Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 20:34   #61
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
"Scared of the .40", "too much recoil", "cant handle the snapiness" -- I asked if the snapiness induced flinching. I then went on to say that I've never minded the .40, but am wondering if its characteristics are causing me more harm than good, and suggested it may be due to my not being able to shoot as much as other folks.

Have any of you read my post, or did you simply assume it was yet another guy complaining about the .40?
I think it can induce more flinch but I believe it's all mental perception and psyching yourself out. In your mind you "know" the .40 will have a little more zip than the 9mm so you can anticipate too much or make unneeded corrections or flinch.

If I give a .40 to my brother he doesn't know jack about guns, he just shoots whatever I hand to him and has fun. If I tell him "This one has a little more kick." He'll shoot crappier because he's thinking about that instead of just aiming and shooting. I stopped saying anything other than if he asks what it is. I no longer make any opinion comments about what we're shooting.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-12-2013 at 20:35..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 20:41   #62
garya1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
I think it can induce more flinch but I believe it's all mental perception and psyching yourself out. In your mind you "know" the .40 will have a little more zip than the 9mm so you can anticipate too much or make unneeded corrections or flinch.

If I give a .40 to my brother he doesn't know jack about guns, he just shoots whatever I hand to him and has fun. If I tell him "This one has a little more kick." He'll shoot crappier because he's thinking about that instead of just aiming and shooting. I stopped saying anything other than if he asks what it is. I no longer make any opinion comments about what we're shooting.
Exactly, they have read on the net that the 40 has more recoil and now they wouldn't have one.

Last edited by garya1961; 02-12-2013 at 20:42..
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 20:48   #63
Dawolf

In full size, no but light carry weapons, like the Walther PPS I had in .40, pretty much. Why it is not in my stable. Replaced by a Baretta Nano in 9mm.
Dawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 22:37   #64
cfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya1961 View Post
Not referring to you, just the whiners.
It occured to me when I was watching TV just now that maybe these comments werent directed at me specifically, and then logged in to see this.

Sincere apologies.
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 00:57   #65
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
It amazes me how many grown men complain about the recoil of Glock .40's when thousands of female LEO's are issued and qualify yearly with them.

Learn how to shoot.

I agree. However, when I mentioned, earlier, something similar, some attempted to pillory me.

Who is John Galt.”

I am certain that most of the illiterates on this forum have no idea what that means, who I am quoting or where it came from. It is nice to know that at least someone on this forum has read a quality book, but I fear that there are not many others.

RJ

Last edited by RJ's Guns; 02-13-2013 at 00:58..
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50   #66
LL6

Or the opposite can be a problem. Around '98 when I part-timed at a range a customer brought in a new .454 he wanted to shoot. We had a petite female who worked there and wanted to try it out, too. She was the consummate target shooter. If I remember she shot a lot of 9mm and some .40 and .45.

She took careful aim with that hand cannon and when it went *bang* the recoil was so much more than she expected the pistol cold-cocked her right in the noggin with the hammer. She was a trooper though because she didn't drop it, but handed it to an onlooker as she crumpled to the floor.

Last edited by LL6; 02-13-2013 at 07:50..
LL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50   #67
mrslippery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
What a bunch of wimps. Get real. Some of you are acting like the 40 S&W is going to rip your hand and arm off each time you shoot it.

In a Glock 22 frame, using the empty weight of 1.43 lb (0.65kg), the following was obtained:

9 mm Luger: Recoil Impulse of 0.78 ms; Recoil Velocity of 17.55 ft/s (5.3 m/s); Recoil Energy of 6.84 ft·lbf (9.3 J)

.357 SIG: Recoil Impulse of 1.06 ms; Recoil velocity of 23.78 ft/s (7.2 m/s); Recoil Energy of 12.56 ft·lbf (17.0 J)

.40 S&W: Recoil impulse of 0.88 ms; Recoil velocity of 19.73 ft/s (6.0 m/s); Recoil Energy of 8.64 ft·lbf (11.7 J)

In a Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum with 7.5-inch barrel, with an empty weight of 3.125 lb (1.417 kg), the following was obtained: .

