Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2013, 16:20   #1
goldencub

Just bought my first HP ammo!

Bought Speer Gold Dot HP today for my G19 today. I purchased my first firearm a little late in life, but better late than never! I have fired 200 rounds at the range since I purchased my G19 about 6 weeks ago and if I could find more range ammo I would probably be practicing more. No one near me has any 9mm range ammo (SW Ohio) so today I bought a 3rd 15rd clip and HP ammo, next purchase will be a safe. I have already purchased a Fobus holster, taken the Florida CCW class and I'm buying a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB holster on Monday. I have been on this site nearly everyday since my purchase and learn something new everytime I visit.
goldencub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 16:25   #2
vinniej123

Send a message via AIM to vinniej123
Very good choice in gun and ammo. I carried the gold dots in my g23 for a long time. Switched to Hornady critical defense @ the black Friday sale this year, for no other reason then I wanted 165gr.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-09-2013, 16:25   #3
CincyBrad

Before anyone else jumps on you, I'll say it. It's a magazine, not a clip.
Ohio Glockers #58
CincyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 16:30   #4
ithaca_deerslayer

What grain?

50 or 20 box?

+P or not?

Group size at how many yards?

Any jams or stoppages yet?

Cleaned before shooting it?

What oil?

You left out a lot of details

Old 02-09-2013, 16:35   #5
Cheeseburger1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
What grain?

50 or 20 box?

+P or not?

Group size at how many yards?

Any jams or stoppages yet?

Cleaned before shooting it?

What oil?

You left out a lot of details

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Cheeseburger1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 16:40   #6
goldencub

I bought a 20 box, 147 grain, not +p. I havent had any jams yet at the range. I have only shot at indoor range in Vandalia( just north of Dayton), which is 10 minutes from my house. I purchased a bore snake and REM oil and have cleaned my G19 as soon as I get home after going to the range. First time I went to the range I rented a lane for an hour with only 100 rounds not knowing how long it would take, needless to say I was done in 15-20 minutes. 2nd time I went I took my wife and we both shared another 100 rounds of which she probably fired 30 rounds.
Old 02-09-2013, 16:45   #7
GeorgiaGlocker
Incirlik AB

I only carry Speer gold dots.
Old 02-09-2013, 16:48   #8
Kentguy

Goldencub..."Bought Speer Gold Dot HP today for my G19 today..."

First of all congratulation on the new G19, I have one and really love it, one of the most versatile pistols I have.

Speer Gold Dot HP ammunition is an excellent choice of home/self defense. Although you did not mention what weight bullet you choose, may I recommend the 124g bullets for 9mm. This is a personal choice for me however I have found this to be an good middle ground bullet (as apposed to 115g or 147g).

Whatever you choose practice with the same weight bullet as you carry, this will keep your feel and reaction time consistent.

Good luck and be safe.
Old 02-09-2013, 17:03   #9
goldencub

Thanks KentGuy, I'm amazed at just how easy it is to break down this weapon. I have read the manual and watched videos on where and how much oil to apply when cleaning. I certainly don't want to offend anyone with my inexperience with this site, I have never really been on any type of forum. My son is attending Kent State and really loves the Kent area. Is there a noticeable difference with weight of the ammo between range ammo say 115 to the 147? I have been using American Eagle 115 FMJ at about $15/box for 50 rounds and I paid $26/box for 20 rounds of the Gold Dot.
Old 02-09-2013, 17:08   #10
CincyBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencub View Post
Thanks KentGuy, I'm amazed at just how easy it is to break down this weapon. I have read the manual and watched videos on where and how much oil to apply when cleaning. I certainly don't want to offend anyone with my inexperience with this site, I have never really been on any type of forum. My son is attending Kent State and really loves the Kent area. Is there a noticeable difference with weight of the ammo between range ammo say 115 to the 147? I have been using American Eagle 115 FMJ at about $15/box for 50 rounds and I paid $26/box for 20 rounds of the Gold Dot.
A tip, order your carry ammo online. You can get a box of 50 rounds for $2-3 more than what you paid for 20. The 20 round boxes tend to very over priced.
Ohio Glockers #58
CincyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 17:12   #11
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Great choice in both ammo & pistol!!... Welcome to GT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 17:14   #12
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Is there a noticeable difference with weight of the ammo between range ammo say 115 to the 147? I have been using American Eagle 115 FMJ at about $15/box for 50 rounds and I paid $26/box for 20 rounds of the Gold Dot.
That stuff gets argued all day long on this website.

