Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2013, 22:49   #1
greenlion

Magazine Ban could revive 45 GAP

If there is a magazine ban that restricts capacity to 10 (or 7) it could make the 45 GAP look much more attractive again.

In addition, if GLOCK would give the 45 GAP the same new slide width as the new 30s, it would be the same size as the 9mm guns and hold as many rounds (considering a mag ban)

The compact GLOCK 38 with a 30s sized slide might just be the perfect GLOCK, if the GAP cartridge was much more common in stores.
greenlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 22:57   #2
greenlion

Forgot to mention, they should go ahead and make it a Gen4 with the new dual recoil spring to tame felt recoil a bit too. Should work better than a Gen3 spring with the slimmer 30s style slide...
Old 02-09-2013, 23:08   #3
RPVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
Forgot to mention, they should go ahead and make it a Gen4 with the new dual recoil spring to tame felt recoil a bit too. Should work better than a Gen3 spring with the slimmer 30s style slide...
IIRC, all .45 Glocks (ACP and GAP) have a dual RSA.
Old 02-09-2013, 23:26   #4
jeremy1

My gen 3 G37 has the same spring as the G17. I would guess the 38 is the same as well
Old 02-09-2013, 23:35   #5
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
If there is a magazine ban that restricts capacity to 10 (or 7) it could make the 45 GAP look much more attractive again.

In addition, if GLOCK would give the 45 GAP the same new slide width as the new 30s, it would be the same size as the 9mm guns and hold as many rounds (considering a mag ban).
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 23:46   #6
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

When the GAP was first talked about I was very interested because I in fact thought it would be the same size as the 9mm and 40 platforms. When I finally saw it in person, I had no desire. If I am going to carry the fat slide, I'm going to carry an ACP. Now in all fairness I have shot the GAP and it is a very nice performing round. It does resemble the ACP in recoil characteristics as I perceive it. So yes I would consider and probably would carry one on for duty if it was in fact exactly the same size as the 9, and 40 pistols.

This would also help it gain greater acceptance in the LE field as there would be no need to change equipment, IE duty holsters, mag pouches etc. Why not carry a 45 caliber pistol that is exactly the same dimensions as a 9mm. While I have nothing against the 9, as I currently carry one on duty, I do prefer a 45 caliber round. And no I have no interest in carrying a 40 again.

For Glock to use the multi spring RSA on a redesigned GAP pistol, they would have to use 4th Gen frames. The only Gen 3 glocks with multi spring guide rods were the 26/27/28/29/30/33/39 including SF variants. All other 3rd gen frames use a single spring system even the GAP 37, and 38.

TXPO
Certainly, Certifiable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
"DUMP THE HUMP"

Last edited by TexasPOff; 02-09-2013 at 23:53..
TexasPOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 23:58   #7
ImpeachObama
Fuhgettaboutit

The 38 measures smaller than the new 30S. The line of sight and barrel length with the 38 is a spec longer even thou it is smaller/shorter. I'm not sure the 30S make since other than it takes ACP instead of GAP.
ImpeachObama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 00:21   #8
Slug71

No G39s on Gunbroker at the moment. Been that way for the past week.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10   #9
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
In addition, if GLOCK would give the 45 GAP the same new slide width as the new 30s, it would be the same size as the 9mm guns and hold as many rounds (considering a mag ban)

The compact GLOCK 38 with a 30s sized slide might just be the perfect GLOCK, if the GAP cartridge was much more common in stores.
I was just thinking, now that there is a G30S, is it time for a G37S?

I think the GAPs would have been more popular if they could use the same holsters as their other small frame counterparts.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18   #10
Bruce M

It is an interesting question as to whether slimming down a GAP slide would increase desirability.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36   #11
greenlion

Everyone is always wanting either a single stack 45 GLOCK or a compact one the same size as a GLOCK 19. This would fit the description perfectly if it had the slimmer 30s sized slide.

