Old 02-18-2013, 20:20   #81
Pepiot

Nope..
Old 02-19-2013, 02:47   #82
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
IMO the caliber doesn't cause the flinch.
I agree. Flinch is a shooter issue and has nothing to do with the gun. To get rid of it requires practice and a bit of not being a wuss.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15   #83
G29SFWTF

I think flinching comes at least in part by lack of confidence in the connection between your hand and the gun. An aggressive grip texture will make you confident that you will not lose control of the gun during recoil, and give you the luxury of a firm grip without being a death grip. And you'll be less likely to involuntarily anticipate the recoil, or flinch.

Here is my G29 with 60 grit silicon carbide. I can shoot the hottest 10mm Underwood rounds and it does jump pretty good, but I just make sure my stance is solid and it comes right back down on target after each shot.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by G29SFWTF; 02-19-2013 at 07:17..
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12   #84
cfr

So I went out a couple days ago after spending as much on .22 ammo as folks typically do on gold.

100 rounds through my G26 AA conversion. Then another 100 rounds of 9MM with snap caps mixed in. My flinch wasn't completely eliminated, but not nearly as bad (like 95% improved probably).

I didn't shoot any .40 simply due to current economic/ ammo conditions, but I suspect the outcome would have been similar.
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14   #85
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Hey everybody drops shots now and then. Perfection is elusive.

Next time you shoot the .40 concentrate heavy on just the first mag. After all if you can come out of the holster and hit well with your first magazine full you've achieved the crux of the biscuit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:24   #86
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

A little perspective, over 80% of officer fatalities are within 21'. So in a defensive situation that close you might make a belly or groin shot instead of a chest shot, that's still going to change the BGs program enough for you to make follow up shot(s).

Short Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:08   #87
blk69stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
There's a lot of rooster struttin' going on here. That's great if you shoot the .40 well, you're not exactly in rarified air. However if you haven't noticed that .40 has a snappier recoil than 9mm and .45acp and that it is harder for new shooters to master, then you really haven't been paying attention.

Well, to be honest, I don't really notice much difference in recoil between those calibers anymore. When I first started shooting, I might have noticed it, but anymore the difference in percieved recoil has blurred. 45 feels like a soft shooter, 40 feels "normal", and 9mm feels downright weak (practically nonexistent). To me, I would consider hot 10mm, 44 mag, and 454 "stout but managable". Now surprisingly enough, if I shoot my wife's lightweight snubbie .38 with some of the "police load" 158gr LRNs, THAT becomes unpleasant recoil... something about the balance of the gun and the solid backstrap makes each shot "sting" your palm like a baseball bat when you hit outside the sweet spot. Not really "heavy" recoil, because it isn't... it just stings and makes it unpleasant.

Weird, I know, but I'd rather shoot a 44mag than that little 38.

Really though, recoil is all about perception. If you are percieving the recoil and it's throwing off your shot, you need to slow down and concentrate on the front sight more:

-Front sight in focus, target and rear sight blurred
-Apply increasing pressure to the trigger SLOWLY. Take AT LEAST 5 seconds to pull the trigger. If you feel a flinch coming on, slow down. Make the trigger pull take 30 seconds.
-The trigger break should surprise you. As my dad told me "you just keep the sights on target and apply pressure. The gun will go off when it knows it's ready."
-follow through. Keep focus on the front sight, bring gun back on target before lowering the gun and/or changing focus to the target. Better yet, don't look at the target, don't worry about where you hit until after shooting, and DON'T "chase" your hits on the paper.

Last edited by blk69stang; 02-24-2013 at 12:09..
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:41   #88
Will Beararms

My gen 4 G22 abates much more recoil than the Gen 2 Glock 22. It fits my hand better. A firearm is a tool to me. As Clint Smith says they are meant to be comfortING not comfortABLE.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49   #89
joecoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk69stang View Post
Well, to be honest, I don't really notice much difference in recoil between those calibers anymore. When I first started shooting, I might have noticed it, but anymore the difference in percieved recoil has blurred. 45 feels like a soft shooter, 40 feels "normal", and 9mm feels downright weak (practically nonexistent). To me, I would consider hot 10mm, 44 mag, and 454 "stout but managable". Now surprisingly enough, if I shoot my wife's lightweight snubbie .38 with some of the "police load" 158gr LRNs, THAT becomes unpleasant recoil... something about the balance of the gun and the solid backstrap makes each shot "sting" your palm like a baseball bat when you hit outside the sweet spot. Not really "heavy" recoil, because it isn't... it just stings and makes it unpleasant.

Weird, I know, but I'd rather shoot a 44mag than that little 38.

Really though, recoil is all about perception. If you are percieving the recoil and it's throwing off your shot, you need to slow down and concentrate on the front sight more:

-Front sight in focus, target and rear sight blurred
-Apply increasing pressure to the trigger SLOWLY. Take AT LEAST 5 seconds to pull the trigger. If you feel a flinch coming on, slow down. Make the trigger pull take 30 seconds.
-The trigger break should surprise you. As my dad told me "you just keep the sights on target and apply pressure. The gun will go off when it knows it's ready."
-follow through. Keep focus on the front sight, bring gun back on target before lowering the gun and/or changing focus to the target. Better yet, don't look at the target, don't worry about where you hit until after shooting, and DON'T "chase" your hits on the paper.
Old 02-24-2013, 13:10   #90
dougader

I've never had a problem with flinching when shooting the service calibers, even the 454. But a bud's 475 Linebaugh makes me flinch right away.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 14:30   #91
Tiro Fijo

Face it, some men are meant to ride the trail and others to sit on the Chuckwagon.

Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 16:02   #92
100MMFan

Hold low for big guns. Let er buck.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
100MMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 16:41   #93
kirbinster

As a new shooter I find this very interesting. I rented a G17, G19 and G23 at my range before deciding what to buy. I found I was just as good with the G23 as the G19, but liked the feel of the G17 better. So, I went out and bought a new G22 gen4. The first shot I fired was dead center, you should have seen the smile on my face. But a friend (some friend, right?) told me that .40 cal is too snappy and I should stick to 9mm. Now I find I am flinching with the .40 cal since he put that in my head. I am going to take the suggestion of very slowly pulling so it surprises me again.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote