Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56   #21
Phases
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Baron View Post
I found that an 18 lb. recoil spring with the .40 cal ammo tames the snap in a G27. Just one more option for you to consider.
Oh really? Interesting!!
Phases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:24   #22
ipscshooter
Mostly IDPA now
 
ipscshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Near Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phases View Post
Alright so here's what I did: I asked here for advice then said screw it and did what I wanted anyway. :P
I agree wih your decision. Lighter spring should help her. I doubt the lighter spring will hurt the gun, especially if you keep it's use to 9mm.

Since you realize practice would be the better approach and it's not worked yet this may allow your wife to work her way into the full power .40. Certainly less expensive than buying a G26.

On slide manipilation. Is she using the opposing hands method vs. holding the gun and pulling the slide back?

Opposing hands method works well for many who may not have the upper body/grip strength to pull slide back.
__________________
Shoot Safe
ipscshooter
_______________
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27   #23
ipscshooter
Mostly IDPA now
 
ipscshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Near Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Baron View Post
I found that an 18 lb. recoil spring with the .40 cal ammo tames the snap in a G27. Just one more option for you to consider.
Very well could, but could also induce feeding/ejection issues if "limp wristing", weak ammo, etc..
__________________
Shoot Safe
ipscshooter
_______________
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29   #24
Phases
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 131
Heya. Yeah and if this works out well we could use this to help train into the .40 like you said, and maybe even take a heavier spring into account for that like BB mentioned.

For the slide, she has to use opposing hands method, she can't do it otherwise. Well. Not comfortably and easily.

Should she be in a real situation where she needs to yank that thing back and chamber something, I'm certain she can do it. But yeah, it ain't easy, opposing hands for sure.
Phases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51   #25
Phases
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 131
Well, this, like everything else, is probably never the same for any two people. Just gunna have to see what works and adjust accordingly. I'm confident we'll get her set up good in the end though, just hope I don't go broke doing it, HA!
Phases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 14:23   #26
Bald Baron
Hermit
 
Bald Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elkader, Iowa
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipscshooter View Post
Very well could, but could also induce feeding/ejection issues if "limp wristing", weak ammo, etc..
I tried a 20 lb. spring and it did prevent the slide from reliably cycling, but at least for me, the 18 lb. spring has worked with a wide variety of ammo with no issues. It made the felt recoil seem similar to my G19 (again to me). Your milage may vary.
__________________
It's good to have goals, it builds tolerance for disappointment.
Bald Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 13:12   #27
Phases
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 131
Well, I've yet to get a shipping notice from them, and have emailed the "email here for shipping inquiries" address 3 times asking for an update or if it was backordered or anything. Never heard anything back...

:\
Phases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 14:02   #28
BMiracletx
Senior Member
 
BMiracletx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phases View Post
I understand the spring and slide are the same for the 26 and 27... Would we not be in the same position? ..or is there more to it? I'd hate to take the loss doing that to no benefit..
I didn't see anyone mention this yet, but NO, the slide for a 26 and a 27 ARE NOT THE SAME. They have the same exterior dimensions and can be interchanged except for one thing... the 27 slide is HEAVIER (compare the insides of the slides and you will see that the 9mm slide has more material removed from inside). This might be why she is having problems with the 9mm ammo.

In order to be able to handle the 40SW/357Sig cartridge with the same weight of recoil spring, Glock made the slide heavier than on the 9mm (same thing with 10mm vs 45ACP).

So, a 22/31 slide is heavier than a 17 slide.
A 23/32 slide is heavier than a 19 slide.
A 20 slide is heavier than a 21 slide.
A 24 slide is heavier than a 17L slide.
A 27/33 slide is heavier than a 26
A 29 slide is heavier than a 30 slide.
A 35 slide is heavier than a 34 slide.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 14:11   #29
Phases
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 131
You know, I heard some stuff to the same effect from the guy at btguiderods.com. I emailed him and asked a couple questions and we had a great back and forth - nice guy. I'd like to buy from him just for his good customer service. Plan to at some point. He uses factory springs though so at this point I needed something else.

Funny, I'd not thought about the slide weight itself being different between 26 and 27, and he also talked about "lock time".. barrel unlocking from "the breech" at different points in the recoil stroke.. which was something else I'd not yet thought about.

I'm glad you posted and said that. I imagine them being different slides is a pretty important thing to know in a collection going forward.
Phases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 14:20   #30
BMiracletx
Senior Member
 
BMiracletx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phases View Post
I'm glad you posted and said that. I imagine them being different slides is a pretty important thing to know in a collection going forward.
Yep. I own one of each model of Glocks... so I have spent much time with them torn down and comparing things and trying to interchange parts. Like I said, if you actually compare a 9mm slide and a 40 slide, you can see where the weight difference comes from inside.