The GAP (if it were more common) does have some advantages for reloaders too. It uses less powder to reach the same velocities as the 45acp, and uses smaller primers which USE TO BE less expensive. It is also a higher pressure round than the ACP. I know when I began reloading 45 acp after using only 9mm and 40 for years, It took me a while to realize that you cannot use the same powders that work great in the high pressure 9mm and 40 and expect it to work the same in 45 acp. Some powders (universal for example) need high pressure to burn completely.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39   #12
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
It is an interesting question as to whether slimming down a GAP slide would increase desirability.
I believe it would.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51   #13
greenlion

I know a lot of you will be crazy about the G30s, but to be honest, I don't get it. The part of a GLOCK that I find hardest to conceal is the grip, not the slide. The slide may be a bit fatter in your waistband, but that fat grip is what keeps me from carrying a G30sf. The 30s has exactly the same fat grip, so it will conceal no better for me.

If the GAP pistols were made with the slimmer slide, they would be more concealable on both ends. Imagine a G39 the same size as a G26 9mm.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54   #14
DannyR

The first prototype G37's had slimmer slides. During extensive testing of the 12 prototypes, it was determined that they needed heavier slides. The prototype G37 introduced at the 2003 Shot Show actually had a slimmer slide. Testing also determined that the GAP needed small pistol primers.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57   #15
CDW4ME

No magazine restriction was necessary for me to think the Glock 38 is a great CC pistol.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59   #16
mgentry

+1 for 45 GAP - Great round!
mgentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:57   #17
ggarciatx
Cold War Sailor

I honestly think it will hurt the GAP more.

Right now there is demand for ammo. 9mm, .223, 5.56, .40, .45ACP and 22LR. The companies are not naive and will make this ammo before they make any other ammo for odd-ball calibers like .357 SIG, .45 GAP, 10MM, etc...........
There are way more guns in the common calibers that need ammo supplied for. Whatever ammo on the shelves or internet for those odd-ball calibers will be it for a while until they catch up with the common calibers. People will buy G26, G27, and G30 cause they know that the Wal-Marts, Academy's, Gander Mountains, Cabellas will get the common calibers before the odd-balls. I think this might have been the second to last nail in the coffin for odd-ball calibers. After this panic, I honestly don't beleive that we will see ammo stacked and shelved at retailers like it was before January 2013. I am estimating a year or two to get things stable and see ammo almost like it was. That would be without more threats of gun legislation. The Pro 2A citizens learned not to be caught off guard again.

In Memory of my Father Jose C. Garcia USMC 2ND Marine Division WW2. Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, Okinawa and Occupation forces of Japan. 4th battalion/10th Marines :usmc:
ggarciatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:18   #18
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1 View Post
My gen 3 G37 has the same spring as the G17. I would guess the 38 is the same as well
Correct: My gen3 G38 has the single recoil spring.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:25   #19
MrVvrroomm

Quote:
You know they already make the 37 in Gen4 right?

Caliber Corner

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:33   #20
AgentM79
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
The first prototype G37's had slimmer slides. During extensive testing of the 12 prototypes, it was determined that they needed heavier slides. The prototype G37 introduced at the 2003 Shot Show actually had a slimmer slide. Testing also determined that the GAP needed small pistol primers.
There have been several threads where the potential of the GAP/"S" slide combo has been mentioned, and I've jumped-in on each one. I think the unanswered question is whether or not a full-size "S" slide if feasible, and whether or not it would succeed, durability-wise, where it's predecessors failed in Glock's prototype tests. And, whether it would fit a 9mm/.40-sized "service" holster (i.e. Safariland 295, 070, 6360ALS, or Blackhawk's "Serpa")

Being that there have been no known durability issues with the G36 (though sporadically-reported reliability issues have been mentioned here on GT; I've never owned or fired a G36 so I can't comment), and the gun is rated for unlimited +P .45ACP ammo, one could logically conclude that a slimmer-slide .45GAP pistol is feasible.

Like DannyR, I am a huge fan of the .45GAP. I like the power, reliability, ergonomics, and soft-shooting handling characteristics. I just don't know what would be lost by slimming-down the slide on a G37, G38, or G39. Maybe they just got it exactly "right" with a .45 slide on a 9mm frame.
Remington 870 Police Magnum, Benelli M1 S90
Smith & Wesson 13-2, 16-3, 36, 66-3, 681-3, 3000
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capacity, gap, magazine