Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2013, 22:36   #1
ithaca_deerslayer

You should get a 1911

If you don't already have one, you should get a 1911 for the fun of it.

I don't have one for my carry needs because I lean Glock 26 there. But I have a fullsize 1911 for fun at the range.

Lots of guns are fun to shoot, but I've really been having a lot of fun with my Taurus 1911 aluminum, with rail. I know, you can buy a prettier and better example of a 1911. But even so, mine has just been great fun.

Must be because it is winter time. My range is 200 yards away, through snow. I like to walk out there (or ski out there) and shoot at a steel swinging plate I have hanging out there. In summer I usually post paper targets, but don't bother with that in winter.

The .45acp clangs the steel nicely

At risk of controversy, it is fun how slow the recoil impulse of the .45 is. I prefer the quicker pace of the 9mm for carry. I know, some great shooters will think I'm talking crap, because they are plenty fast. I'm just saying, with me, the .45 seems to have a big magnified slow motion recoil. It is pleasant and gives me lots of time to think about my next shot, or do some daydreaming, while it is coming back down to get on target.

The 1911, at least my Taurus with large beaver tail and checkering all the way around the full length straight grip, feels comfy in my hand. The .45 230gr FMJ target/plinking rounds give a slow, gentle, push back, as the barrel rises.

A Glock 36 may be next on my list to try. Not sure if I'll ever switch away from carrying 9mm, but in the meantime the 1911 is a blast.

Old 02-17-2013, 22:41   #2
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
If you don't already have one, you should get a 1911 for the fun of it.

I don't have one for my carry needs because I lean Glock 26 there. But I have a fullsize 1911 for fun at the range.

Lots of guns are fun to shoot, but I've really been having a lot of fun with my Taurus 1911 aluminum, with rail. I know, you can buy a prettier and better example of a 1911. But even so, mine has just been great fun.

Must be because it is winter time. My range is 200 yards away, through snow. I like to walk out there (or ski out there) and shoot at a steel swinging plate I have hanging out there. In summer I usually post paper targets, but don't bother with that in winter.

The .45acp clangs the steel nicely

At risk of controversy, it is fun how slow the recoil impulse of the .45 is. I prefer the quicker pace of the 9mm for carry. I know, some great shooters will think I'm talking crap, because they are plenty fast. I'm just saying, with me, the .45 seems to have a big magnified slow motion recoil. It is pleasant and gives me lots of time to think about my next shot, or do some daydreaming, while it is coming back down to get on target.

The 1911, at least my Taurus with large beaver tail and checkering all the way around the full length straight grip, feels comfy in my hand. The .45 230gr FMJ target/plinking rounds give a slow, gentle, push back, as the barrel rises.

A Glock 36 may be next on my list to try. Not sure if I'll ever switch away from carrying 9mm, but in the meantime the 1911 is a blast.

Sounds like a real 1911 and 45acp love story. I'm down with it.

I love the 45 acp out of any handgun, thats why almost all of my autoloaders are chambered in it, but I love it the most when fired from a 1911. Something about it, they just go together like biscuits and gravy.
Old 02-17-2013, 22:46   #3
ETNSHOOTER

I think anyone that likes handguns and shoots, should have a 1911. There super fun at the range. But, for Carry, I like my G26 too. LCR 38 if I'm in shorts.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ETNSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 22:52   #4
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
Sounds like a real 1911 and 45acp love story. I'm down with it.
Me too!
Old 02-17-2013, 23:46   #5
G26S239
NRA Patron

I got my first 1911 in 1982. I never did understand those who said it kicks hard or is hard to field strip and maintain. Right now I have 3 Kimbers and a Les Baer TRS. I will have those until I die. I doubt that I will get any more. If the budget allowed I would not mind having an Ed Brown Executive Elite.
Old 02-17-2013, 23:52   #6
xtreme99
What's a Glock?

I was just out shooting my 1911s this weekend. I have three of them. All are great shooters, and I carry my Para Ordnance P14-45 daily. The 1911 is what I grew up on. Since I was old enough to shoot, I've been shooting that round on that platform.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
xtreme99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 00:18   #7
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme99 View Post
I was just out shooting my 1911s this weekend. I have three of them. All are great shooters, and I carry my Para Ordnance P14-45 daily. The 1911 is what I grew up on. Since I was old enough to shoot, I've been shooting that round on that platform.
I never shot a 1911 until I bought my first one at age 23. But I always considered it to be a pistol to have from watching To Hell And Back, Fighting Seabees, Rat Patrol and all the other WWII movies and TV shows from my ute.
Old 02-18-2013, 18:35   #8
bwvan

I'm surprised that no one has bashed your Taurus up to this point. I have a Colt GCNM, Officer's Model, Rem R1 and Taurus PT1911DT. The Taurus works just as well as any of the others and I have no complaints about them!

You may want to give the G36 a try sometime. It is very thin, packs well IWB and shoots great.
bwvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 18:54   #9
garya1961

Well, the last time I mentioned my PT1911 on here I was was laughed at, called a dumbass and told my gun was junk. If a gun works it don't matter who made it. I like my PT1911 and it shoots great.
For every Taurus 1911 you hear about having a problem on the net there is at least a 1000 you don't hear about that runs fine. Kimbers seem to have their problems too but no one calls them junk.
Thanks for the post, I'll get mine out tomorrow and shoot it.