So... heavier slide with less recoil impulse from the 9mm cartridge, and your wife probably does not have the wrist strength to get that combination to work right. So you can lighten the spring weight on the 27 to use 9mm ammo, or just get a 26 so you don't have to do modifications.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 14:23   #31
Phases
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 131
Side note, I just started teaching my teen the other day, and we hit the range for the first time Sunday.

1.) He's a natural - must be those video games! :P

but,

2.) He too is having the same problem as my wife. He's a little guy. I shoot it fine, the trainer was shooting it fine, and my father in law and his friend were shooting it good too. So, It's really gotta just be that. They just can't keep their wrists tight enough.

Funny enough, he loves the .40, finds it his favorite. I suspect that may change if this spring helps, though. It's no fun to have to clear a jam or rack the slide between every round. Though, he did get to learn a bit about fixing a FTC though, which is good.

If I ever get it anyway. I'd be happy to just hear back from them..

Last edited by Phases; 02-19-2013 at 14:27..
Phases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:19   #32
F106 Fan
Senior Member
 
F106 Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,967
A subcompact .40 is problematic for many shooters. It is the snappiest caliber in the smallest package. Well, to be fair, the 10mm is worse...

As to 'limp wristing', well, what if you're laying on the floor, bleeding out, you only have one hand and it's mangled but, still, you need to get a couple of shots off. Do you have the gun for it or not?

While playing around at the range yesterday, my wife and I decided to position ourselves in the dirt as though we had been getting our butts kicked. Then, strong hand only, draw and fire at a target 10 yards away. There was no opportunity for body support, no way to get a two handed grip, just barely getting up yet still draw and fire.

Yes, the Sig P220 and the Sig 1911 both functioned just fine. They always do. I had my G21SF with me but I didn't think to try it. Next time... I'm pretty confident it will work just as well.

If a self-defense gun is to be dependable, it has to work from every position, with every grip, under every conceivable condition. Every single time! Make stuff up! Test it! If it fails, get another gun...

Richard
__________________
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." - Lily Tomlin

Last edited by F106 Fan; 02-19-2013 at 15:21..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:32   #33
ipscshooter
Mostly IDPA now
 
ipscshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Near Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phases View Post
Side note, I just started teaching my teen the other day, and we hit the range for the first time Sunday.

2.) He too is having the same problem as my wife........ They just can't keep their wrists tight enough.
I think I said it before, but it's about locking the wrist. I think you realize this, but it difficult to convey to your wife and son.

Leaning onto the shot helps. Might be a bit much for new shooter with all the other stuff running around in their head like sight alignment, etc., but maybe the suggestion of mental picture of locking the wrist would help.

There is another key to locking the wrist that comes almost naturally to some, and that is a high grip on the gun. If your strong hand is high and you lay in your support hand high as well, with the support hand index finger jammed as tight as possible under the trigger guard it naturally rotates the support hand slightly at the wrist to resist recoil. I think Enos mentions that he rotates his wrist in the article I referred to previously.

Having said all that, it may be impossible for your wife and son to get a proper grip on the gun, with a high grip and still reach the trigger. The trigger reach is a little long for some, and it maybe be forcing a grip that drives their hand lower on the grip, exacerbating muzzle flip.
__________________
Shoot Safe
ipscshooter
_______________
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:42   #34
Deadduck
Member
 
Deadduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Bayou State
Posts: 95
As you have seen, the 26 and 27 slides are NOT identical. The conversion barrels are cool range toys, but have no place in a defensive weapon IMO. To reliably change calibers, you really need to replace the whole slide. And I doubt a 2 lb lighter spring is really going to make that much difference in the performance of the weapon.

Personally, I would get rid of the 27 and replace it with either a 19 or a 26. Your wife and son would find it much easier to shoot, and if you're like me, you'll enjoy it more too. I have a 19, a 26, and a 23. I shoot the 19 and 26 slightly better in combat style shooting than I do the 23. I have fired the 27 and don't particularly care for it.

Honestly though, with your wife having trouble racking the slide and limp wristing, why not consider a good .38 revolver for her. A lot of ladies have trouble with semi-autos. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Down the road, if she has practiced enough and mastered the Glock, then use it for self defense.
__________________
Geaux Tigers!!!!

Last edited by Deadduck; 02-19-2013 at 16:58..
Deadduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:52   #35
BMiracletx
Senior Member
 
BMiracletx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadduck View Post
Personally, I would get rid of the 27 and replace it with either a 19 or a 26. Your wife and son would find it much easier to shoot, and if you're like me, you'll enjoy it more too.
I agree 100%. There is not enough difference in the power of a 9mm and a 40 to justify keeping it and them not being able to shoot it properly. In the event the gun needs to be used and you are not there, do you trust it enough to protect the life of your wife and child/ren?