In my opinion, the most important thing is you shoot whatever functions well in your gun

I like 124gr.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 02-09-2013 at 17:45..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 17:44   #13
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Go here http://www.sgammo.com/ and DROOL! I like the Remington Golden Sabers in 124 +P. $26 for 50 rounds .... if you can find it!

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke

Last edited by robhic; 02-09-2013 at 17:46..
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 18:01   #14
sugarcreek
familyman

Thanks for being an enthusiastic gun owner!! God bless you...
Old 02-09-2013, 18:02   #15
unit1069

I wish I'd made as wise a choice for a first pistol as you did. Congratulations on a great start.

And with Speer Gold Dot you've started out with the top line. I haven't shot any 147-grain ammo in my 9mm pistol but I understand the standard pressure in that caliber/weight configuration performs just as well as the +P variety.
Old 02-09-2013, 19:59   #16
goldencub

I was very fortunate I think. I bought a used model that appeared to show very little usage. There was no sign of a "smiley" on the barrel what so ever. After shooting a 100 rounds of WWB there was more wear on the barrel than what there was when I purchased it for $430 with 2 magazines, lock, case and casings from 2/2012. I am thinking of buying a second Glock already, possibly a .45 caliber.
Old 02-09-2013, 21:59   #17
FLAHOTROD

Quote:
I am thinking of buying a second Glock already, possibly a .45 caliber.
Good thinking.

It appears you have been bitten by the multiple-gun bug. Relax, it happens to just about all of us.

I see where you live in Ohio but applied for a Florida CCW permit. Planning to move down here?

Florida Glocker #112, S&W #112, Ruger #112a, Rimfire #112, SNS #112
FLAHOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 22:11   #18
goldencub

Not planning on moving to Florida right now, Florida CCW permit training is only 2 hours and Ohio's is 12 hours. So there are Ohio trainers offering the Florida CCW for $45 a person + $112 Florida CCW permit fee. Waiting on Florida's Dept. Natural Resources to process my app. I think Fla also has more reciprotory states than Ohio and the permit lasts 2 years more than Ohios. In addition Ohio permits require law officials to have your CCW info., vs Florida where no law enforcement has your CCW info.
Old 02-09-2013, 22:29   #19
FLAHOTROD

Good to know. I did not know Ohio, or other states, would recognize their residents holding an out of state CCW.

By the way, we appreciate your $112, too.

Florida Glocker #112, S&W #112, Ruger #112a, Rimfire #112, SNS #112
FLAHOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 23:00   #20
unit1069

Quote:
I was very fortunate I think. I bought a used model that appeared to show very little usage. There was no sign of a "smiley" on the barrel what so ever. After shooting a 100 rounds of WWB there was more wear on the barrel than what there was when I purchased it for $430 with 2 magazines, lock, case and casings from 2/2012. I am thinking of buying a second Glock already, possibly a .45 caliber.
Here's a suggestion that you might consider. You have put only 200 rounds downrange in your new G-19 that from your description may very well be practically NIB. I know 9mm is difficult to find but from what I can tell .45ACP is even harder to find these days. You might put your money into enough 9mm range and JHP self-defense ammo to satisfy yourself that you'll have one pistol ready for an emergency instead of two that are in the process of proving out. Once you have one ready pistol you can then purchase the other and devote time to putting it through its paces before having to depend on it.