44 Remington Magnum: Recoil impulse of 1.91 ms; Recoil velocity of 19.69 ft/s (6.0 m/s); Recoil Energy of 18.81 ft·lbf (25.5 J)

In a Smith and Wesson 460 7.5-inch barrel, with an empty weight of 3.5 lb (1.6 kg), the following was obtained:

.460 S&W Magnum: Recoil Impulse of 3.14 ms; Recoil Velocity of 28.91 ft/s (8.8 m/s); Recoil Energy of 45.43 ft·lbf (61.6 J)

In a Smith and Wesson 500 4.5-inch barrel, with an empty weight of 3.5 lb (1.6 kg), the following was obtained:

.500 S&W Magnum: Recoil Impulse of 3.76 ms; Recoil Velocity of 34.63 ft/s (10.6 m/s); Recoil Energy of 65.17 ft·lbf (88.4 J)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil

Learn proper technique and quit letting yourselves be influenced by internet forum BS and spin, generated by people, on the most part, that do not know their anus from a hole in the ground and man up.

I prefer 40 S&W in small carry guns, and I shoot them and survive to tell the tale.

RJ
Very well done RJ.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:55   #68
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

There's a lot of rooster struttin' going on here. That's great if you shoot the .40 well, you're not exactly in rarified air. However if you haven't noticed that .40 has a snappier recoil than 9mm and .45acp and that it is harder for new shooters to master, then you really haven't been paying attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 14:07   #69
garya1961

I want to be able to shoot all calibers(within reason) not just a 9mm.
Old 02-13-2013, 15:40   #70
whoops dude

If you don't like .40 then shoot something else. I love my g22. Makes anything 9mm feel like a toy.

Deuteronomy 15:11
You cannot follow Christ and not care about others.
whoops dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 16:14   #71
joecoastie

Quote:
I agree. However, when I mentioned, earlier, something similar, some attempted to pillory me.

Who is John Galt.”

I am certain that most of the illiterates on this forum have no idea what that means, who I am quoting or where it came from. It is nice to know that at least someone on this forum has read a quality book, but I fear that there are not many others.

RJ

Perhaps I read too much into your post, however I felt the OP asked a legitimate question, he didn't say that .40 was too much for him or that he wasn't man enough, or that it snapped his wrists off, he even stated that he realized that he as the shooter was the problem. While he got some useful responses he also got a lot of exaggerations of what he actually said and several useless statements along the lines of "man up" or "learn how to shoot". How about some useful input on how to deal with flinching? Personally I have found relaxing and repeating either "squeeze squeeze squeeze" or "front sight front sight front sight" in my head as I do my trigger squeeze helps me focus on something else instead of anticipating recoil.
Old 02-13-2013, 16:15   #72
joecoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
There's a lot of rooster struttin' going on here. That's great if you shoot the .40 well, you're not exactly in rarified air. However if you haven't noticed that .40 has a snappier recoil than 9mm and .45acp and that it is harder for new shooters to master, then you really haven't been paying attention.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53   #73
cfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya1961 View Post
I want to be able to shoot all calibers(within reason) not just a 9mm.
Me too, which is why I still own my G22. My concern is not shooting this thing for 6 months, then needing to reclimb the learning curve once I do -- if in fact my hang up is caliber-based.

Who knows, maybe I've simply developed a flinch, and I'll realize it the next time I go shoot a 9.
Old 02-14-2013, 13:49   #74
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Me too, which is why I still own my G22. My concern is not shooting this thing for 6 months, then needing to reclimb the learning curve once I do -- if in fact my hang up is caliber-based.

Who knows, maybe I've simply developed a flinch, and I'll realize it the next time I go shoot a 9.

Shoot a 22LR and see if you flinch with that.

I have gone through periods where I have been plagued with a flinch. There was one period where my flinch was so consistent and persistent that I dialed in a correction with my sights.

RJ
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 15:08   #75
cfr

Quote:
Shoot a 22LR and see if you flinch with that.

I have gone through periods where I have been plagued with a flinch. There was one period where my flinch was so consistent and persistent that I dialed in a correction with my sights.

RJ
Will do... if I can find it.
Old 02-14-2013, 15:34   #76
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

or put a snap cap in the middle of a magazine, better yet have someone else to it. You'll go bang, bang, bang, CLICK and you will see if you flinch on the click.

Old 02-14-2013, 16:28   #77
cfr

Have already done it, and verified that Im flinching.
Old 02-14-2013, 16:31   #78
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

best advice I can give is my first post about talking to yourself. Sounds funny, but I have found it to be effective.

Old 02-14-2013, 19:03   #79
cfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
best advice I can give is my first post about talking to yourself. Sounds funny, but I have found it to be effective.
Im thinking this an .22 shooting will cure what ails me. Thanks to all!
Old 02-18-2013, 19:08   #80
garya1961

Quote:
Im thinking this an .22 shooting will cure what ails me. Thanks to all!
I like my Ruger Mark III.