Last edited by garya1961; 02-18-2013 at 19:01..
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 18:55   #10
bac1023

The 1911 is a great platform. Glad you like it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 19:40   #11
G36shooter

There are those that dog on the Taurus PT1911 But my SS mdl. has been a great value and a great shooter. No matter what, the 1911 is a great platform no matter what the manufacturer.
G36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 21:24   #12
ithaca_deerslayer

My Taurus shoots nice, but it is not reliable enough for me to carry. I've shot it in IDPA.

It occasionally leaves an empty in the chamber. Maybe 1 out 500 rounds. Probably needs the extractor better tuned.

I also only have two good mags for it. 2 others it came with are obviously a different make (crap made for Taurus) and lesser quality.

I bought one aftermarket mag that I thought was similar to the good Taurus mags, but that one doesn't allow chambering the first round too well. But once chambered it works.

In my opinion, Taurus pulled a fast one with the 2 junk mags, and the too big of gap with the extractor fit.

I have a friend who knows a lot about 1911's and some day I'll get him to tune the extractor for me.

What I do like a lot about the Taurus is the overall grip and beavertail fitting and design. It is very comfortable and ergonomic to me, whereas I've seen less comfort with some other brands. I also like the trigger and sights. I'm not fond of the ILS in the hammer.

The gun is pretty accurate for me.

I could pay for shipping back to Taurus, but I don't trust they'd actually fix anything. I could buy a new extractor and have someone fit it for me. I could buy a bunch of different mags until I found a type that works. I could have someone change out the hammer for me.

That is all on a to do list. But I still like shooting it, and have other guns for carry

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 02-18-2013 at 21:27..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 21:46   #13
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I concur. The 1911 is a lot of fun and the .45 ACP is very pleasant to shoot.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36   #14
CBennett

nice gun my next hadnguns will be a 1911(something on the less spendy side but still nice/reliable) or a HKP7
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21   #15
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
My fiance is buying me a Remington R1 for a wedding present. Shes a keeper!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NickC50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54   #16
Lvs1935

Nothing could take the place of my Colt's. No handgun feels better in my hand than the 1911. I feel very comfortable carrying cocked and locked. I am still shooting my Combat Elite I bought around 26 years ago.
Lvs1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39   #17
countrygun

Talk about someone covering both ends of the spectrum it's my wife. First she brings home Kimber Ultra Raptor II CS despite my predictions, it runs great. Then She brings home a Springfield Trophy Match, supposedly for me as a "carry gun" (Yah like that is going to happen, I have a Kimber Compact thank you) Just too nice and valuable for EDC. Sooo, in keeping with the Taurus streak a PT1911 comes home.

I like it, I really like it. 100% so far, as accurate offhand as I can expect. I don't like the Ambi safety, but other than that it's got some neat features including serrations under the trigger guard which is a nice touch I appreciate. So far the Factory mags work, but I have a whole bunch of other options around here so I don't depend on the Taurus mags.

Heck it's even got a nice trigger.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 14:29   #18
motorcyclist

I'm one of the heretics. I've shot a few and liked them, but I fail to see the attraction some have for them. Maybe because I'm left handed. Nicest 45acp I've shot has been a Beretta cougar.
motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:03   #19
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a 1911 on my "need one eventually" list, as I cannot even pretend to have something resembling a "collection" of firearms without one, but it might be awhile. I just don't see a need, and money isn't limited. My firearms are primarily for defensive use, none of my handguns have manual safeties, and I don't want any of them to have manual safeties. I also end up, every time I talk about bet-your-life reliable and durable 1911s with the 1911 gurus, come away realizing such a 1911 would cost noticeably more than my Glocks. At that point I'd just try out an HK.

One of these decades I'll get a 1911

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:48   #20
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvan View Post
I'm surprised that no one has bashed your Taurus up to this point. I have a Colt GCNM, Officer's Model, Rem R1 and Taurus PT1911DT. The Taurus works just as well as any of the others and I have no complaints about them!

You may want to give the G36 a try sometime. It is very thin, packs well IWB and shoots great.

Well, he didnt ask our opinions, he just was sharing his experience. He seems perfectly happy with his pistol, which is most important, and I certainly didnt hear him comparing it to a 2k dollar custom gun, like Taurus themselves tried to.

In fact he seems like a pretty well reasoned person to me with this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
My Taurus shoots nice, but it is not reliable enough for me to carry. I've shot it in IDPA.

It occasionally leaves an empty in the chamber. Maybe 1 out 500 rounds. Probably needs the extractor better tuned.

I also only have two good mags for it. 2 others it came with are obviously a different make (crap made for Taurus) and lesser quality.

I bought one aftermarket mag that I thought was similar to the good Taurus mags, but that one doesn't allow chambering the first round too well. But once chambered it works.

In my opinion, Taurus pulled a fast one with the 2 junk mags, and the too big of gap with the extractor fit.

I have a friend who knows a lot about 1911's and some day I'll get him to tune the extractor for me.

What I do like a lot about the Taurus is the overall grip and beavertail fitting and design. It is very comfortable and ergonomic to me, whereas I've seen less comfort with some other brands. I also like the trigger and sights. I'm not fond of the ILS in the hammer.

The gun is pretty accurate for me.

I could pay for shipping back to Taurus, but I don't trust they'd actually fix anything. I could buy a new extractor and have someone fit it for me. I could buy a bunch of different mags until I found a type that works. I could have someone change out the hammer for me.

That is all on a to do list. But I still like shooting it, and have other guns for carry

***RIP Okie, GT will never be the same without you Mr Mayor!***
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote