GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2013, 15:01   #1
mr00jimbo

Does modifying pistols increase or decrease their value?

I don't know why but any time I see a heavily modified 1911 like a Colt or a Springfield, the work generally looks awful and sometimes mods to things like the feed ramp make me cringe.

It seems to be the case that guns are set up to run right from the factory, most of the time.

I have had a local 'smith modify my SP01 with some parts, including a competition hammer, extended firing pin spring, etc.
The trigger pull is great on it now.
But if whatever reason I wanted it to be stock, I have all the parts and could easily swap it back.

But sometimes people modify guns permanently, including screwing with 1911 frame/slide fit and feed ramp and dremel work on stuff that ruins the gun. Also, swapping out stock parts and selling them off/losing them and having a gun made from random manufacturers. I seem to see this a lot in 1911 stuff.

I can see legitimate custom shop work increasing the value of a gun, but amateur kitchen table smith jobs to me makes the gun seem less valueable, even if people swear up and down otherwise.

Your thoughts?
Old 02-10-2013, 15:11   #2
glock2740
Gun lover.

I hope it doesn't hurt the value, because I have customized most of mine. But then again, I don't plan on selling them either.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:12   #3
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
The only way it adds IMHO, is IF the modification happens to be something I want, and would do for myself sooner or later. Even then, really it wouldn't add, it just wouldn't detract.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:14   #4
Cole125
Silver Membership

It depends on the type of modification and who does it. If its done by a professional gun smith, and you can prove it, yes it increases value.

A bubba gun smith job reduces value.

Last edited by Cole125; 02-10-2013 at 15:15..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:18   #5
bac1023

If you have a well known smith do the custom work, it can increase value.

Otherwise, it generally hurts value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:19   #6
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

It most often decreases its value.
Old 02-10-2013, 15:27   #7
deputy tom

I lost my shirt selling a custom 1911 done by a well known IPSC Master shooter and renown gunsmith. The finished product didn't shoot any better than a Norinco I had at the time.I only shoot stock guns now.YMMV. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:29   #8
jakebrake
cracker

it all too often reduced the value, and the owner isn't aware of that fact. when they try to sell it, it becomes one helluva rude awakening.

some modifications (if done right) can increase a value. but i wouldn't engrave my 1911 hoping to increase the value.
Old 02-10-2013, 16:19   #9
45caldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post

This.......
Old 02-10-2013, 16:29   #10
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
it all too often reduced the value, and the owner isn't aware of that fact. when they try to sell it, it becomes one helluva rude awakening.

some modifications (if done right) can increase a value. but i wouldn't engrave my 1911 hoping to increase the value.
For instance, one of the "I shouldn't have let it get way" guns in my life was a highly customized S&W 58. It was perfectly done by a major well known company "Magna-port" but in it's caliber with a 3" barrel it was handloader's gun. Factory ammo t the time was all full throttle hunting ammo.

I saw it sell 3 times at well less than a stock 58 would have brought. Now that I handload I would pay more for it than I did my stock 58. But it would still be a "niche" gun, within a "niche"
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:29   #11
ProCarryNAustin

Send a message via Yahoo to ProCarryNAustin
Quote:
if you have a well known smith do the custom work, it can increase value.

-----
+1
Old 02-10-2013, 16:31   #12
barth
six barrels

I think of customizing a gun much like customizing a car.
Generally it doesn't increase the value.
And sometimes can actually decrease the value.
Particularly if the gun cannot be returned to a stock condition.
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:53   #13
raven11

I remeber seeing a CZ-75B customized by CZ custom , trigger, hammer, sights and 4-5 magazines , he priced it at $850 and it went for months without selling I think he got tired of trying to sell it

So unfortunitaly I do think custom guns for whatever reason bring less money
Old 02-10-2013, 18:53   #14
RonS

If the average gun owner recognizes the name on the gun from having seen it on the cover of American Handgunner, maybe. Otherwise it is like a custom van, the value is reduced in most cases.
Old 02-10-2013, 19:10   #15
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I hope it doesn't hurt the value, because I have customized most of mine. But then again, I don't plan on selling them either.
Its all in WHO customizes it. In the case of most of yours, yes!
Old 02-10-2013, 19:36   #16
Bruce M

My guess also is that the less well known the customizer, the more likely the value will deteriorate.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:56   #17
ak103k

I think it depends on whats being done, and whos doing it.

Back in the late 60's, early 70's, if you wanted the latest and greatest in 1911's, and some others, you had to make some changes. Those guns tended to bring more, especially if done by the right people.

These days, most of that type stuff comes in just about any flavor you want from the factory.

Personally, I still prefer some of those early 70's guns over the new factory stuff. Never really had any of the function issues the new stuff always seems to have.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 23:49   #18
RJ's Guns

Quote:

I agree with Brian.

Not only does it make the firearm less valuable, I will not even purchase a customized firearm unless the work was done by a well known gunsmith.

However I would like to purchase a Sig or H&K, for a good price, that has been customized (particularly with their comp trigger job) by Gray's Guns

http://grayguns.com/

RJ
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:43   #19
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:

This. If you have something worked over by Yost, Christiansen, Vickers, etc., it adds immensely to the gun's value, for both the name recognition, and the fact that most of the great 'smiths have long backlogs.People are willing to pay a lot more up front to have a gun worked on by one of the legends now rather than later.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Last edited by crazymoose; 02-11-2013 at 09:44..
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49   #20
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

In general, it hurts. Whether due to lower intrinsic value or because of decreased interest is mere semantics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
I don't know why but any time I see a heavily modified 1911 like a Colt or a Springfield, the work generally looks awful and sometimes mods to things like the feed ramp make me cringe.

It seems to be the case that guns are set up to run right from the factory, most of the time.

I have had a local 'smith modify my SP01 with some parts, including a competition hammer, extended firing pin spring, etc.
The trigger pull is great on it now.
But if whatever reason I wanted it to be stock, I have all the parts and could easily swap it back.

But sometimes people modify guns permanently, including screwing with 1911 frame/slide fit and feed ramp and dremel work on stuff that ruins the gun. Also, swapping out stock parts and selling them off/losing them and having a gun made from random manufacturers. I seem to see this a lot in 1911 stuff.

I can see legitimate custom shop work increasing the value of a gun, but amateur kitchen table smith jobs to me makes the gun seem less valueable, even if people swear up and down otherwise.

Your thoughts?