As previously mentioned, a revolver might be another good option.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31   #36
Phases
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 131
Hey guys. Didn't get the email notice this time, glad I popped in. Yeah if the spring doesn't do the trick we're going to have to find her another option. She's fairly glock-set because of the safe action trigger system.

Let me ask this. It was explained when we were looking at choices at our dealer that the glock, you know, drop it and toss it, it won't fire. The revolver we were looking at, he said if you drop it - it'll fire.

Is that with the hammer pulled, or without? Or without because it could land on the hammer and pull it back enough to fire it?

Just curious..

But anyway. Yeah they've gotten better with practice in both shooting and pulling the slide back. My boy pulls it back fine now either method, and my wife CAN pull it back and release either way, but is comfortable with opposing hands method. I don't know till we try it, but we're thinkin the spring might really just take the edge off and help. But recognize that it may not and we may need to find another choice for her.

As for the teen - he surprisingly loves the .40 so.. shrug, not really an issue for him what we do. He's a pretty darn good shot too, might I add. Have I mentioned that?

I just wish I'd hear back from the company. I emailed them 3 separate times asking for shipping or backorder information. It's been nearly two weeks..
Phases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05   #37
BMiracletx
Senior Member
 
BMiracletx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phases View Post
Hey guys. Didn't get the email notice this time, glad I popped in. Yeah if the spring doesn't do the trick we're going to have to find her another option. She's fairly glock-set because of the safe action trigger system.

Let me ask this. It was explained when we were looking at choices at our dealer that the glock, you know, drop it and toss it, it won't fire. The revolver we were looking at, he said if you drop it - it'll fire.

Is that with the hammer pulled, or without? Or without because it could land on the hammer and pull it back enough to fire it?

Just curious..

But anyway. Yeah they've gotten better with practice in both shooting and pulling the slide back. My boy pulls it back fine now either method, and my wife CAN pull it back and release either way, but is comfortable with opposing hands method. I don't know till we try it, but we're thinkin the spring might really just take the edge off and help. But recognize that it may not and we may need to find another choice for her.

As for the teen - he surprisingly loves the .40 so.. shrug, not really an issue for him what we do. He's a pretty darn good shot too, might I add. Have I mentioned that?

I just wish I'd hear back from the company. I emailed them 3 separate times asking for shipping or backorder information. It's been nearly two weeks..
I don' think this is likely. Most modern revolvers have a transfer bar system. If the trigger is not fully depressed to the rear to raise this bar, then the hammer can not hit the firing pin. It acts similar to a firing pin block, instead of blocking the firing pin, it simply doesnt allow the hammer to hit the firing pin. Older revolvers have a "spur" on the hammer that would rest in contact with the primer. It could fire if it was dropped and it landed on the hammer. Thats why in the older days they only carried 5 rounds in the cylinder with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Newer revolvers with the transfer bar system prevent this. You would be okay with a modern, new production revolver. I don't know of any (other than old clones) that do not have the transfer bar system.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07   #38
Phases
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiracletx View Post
I don' think this is likely. Most modern revolvers have a transfer bar system. If the trigger is not fully depressed to the rear to raise this bar, then the hammer can not hit the firing pin. It acts similar to a firing pin block, instead of blocking the firing pin, it simply doesnt allow the hammer to hit the firing pin. Older revolvers have a "spur" on the hammer that would rest in contact with the primer. It could fire if it was dropped and it landed on the hammer. Thats why in the older days they only carried 5 rounds in the cylinder with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Newer revolvers with the transfer bar system prevent this. You would be okay with a modern, new production revolver. I don't know of any (other than old clones) that do not have the transfer bar system.
That's great to hear.
Phases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:31   #39
rdunk
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 66
"2. She has a hard time cycling the slide or locking it back on her own anyway. The 11 or 12 percent reduction in poundage might help with that".

Here is a short video that might help her with racking the slide. This is presented by another female, and her racking method is very simple.


Last edited by rdunk; 02-20-2013 at 11:35..
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:51   #40
Phases
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 131
Well, that's the last time I order from glockstore.com. It's been over two weeks since I ordered, and I've emailed a few times to the address they specify for order inquiries. No one will respond and I've never been able to get anyone on the phone.

:\

I realize it's a busy time but they could at least reply, or send out a mass email like MidwayUSA did..

Last edited by Phases; 02-25-2013 at 11:52..
Phases is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 963
317 Members
646 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31