You Talkin ToMe

Massachusetts governor bans driving

I guess they have now run out of things to ban...lol

http://washingtonexaminer.com/articl...976?slideout=1
Old 02-09-2013, 00:53   #2
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

CT did the same too. It is a pure public safety measure, with the expectation of between 16-28" of snow.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:04   #3
FloridaGun
-> 10mm <-

Relax, it's just apart of the normalization process of the governement further encroaching on your liberties. Getting everyone ready for the new world order...... So just go ahead and practice bending over and getting shafted.

-FloridaGlockers #500 -Kalashnikov Klub #51

GOA and NRA Lifetime Member
FloridaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:10   #4
elsolo

He just chose poor terminology, the more popular way to say the same thing is "road closure" except for them it's all public roads instead of just the mountain pass kind of thing.

Last edited by elsolo; 02-09-2013 at 01:10..
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Any chance it will snow enough to make New England "tip over, capsize and sink" like Guam nearly did?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48   #6
Ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
CT did the same too. It is a pure public safety measure, with the expectation of between 16-28" of snow.
No, its a control measure.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48   #7
bear62

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
He just chose poor terminology, the more popular way to say the same thing is "road closure" except for them it's all public roads instead of just the mountain pass kind of thing.
Good point ....... Road closure makes more sense.... We have quite a few of those here in Colorado...... "Ban" takes on a whole new meaning these days.........
Old 02-09-2013, 05:58   #8
exmdshooter
WWJMBD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Any chance it will snow enough to make New England "tip over, capsize and sink" like Guam nearly did?
It'd sure solve a lot of our nation's problems if a large chunk of the Northeast did just that... and we simultaneously had an earthquake that caused the same thing to happen to a big chunk of California. Just think of it: The United States of Flyover Country... almost heaven.
and Black Rifle club member #423
Pennsylvania Glockers club member #107
exmdshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:59   #9
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

"Everything is illegal in Massachusetts."

4pm must have been tough to enforce. Otoh, I instituted a 12pm driving ban at my house. Lol
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02   #10
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Deval didn't want to look like Ed King back in 78 with thousands of stranded motorists. But he looked more like Mike Bloomberg in setting a ban time much later than anyone would likely be on the road. It wasn't "I don't want mass strandings." It was,"If I can save one life. . . and collect some money for the state coffers."

78 was a surprise. This wasn't. Grow up, Deval.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:05   #11
aspartz

Here in MN it is not uncommon for the DOT to close roads due to storms. In southern MN there are actually gates that come down over the freeway ramps, not unlike railroad grade crossing arms.
It used to be that closing a road meant travel at your own risk. AFAIK, it now carries a penalty.

That said, banning driving seems like an overreach. Should the governor of the state be empowered to mandate that people not drive on local streets?.

ARS.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-09-2013, 07:09   #12
Shiloh228

As a former Massachusetts driver (maybe "recovering" is a better term...), I was heartened by the thread title...based on my experiences up there, much of Massachusetts driving should be banned!
Shiloh228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41   #13
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

They don't call them Mass holes for nuttin.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:46   #14
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
They don't call them Mass holes for nuttin.

The Okie Corral

Driving is a privilege

Stay sage gang.

Click HERE
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:51   #15
paynter2
It ain't over

Driving is one thing. But they went too far with this!

NEW HAMPSHIRE

A blizzard warning is in effect through 4 p.m. Saturday for portions of the state. Gov. Maggie Hassan declared a state of emergency but stopped short of ordering everyone off the roads.

Hundreds of schools were closed Friday, airlines canceled flights and sporting and civic events were postponed.

State-run liquor stores were slated to close at 6 p.m. Friday to encourage people to get off the roads by 7 p.m., when the storm is supposed to intensify.

___
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35   #16
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynter2 View Post
Driving is one thing. But they went too far with this!

NEW HAMPSHIRE

A blizzard warning is in effect through 4 p.m. Saturday for portions of the state. Gov. Maggie Hassan declared a state of emergency but stopped short of ordering everyone off the roads.

Hundreds of schools were closed Friday, airlines canceled flights and sporting and civic events were postponed.

State-run liquor stores were slated to close at 6 p.m. Friday to encourage people to get off the roads by 7 p.m., when the storm is supposed to intensify.

___
That right there is social engineering at it's finest.

Now if they ordered the itty-bitty clothing bars with dancing girls closed at 6pm, that would have been unjust and an outrage.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39   #17
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

I bet a lot of the people saying this is unjust live n the south or places with no snow. Weve got unplowed streets with 2 feet of snow and 30-40 mph winds. Emergency services would be swamped with the amount of people going off the road. No driving ban here but its literally impossible anyway.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:56   #18
Patchman
Florist

The governor should not ban driving. Instead, the Governor should order that no agencies waste their resources by responds to motorists stranded because they were out driving, unprepared, and got stuck. And if the stranded motorist is blocking a road, have the plow push it off the road temporarily.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 02-09-2013 at 10:57..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58   #19
mikeflys1
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
I bet a lot of the people saying this is unjust live n the south or places with no snow. Weve got unplowed streets with 2 feet of snow and 30-40 mph winds. Emergency services would be swamped with the amount of people going off the road. No driving ban here but its literally impossible anyway.
Enough of that independent thought. The black helicopters will be out to pick you up, shortly.
mikeflys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03   #20
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynter2 View Post

___

There was a rash of reports from stores reporting shoplifting and grab-and-run on booze, wine, beer.

But none for condoms and such. Which explains why historically, births go up 9 months after such events such as blackouts and heavy winter storms.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 02-09-2013 at 10:55..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06   #21
raven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I would elect Hank "Tippin" johnson just for the lol's

raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote