Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:00   #51
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
Everyone in New England should be forced to relocated to Canada, and then it could be repurposed as a wilderness preserve. New England is beautiful, but the people sure do ruin it.
And everyone in South Carolina should be required to take English lessons. I have no idea what language people speak there, I just know that I can't understand a word they say.
Sorry that you feel that way!!

Yeah, we down-east Mainiacs sometimes get painted with the same broad brush that covers other parts of New England. But once you get east of the Penobscot and north of Bangor, it's a different world. Tust me..we ain't like the others!!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01   #52
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
IL would top my list... and that's mostly because of Chicago. Chicago would be an armpit city even if it had good gun laws.
I have only been through their airport, and never in the city, thankfully.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01   #53
happy seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy infidel View Post
NYC in NY. It's nice to visit...
A few weeks ago my wife and I drove in with her sister/BIL from NJ. We wanted to see the 911 Memorial. BIL got a good parking spot and we began walking in. Soon we were in the funnel, and I saw the 'no guns/pocketknives' signs...
I stashed my little Kershaw in my shoe...
then we rounded the last turn and it's a full on airport magnetron.
I pulled out the knife and held it up to security, the lady at the gate said ask the cop on the other side for it. I was hoping for an amnesty bag or what not.
He says "This is illegal in NYC. Are you PD/FIRE/US soldier"? I reply that I'm not. He says he can confiscate it or we can call involve the police. I tell him to enjoy the pocketknife I've carried for a good ten years. Wanted to tell him that back home in Reasonableville I carry a gun, but followed the GT rule and kept my mouth shut.
We got back to the car (our rental), BIL parked just into a bus zone, the city got us for a $150 parking ticket and a $40 pocketknife. I won't get into the bill at NOBU but my sister in law is never to order dinner again. Ever.

UMHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - NOBU!

"Off to the Salt Mine, My Friend"
happy seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05   #54
The Maggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
I have only been through their airport, and never in the city, thankfully.
I've had the opportunity to explore the city once. It's not a terrible place if you get off the beaten path a bit. Decent food and an interesting environment.

The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06   #55
mtber1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGlock90 View Post
Michigan! Nothin good comes from that state. I feel like its self explanatory why I don't like it there.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Ever been to the UP? It is beautiful up there.
mtber1172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08   #56
happy seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
MARYLAND!!!
What a dung-heap!!

There are TWO things about Maryland, that are nice.

1. Deep Creek Lake.
2. The highways leading out of the state!!!!!

Maryland. "The Free State." BOVINE SCATOLOGY!!!!!!!!

I'm not into cutting down any of our states but Md has my vote. I worked in and around Md for 6 years and it is dark and rough.

"Off to the Salt Mine, My Friend"
happy seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13   #57
attrapereves

I've been to a lot of states, and all of them offer something a little different. I love the midwest, especially the Dakotas. I like the low population. California is a beautiful state, but I'd never live there because of the politics and massive population.

I used to live in NC and hated it. Can't understand why so many northerners move there. Florida is nice for vacation, but I'd never live there. Actually, I don't really care for the South in general. My favorite region, the Midwest has hospitality, but lacks the crime and poverty of some places in the South. Oregon and Washington are nice too, but I can't see myself living on the W coast.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14   #58
nursetim

Well since you asked. New Mexico, or should I say, little Mexico. Some pretty country but that is the only good thing I can say about it. I encountered more overt racism there that I did in Korea.

Let me illustrate. My wife and I walk into a clothing store, national chain, a group of employees where in a corner talking. No greeting despite eye contact. We look around and they made no attempt to help us find what we were looking for. I say "excuse me" in a little louder than normal voice, nada. A Hispanic couple walks in and the immediately get help. That is just one example of many.

The population works very hard, to avoid working. If they put as much effort into working as they do avoiding work, I bet their GDP would rival California or Texas.

Let's talk about green chille. It is in EVERYTHING, ice cream, wine and everything in between. They mix it in with vomit, or is it menudo? Or pasole.

Not allowed to conceal a back up gun.

That is one license I'll let expire. I would much rather live in my car than live in a mansion in nm.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31   #59
G17Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Well since you asked. New Mexico, or should I say, little Mexico. Some pretty country but that is the only good thing I can say about it. I encountered more overt racism there that I did in Korea.

Let me illustrate. My wife and I walk into a clothing store, national chain, a group of employees where in a corner talking. No greeting despite eye contact. We look around and they made no attempt to help us find what we were looking for. I say "excuse me" in a little louder than normal voice, nada. A Hispanic couple walks in and the immediately get help. That is just one example of many.

The population works very hard, to avoid working. If they put as much effort into working as they do avoiding work, I bet their GDP would rival California or Texas.

Let's talk about green chille. It is in EVERYTHING, ice cream, wine and everything in between. They mix it in with vomit, or is it menudo? Or pasole.

