry the largest cal pistol reasonable to my needs and what I am wearing...
Do you only have one pair of shoes that fit's all needs?
Old 02-14-2013, 13:32   #31
Supertuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by failsafe View Post
Do you wear clothing that would aid in the concealment of your carry pistol ? Or do you do the reverse and carry an appropriate pistol for what you are wearing..
Different clothing, different climate conditions, different needs...Short's, slacks, speedo's, bib's ?
yep, I will carry the largest cal pistol reasonable to my needs and what I am wearing...
To tell the truth, I've done a little of both in the past.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!
Supertuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 17:25   #32
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by failsafe View Post
I definitely adjust my clothes around my CCW gun - a G17.
Old 02-14-2013, 19:39   #33
1canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
Agree I carry 1 & only 1. I don't know how people car rotate guns & not only rotate guns but platforms. 1911, sig, glock....All different safeties, grips, triggers....
its easy and easier when you are older and been shooting the same guns for 40+ years. it might be different for the less experienced which is understandable.
Old 02-14-2013, 21:55   #34
jhmayhem

It's a good practice in theory, but you said this instructor trains soldiers and LEO for a living which I am neither at the moment along with most CCWers, so it's a lot harder for someone like me to strap on the same duty sized weapon I shoot best with on my waist which I can draw quickest from everytime I go out. Plus, I like learning how to carry and shoot different kinds of guns.
jhmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 23:16   #35
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

My belief is to use the same platform, that is just me.
If using different platforms then practice with all to be used.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:28   #36
beforeobamabans
FYPM

I don't think it's a big deal for me but then they're all Glocks.
I find myself defaulting to my Gen4 23 because I love the size, capacity, caliber and find the RTF grip to be an advantage for drawing and overall gun control. I prefer high quality custom leather so I pretty much stick with my Brommeland and Nick Mathews IWBs, which are pretty similar.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49   #37
ancient_serpent

I carry a 1911 or a GLOCK, but I also train with both of them a great deal. I carry them in the same location (4 O'Clock) spare mags in the same spot, same type of holster (MS VMII).
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:07   #38
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

I only two pistols. Both are Glocks so I'm not worried there. I conceal carry a G27 and open carry a G22. Holsters are different but with enough training it's not hard to adapt.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they train and practice nonstop.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17   #39
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_serpent View Post
I carry a 1911 or a GLOCK, but I also train with both of them a great deal. I carry them in the same location (4 O'Clock) spare mags in the same spot, same type of holster (MS VMII).

A 1911 - awesome!
Old 02-15-2013, 21:08   #40
ChiTownPicaro

I prefer to keep the guns in the same family. I usually carry a Glock 19 around but when I can I will conceal a 17. Sometimes if I need to go smaller I will carry a Glock 26. I like 9mm Glocks and prefer to stay within the Glock family.

I am a big fan of the magazine swapping as well and use Glock 17 mags as my spares.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, clothing, edc, gun, holster