That is one license I'll let expire. I would much rather live in my car than live in a mansion in nm.
I found most people in NM that weren't cholo to be friendly. Much more so than midwesterners.
G17Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35   #60
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post

I almost moved to NM a few years ago. I applied to UNM for graduate school, but decided to go elsewhere. Albuquerque seemed nice, but it was too big for me and didn't have a college town feel to it.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35   #61
Foxterriermom

Places I have lived:

Upstate New York - 18 years
Iowa - 4 years
Kansas - 2.5 years
Texas - 3.5 years
Tennessee - 1 year
Louisiana - 3 years
South Dakota - 3 years
Texas (again) - 16.5 years

I have enjoyed each and every state I have ever lived in and found each one to have an individual beauty all of it's own that I could identify with and appreciate. I have also found that people are the same no matter where you live - there will always be jerks, scum, *****e$, as well as your salt of the earth, compassionate, give you the shirt off their back, and plain old good folks. I think what you choose to focus on has a lot to do with how you perceive your experience in any given place. Had I chosen to focus on the negative of a couple of those locations in particular, I could have made myself absolutley miserable. But, I didn't, and I have had wonderful times in each and every state I had the opportunity to live in.
Foxterriermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49   #62
G-34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
If it wasn't for the winters, I'd be living in North Dakota right now.

this year wasnt bad at all, i lived here for over half my life and never had a problem.

and i cant handle cold at all and im just fine

"There is nothing so terrible as ignorance in motion.."
-Skyhook
G-34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:25   #63
nursetim

I really like so dak, except for their "mild" winter. When you walk out and ice crystals start forming on your eyeballs, that's to damn cold for me. The wind is wicked. The cold I can deal with, but add the wind chill, no mas.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46   #64
Jeffrey Lebowski
Not a golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
I remember seeing some research to determine if Kansas is actually flatter than a pancake.
I don't live there or particularly like it, but there are clearly rolling hills as you head West on 70.

Compare the lowest and highest points here: http://www.50states.com/kansas.htm#.URfcrKVbl0g
Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:58   #65
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maggy View Post
Kansas. I don't think that there is more than a 5 foot change of elevation across the entire state.
I've mainly been to Ft. Riley and there are hills all over the place.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:59   #66
jtauke

New Mexico, hands down.
jtauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:10   #67
SPIN2010
Searching ...

... many but the worst is Ohio. Three hits:

- kenyan state
- takers outweigh the workers
- PERMA-CLOUD
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:14   #68
battlin bulldog
sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by larson1122 View Post
Wisconsin. Too much Packers paraphernalia for me. They plaster that logo on absolutely everything.
Those reasons are why i love it
Old 02-10-2013, 11:16   #69
bear62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtauke View Post
New Mexico, hands down.
I definitely wouldn't want to live in New Mexico but I do like to visit or vacation there on occasion (normally once a year). Lots of beautiful interesting places to see and explore.

Admittedly lots of NM is extremely dirty ..... roadside parks, etc. Some cities in NM are extremely dangerous..... Las Vegas, NM and Espanola, NM (and a few others) come to mind... Visiting these two places can be risky ...... Be armed and alert....

Last edited by bear62; 02-10-2013 at 11:17..
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17   #70
Slug71

Gun rights aside, I don't care for Oregon(live here), New Jersey or Rhode Island.

Places I would never live in because of gun rights, California, Illinois, New York, Mass.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22   #71
HarleyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGlock90 View Post
Michigan! Nothin good comes from that state. I feel like its self explanatory why I don't like it there.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
In comparison to Ohio, Michigan is "God's Country"!
I've lived in OH, drove through it too many times to count, and I can truthfully say that Michigan has much more to offer.

I will admit that Detroit can (and should be) scary to visitors but there's much more to Michigan than just Detroit.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:26   #72
Dave.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maggy View Post
Kansas. I don't think that there is more than a 5 foot change of elevation across the entire state.
Wouldn't mountains just block the view?

Dave
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:56   #73
glocking26

New Jersey
New Jersey
New Jersey
New Jersey
glocking26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:00   #74
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Pretty much every northern state. I don't care if I ever go north of Kentucky ever again.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:09   #75
gordonfactor

Well as someone that was born in and lived in Massachusetts for pretty much my whole life I can tell you I can't wait to escape, again.

The traffic around the Boston area, the attitude of people, the ever increasing level of taxation and other ridiculous laws, especially gun laws, and other daily annoyances.

There are a few good things like the
variety of food, proximity to the ocean and the recently great local pro sports teams that make it bearable.

Massachusetts, where it's not illegal to illegal but you're jailed for driving in a snow storm with a 20oz Coke

I plan to head north to NH in a year or two. Long term, I'm thinking south like the Carolinas or Florida.
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
COMMITTED GLOCK-O-HOLIC
gordonfactor is offline   Reply With Quote